4.1.3 Upgrade from 4.1.1 problem

We are experiencing a problem starting our Jaguar 4.1.3 after we upgraded
from 4.1.1.  Both the debug and the regular Jaguar servers are not starting.
We get this message in the console window.

Application Integrator for CICS Option Licensed
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sybase/jaguar/util/JSystem
****
An error occurred in operating the Jaguar server.
Please check the console and server log file.
****
Press any key to continue . . .

When we check the jaguar.log file, the last few lines are :

Nov 01 11:15:30 2002: Java component debugging disabled
Nov 01 11:15:31 2002: Exception
Nov 01 11:15:31 2002: in thread "main"
Nov 01 11:15:31 2002: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
com/sybase/jaguar/util/JSystem
Nov 01 11:15:31 2002: JNI_Utils::init: java class JSystem not found
Nov 01 11:15:31 2002: Error occured while starting Java VM in component
Jaguar/JavaInit.
Nov 01 11:15:31 2002: CTS_JagComponent::load: failed for component
'Jaguar/JavaInit'
Nov 01 11:15:31 2002: CTS_Component::load: failed for component
'Jaguar/JavaInit'
Nov 01 11:15:31 2002: SEVERE ERROR - failed to access Jaguar Repository
Nov 01 11:15:31 2002: Repository::lookup:: FATAL ERROR
Nov 01 11:15:31 2002: FATAL ERROR in Session::create for component
'Jaguar/JavaInit'
Nov 01 11:15:31 2002: SEVERE ERROR - failed to access Jaguar/JavaInit

Any ideas?

Robert Nicholson

0
Robert
11/1/2002 6:17:23 PM
📁 sybase.easerver.general
📃 7903 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 12 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 182 Views

Hi Robert,

Is the classpath in the serverstart script setup properly??  Make sure the
following are in the classpath correctly -

%JAGUAR%\java\lib\easclient.jar
and
%JAGUAR%\java\lib\easserver.jar

Take Care,

Teryl
0
T_Taylor
11/1/2002 9:36:25 PM
Do I add the entries below to my Classpath system variable or do I put them
in the server start script? Is the server start script the serverstart.bat
file?

Robert

<T_Taylor> wrote in message
> Hi Robert,
>
> Is the classpath in the serverstart script setup properly??  Make sure the
> following are in the classpath correctly -
>
> %JAGUAR%\java\lib\easclient.jar
> and
> %JAGUAR%\java\lib\easserver.jar
>

> Take Care,
>
> Teryl

0
Robert
11/1/2002 9:49:52 PM
Robert Nicholson wrote:

>Do I add the entries below to my Classpath system variable or do I put them
>in the server start script? Is the server start script the serverstart.bat
>file?
>
>Robert
>
><T_Taylor> wrote in message
>

>>Hi Robert,
>>
>>Is the classpath in the serverstart script setup properly??  Make sure the
>>following are in the classpath correctly -
>>
>>%JAGUAR%\java\lib\easclient.jar
>>and
>>%JAGUAR%\java\lib\easserver.jar
>>

>>Take Care,
>>
>>Teryl

Robert,

First of all check if the file easclient.jar has been installed  in the
first place. During some installations we had some cases where the file
was not installed at all, even the installation process  finished properly.

HTH

0
Aggelos
11/1/2002 10:14:17 PM
I didnt know there was a 'process'. The upgrade notes for 4.1.3 say to
unizip the file into easerver directory and then unzip the jdk14.zip
into your shared folder, change the setenv.bat file and add a jdk14
entry and reboot... worked fine on the 2 machines i did this on.

a.

--
Adam Simmonds
Lead Analyst/Programmer - Web Development

0
Adam
11/1/2002 11:28:49 PM
Adam Simmonds (TeamSybase) wrote:

> I didnt know there was a 'process'. The upgrade notes for 4.1.3 say to
> unizip the file into easerver directory and then unzip the jdk14.zip
> into your shared folder, change the setenv.bat file and add a jdk14
> entry and reboot... worked fine on the 2 machines i did this on.
>
> a.
>
> Aggelos Paraskevopoulos [CENTENTIA] wrote:
>
>> Robert Nicholson wrote:
>>
>>> Do I add the entries below to my Classpath system variable or do I
>>> put them
>>> in the server start script? Is the server start script the
>>> serverstart.bat
>>> file?
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>
>>> <T_Taylor> wrote in message

>> Robert,
>>
>> First of all check if the file easclient.jar has been installed in
>> the first place. During some installations we had some cases where
>> the file was not installed at all, even the installation process
>> finished properly.
>>
>> HTH

Yes Adam you are right , there is no upgrade process :-) But our
jaguar.log  had similar errors when we had the issue I described
earlier.  Actually you can manage to get to this point if you install
4.1, 4.1.1 and then apply the 4.1.3 without a reboot in between. This
sequence will not allow you to observe that you have a broken 4.1.1
installation,. Then by applying 4.1.3 you would think it's  the latest
upgrade that is responsible for the mess. Hope that the next installer
will have more predictable results ;-)

If easclient.jar is indeed present then for sure it is somekind of
CLASSPATH issue.

