Dropping Distributed PowerBuilder Support in PowerBuilder 8.0

I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to
be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer.  Is that true?
When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out.
0
Chuck_Kiefriter
8/18/2000 1:40:03 PM
sybase.distributed 2187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Target for PB8 is Q1 2001.  DPB is not being enhanced but the
capabilities will still be there.

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote:

>I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to
>be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer.  Is that true?
>When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out.

0
joneil
8/18/2000 3:51:09 PM
Chuck,

I apologize, but I gave you inaccurate information before.  In
PowerBuilder 8.0, support for DPB will be removed.  You will not be
able to migrate Distributed PowerBuilder applications to PowerBuilder
8.0.

This scenario was addressed in the PowerBuilder 7 release notes - and
in this case Sybase is removing the functionality, versus leaving it
in, but unsupported.  Following is the excerpt from the PB 7 release
notes:

Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB

     Sybase's strategic product plan for PowerBuilder includes use of
the Sybase Enterprise Application Server (EA
     Server) in place of Distributed PowerBuilder for distributed and
Web applications. No new functionality for
     Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB has been added to this
release.

     Please note that version 7.0 will be the final release of
PowerBuilder which will incorporate Distributed PowerBuilder
     functionality. We strongly recommend current Distributed
PowerBuilder applications are converted to EA Server
     applications using PowerBuilder 7.0, and that all new Web and
distributed applications take advantage of the
     distributed capabilities of EA Server.

Again my apologies to you and the rest of the forum for the previous
misinformation.

Jim O'Neil
Sybase Technical Support

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote:

>I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to
>be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer.  Is that true?
>When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out.

0
joneil
8/23/2000 4:40:02 PM
Out of curiousity,

did Sybase ever consider releasing a really low prices, scaled down version
of Jaguar (e.g. only PB NVOs, no Java/COM/CORBA), but for a price
more akin to what DPB would cost with only an Win32 version?

Something similar to the successful strategy Sybase has had with SQL
Anywhere
for the low-end and ASE for the high-end?

I think it would really kickstart a lot of PB shops who have to combat the
eternal
"but MTS is free" argument from managers...

Cheers,
Jacek Furmankiewicz
STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
Jim O'Neil [Sybase] <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> Chuck,
>
> I apologize, but I gave you inaccurate information before.  In
> PowerBuilder 8.0, support for DPB will be removed.  You will not be
> able to migrate Distributed PowerBuilder applications to PowerBuilder
> 8.0.
>
> This scenario was addressed in the PowerBuilder 7 release notes - and
> in this case Sybase is removing the functionality, versus leaving it
> in, but unsupported.  Following is the excerpt from the PB 7 release
> notes:
>
> Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB
>
>      Sybase's strategic product plan for PowerBuilder includes use of
> the Sybase Enterprise Application Server (EA
>      Server) in place of Distributed PowerBuilder for distributed and
> Web applications. No new functionality for
>      Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB has been added to this
> release.
>
>      Please note that version 7.0 will be the final release of
> PowerBuilder which will incorporate Distributed PowerBuilder
>      functionality. We strongly recommend current Distributed
> PowerBuilder applications are converted to EA Server
>      applications using PowerBuilder 7.0, and that all new Web and
> distributed applications take advantage of the
>      distributed capabilities of EA Server.
>

> Again my apologies to you and the rest of the forum for the previous
> misinformation.
>
> Jim O'Neil
> Sybase Technical Support
>
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote:
>
> >I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going
> >be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer.  Is that true?
> >When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out.

0
Jacek
8/23/2000 9:08:59 PM
I can't speak for product management on this, but I am forwarding the
note.

Jim

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:08:59 -0400, "Jacek Furmankiewicz"
<jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote:

