memory leak on CORBA component lookups in Java in EAS 5.2.0, EAS 5.3.0

We are in the process of migrating from EAS 4.2.0 to either EAS 5.2.0 or EAS
5.3.0, and, from our testing, there appears to be a small leak when calling
org.omg.CORBA.ORB.string_to_object() in our Java CORBA components. The
problem is, we make such intercomponent calls in services, so the little
leak quickly becomes a big one. This was not a problem under EAS 4.2.0.

This is under a Windows environment. I don't think it's all intercomponent
calls, though:  It seems fine on one of our Java CORBA services, which calls
a shared Java CORBA component. The problem does exist in our other services.
The difference I can see is that the component being called which does leak
is a pooled Java CORBA component. (But making it shared instead of pooled
isn't an option, because it needs to several instances with different
instance variable values.)

I didn't see an EBF release to address this. Is anyone else aware of this
problem? Is there a solution? Maybe a CodeXchange fix?

As a workaround, I'm looking into caching references to other components, so
the number of calls to string_to_object() is minimized. My concern, though,
is can these references stored in instance variables on the component become
stale, which would lead to runtime failures at some point in the future? And
if so, how can I test them to see if they're valid, prior to returning them
again instead of doing a new call to string_to_object()? For instance, in
PowerBuilder, you can do an isValid() on the component handle. Is there
something similar in Java? (Ideally, I'd like to solve the problem in the
wrapper method we have that calls string_to_object(), as opposed to adding
new error handling code on every intercomponent call.)

Right now my caching strategy uses a HashMap which maps a string containing
the component name to an org.omg.CORBA.Object. If the lookup in the HashMap
returns null, it makes a new call to string_to_object() and caches that in
the HashMap prior to returning it. Otherwise it returns the existing
reference from the HashMap.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom George

0
Tom

Tom:

This is the first I've heard of it.  Have you opened a bug with Sybase
Technical support?  If so, please post the tracking number.  If not, let
me know and I'll see if I can open one for you.  (But you might want to
do it yourself, since you can track your own bugs but not internally
created ones.)

Jonathan

Tom George wrote:
> We are in the process of migrating from EAS 4.2.0 to either EAS 5.2.0 or EAS
> 5.3.0, and, from our testing, there appears to be a small leak when calling
> org.omg.CORBA.ORB.string_to_object() in our Java CORBA components. The
> problem is, we make such intercomponent calls in services, so the little
> leak quickly becomes a big one. This was not a problem under EAS 4.2.0.
>
> This is under a Windows environment. I don't think it's all intercomponent
> calls, though:  It seems fine on one of our Java CORBA services, which calls
> a shared Java CORBA component. The problem does exist in our other services.
> The difference I can see is that the component being called which does leak
> is a pooled Java CORBA component. (But making it shared instead of pooled
> isn't an option, because it needs to several instances with different
> instance variable values.)
>
> I didn't see an EBF release to address this. Is anyone else aware of this
> problem? Is there a solution? Maybe a CodeXchange fix?
>
> As a workaround, I'm looking into caching references to other components, so
> the number of calls to string_to_object() is minimized. My concern, though,
> is can these references stored in instance variables on the component become
> stale, which would lead to runtime failures at some point in the future? And
> if so, how can I test them to see if they're valid, prior to returning them
> again instead of doing a new call to string_to_object()? For instance, in
> PowerBuilder, you can do an isValid() on the component handle. Is there
> something similar in Java? (Ideally, I'd like to solve the problem in the
> wrapper method we have that calls string_to_object(), as opposed to adding
> new error handling code on every intercomponent call.)
>
> Right now my caching strategy uses a HashMap which maps a string containing
> the component name to an org.omg.CORBA.Object. If the lookup in the HashMap
> returns null, it makes a new call to string_to_object() and caches that in
> the HashMap prior to returning it. Otherwise it returns the existing
> reference from the HashMap.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom George

0
Jonathan
2/21/2006 3:56:50 PM
Jonathan,

No, I haven't opened a case yet. I thought I'd check with the group first to
see if this was a known issue.

