REPOST: PB components use only 1 connection from 50 connections connection cache

Hello all,

I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar.

I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this
forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough.

I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the backend.
Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server
reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports
that only one session is active from the Jaguar server.
Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested
this from 2 machines there was still only one session. The same when I
tried calls to different components.

This means that when I get a full load, about 50-100 sessions, these are
all served with only one connection.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this?
It's about to go in production (delay 1 month) so I could really use some
help!

technical details are at the bottom

Thanks in advance,

Frank van den Thillart

I use EAServer 3.5 where Jaguar runs as a web- and applicationserver with
Powerdynamo as the Web extension. The PB components have the instance
properties concurrent and bind thread on and the rest off. Only data-aware
components require transactions. The database is Oracle 8i and I use native
OCI 8.0 connection

The connectionstring I use is
"UseContextObject='Yes',CacheName='CC_FEPDB_OCI'"

0
Frank_van_den_Thilla

How many concurrent components were instantiated?  You will only use one
connection per component.  If all the calls are synchronous, this is the
expected behavior.  Were your 30 calls from 30 different clients executing
simultaneously?

Carson

Carson Hager
Team Sybase
Cynergy Systems, Inc.
Sybase Enterprise Application Studio Consulting and Training
http://www.cynergysystems.com

<Frank_van_den_Thillart> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar.
>
> I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this
> forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough.
>
> I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the
backend.
> Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server
> reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports
> that only one session is active from the Jaguar server.
> Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested
> this from 2 machines there was still only one session. The same when I
> tried calls to different components.
>
> This means that when I get a full load, about 50-100 sessions, these are
> all served with only one connection.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this?
> It's about to go in production (delay 1 month) so I could really use some
> help!
>
> technical details are at the bottom
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Frank van den Thillart
>

> I use EAServer 3.5 where Jaguar runs as a web- and applicationserver with
> Powerdynamo as the Web extension. The PB components have the instance
> properties concurrent and bind thread on and the rest off. Only data-aware
> components require transactions. The database is Oracle 8i and I use
native
> OCI 8.0 connection
>
> The connectionstring I use is
> "UseContextObject='Yes',CacheName='CC_FEPDB_OCI'"

0
Carson
7/12/2001 2:15:47 PM
What is the com.sybase.jaguar.component.thread.safe property set to?
If it's FALSE, you'll only get one instance of your component
executing at any given time, causing serialization of the requests, so
that could explain why only one connection is ever in use.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:26:25 -0400, Frank_van_den_Thillart wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar.
>
>I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this
>forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough.
>
>I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the backend.
>Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server
>reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports
>that only one session is active from the Jaguar server.
>Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested
>this from 2 machines there was still only one session. The same when I
>tried calls to different components.
>
>This means that when I get a full load, about 50-100 sessions, these are
>all served with only one connection.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this?
>It's about to go in production (delay 1 month) so I could really use some
>help!
>
>technical details are at the bottom
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Frank van den Thillart
>

>I use EAServer 3.5 where Jaguar runs as a web- and applicationserver with
>Powerdynamo as the Web extension. The PB components have the instance
>properties concurrent and bind thread on and the rest off. Only data-aware
>components require transactions. The database is Oracle 8i and I use native
>OCI 8.0 connection
>
>The connectionstring I use is
>"UseContextObject='Yes',CacheName='CC_FEPDB_OCI'"

0
joneil
7/12/2001 11:01:25 PM
Jim,

I've checked the setting of the
com.sybase.jaguar.component.thread.safe property but it's said
to TRUE.

Even with 2 computers I only get a 'Peak maximum connections active'
in my runtime info of 1 and Oracle shows only 1 session.
The clients both activate 15 new browser windows
in which the component call is done. They get filled eventually
but this way I can't test if the connection caches are working
and my client can look at the runtime info.

Thanks for responding.

Frank van den Thillart
0
Frank_van_den_Thilla
7/16/2001 9:23:09 AM
Carson,

Each of the calls was made in a seperate browser window who
executed simultaneously, so I would expect the calls to be
asynchronous. The calls were made on 2 client computers
which each opened 15 browser windows.
Each browser window executed the same component call with
different parameters.

The runtime info shows 'Peak Maximum connections active'
of 1 everytime and only 3 connections opened.
Oracle shows that only 1 connection is made by the EA Server
machine.

Thanks for responding,
Frank van den Thillart
0
Frank_van_den_Thilla

Powerbuilder components use only 1 connection from connection cache
Hi all, I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar. I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough. I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the backend. Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports that only one session is active from the Jaguar server. Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested this f...

Powerbuilder components use only 1 connection from connection cache #2
Hi all, I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar. I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough. I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the backend. Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports that only one session is active from the Jaguar server. Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested this f...

Powerbuilder components use only one connection of 50 conn connection cache
Hi all, I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar. I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough. I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the backend. Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports that only one session is active from the Jaguar server. Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i tested this f...