>Out of curiousity,
>
>did Sybase ever consider releasing a really low prices, scaled down version
>of Jaguar (e.g. only PB NVOs, no Java/COM/CORBA), but for a price
>more akin to what DPB would cost with only an Win32 version?
>
>Something similar to the successful strategy Sybase has had with SQL
>Anywhere
>for the low-end and ASE for the high-end?
>
>I think it would really kickstart a lot of PB shops who have to combat the
>eternal
>"but MTS is free" argument from managers...
>
>Cheers,
>--
>Jacek Furmankiewicz
>STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
>Jim O'Neil [Sybase] <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> Chuck,
>>
>> I apologize, but I gave you inaccurate information before.  In
>> PowerBuilder 8.0, support for DPB will be removed.  You will not be
>> able to migrate Distributed PowerBuilder applications to PowerBuilder
>> 8.0.
>>
>> This scenario was addressed in the PowerBuilder 7 release notes - and
>> in this case Sybase is removing the functionality, versus leaving it
>> in, but unsupported.  Following is the excerpt from the PB 7 release
>> notes:
>>
>> Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB
>>
>>      Sybase's strategic product plan for PowerBuilder includes use of
>> the Sybase Enterprise Application Server (EA
>>      Server) in place of Distributed PowerBuilder for distributed and
>> Web applications. No new functionality for
>>      Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB has been added to this
>> release.
>>
>>      Please note that version 7.0 will be the final release of
>> PowerBuilder which will incorporate Distributed PowerBuilder
>>      functionality. We strongly recommend current Distributed
>> PowerBuilder applications are converted to EA Server
>>      applications using PowerBuilder 7.0, and that all new Web and
>> distributed applications take advantage of the
>>      distributed capabilities of EA Server.
>>

>> Again my apologies to you and the rest of the forum for the previous
>> misinformation.
>>
>> Jim O'Neil
>> Sybase Technical Support
>>
>> On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote:
>>
>> >I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going
>> >be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer.  Is that true?
>> >When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out.

0
joneil
8/23/2000 10:22:34 PM
Oh dear, this is what you may call a total disaster for us. I too was under
the impression DPB would continue in PB8. We where looking to PB8 for DBCS
support and a few other features, but need the DPB.
For all the discussions about the price of Jaguar being very reasonable, the
fact is it is too expensive for us, and rather complex to install and look
after. DPB is more than adequate in terms of features and scalability and is
very simple to install and use.

Jaguar is great if you are doing development work for internal use in a
company, it becomes impractical when selling your product to lots of
smallish clients dotted all around the world. If DBP is going then we need a
sort of Jaguar-Lite that is freely distributable with a minimum of set-up
parameters.

Otherwise its into the arms of .NET

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> Chuck,
>
> I apologize, but I gave you inaccurate information before.  In
> PowerBuilder 8.0, support for DPB will be removed.  You will not be
> able to migrate Distributed PowerBuilder applications to PowerBuilder
> 8.0.
>
> This scenario was addressed in the PowerBuilder 7 release notes - and
> in this case Sybase is removing the functionality, versus leaving it
> in, but unsupported.  Following is the excerpt from the PB 7 release
> notes:
>
> Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB
>
>      Sybase's strategic product plan for PowerBuilder includes use of
> the Sybase Enterprise Application Server (EA
>      Server) in place of Distributed PowerBuilder for distributed and
> Web applications. No new functionality for
>      Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB has been added to this
> release.
>
>      Please note that version 7.0 will be the final release of
> PowerBuilder which will incorporate Distributed PowerBuilder
>      functionality. We strongly recommend current Distributed
> PowerBuilder applications are converted to EA Server
>      applications using PowerBuilder 7.0, and that all new Web and
> distributed applications take advantage of the
>      distributed capabilities of EA Server.
>

> Again my apologies to you and the rest of the forum for the previous
> misinformation.
>
> Jim O'Neil
> Sybase Technical Support
>
> On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote:
>
> >I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going
> >be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer.  Is that true?
> >When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out.

0
Clive
8/24/2000 8:50:04 AM
Oh man, I think you're dreaming but this would be excellent.  I can say,
almost without hestiation, that our company would be EXTREMELY interested in
such a product.  Our problem is that we need something that will handle
20-30 users but I don't need all the Java/COM/CORBA support either.  It just
seems like a huge jump between the Small Business edition of EAServer to the
Advanced edition.  We sort of need something 'middle-o'-the-road'.  A
'no-frills' if you will.

anyway, for Jim O'Neil>> Please keep us posted, I would be very interested
in the results either way -- I'm in the middle of actually considering
giving MTS a shot, but this would make me stop and re-evaluate.

