EAServer 5.5 problem

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade our TEST EAServer to 5.5 (Win 2003 server,
Oracle DB).
We're able to simulate user transactions by sending HTTP requests to
the ISS server pointed towards the EAServer.

If the CPU load of the "jagsrv.exe" is less than 50% in "windows task
manager", the server runs for days.
But if there is more than 50% CPU of the "jagsrv.exe" the EAServer
freezes after a few hours :
-	the logs are not updated (no sign of a problem at all in the logs).
-	the CPU usage of the "jagsrv.exe" drops to 0 .
-	it is not possible to access the EAServer by the "EAServere
manager".

Each time the EAServer froze the values at the "Windows task manager"
of the "mem usage" and "vm size" were different.

My questions are:
-	What is the recommended limit of CPU usage for EAServer 5.5?
-	What other parameters should be monitored to find the problem?

Thank  you,
Michael

0
Michael

voichekm@gmail.com wrote...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade our TEST EAServer to 5.5 (Win 2003 server,
> Oracle DB).
> We're able to simulate user transactions by sending HTTP requests to
> the ISS server pointed towards the EAServer.
>
> If the CPU load of the "jagsrv.exe" is less than 50% in "windows task
> manager", the server runs for days.
> But if there is more than 50% CPU of the "jagsrv.exe" the EAServer
> freezes after a few hours :
> -	the logs are not updated (no sign of a problem at all in the logs).
> -	the CPU usage of the "jagsrv.exe" drops to 0 .
> -	it is not possible to access the EAServer by the "EAServere
> manager".
>
> Each time the EAServer froze the values at the "Windows task manager"
> of the "mem usage" and "vm size" were different.
>
> My questions are:
> -	What is the recommended limit of CPU usage for EAServer 5.5?
> -	What other parameters should be monitored to find the problem?

How many concurrent users are you allowing?  Perhaps it is too high?  Or, maybe your
database is limiting the number of connections.  I have seen something like this happen
before.  Since you didn't mention them, it doesn't sound like you are getting memory alarms
in the log.  I usually see these from my PowerBuilder components when I push things too far
(in terms of using memory in very inefficient ways).
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
0
On Jun 2, 7:28=A0am, Jim Egan  <eganjp_nos...@compuserve.com> wrote:
> voich...@gmail.com wrote...
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm trying to upgrade our TEST EAServer to 5.5 (Win 2003 server,
> > Oracle DB).
> > We're able to simulate user transactions by sending HTTP requests to
> > the ISS server pointed towards the EAServer.
>
> > If the CPU load of the "jagsrv.exe" is less than 50% in "windows task
> > manager", the server runs for days.
> > But if there is more than 50% CPU of the "jagsrv.exe" the EAServer
> > freezes after a few hours :
> > - =A0the logs are not updated (no sign of a problem at all in the logs).=

> > - =A0the CPU usage of the "jagsrv.exe" drops to 0 .
> > - =A0it is not possible to access the EAServer by the "EAServere
> > manager".
>
> > Each time the EAServer froze the values at the "Windows task manager"
> > of the "mem usage" and "vm size" were different.
>
> > My questions are:
> > - =A0What is the recommended limit of CPU usage for EAServer 5.5?
> > - =A0What other parameters should be monitored to find the problem?
>
> How many concurrent users are you allowing? =A0Perhaps it is too high? =A0=
Or, maybe your
> database is limiting the number of connections. =A0I have seen something l=
ike this happen
> before. =A0Since you didn't mention them, it doesn't sound like you are ge=
tting memory alarms
> in the log. =A0I usually see these from my PowerBuilder components when I =
push things too far
> (in terms of using memory in very inefficient ways).
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]- Hide quoted text -

Jim,

You're right; there are no memory alarms in the log.
The number of connections to the database is low (around 2 connections
per 2-3 seconds).
I have two "users", which are two Unix scripts.
The scripts are doing this:
- send an HTTP request.
- wait for the answer.
- sleep for one second.
- do it all over again.

How can I tell that =93I=92m pushing too far=94?
What are the areas that need to be checked in such cases and what
tools do you suggest using?