How to setup connection property in Connection Cache using EAServer 3.6.1 + JDBC 2.0
Hi, The following properties is my connection cache property. Server Name ---> NetworkProtocol=Tds:Server=localhost:Port=4100:DatabaseName=odwas Class Name ---> com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnectionPoolDataSource I am using the JDBC 2.0 to connect with my ASE 12.0 Server. I check all of the books about JDBC API. I could not find more information about connection property with JDBC 2.0 + Sybase jConnect 5.2. I already try to use the connection cache property file but it could not work. Do anyone know how to put the "PACKETSIZE" property to "Server Na...

not connected when I am connected

What i-connect driver can be used for Powerbuilder 10.2.1 connect to Informix 11.50?
We have powerbuilder 10.2, it use i-connect 2.8.1 to connect to informix v7.3 database, we are planning to upgrade informix to version 11.5, can someone tell me what version of i-connect (or informix client sdk) can work with powerbuilder 10.2 and informix 11.50? what powerbuilder native driver need to be installed? can we use the most recent i-connect version v3.5 and "IN9 informix v9.x" native drive? anybody have any issue with this setup? Thank you in advance. Sorry, is the the correct place to post my question? any TeamSybase member can help? Thanks Tony I thin...

What i-connect driver can be used for Powerbuilder 10.2.1 connect to Informix 11.50?
We have powerbuilder 10.2, it use i-connect 2.8.1 to connect to informix v7.3 database, we are planning to upgrade informix to version 11.5, can someone tell me what version of i-connect (or informix client sdk) can work with powerbuilder 10.2 and informix 11.50? what powerbuilder native driver need to be installed? can we use the most recent i-connect version v3.5 and "IN9 informix v9.x" native drive? anybody have any issue with this setup? Thank you in advance. ...

What i-connect driver can be used for Powerbuilder 10.2.1 connect to Informix 11.50?
We have powerbuilder 10.2, it use i-connect 2.8.1 to connect to informix v7.3 database, we are planning to upgrade informix to version 11.5, can someone tell me what version of i-connect (or informix client sdk) can work with powerbuilder 10.2 and informix 11.50? what powerbuilder native driver need to be installed? can we use the most recent i-connect version v3.5 and "IN9 informix v9.x" native drive? anybody have any issue with this setup? Thank you in advance. Please see you original post. Tony wrote: > We have powerbuilder 10.2, it use i-connect 2.8.1 to connec...

Using connection caches from PB component
how do you use a connection cache from a PB component that's stored in jaguar ? you lot have said before but I have forgot and can't find it on deja anywhere thanks Matt e.g. give the parameters for SQLCA as -------------- SQLCA.DBMS = "O73 ORACLE 7.3" SQLCA.DBParm = "Disablebind=0,UseContextObject='Yes',CacheName='TESTCONCACHE',GetConnectionOption = 'JAG_CM_NOWAIT'" --------------------- And connect to database. Rest is the same as using it in PB. -Hitesh Matthew Green wrote: > how do you use a connectio...

Database connection profiles when using connection caches
My client has been creating traditional client / server applications. I've convinced him to move to multi tier with EAServer. It wasn't a hard sell, he was already considering it. In developing his client / server apps he has implemented a security system on the database based upon the user's database login info - this is complete with roles and such. It appears a lot of people have read-only access to certain tables, etc. He would like to maintain that. However, when connecting with a connection cache I am not using the user's id unless I have a connection cache fo...

pb component using Jaguar Connection Cache
When I use my pb component to connect to db through a connection Cache, If I set "Release Connection Option" of the connection cache property to "JAG_CM_UNUSED", if some client use the component simultaneously, the client program is "frozen" when they connect to db through the connection Cache. How can I resolve this problem? thanks Never tried it. Why are you using this option? Carson ___________________________________________________________ Carson Hager Team Sybase Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. Enterprise Application Studio 3.5...

JSP connection refused, PB connection OK, same component
Greetings I'm setting up the production Jaguar for an oncoming stage 1 small release. This is on a new neverbeforeused installation on Solaris, Jaguar 3.6. My connection cache pings, but I wanted to install my old test component (PB) that retrieves a datastore and returns HTMLDW to make sure. This worked OK on our test Solaris and our development NT PC, same deployment. Trying to connect from JSP though (separate web server, IIS/JRUN) to the production component always gives "server4:9000 connection refused" after a wait. So, I connected from a client PB mini app that j...

Unable to connect the oracle database using connection cache
Hi I created a connection cache for oracle database with the following parameters in jag manager In Database connection properties tab: ------------------------------------------- Server Name = jdbc:odbc:xyz ( where xyz is the dsn name created in windows ODBC setup) User Name = bgb password = bgb In Driver properties tab: --------------------------- DLL or class name = sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver JDBC option is checked In Cache properties tab: --------------------------- Enable cache-by-name access is checked I am able to ping the connection cache successfully in con...

Problem with JDBC-Connection without using a connection-cache
Hello everybody! I want to establish a JDBC-connection from a PowerBuilder Component to a "Oracle" (I�m sorry, but I have to) Database, without using a connection cache. When i try to connect to the database in the PowerBuilder-Component I get the following error-message: User '****' could not be connected to the database '*****'! ErrorCode=999; ErrorText=Non SQL Error : InvocationTargetException: On getCache. The connection cache was not found. My PowerBuilder-Code is: SQLCA.DBMS = "JDS - Sun JavaVM" SQLCA.LogPass = "******" SQLC...

Web resources about - REPOST: PB components use only 1 connection from 50 connections connection cache - sybase.easerver.general

Arrest made in connection with California mosque fire
CNN Arrest made in connection with California mosque fire CNN (CNN) A California man was arrested Saturday in connection with a fire at a ...

"News Feed" For Slower Connections: Facebook's Strategy To Build A Stronger User Base
The changes in News Feed will more efficiently show relevant stories in a slow connection and let users compose comments when they are offline. ...