"Jacek Furmankiewicz" <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote in message
> Out of curiousity,
>
> did Sybase ever consider releasing a really low prices, scaled down
version
> of Jaguar (e.g. only PB NVOs, no Java/COM/CORBA), but for a price
> more akin to what DPB would cost with only an Win32 version?
>
> Something similar to the successful strategy Sybase has had with SQL
> Anywhere
> for the low-end and ASE for the high-end?
>
> I think it would really kickstart a lot of PB shops who have to combat the
> eternal
> "but MTS is free" argument from managers...
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Jacek Furmankiewicz
> STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
> Jim O'Neil [Sybase] <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > Chuck,
> >
> > I apologize, but I gave you inaccurate information before.  In
> > PowerBuilder 8.0, support for DPB will be removed.  You will not be
> > able to migrate Distributed PowerBuilder applications to PowerBuilder
> > 8.0.
> >
> > This scenario was addressed in the PowerBuilder 7 release notes - and
> > in this case Sybase is removing the functionality, versus leaving it
> > in, but unsupported.  Following is the excerpt from the PB 7 release
> > notes:
> >
> > Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB
> >
> >      Sybase's strategic product plan for PowerBuilder includes use of
> > the Sybase Enterprise Application Server (EA
> >      Server) in place of Distributed PowerBuilder for distributed and
> > Web applications. No new functionality for
> >      Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB has been added to this
> > release.
> >
> >      Please note that version 7.0 will be the final release of
> > PowerBuilder which will incorporate Distributed PowerBuilder
> >      functionality. We strongly recommend current Distributed
> > PowerBuilder applications are converted to EA Server
> >      applications using PowerBuilder 7.0, and that all new Web and
> > distributed applications take advantage of the
> >      distributed capabilities of EA Server.
> >

> > Again my apologies to you and the rest of the forum for the previous
> > misinformation.
> >
> > Jim O'Neil
> > Sybase Technical Support
> >
> > On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote:
> >
> > >I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going
> > >be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer.  Is that
true?
> > >When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out.

0
Travis
8/24/2000 4:29:59 PM
What might get closer to reality is a Small Business Edition of EAServer (which
costs about the same as a PB license, maybe a little less, so in effect it's
equivalent to the cost of a DPB Server license - ala PB6), but with a
cost-effective way to add to the number of users licensed. Current SBE allows 10
users, so if additional user licenses for SBE were available at say $25 per
user, that would make it more palatable?

Just a thought,

Bill Green

Travis Hettenbach wrote:

> [...]
> > > notes:
> > >
> > > Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB
> > >
> > >      Sybase's strategic product plan for PowerBuilder includes use of
> > > the Sybase Enterprise Application Server (EA
> > >      Server) in place of Distributed PowerBuilder for distributed and
> > > Web applications. No new functionality for
> > >      Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB has been added to this
> > > release.
> > >
> > >      Please note that version 7.0 will be the final release of
> > > PowerBuilder which will incorporate Distributed PowerBuilder
> > >      functionality. We strongly recommend current Distributed
> > > PowerBuilder applications are converted to EA Server
> > >      applications using PowerBuilder 7.0, and that all new Web and
> > > distributed applications take advantage of the
> > >      distributed capabilities of EA Server.
> > >

> > > Again my apologies to you and the rest of the forum for the previous

Bill Green[TeamSybase]
Good Links to know, good places to go:

News: Sybase Portal is live - Go http://my.sybase.com

Developer stuff on my.sybase.com
Find things like:
-- Print to PDF component
-- Lotus Notes E-Mail component
-- Taking existing PB apps to the web white paper
-- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
-- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)

PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com

Power3 - Custom Training  - http://www.power3.com
Bill Green @ Power3 - wgreen@power3.com

Bill
8/24/2000 5:34:59 PM
Actually that's a very good point.  We are very close to being able to use
the SBE.  I could probably get away with it at the moment for our new
development, but it wouldn't allow us to convert our existing apps to
EAServer.  Although it would be nice to have a smaller version that allowed
clustering.

It just seems right now that we are locked into only 3 options.  Although I
bet those cover 75% of the needs, it just seems like there needs to be a few
more options.  We always like flexibility!

Again, I would be willing to pay a little for additional users if it was
more affordable.  I also wouldn't need the JAVA & COM support.  (Nor the
Dynamo for that matter.)