Thank you,
Michael
0
Michael
6/2/2008 5:00:57 AM
voichekm@gmail.com wrote...
> On Jun 2, 7:28=A0am, Jim Egan  <eganjp_nos...@compuserve.com> wrote:
> > voich...@gmail.com wrote...
> > > Hi,
> >
> > > I'm trying to upgrade our TEST EAServer to 5.5 (Win 2003 server,
> > > Oracle DB).
> > > We're able to simulate user transactions by sending HTTP requests to
> > > the ISS server pointed towards the EAServer.
> >
> > > If the CPU load of the "jagsrv.exe" is less than 50% in "windows task
> > > manager", the server runs for days.
> > > But if there is more than 50% CPU of the "jagsrv.exe" the EAServer
> > > freezes after a few hours :
> > > - =A0the logs are not updated (no sign of a problem at all in the logs).=
>
> > > - =A0the CPU usage of the "jagsrv.exe" drops to 0 .
> > > - =A0it is not possible to access the EAServer by the "EAServere
> > > manager".
> >
> > > Each time the EAServer froze the values at the "Windows task manager"
> > > of the "mem usage" and "vm size" were different.
> >
> > > My questions are:
> > > - =A0What is the recommended limit of CPU usage for EAServer 5.5?
> > > - =A0What other parameters should be monitored to find the problem?
> >
> > How many concurrent users are you allowing? =A0Perhaps it is too high? =A0=
> Or, maybe your
> > database is limiting the number of connections. =A0I have seen something l=
> ike this happen
> > before. =A0Since you didn't mention them, it doesn't sound like you are ge=
> tting memory alarms
> > in the log. =A0I usually see these from my PowerBuilder components when I =
> push things too far
> > (in terms of using memory in very inefficient ways).
> > --
> > Jim Egan [TeamSybase]- Hide quoted text -

> Jim,
>
> You're right; there are no memory alarms in the log.
> The number of connections to the database is low (around 2 connections
> per 2-3 seconds).
> I have two "users", which are two Unix scripts.
> The scripts are doing this:
> - send an HTTP request.
> - wait for the answer.
> - sleep for one second.
> - do it all over again.
>
> How can I tell that =93I=92m pushing too far=94?
> What are the areas that need to be checked in such cases and what
> tools do you suggest using?

I would first use the runtime monitory within Jaguar Manager to verify that your components
are behaving like you expect.  Look for the number of active components to keep growing.
Since you said you have two connections to the database it sounds like your components are
committing OK and aren't holding connections.  That's a good start.

With your two "users" is this fire and forget?  Or is it serial (a new request cannot be
made until the prior request is complete)?

Also check overall memory utilization within Windows.  Is it creeping up consistently over
time?  If so then you may have a memory leak.  But without a memory alarm I'm not sure
what's going on.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
0
On Jun 4, 9:52=A0am, Jim Egan  <eganjp_nos...@compuserve.com> wrote:
> voich...@gmail.com wrote...
> > On Jun 2, 7:28=3DA0am, Jim Egan =A0<eganjp_nos...@compuserve.com> wrote:=

> > > voich...@gmail.com wrote...

> > > How many concurrent users are you allowing? =3DA0Perhaps it is too hig=
h? =3DA0=3D
> > Or, maybe your
> > > database is limiting the number of connections. =3DA0I have seen somet=
hing l=3D
> > ike this happen
> > > before. =3DA0Since you didn't mention them, it doesn't sound like you =
are ge=3D
> > tting memory alarms
> > > in the log. =3DA0I usually see these from my PowerBuilder components w=
hen I =3D
> > push things too far
> > > (in terms of using memory in very inefficient ways).
> > > --
> > > Jim Egan [TeamSybase]- Hide quoted text -

> > Jim,
>
> > You're right; there are no memory alarms in the log.
> > The number of connections to the database is low (around 2 connections
> > per 2-3 seconds).
> > I have two "users", which are two Unix scripts.
> > The scripts are doing this:
> > - send an HTTP request.
> > - wait for the answer.
> > - sleep for one second.
> > - do it all over again.
>
> > How can I tell that =3D93I=3D92m pushing too far=3D94?
> > What are the areas that need to be checked in such cases and what
> > tools do you suggest using?
>
> I would first use the runtime monitory within Jaguar Manager to verify tha=
t your components
> are behaving like you expect. =A0Look for the number of active components =
to keep growing. =A0
> Since you said you have two connections to the database it sounds like you=
r components are
> committing OK and aren't holding connections. =A0That's a good start.
>
> With your two "users" is this fire and forget? =A0Or is it serial (a new r=
equest cannot be
> made until the prior request is complete)?
>
> Also check overall memory utilization within Windows. =A0Is it creeping up=
 consistently over
> time? =A0If so then you may have a memory leak. =A0But without a memory al=
arm I'm not sure
> what's going on.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]- Hide quoted text -