Tom

"Jonathan Baker [Sybase]" <lastnamefirstinitial@sybase.com> wrote in message
> [...]
them
> > again instead of doing a new call to string_to_object()? For instance,
in
> > PowerBuilder, you can do an isValid() on the component handle. Is there
> > something similar in Java? (Ideally, I'd like to solve the problem in
the
> > wrapper method we have that calls string_to_object(), as opposed to
adding
> > new error handling code on every intercomponent call.)
> >
> > Right now my caching strategy uses a HashMap which maps a string
containing
> > the component name to an org.omg.CORBA.Object. If the lookup in the
HashMap
> > returns null, it makes a new call to string_to_object() and caches that
in
> > the HashMap prior to returning it. Otherwise it returns the existing

0
Tom
2/22/2006 3:07:00 PM
We opened a case with Sybase. The case number is 11207583.

> [...]
them
> > again instead of doing a new call to string_to_object()? For instance,
in
> > PowerBuilder, you can do an isValid() on the component handle. Is there
> > something similar in Java? (Ideally, I'd like to solve the problem in
the
> > wrapper method we have that calls string_to_object(), as opposed to
adding
> > new error handling code on every intercomponent call.)
> >
> > Right now my caching strategy uses a HashMap which maps a string
containing
> > the component name to an org.omg.CORBA.Object. If the lookup in the
HashMap
> > returns null, it makes a new call to string_to_object() and caches that
in
> > the HashMap prior to returning it. Otherwise it returns the existing

0
Tom

EAS 3.0 and PD 3.5 to EAS 3.6 #2
I currently have EAS 3.0 and PD 3.5 installed on my NT machine (on the "D" drive), and I want to upgrade to EAS 3.6. I assume I need to install EAS 3.5. Do I need to: -uninstall EAS 3.0? -install EAS 3.5 on the "C" drive? -install the PD 3.51 update? (before or after the EAS 3.6 upgrade) And, can I: -run PD under IIS and JSP under EAS at the same time? -run PD and JSP under EAS at the same time? -run PD under IIS at one time, and JSP under EAS at a different time? My ideal would be able to maintain my current PD under IIS development work, and...

FastCGI Memory Leak on Win2000 with perl-5.8.0,5.8.1,5.8.2,5.9.0
I have been testing all the version of perl on Win2000 with FasCGI.. From the version 5.8.0, there were memory leaks with FastCGI. Earlier versions include perl-5.7.3 worked fine. I have been digging the sources more than a year, but I could not find out. Is anybody solve this memory problem ? Regards, RisaPapa ...

EJB1.0 components in EAS 3.5 cannot be debugged using PowerJ 3.5?
Please correct me if I am wrong. PowerJ 3.5 is NOT capable of debugging EJB 1.0 components deployed to EAS 3.5. Incorrect, I just did this to prove it with the SVU code. Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division Mark Valensky <MarkValensky@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:DUpWOtEZ$GA.96@forums.sybase.com... > Please correct me if I am wrong. > > PowerJ 3.5 is NOT capable of debugging EJB 1.0 components deployed to EAS > 3.5. > > > I have to disagree. I have not seen even one bean in SVU developed according to the EJB 1.0 specification...

Smoke [5.8.2] 21949 FAIL(Mc) cygwin_nt-5.0 1.5.5(0.94/3/2) (i686/1 cpu)
Automated smoke report for 5.8.2 patch 21949 on cygwin_nt-5.0 - 1.5.5(0.94/= 3/2) (i686/1 cpu) (PC09) using version=20 Report by Test::Smoke v1.18.11 (perl 5.8.2) [1 hour 13 minutes] O =3D OK F =3D Failure(s), extended report at the bottom X =3D test(s) failed under TEST but not under harness ? =3D still running or test results not (yet) available Build failures during: - =3D unknown or N/A c =3D Configure, m =3D make, M =3D make (after miniperl), t =3D make test-p= rep 21949 Configuration (common) none ------------ ------------------------------------------------...

