Negative Value for Connections Active in Monitoring Connection Caches

I just found the oddest thing.  I had an error with a component.  When I
looked in the Jaguar log I found a message saying something line 'connection
not open' relating to one of my connection caches.  When I looked at that
connection cache under runtime monitoring I found that the active value
was -2.

This is probably related to another issue where I was getting DB connection
problems between components.  I was testing the cause out by making two of
the components non-pooled.  I thought this might force the transaction to
commit when my code was obviously missing something somewhere when did not
finish the SetComplete.

Has anyone seen this negative value before?

TIA,
--
Matthew Fleck
Product Development Manager

0
Matthew

We've been seeing that for as long as we've had Jaguar (and that's been a
while).

I believe it's just an on-going bug in the runtime monitoring.

Mark Maslow

"Matthew Fleck" <mattf_no_spam@twoplus.com> wrote in message
> I just found the oddest thing.  I had an error with a component.  When I
> looked in the Jaguar log I found a message saying something line
'connection
> not open' relating to one of my connection caches.  When I looked at that
> connection cache under runtime monitoring I found that the active value
> was -2.
>
> This is probably related to another issue where I was getting DB
connection
> problems between components.  I was testing the cause out by making two of
> the components non-pooled.  I thought this might force the transaction to
> commit when my code was obviously missing something somewhere when did not
> finish the SetComplete.
>
> Has anyone seen this negative value before?
>
> TIA,
> --
> Matthew Fleck
> Product Development Manager
> Video Communications, Inc.

0
Mark
3/27/2001 9:45:55 PM
Probably the sanity check for the connection cache is not working and all
the time there is used a new connection.
This might be a hint for you. If this is helpful, I'll give you more
details.

Regards,

Dorin Farcas

"Matthew Fleck" <mattf_no_spam@twoplus.com> wrote in message
> I just found the oddest thing.  I had an error with a component.  When I
> looked in the Jaguar log I found a message saying something line
'connection
> not open' relating to one of my connection caches.  When I looked at that
> connection cache under runtime monitoring I found that the active value
> was -2.
>
> This is probably related to another issue where I was getting DB
connection
> problems between components.  I was testing the cause out by making two of
> the components non-pooled.  I thought this might force the transaction to
> commit when my code was obviously missing something somewhere when did not
> finish the SetComplete.
>
> Has anyone seen this negative value before?
>
> TIA,
> --
> Matthew Fleck
> Product Development Manager
> Video Communications, Inc.

0
Dorin
3/28/2001 12:48:36 PM
Thanks Dorin, I would like some more information.  I could accept the
display just having a bug if it were not for the error message in the log.

--

"Dorin Farcas" <farcad@home.com> wrote in message
> Probably the sanity check for the connection cache is not working and all
> the time there is used a new connection.
> This might be a hint for you. If this is helpful, I'll give you more
> details.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dorin Farcas
>
> "Matthew Fleck" <mattf_no_spam@twoplus.com> wrote in message
> > I just found the oddest thing.  I had an error with a component.  When I
> > looked in the Jaguar log I found a message saying something line
> 'connection
> > not open' relating to one of my connection caches.  When I looked at
that
> > connection cache under runtime monitoring I found that the active value
> > was -2.
> >
> > This is probably related to another issue where I was getting DB
> connection
> > problems between components.  I was testing the cause out by making two
of
> > the components non-pooled.  I thought this might force the transaction
> > commit when my code was obviously missing something somewhere when did
not
> > finish the SetComplete.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this negative value before?
> >
> > TIA,
> > --
> > Matthew Fleck
> > Product Development Manager
> > Video Communications, Inc.

0
Matthew
3/28/2001 5:00:22 PM
Check if sanity check is enabled for the connection cache, then try if "
Select 1" ( this is the default check) is working for the database that
connection cache is configured.

Regards,

Dorin

> Thanks Dorin, I would like some more information.  I could accept the
> display just having a bug if it were not for the error message in the log.
>
> --
> Matthew Fleck
> Product Development Manager
> Video Communications, Inc.
>
> "Dorin Farcas" <farcad@home.com> wrote in message
> > Probably the sanity check for the connection cache is not working and
all
> > the time there is used a new connection.
> > This might be a hint for you. If this is helpful, I'll give you more
> > details.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dorin Farcas
> >
> > "Matthew Fleck" <mattf_no_spam@twoplus.com> wrote in message
> > > I just found the oddest thing.  I had an error with a component.  When
> > > looked in the Jaguar log I found a message saying something line
> > 'connection
> > > not open' relating to one of my connection caches.  When I looked at
> that
> > > connection cache under runtime monitoring I found that the active
value
> > > was -2.
> > >
> > > This is probably related to another issue where I was getting DB
> > connection
> > > problems between components.  I was testing the cause out by making
two
> of
> > > the components non-pooled.  I thought this might force the transaction
> > > commit when my code was obviously missing something somewhere when did
> not
> > > finish the SetComplete.
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen this negative value before?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > --
> > > Matthew Fleck
> > > Product Development Manager