"Bill Green[TeamSybase]" <bill.green@teamsybase.com> wrote in message
> [...]
the
> > > eternal
> > > "but MTS is free" argument from managers...
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > --
> > > Jacek Furmankiewicz
> > > STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
> > > Jim O'Neil [Sybase] <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message

PowerBuilder

> > true?
> > > >

> --
> Bill Green[TeamSybase]
> Good Links to know, good places to go:
>
> News: Sybase Portal is live - Go http://my.sybase.com
>
> Developer stuff on my.sybase.com
> Find things like:
> -- Print to PDF component
> -- Lotus Notes E-Mail component
> -- Taking existing PB apps to the web white paper
> -- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
> -- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)

8/24/2000 5:53:36 PM
I'm pretty sure clustering would not become an option. Clustering is only needed
for heavier loads, which you probably wouldn't get with 20-30 users (in most
cases). If clustering were a requirement, then I'd go for the Advanced Edition
anyway.

regards,
Bill

Travis Hettenbach wrote:

> [...]
> > Find things like:
> > -- Print to PDF component
> > -- Lotus Notes E-Mail component
> > -- Taking existing PB apps to the web white paper
> > -- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
> > -- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)
> >
> > PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com
> >
> > Power3 - Custom Training  - http://www.power3.com
> > Bill Green @ Power3 - wgreen@power3.com

Bill Green[TeamSybase]
Good Links to know, good places to go:

News: Sybase Portal is live - Go http://my.sybase.com

Developer stuff on my.sybase.com
Find things like:
-- Print to PDF component
-- Lotus Notes E-Mail component
-- Taking existing PB apps to the web white paper
-- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
-- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)

8/24/2000 8:24:42 PM
Well, you're probably right in most cases, but if you're using the same
servers to support other applications (PB or otherwise, EAServer or
otherwise), clustering may become an issue.

> [...]
> > > -- Print to PDF component
> > > -- Lotus Notes E-Mail component
> > > -- Taking existing PB apps to the web white paper
> > > -- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
> > > -- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)
> > >
> > > PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com
> > >
> > > Power3 - Custom Training  - http://www.power3.com
> > > Bill Green @ Power3 - wgreen@power3.com
> > >

> --
> Bill Green[TeamSybase]
> Good Links to know, good places to go:
>
> News: Sybase Portal is live - Go http://my.sybase.com
>
> Developer stuff on my.sybase.com
> Find things like:
> -- Print to PDF component
> -- Lotus Notes E-Mail component
> -- Taking existing PB apps to the web white paper
> -- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
> -- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)

8/24/2000 8:40:57 PM
Agreed, but if your deployment environment warrants it, you should probably move
up to Advanced Edition anyway. It's like buying 3 SBE's (cost), but includes
unlimited users and clustering. Worth the cost if your growth reaches that
point. I see SBE being limited to smaller implementations, either because it's a
small company, or a pilot project, or in many case, a commercial product (which
I'd consider Advanced Edition for rather than SBE becuase I never know what
number of users my customer may want - or I may offer both flavors). I think I
can deal with being required to move up to a more robust server if my number of
users or applications begins to grow to where I may need clsutering. Until then,
all components go into one server.

regards,
Bill

Travis Hettenbach wrote:

> [...]
> > Find things like:
> > -- Print to PDF component
> > -- Lotus Notes E-Mail component
> > -- Taking existing PB apps to the web white paper
> > -- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
> > -- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)
> >
> > PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com
> >
> > Power3 - Custom Training  - http://www.power3.com
> > Bill Green @ Power3 - wgreen@power3.com

Bill Green[TeamSybase]
Good Links to know, good places to go:

News: Sybase Portal is live - Go http://my.sybase.com

Developer stuff on my.sybase.com
Find things like:
-- Print to PDF component
-- Lotus Notes E-Mail component
-- Taking existing PB apps to the web white paper
-- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
-- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)

8/24/2000 9:00:11 PM
I honestly doubt whether .NET will be easier or simpler to
install/maintain than what you have right now...it's just not the
MS way of doing things...

Clive Collie <clive@clivec.ftech.co.uk> wrote in message
> Oh dear, this is what you may call a total disaster for us. I too was
under
> the impression DPB would continue in PB8. We where looking to PB8 for DBCS
> support and a few other features, but need the DPB.
> For all the discussions about the price of Jaguar being very reasonable,
the
> fact is it is too expensive for us, and rather complex to install and look
> after. DPB is more than adequate in terms of features and scalability and
is
> very simple to install and use.
>
> Jaguar is great if you are doing development work for internal use in a
> company, it becomes impractical when selling your product to lots of
> smallish clients dotted all around the world. If DBP is going then we need
> sort of Jaguar-Lite that is freely distributable with a minimum of set-up
> parameters.
>
> Otherwise its into the arms of .NET
>