EAS 3.0 and PD 3.5 to EAS 3.6
I currently have EAS 3.0 and PD 3.5 installed on my NT machine (on the "D" drive), and I want to upgrade to EAS 3.6. I assume I need to install EAS 3.5. Do I need to: -uninstall EAS 3.0? -install EAS 3.5 on the "C" drive? -install the PD 3.51 update? (before or after the EAS 3.6 upgrade) And, can I: -run PD under IIS and JSP under EAS at the same time? -run PD and JSP under EAS at the same time? -run PD under IIS at one time, and JSP under EAS at a different time? My ideal would be able to maintain my current PD under IIS development work, and...

No Connect with FF 2.0.0.5 and TB 2.0.0.5
Name: Matze Email: infoatpc-scenedotnet Product: Firefox Summary: No Connect with FF 2.0.0.5 and TB 2.0.0.5 Comments: Hello, I have problems with Firefox 2.0.0.5 and Thunderbird. As soon as this version is not installed comes I any longer into Internet. No connection is indicated with both. 2.0.0.4 runs without problems up to the update on 0.5 Does someone know somewhat about an error?? MfG Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

Upgrade from EAS 3.0 to EAS 3.5
Hello, we have PB65.x upgraded to EAS3.0 -> working ok (have to enter serial) Juts got update Version of EAS3.5. I tried to upgrade from EAS3.0 to EAS3.5, but Setup ist telling me "No EAS3.0 or 3.01 installed". Silly question, is this a joke? What to do? Andreas If I remember correctly there is an issue going from 3.0 to 3.5 directly. Contact tech support and they should be able to point you to 3.01 which should be installed first. steve [TeamSybase] Andreas Holz wrote: > > Hello, > > we have PB65.x upgraded to EAS3.0 -> working o...

FF-3.5.10 SM-2.0.5 TB-3.0.5 uploaded to netlabs/pub/mozilla/{APPLICATION}
Hi, some of you have seen it already, new versions of Firefox-3.5.x, Seamonkey-2.0.x and Thunderbird-3.0.x (with lightning) are on ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/mozilla/firefox ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/mozilla/seamonkey ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/mozilla/thunderbird Reorganization of the mozilla dir was necessary, since I've gotten problems with upload to the main directory. Since it was possible to upload in a subdirectory, I created for every application its own subdirectory. All versions report themselves as beta. However, this is due to their official release is coupled to the of...

Is 2.0.0.5 a bad release (like 2.0.0.3 was) ?
I'm seeing a lot of problems reported here with the upgrade to 2.0.0.5. Mostly it seems about add-ons not working and other features suddenly breaking. I got my first upgrade prompt last night and declined it. I think I'll continue declining it. Is there some kind of status page we can look at where known major bugs in the current build are listed out in a short list (rather than trolling through the bugzilla DB)? Maybe such a place also acknowledges that they know it's a bad release and plan to issue a 2.0.0.6 shortly, and advise us to not update to 5. ~dd d ...

EAS 3.0 ---> EAS 3.5 C3
We would like to go from EAS 3.0 to EAS 3.5 C3. (This includes everything PB/PD/PJ/Jaguar). WE have got all the EAS C3 patches. Could we go striaght to EAS C3 or not. If not, what steps are involved in between? We need a step wise guidance as we're new to EAS environment. Regards and much appreciated. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp "carlos" <carlos@usa.net> wrote in message news:coc5Lq8PAHA.273@forums.sybase.com... > We would like to go from EAS 3.0 to EAS 3.5 C3. (This...

