what's the difference between COM and OLE and ActiveX

Hi all,

what's the difference between COM and OLE and ActiveX?

Do they invoke PBVM60.dll when they are called? If so
how many copies of PBVM60.dll are loaded into memory?

Lei XU

0
Jugar
12/2/1998 9:43:00 PM
sybase.distributed 2187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I would try http://www.microsoft.com/com/default.asp

Dean

Jugar wrote in message ...
>Hi all,
>
>what's the difference between COM and OLE and ActiveX?
>
>Do they invoke PBVM60.dll when they are called? If so
>how many copies of PBVM60.dll are loaded into memory?
>
>Lei XU

0
Dean

multiple SMTP's and different IP's, domain names to send email from this server using different SMTP's
Is anybody can help me with this 2 issues we have: 1. We need to have multiple SMTP's installed on our server - how do you do that 2. We need to rotate different IP's, domain names to send email from this server using different SMTP's          Thanks   Third party mail server.  Look at Smartermail or iMail, Exchange if you need that much. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue. Is this only option? &n...

Create HTML Help doc's for MS's COM/ActiveX component for these unknown ones
Found a program link in ZDNet's Software Express news-Email March 28, 2002 http://clickthru.online.com/Click?q=93-V4nmQSdXTa2AnHGcFSBAQm4w the site is: http://www.devcomponents.com/ and the free program page is: http://www.devcomponents.com/comassistant/ It is for Windows only. ...

Opera's widgets vs IE's ActiveX vs FF's extentions.
I've asked the difference on Opera's forum http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=3D152376 The widgets designer answers some my paranoid quiestions. Tony. In grc.security Anthony OZ wrote: > I've asked the difference on Opera's forum > http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=152376 > > The widgets designer answers some my paranoid quiestions. Ahh... Thanks for posting. While it all sounds reassuring, I am not yet "supremely confident" here. I knew OS would follow it's security minded approach, but as with ...

What's the difference between 'Build' and 'Publish'
Greetings....this subject might belong in one of the Visual Studio forums but it's so danged noob-sque.... I'm particularly confused by the 'Precompiled' term in the Publish operation. I'm interested in the path of least resistance between my VS project and my public IIS webserver. thx--steve...  Build means creating the assembly of the project ( .dll or .exe file) wich contains MSIL and a manifest file. When you publish your project u just produce the structure of your folder without producing a .dll file when you want to deploy your Web Project. ...

What's the difference between 'Free' and 'Available' wrt dis
If I look at my disk utilization, in System Monitor under Gnome, I see File System details which lists Total, Free, Available and Used. The simple arithmetic works for Total, Free and Used, however in my case 'Available' is 12 GB less than 'Free'. Which unprincipled rogue stole 12 GB of my disk? Why, that's almost an armful; I want it back! Where did it go? -- *-They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.-* ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 20:...

What's Distributed.Com
I'm really new to the PC security scene and need all the help I can get. Have recently installed ZoneAlarm and a couple of times have gotten a pop up after boot saying something like Do you want to allow Distributed. Com services to act as a server Tech Info: Filename RPCSS.EXE Ver 4.71.2900 This program is asking for server rights Have scanned my maching with: Norton AV (of Norton System Works 2001) InoculateIT ver 5.2.x.x The Cleaner w/recent update Ad-aware nothing found I really don't understand any of this but i can't really think o...

PB 5, OLE's, and OCX's
Anyone have an idea that may solve this one: I create an OLE object, connect to a COM object, then use the COM object via OLE accordingly. However, when I build the application, the OLE object isn't being created. I created an ActiveX control (OCX) however PB 5 will no longer recognize, a.k.a. "see", the OCX control. Any ideas? Unfortunately, not by my choice, I don't have the option to migrate to a better version of Power Builder. Have you tried registering the ocx file... System32\regsvr32.exe directory\name.ocx HTH <Superman> wrote in me...

What's my Distribution List's email address?
Internal distribution lists work fine, and this is the first time I've created a distribution list that I need to have the outside world send e- mails to. The addressees on the list changes at various points due to employee turn-over. After I've created the distribution list, I'm not sure as to what is its external e-mail address. Here are the particulars: -GroupWise version 5.5EP -The GWIA does have the "Expand groups on incoming messages" enabled, on the "Address Handling" page of the GWIA's "SMTP/MIME Settings" page - "/Group...

OLE Control
I'm attempting to load a .bmp image into an OLE object using PowerBuilder 11.1. The OLE ActiveX is AddFlow5 and I am using it to graphically represent links between entities - people, organisations, addresses, vehicles, telephones, etc. Documentation for AddFlow5 gives an example in VB script to load the relevant 'picture' into a node, ie, SET node.picture = LOADPICTURE("C:\images\person.bmp"). I cannot find a suitable equivalent in PB 11 to either 'SET' or to 'LOADPICTURE' The developer of AddFlow suggested I try: OLEObject uo uo = C...

Replace 1's and 0's in a gridview column with Yes's and No's
Is it possible to change the display of a column in a gridview to show a Yes for all 1's and a No for 0's that display in a particular column of a gridview bound to a database?  If so, can someone share the way with me?  I am using ASP.NET 2.0 with VB Code Behind.  Thanks One way you can do is thrrough  CASE in your select statement: Select YesNoColumn= CASE yourColumn WHEN 1 THEN 'Yes' WHEN 0 THEN 'No' ELSE '' END FROM YourtableLimno <Columns>     <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="yourHeader" SortExpression="yourDataField"> ...

It's Linux !? No, it's BSD ! No, no, it's...
kFreeBSD http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD a Debian distro using the FreeBSD kernel ! ObiWan wrote: > kFreeBSD > > http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD > > a Debian distro using the FreeBSD kernel ! Why use a BSD kernel? I hope the reason is more than, just because they can. http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD_why It's easy to understand why the would want to use Debian packages. :) -- Jimmy Johnson Registered Linux User #380263 >> kFreeBSD >> >> http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD >> ...

Different behaviour between Atlas's DragPanel and Ajax's
<asp:Panel ID="Panel6" runat="server" Width="100%"> <asp:Panel BorderStyle="Solid" BorderWidth="2px" BorderColor="black" ID="headerPanel" runat="server" Width="100%" Height="20px"> <input type="text" id="iName" readonly="readonly" value="Drag me"/> </asp:Panel> <asp:Panel BorderStyle="Solid" BackColor="#0B3D73" ForeColor="whitesmoke" BorderWidth="2px" BorderColor="black" ID="Panel8" runat="server" Width="100%" CssClass="overflowHidden"> Something here </asp:Panel> </asp:Panel>The panel above working fine with Atlas's D...

Some tags have asp: 'namespace', some don't. What's the difference?
Take this code for instance:<asp:ObjectDataSource>    <SelectParameters>        <asp:ControlParameter>Why does SelectParameters not have the asp: prefix?When you ask a question, remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a reply which answers your question; this ensures the right forum member gets credit below for being helpful (and makes search more relevant too). SelectParameters is basically property of ObjectDataSource so prefix is not needed, since it is used to get the information from where a control should b...

Difference between CD's and DVD's upgradability? Whats that mean?
On the downloads page I notice the cd's are not upgradable, but the dvd free version is.. This seems backward to me. The cd's have less stuff so they should be able to be upgraded to the fuller version via the repos - or at least get all the stuff it's missing. Where as the dvd's are stuffed with over 3 gigs of things one would think it should not need any upgrading. Or are they talking about being upgradable to the paid for version? or something entirely different? -- HalJordan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

Web resources about - what's the difference between COM and OLE and ActiveX - sybase.distributed