> "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > Chuck,
> >
> > I apologize, but I gave you inaccurate information before.  In
> > PowerBuilder 8.0, support for DPB will be removed.  You will not be
> > able to migrate Distributed PowerBuilder applications to PowerBuilder
> > 8.0.
> >
> > This scenario was addressed in the PowerBuilder 7 release notes - and
> > in this case Sybase is removing the functionality, versus leaving it
> > in, but unsupported.  Following is the excerpt from the PB 7 release
> > notes:
> >
> > Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB
> >
> >      Sybase's strategic product plan for PowerBuilder includes use of
> > the Sybase Enterprise Application Server (EA
> >      Server) in place of Distributed PowerBuilder for distributed and
> > Web applications. No new functionality for
> >      Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB has been added to this
> > release.
> >
> >      Please note that version 7.0 will be the final release of
> > PowerBuilder which will incorporate Distributed PowerBuilder
> >      functionality. We strongly recommend current Distributed
> > PowerBuilder applications are converted to EA Server
> >      applications using PowerBuilder 7.0, and that all new Web and
> > distributed applications take advantage of the
> >      distributed capabilities of EA Server.
> >

> > Again my apologies to you and the rest of the forum for the previous
> > misinformation.
> >
> > Jim O'Neil
> > Sybase Technical Support
> >
> > On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote:
> >
> > >I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going
> > >be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer.  Is that
true?
> > >When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out.

0
Jacek
9/1/2000 5:57:28 PM
Jim, Clives comments below really hit the nail on the head.  I really hope
that Sybase considers this.  I don't need EJB today, could give a rats rump
about CORBA, only need to deploy my transaction server on NT for a few score
users.  On top of that, I'd like something *cheap* like ASA that I can sell
cheaply with my application.  I think you'd find your market penetration
increase as people scale up.  But for those that don't, you'd still promote
the use of PB language and NVO.  Wasn't that what DPB was supposed to be?

We're on the verge of coding all our business rules that were in PB NVOs to
VB/COM/MTS.  The writing is on the wall and the decision is all but made.
PB for us is becoming our pretty Windows client and nothing more.  Jag looks
like a great solid express train, but all I really needed was a chevy.  I
hope marketing looks at all these notes.

> I can't speak for product management on this, but I am forwarding the
> note.
>
> Jim
>
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:08:59 -0400, "Jacek Furmankiewicz"
> <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote:
>
> >Out of curiousity,
> >
> >did Sybase ever consider releasing a really low prices, scaled down
version
> >of Jaguar (e.g. only PB NVOs, no Java/COM/CORBA), but for a price
> >more akin to what DPB would cost with only an Win32 version?
> >
> >Something similar to the successful strategy Sybase has had with SQL
> >Anywhere
> >for the low-end and ASE for the high-end?
> >
> >I think it would really kickstart a lot of PB shops who have to combat
the
> >eternal
> >"but MTS is free" argument from managers...
> >
> >Cheers,
> >--
> >Jacek Furmankiewicz
> >STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
> >Jim O'Neil [Sybase] <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> >> Chuck,
> >>
> >> I apologize, but I gave you inaccurate information before.  In
> >> PowerBuilder 8.0, support for DPB will be removed.  You will not be
> >> able to migrate Distributed PowerBuilder applications to PowerBuilder
> >> 8.0.
> >>
> >> This scenario was addressed in the PowerBuilder 7 release notes - and
> >> in this case Sybase is removing the functionality, versus leaving it
> >> in, but unsupported.  Following is the excerpt from the PB 7 release
> >> notes:
> >>
> >> Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB
> >>
> >>      Sybase's strategic product plan for PowerBuilder includes use of
> >> the Sybase Enterprise Application Server (EA
> >>      Server) in place of Distributed PowerBuilder for distributed and
> >> Web applications. No new functionality for
> >>      Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB has been added to this
> >> release.
> >>
> >>      Please note that version 7.0 will be the final release of
> >> PowerBuilder which will incorporate Distributed PowerBuilder
> >>      functionality. We strongly recommend current Distributed
> >> PowerBuilder applications are converted to EA Server
> >>      applications using PowerBuilder 7.0, and that all new Web and
> >> distributed applications take advantage of the
> >>      distributed capabilities of EA Server.
> >>

> >> Again my apologies to you and the rest of the forum for the previous
> >> misinformation.
> >>
> >> Jim O'Neil
> >> Sybase Technical Support

0
Steve
9/6/2000 7:51:35 PM
I have to admit that a version of Jaguar with PB-only features for the price
of ASA
would be a very enticing combination.