stalled or no download: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060425 SUSE/1.5.0.3-7 Firefox/1.5.0.3
I experience stalled or no download of all (not only specific web-sites) using firefox while another browser "Konquereor" is working normally. Firefox is looking up.. connecting... transfering and then stalled sometimes I get the message "I cant find the server", suprisingly because the status shows transfering, or a login window for the router shows up what has not been seen with the other web browser. A second Linux PC in the network is working as supposed, the router is wide open... connection settings are alredy checked. May be anybody has a hint? Ber...

stalled transfer Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060425 SUSE/1.5.0.3-7 Firefox/1.5.0.3
I experience stalled or no download of all (not only specific web-sites) using firefox while another browser "Konquereor" is working normally. Firefox is looking up.. connecting... transferring and then stalled sometimes I get the message "I cant find the server", surprisingly because the status shows transferring, or a login window for the router shows up what has not been seen with the other web browser. A second Linux PC in the network is working as supposed, the router is wide open... connection settings are already checked. May be anybody has a hint? ...

PowerBuilder 5.0 to 5.0.0.2
I hope this the correct venue for this question. I have a fresh install of PB 5.0 and I need to upgrade it to 5.0.0.2. I have found plenty of reference/downloads to 5.0.0.4 on the sybase website, but I need to go from 5.0 to 5.0.0.2. Where can I download the correct patch/upgrade? Thanks 5.0.0.2 is no longer available. You can choose between 5.0.03 (bug infested) and 5.0.04 (stable). -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] Sybase Developer Network (SDN) - http://sdn.sybase.com MySybase - http://my.sybase.com "Dwayne Bordelon" <dwayne.bordelon@shawinc...

New versions after 1.5.0.12 2.0.0.3 and 2.0.0.4 do not work properly
Name: Jelle van Buuren Email: jelleatvan-buurendotnet Product: Firefox Summary: New versions after 1.5.0.12 2.0.0.3 and 2.0.0.4 do not work properly Comments: Helleo, I'm sorry to say I am not a webdeveloper expert at all, just a loyal and up till now satisfied daily user. I got lost in your official bug-reports-system, so had to do it this way. I don't even know if my problem can be called a bug, but please take a look to f.i. www.nbrecords.com or www.ns.nl through the new browser FF 2.0 etc. and then do so through FF 1.5.0.12 or IExplorer and you will notice immedi...

Web resources about - memory leak on CORBA component lookups in Java in EAS 5.2.0, EAS 5.3.0 - sybase.easerver.general

AirAsia disaster: Indonesia cites faulty component, crew response in crash
Pilots appear to have reset the computer system's circuit breaker, leading to a series of failures that caused them to lose control of the plane ...

Teardown of iPad Pro reveals revamped component layout
... Apple device teardown on the iPad Pro on Wednesday, revealing a reworked internal design dominated by massive batteries and bespoke audio components. ...

Japan follows US lead in banning certain Takata components
Filed under: Government/Legal , Safety , Japan Like the US, Japan will ban certain Takata's airbag inflators from vehicles in development, and ...

Samsung reportedly lost key iPhone 7 component business
... for Samsung , which is ironic considering the two companies are fierce rivals in the mobile business. The Korean giant produces various components ...

Crew, faulty component caused AirAsia crash
Indonesian investigators said crew action and a faulty component caused the AirAsia jet crash in the Java Sea last year, killing 162 passengers. ...

IDG Contributor Network: Four critical patches for November Patch Tuesday update core Windows and Office ...
Microsoft's November Patch Tuesday brings us four critical updates and eight important patches that attempt to resolve 54 reported vulnerabilities ...

Immigration Law Enforcement: A Vital Component Of National Security And Counterterrorism
While the administration claims that these refugees are being vetted, there is no way to actually screen these people

OLEDWorks finalizes acquisition of key parts of Philips OLED light source components business
OLEDWorks has announced that it has completed the acquisition of key OLED assets and relevant intellectual property from Royal Philips. Manufacturing ...

Teflon Component Tied to Kids' Weight Gain
PFOA, a main component of Teflon, has been linked to increased body fat and faster weight gain in children.