Cheers
A.

0
Aggelos
11/2/2002 11:58:24 AM
Aggelos Paraskevopoulos [CENTENTIA] wrote:

> Adam Simmonds (TeamSybase) wrote:
>
>> I didnt know there was a 'process'. The upgrade notes for 4.1.3 say
>> to unizip the file into easerver directory and then unzip the
>> jdk14.zip into your shared folder, change the setenv.bat file and add
>> a jdk14 entry and reboot... worked fine on the 2 machines i did this on.
>>
>> a.
>>
>> Aggelos Paraskevopoulos [CENTENTIA] wrote:

>>> Robert,
>>>
>>> First of all check if the file easclient.jar has been installed in
>>> the first place. During some installations we had some cases where
>>> the file was not installed at all, even the installation process
>>> finished properly.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>

> Yes Adam you are right , there is no upgrade process :-) But our
> jaguar.log  had similar errors when we had the issue I described
> earlier.  Actually you can manage to get to this point if you install
> 4.1, 4.1.1 and then apply the 4.1.3 without a reboot in between. This
> sequence will not allow you to observe that you have a broken 4.1.1
> installation,. Then by applying 4.1.3 you would think it's  the latest
> upgrade that is responsible for the mess. Hope that the next installer
> will have more predictable results ;-)
>
> If easclient.jar is indeed present then for sure it is somekind of
> CLASSPATH issue.

Okay, we started with 4.1.1 working and the upgrade to 4.,1,3 was fine.
Now if someone can help me to get that damn Sysam to accept my
production licensing ....

A.

0
Adam
11/3/2002 12:41:02 AM
Adam & Aggelos,

Thanks for all your comments.

Granted there is not an upgrade 'process', this is the scenario:

    We upgraded from 4.1.0 to 4.1.1. I then started up 4.1.1 just to make
sure that my apps would still work. Then I followed the instructions for
upgrading to 4.1.3. I then rebooted. I still have not been able to get my
4.1.3 to work properly. Yes, easclient.jar is located in %JAGUAR%\java\lib.
I have added both files listed in Teryl's reply (easclient.jar and
easserver.jar) to my system CLASSPATH variable. I still don't know what to
do to resolve the issue. In other words, I am still getting the same
messages that I mentioned in my original post.

    Please advise.

Robert

"Aggelos Paraskevopoulos [CENTENTIA]" <angel@acm.org> wrote in message
> Adam Simmonds (TeamSybase) wrote:
>
> > I didnt know there was a 'process'. The upgrade notes for 4.1.3 say to
> > unizip the file into easerver directory and then unzip the jdk14.zip
> > into your shared folder, change the setenv.bat file and add a jdk14
> > entry and reboot... worked fine on the 2 machines i did this on.
> >
> > a.
> >
> > Aggelos Paraskevopoulos [CENTENTIA] wrote:

> >> Robert,
> >>
> >> First of all check if the file easclient.jar has been installed in
> >> the first place. During some installations we had some cases where
> >> the file was not installed at all, even the installation process
> >> finished properly.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>

> Yes Adam you are right , there is no upgrade process :-) But our
> jaguar.log  had similar errors when we had the issue I described
> earlier.  Actually you can manage to get to this point if you install
> 4.1, 4.1.1 and then apply the 4.1.3 without a reboot in between. This
> sequence will not allow you to observe that you have a broken 4.1.1
> installation,. Then by applying 4.1.3 you would think it's  the latest
> upgrade that is responsible for the mess. Hope that the next installer
> will have more predictable results ;-)
>
> If easclient.jar is indeed present then for sure it is somekind of
> CLASSPATH issue.
>
> Cheers
> A.

0
Robert
11/4/2002 2:03:53 PM
Sorry, my mistake, the error message in the jaguar.log file has changed. it
is as follows

Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: Server is running in 1PC Transaction mode.
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: Starting Jaguar CTS
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: Server's native codeset is iso_1
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: Library: 'libjjdk12.dll' for component type 'java'
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: Java JIT Compiler enabled
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: Java component debugging disabled
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: JNI_Utils::init: failed to register native methods for
JSystem
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: Error occured while starting Java VM in component
Jaguar/JavaInit.
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: CTS_JagComponent::load: failed for component
'Jaguar/JavaInit'
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: CTS_Component::load: failed for component
'Jaguar/JavaInit'
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: SEVERE ERROR - failed to access Jaguar Repository
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: Repository::lookup:: FATAL ERROR
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: FATAL ERROR in Session::create for component
'Jaguar/JavaInit'
Nov 04 07:08:33 2002: SEVERE ERROR - failed to access Jaguar/JavaInit

Robert

"Robert Nicholson" <NOSPAM nfnospam@mstar2.net> wrote in message
> Adam & Aggelos,
>
> Thanks for all your comments.
>
> Granted there is not an upgrade 'process', this is the scenario:
>
>     We upgraded from 4.1.0 to 4.1.1. I then started up 4.1.1 just to make
> sure that my apps would still work. Then I followed the instructions for
> upgrading to 4.1.3. I then rebooted. I still have not been able to get my
> 4.1.3 to work properly. Yes, easclient.jar is located in
%JAGUAR%\java\lib.
> I have added both files listed in Teryl's reply (easclient.jar and
> easserver.jar) to my system CLASSPATH variable. I still don't know what to
> do to resolve the issue. In other words, I am still getting the same
> messages that I mentioned in my original post.
>
>     Please advise.
>
> Robert
>
> "Aggelos Paraskevopoulos [CENTENTIA]" <angel@acm.org> wrote in message
> > Adam Simmonds (TeamSybase) wrote:
> >
> > > I didnt know there was a 'process'. The upgrade notes for 4.1.3 say to
> > > unizip the file into easerver directory and then unzip the jdk14.zip
> > > into your shared folder, change the setenv.bat file and add a jdk14
> > > entry and reboot... worked fine on the 2 machines i did this on.
> > >
> > > a.

> > Yes Adam you are right , there is no upgrade process :-) But our
> > jaguar.log  had similar errors when we had the issue I described
> > earlier.  Actually you can manage to get to this point if you install
> > 4.1, 4.1.1 and then apply the 4.1.3 without a reboot in between. This
> > sequence will not allow you to observe that you have a broken 4.1.1
> > installation,. Then by applying 4.1.3 you would think it's  the latest
> > upgrade that is responsible for the mess. Hope that the next installer
> > will have more predictable results ;-)
> >
> > If easclient.jar is indeed present then for sure it is somekind of
> > CLASSPATH issue.
> >
> > Cheers
> > A.

0
Robert
11/4/2002 2:12:18 PM
Hi Robert,

The serverstart file is your serverstart.bat file.  It has a section in it,
where it sets the class path that it needs when it runs the server.  If you
open up serverstart.bat and do a search in the file for CLASSPATH, you
could look to make sure that it is pointing to easclient.jar and
easserver.jar correctly.

Sometimes when an application can't find a class, it is because that class
or set of classes is not in the required class path.

Take Care,

Teryl
0
T_Taylor
11/4/2002 3:17:53 PM
Hi Robert,

One other quick thing.  When you installed the upgrade did you shut down
your server first??  You might have had a sharing violation when the files
were copied over.  Try shutting down the server and then re-unzipping 4.1.3
over the installation.  Also make sure anything like Jaguar Manager is
shutdown as well when you are doing the installation

Check to make sure that easserver.jar, easclient.jar and
easj2ee.jar are all in the %JAGUAR%\java\lib directory.  Check the rights
on all of these files to make sure they all have sufficient rights to
execute and check the classpath.

Take Care,

Teryl

0
T_Taylor
11/4/2002 3:44:51 PM
I have no idea why it is working now because I followed those instructions
to the letter. I just followed them again, and rebooted.

    Now it is working. I don't know what the problem was before, but it has
now been resolved.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Robert

<T_Taylor> wrote in message
> Hi Robert,
>
> One other quick thing.  When you installed the upgrade did you shut down
> your server first??  You might have had a sharing violation when the files
> were copied over.  Try shutting down the server and then re-unzipping
4.1.3
> over the installation.  Also make sure anything like Jaguar Manager is
> shutdown as well when you are doing the installation
>
> Check to make sure that easserver.jar, easclient.jar and
> easj2ee.jar are all in the %JAGUAR%\java\lib directory.  Check the rights
> on all of these files to make sure they all have sufficient rights to
> execute and check the classpath.
>
> Take Care,
>
> Teryl

0
Robert
11/4/2002 4:04:20 PM
In article <w#JFF4BhCHA.249@forums.sybase.com>, "Robert Nicholson"
<NOSPAM         nfnospam@mstar2.net> says...
> I have no idea why it is working now because I followed those instructions
> to the letter. I just followed them again, and rebooted.
>
>     Now it is working. I don't know what the problem was before, but it has
> now been resolved.

Glad you got it working.  I have seen this issue and it seems the
install may miss some files.  Possibly something was holding onto some
files during the install.

Mark
0
Mark