Hope Sybase sees the light on offering this and competing with MTS in the
low-end where price matters.

Steve Van Dyke <dyker_dontspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Jim, Clives comments below really hit the nail on the head.  I really hope
> that Sybase considers this.  I don't need EJB today, could give a rats
rump
> about CORBA, only need to deploy my transaction server on NT for a few
score
> users.  On top of that, I'd like something *cheap* like ASA that I can
sell
> cheaply with my application.  I think you'd find your market penetration
> increase as people scale up.  But for those that don't, you'd still
promote
> the use of PB language and NVO.  Wasn't that what DPB was supposed to be?
>
> We're on the verge of coding all our business rules that were in PB NVOs
> VB/COM/MTS.  The writing is on the wall and the decision is all but made.
> PB for us is becoming our pretty Windows client and nothing more.  Jag
looks
> like a great solid express train, but all I really needed was a chevy.  I
> hope marketing looks at all these notes.
>
> Jim O'Neil [Sybase] <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > I can't speak for product management on this, but I am forwarding the
> > note.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:08:59 -0400, "Jacek Furmankiewicz"
> > <jfurmankiewicz@stssystems.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Out of curiousity,
> > >
> > >did Sybase ever consider releasing a really low prices, scaled down
> version
> > >of Jaguar (e.g. only PB NVOs, no Java/COM/CORBA), but for a price
> > >more akin to what DPB would cost with only an Win32 version?
> > >
> > >Something similar to the successful strategy Sybase has had with SQL
> > >Anywhere
> > >for the low-end and ASE for the high-end?
> > >
> > >I think it would really kickstart a lot of PB shops who have to combat
> the
> > >eternal
> > >"but MTS is free" argument from managers...
> > >
> > >Cheers,
> > >--
> > >--------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >Jacek Furmankiewicz
> > >STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
> > >Jim O'Neil [Sybase] <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message

> going
> true?

0
Jacek

PB 8.0 and distributed powerbuilder
I've heard rumors that Powerbuilder 8.0 will no longer support distributed powerbuilder but will instead require you to deploy to EAServer if you wish to continue to utilize a 3-tier environment. Can someone confirm or deny this rumor. We are beginning the process of researching EAServer and I'm sure we will eventually move in that direction however it would be somewhat disheartening to find out that Sybase is outright pulling the plug on their original 3-tier functionality. I guess I should be more specific on my question though: do they plan on pulling the non-EAServer dis...

Powerbuilder 9.0 vs. Powerbuilder 8.0
What is the difference in Powerbilder 9.0 and 8.0? I would like to point out that the Appeon newsgroup is monitored by Sybase and Appeon engineering staff who are very knowledgeable about Appeon issues. Question that are purely PowerBuilder-related are best answered by the staff and users of the PowerBuilder newsgroup: sybase.public.powerbuilder.XXXX. Please post to the appropriate newsgroup so you receive the help you desire. Thanks, Julie Jiang Appeon Corporation <dburris@onesolution.com> wrote in message news:40589011.2717.846930886@sybase.com... > What is the diffe...

Distributed PowerBuilder #8
Hi, I'd like to know if there is a production application running with Distributed PowerBuilder? Thanks in advance. -- Marcelo S. Dias, CPD DCS Inform�tica dias@dcs.com.br 5/3/01 Hi, to answer your question, we are about to deploy a dist. PB app here in a month. I have my doubts. Write me in June and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm searching the newsgroups for input on good reasons to transition FROM dist. PB (I know they don't support it anymore, we are looking for a better n-tier environment to build in). j.thomas, Century-National Insurance Co. L.A...

Powerbuilder 8 and distributed applications
Hey there, I have a question concerning Powerbuilder 8 and distributed applications. Currently we have a distributed application running under Powerbuilder 7. And it works like a charm. But as you all know, distributed applications are no longer supported by Sybase. So we want to upgrade to powerbuilder 8 before eventually we upgrade to powerbuilder 9 with a new application running on EAServer. The Sybase website clearly says that distributed programming has become obsolete in pb 8. And that it won't work in future releases (eg pb 9), but still works in pb 8. But actually it...