What I=92m looking for is a name of a tool which can show the internal
Jaguar memory partitioning; what is given to PB, Java, =85 vs=92 what is
actually used.
Maybe this way we can find what needs to be tuned.
--
Michael
0
> What I=92m looking for is a name of a tool which can show the internal
> Jaguar memory partitioning; what is given to PB, Java, =85 vs=92 what is
> actually used.
> Maybe this way we can find what needs to be tuned.

For that I can't help you.  Maybe Evan will pipe in here with something that will help.

For faster turnaround on answers you might want to open a case with Sybase Technical
Support.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
0

     Dump60SecondMemoryUsage
     SybHeap_dumpSummary
     PbHeap_dumpSummary

Then restart the server. Check the server log file for details.

sheet Jim Egan wrote:
> voichekm@gmail.com wrote...
>> What I=92m looking for is a name of a tool which can show the internal
>> Jaguar memory partitioning; what is given to PB, Java, =85 vs=92 what is
>> actually used.
>> Maybe this way we can find what needs to be tuned.
>>

> For that I can't help you.  Maybe Evan will pipe in here with something that will help.
>
> For faster turnaround on answers you might want to open a case with Sybase Technical
> Support.
0
Evan
6/6/2008 2:13:53 AM
On Jun 6, 4:13=A0am, Evan Ireland <eirel...@sybase.com> wrote:
> For EAServer 6.X, using the console, on the property page for your
> Server, under Tasks, enable:
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0Dump60SecondMemoryUsage
> =A0 =A0 =A0SybHeap_dumpSummary
> =A0 =A0 =A0PbHeap_dumpSummary
>
> Then restart the server. Check the server log file for details.
>

> sheet Jim Egan wrote:
> > voich...@gmail.com wrote...
> >> What I=3D92m looking for is a name of a tool which can show the interna=
> >> Jaguar memory partitioning; what is given to PB, Java, =3D85 vs=3D92 wh=
at is
> >> actually used.
> >> Maybe this way we can find what needs to be tuned.
>
> > For that I can't help you. =A0Maybe Evan will pipe in here with somethin=
g that will help.

> > For faster turnaround on answers you might want to open a case with Syba=
se Technical
> > Support.- Hide quoted text -

I'm using EAServer 5.5.
Are there any suggestions/tools to tackle the memory issue on 5.5?

By the way, would it be a wise step to move from 5.5 to version 6.xx?
If so, what is the best 6.xx version and what patches to use?

Thank you,
Michael
0
Michael
6/8/2008 4:42:38 AM
See http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1027319

Michael wrote:
> On Jun 6, 4:13 am, Evan Ireland <eirel...@sybase.com> wrote:
>> For EAServer 6.X, using the console, on the property page for your
>> Server, under Tasks, enable:
>>
>>      Dump60SecondMemoryUsage
>>      SybHeap_dumpSummary
>>      PbHeap_dumpSummary
>>
>> Then restart the server. Check the server log file for details.
>>

>> sheet Jim Egan wrote:
>>> voich...@gmail.com wrote...
>>> For that I can't help you.  Maybe Evan will pipe in here with something that will help.
>>> For faster turnaround on answers you might want to open a case with Sybase Technical
>>> Support.- Hide quoted text -
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm using EAServer 5.5.
> Are there any suggestions/tools to tackle the memory issue on 5.5?
>
> By the way, would it be a wise step to move from 5.5 to version 6.xx?
> If so, what is the best 6.xx version and what patches to use?
>
> Thank you,
> Michael
0
Evan

EAServer 5.5 IIOP Connections vs EAServer 5.2
We just upgrade from EAServer 5.2 to 5.5. We are noticing different behavior with the iiop sessions. We are running the same code on both versions. Basically we only have stateless session beans deployed to EAServer. With 5.2 the number of iiop sessions never goes above 2. However with version 5.5 the number of iiop sessions grows quickly until it hits the max of 20 (I guess the developer version limit was changed from 5 to 20). Does anyone know if version 5.5 of EAServer change the way it manages the iiop connections? When are these connections released? Any information abo...

Cannot deploy EJB jar with EAServer Manager (EAServer 5.5 w/ jdk1.5)
Hello, After upgrading EAServer 5.2 to EAServer 5.5, I'm having trouble deploying my EJB jar file. If I attempt to deploy the EJB jar file using EAServer Manager, it fails outright with messages below. However, if I attempt to deploy using the jagant jag_deploy task it seems to function (there are warning messages that I've asked about in a separate post). Why can't I deploy with EAServer Manager? SYSTEM PARTICULARS: EAServer 5.5 with EBF EBF14146 -- Developer Edition Running Jaguar with -jdk15 "About Sybase Central" screen of EAServer Man...

Problem to start EAServer 5.5
Can not start EA Server 5.5. Error message: The procedure entry point JagClient_CPPLoadLibrary could not be located in the dynamic link library libjcc.dll. In Jaguarout.log is a message: Error: Unable to load EA Server Runtime Library: libjeas.dll Any suggestion, anyone? Check your pathing - have you got an earlier version of EAServer or PB that may be in your path before EAServer 5.5? -- Regards, Millard [TeamSybase] "Josef" <josef.mlensky@3lsystem.se> wrote in message news:46de7593@forums-1-dub... > Can not start E...

Seesion problems in EAServer 5.5
I deployed a J2EE app on a machine with a full machinename in this format machinename.subdomain1.subdomain2.domain.net. My session objects don't work when moving from one page to the other. I didn't fill-in the HTTP-domainname field in easerver properties but it still doesn't work... Even the Sybase WebConsole management webtool doesn't work! Anyone with a workaround? Please help! Your session objects are tied to the specific host name you gave to EAServer. If your machine has a different name, the cookies you set won't be set for the correct site. Check th...

Session problems in EAServer 5.5
I deployed a J2EE app on a machine with a full machinename in this format machinename.subdomain1.subdomain2.domain.net. My session objects don't work when moving from one page to the other. I didn't fill-in the HTTP-domainname field in easerver properties but it still doesn't work... Even the Sybase WebConsole management webtool doesn't work! Anyone with a workaround? Please help! Please don't cross-post. Thanks! Jonathan Shola Odutola wrote: > I deployed a J2EE app on a machine with a full machinename in this format > machinename.subdo...

PB 10.5 to PB 11.5 and EAserver 5.5
What are the steps to migrate from PB 10.5 to PB 11.5? I migrated the source code. What do I need to do on the serverside - I assume regenerating the proxies. Anything else? Where is the correct place for the PBVMs? 10.5's are located in the shared folder. TIA, Kevin Deploy to the server and regenerate the proxies. You can do a pbvm-only install of 11.5. Alternatively, copying the pbvm's into the shared folder shoulod work, though. -- Regards, Millard[TeamSybase] "Kevin Berez" <kaberezNOSPAM@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:...

Problem with startig EAServer Manager for EAServer 5
Hi all, I am new to this arena. I have installed EAServer 5.0 on my laptop. As far as I can tell everything went fine. I am following the instructions in chapter 2 Installing Easerver section Starting EAServer, ASA, and EAServer Manager. When I follow the instructions for starting EAServer Manager I get the following error message after I do step 4 Click Connect. org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE:douhas-laptop:9000- Connection refused douhas-laptop:9000-java.net ConnectException: Connection refused: connect minor code: 0 completed:No I don't even know where to start lookin...

EAServer 3.5 C5 and IE 5.0 vs 5.5
Latest issue in the production release of my first EAServer product... Environment: EAServer 3.5 C5 Build PB 10077 NT4, SP6 Oracle 8.1.7...using OCI connection caches When using the IE 5.0 browser, most things seem to work (all work in development environment of course). Users using IE 5.5 are getting the generic PB error in TryInvoke (calling a component method). That effectively invalidates the Jaguar server; thus, the server must be restarted. Has anyone else encountered this issue? I just now discovered it was the browser version causing the problem...I've been d...

EAServer upgrade from 4.2.5 to 5.5
Our application is currently running Enterprise Edition EAServer 4.2.5 on a Solaris 8 platform. We would like to upgrade to EAServer 5.5. Therefore, do we simply need to perform the 2 steps below? Step 1: Download the EAServer Developer - Product Release 5.2 Feb 2005 software install it Step 2: Download the EBF 13994: 5.5 Update from Jan 2007 and install it Thanks for you help. Dan That would be for your Development environment. Obviously, to migrate your Production servers, you'll need to acquire a license for each server instance. -- Paul Horan[Sybase] pau...

EAServer 5.3 JDK 1.5 problems
I've upgraded my EAServer to patch 14147, following it's instructions I've also changed the serverstart.bat and the setenv.bat. I can deploy a jar created using JDK 1.4.2_06, and create stubs and skeletons (deploying manually or using ant scripts). When I deploy the same code in jar file compilied with JDK 1.5.0_09 I get a bunch of warnings: [jag_gen_stubs] java.lang.ClassFormatError: version number not valid which looks like this in the Jaguar log: Mar 15 15:08:16 2007: 050015-Generate code for: Package / MyFramework Mar 15 15:08:16 2007: 050016-Generation c...

PB 10.5 and EAServer 5.3 (Intially posted on EAServer NewsGroup)
We are migrating from PB 9.0.1 to PB 10.5. Currently, we employ EAServer 5.1.0 in both development and production environments. The PB 10.5 installation guide states that if you migrate to PB 10.5 you need EAServer 5.3 or later. Can we migrate EAServer components built using PB 9.0.1 to PB 10.5 and deploy them to EAServer 5.1.0? Can we migrate JSP Targets built using PB 9.0.1 to PB 10.5 and deploy them to EAServer 5.1.0? We do not employ any functionality in reference to WebServices or any of the new Web features in PB 10.5. P.S. This question was initially posed on t...

EJB Deployment problem with EAServer 5.5 (Windows x86)
Hello, After upgrading EAServer 5.2 to EAServer 5.5, I'm having trouble deploying my EJB jar file. If I attempt to deploy with jag_deploy, the deployment seems to work (that is, the task reports success and I am able to use my EJBs), but I receive warning messages. I'm wondering about these warnings. I'm wondering if it's related to the compilation of generated skeletons and stubs: If I run jag_deploy and do not generate skeletons and stubs it runs without error and without warning. If I further use the jag_gen_stubsandskels task and do NOT compile, that task...

SQLCentral problems with ASE12.5.2 and EAServer 5.1
I added ASE 12.5.2 on my W2000 PC that has EAServer 5.1 on it. I lost the plugin for EAS but got it back by reinstalling EAS client but I cannot see the installed ASE servers on the PC. Before in earlier versions I saw ASE plus the servers below and then logged in to configure them. Did I miss a step on the install for 12.5.2? TIA Joe ...

EJB Deployment problem with EAServer 5.5 (Windows x86)
Hello, After upgrading EAServer 5.2 to EAServer 5.5, I'm having trouble deploying my EJB jar file. If I attempt to deploy with jag_deploy, the deployment seems to work (that is, the task reports success and I am able to use my EJBs), but I receive warning messages. I'm wondering about these warnings. I'm wondering if it's related to the compilation of generated skeletons and stubs: If I run jag_deploy and do not generate skeletons and stubs it runs without error and without warning. If I further use the jag_gen_stubsandskels task and do NOT compile, that task...

Web resources about - EAServer 5.5 problem - sybase.easerver.general

Java IO - Real's HowTo

Sybase Product Documentation
Sybase On-line Product Manuals

Why Choose Jetty? - Webtide
There are several open source HTTP servers and Servlet Containers available: Eclipse Jetty, Apache Tomcat, Glassfish, Resin, so a frequently ...

Contact Us - Trusted SSL Certificate - Wildcard SSL Certificate - SSL
To contact Entrust online-support, see this page for phone, fax, email and hours of operation. Or to track a service request (SR), fill out the ...

Jetty Documentation - Jetty - Codehaus

Liquidmatrix Security Digest - Default Passwords List - Liquidmatrix Security Digest
A large portion of this list was compiled using the great work by Phenoelit [table id=2 /]

Sow Ching Shiong - Vulnerability Research: Directory Traversal
Description Sybase EAServer is the leading solution for distributed and Web-enabled PowerBuilder applications. EA Server can be used to run ...

Powerbuilder Consultant, Powerbuilder Migration and Bespoke Software Development in West Sussex
Based in West Sussex UK, Powersoft offer a wide range of bespoke software development services. Our Powerbuilder & EAServer developers have 20 ...

Java Networking - Real's HowTo