Migrating from PowerBuilder 6.5 to PowerBuilder 8.0
We are doing a feasibility study of migrating a PFC based PowerBuilder Application from v6.5 to v8.0. This application is heavily PFC depended and also includes many custom based core layers. If anybody has done (PFC based) powerbuilder migration prior kindly suggest the best approach on the following. 1) How to successfully migrate from PowerBuilder 6.5/PFC - PowerBuilder 8.0/PFC. 2) How to fix/resolve post migration errors etc... . Any help or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks and Regards Vamsi ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide....

Distributed PowerBuilder
I am in the process of moving an existing PB5 PFC application Distributed PB 5. I have several concerns in regards to the capabilities of this option. We are considering moving the database access along with the business NVOs/Rules from the client machine to an application server. These are some of the concerns we have... 1.In terms of using datastores on the server machine and datawindows on the client machine, how will the communication be facilitated? - should the datawindows on the client app be external? 2. In regards to the datawindow to server communication for r...

distributed powerbuilder
What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications but realizes a good way for interapplication communication. Also for smaller multitier functionality customer is not always interested in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons for stopping this technology. -- Chris Werner "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message news:Oa6MXhkHDHA.277@forums-2-dub... > What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not > powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications > but realizes a good way for i...

Distributed powerbuilder
Is it possible to establish a connection between two powerbuilder apps across the internet using TCP/IP and Winsock? I'm not going through a web browser, just straight from one app to another. I have tested this on an application on our LAN, and it works perfectly. But not so when I try it over the internet. Any ideas? The server that the applicaton server resides on is behind a firewall. Could this cause any problems? I'm running on WinNT/98/95 using PB 6.5 Jan Erik Hermansen On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:20:57 +0200, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.di...

Distributed PowerBuilder
I am in the process of moving an existing PB5 PFC application Distributed PB 5. I have several concerns in regards to the capabilities of this option. We are considering moving the database access along with the business NVOs/Rules from the client machine to an application server. These are some of the concerns we have... 1.In terms of using datastores on the server machine and datawindows on the client machine, how will the communication be facilitated? - should the datawindows on the client app be external? 2. In regards to the datawindow to server communication for r...

Win95 Support in PowerBuilder 8.0
Quick question... I was looking at the information on the PowerBuilder 8.0 Beta on Sybase's website. It says the following..... PowerBuilder8 will be able to be run on the following platforms when released: Microsoft Windows NT Microsoft Windows 98 Microsoft Windows 2000 Does this mean we will not be able to deploy our applications to Windows 95? I'm just wondering since we have a lot of customers that are still using Windows 95. TIA for any info. -- Jeff Gibson Frontrunner, LLC. http://www.frontrunner.com/ Have no idea, but I was at a Microsoft Office...

PowerBuilder 9.0 and PowerBuilder 10.0

Distributed PowerBuilder
Hi all. I am trying to figure out the steps, when you build dpb. Can and shall I use PFC both on client and server? If yes, do I have to have one set of pbl:s for the client and one for the server? Can I run the client pbl:s in one instance of powerbuilder, and the server pbl:s in another? Can I share objects on client and server, under development? Does anyone know any document, describing the steps? PowerSofts "Building Distributed Applications" is ok, but it don't cover everything. Regards Stefan Uhlin/ConNova ...

Powerbuilder 8 / Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 error
When I run my PB 8 build 9506 application using Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 client, I get the following error. If I use Oracle 8.0.5 client, it works. Please advise as I need to be on Oracle 8i. Number 3120 Select error: ORA-03120: two-task conversion routine: integer overflow What version of Oracle is the server? Perhaps it's an Oracle bug. On 10 Sep 2003 06:42:55 -0700, Marsha Jacobs wrote: >When I run my PB 8 build 9506 application using Oracle >8.1.7.0.0 client, I get the following error. If I use Oracle >8.0.5 client, it works. Please advise as I need to be on >Oracl...

powerbuilder 8.0 does not support stored procedures???
At runtime I get the following error: DataWindow Error: The PowerBuilder Desktop edition does not support stored procedures. What does this mean? It means that PowerBuilder Desktop does not support stored procedures. You would need to use either PowerBuilder Professional or PowerBuilder Enterprise if you want to use stored procedures. Please post PowerBuilder questions in the powerbuilder.general newsgroup. Regards, Dave Fish Sybase Plan on attending the Seventh Annual Sybase Tools Seminar http://seminar.powerobjects.com Download an evaluation version of DataWindow...

Web resources about - Dropping Distributed PowerBuilder Support in PowerBuilder 8.0 - sybase.distributed

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles