Distributed powerbuilder

Is it possible to establish a connection between two powerbuilder apps
across the internet using TCP/IP and Winsock? I'm not going through a web
browser, just straight from one app to another. I have tested this on an
application on our LAN, and it works perfectly. But not so when I try it
over the internet.

Any ideas?

The server that the applicaton server resides on is behind a firewall. Could
this cause any problems?

I'm running on WinNT/98/95 using PB 6.5

Jan Erik Hermansen

0
Jan
4/12/1999 7:20:57 AM
sybase.distributed 2187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:20:57 +0200,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.distributed
Jan Erik Hermansen <jeh@susoft.no> wrote:
>Is it possible to establish a connection between two powerbuilder apps
>across the internet using TCP/IP and Winsock? I'm not going through a web
>browser, just straight from one app to another. I have tested this on an
>application on our LAN, and it works perfectly. But not so when I try it
>over the internet.

Technically, it should work.  I haven't tried it though.

>The server that the applicaton server resides on is behind a firewall. Could
>this cause any problems?

Yep.  You need to talk to the firewall administrator to see if they will allow
outside access to the port number that you assigned to the DPB app.

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS]                | Romac/Source International
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@eudoramail.com   | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com
                                        | http://www.romac-source.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/text/knowgod.html
0
Bruce
4/12/1999 3:57:39 PM
Bruce is correct it will work. I do it all the time. Your problem is most
likely the firewall. Remember you are communicating with a IP/port. Make
sure you can ping the IP. Then make sure the LAN group will allow you to
communicate on the given PORT.

HTH

--
Dean Jones, CPD Professional 6.0
Team Powersoft

Jan Erik Hermansen wrote in message ...
>Is it possible to establish a connection between two powerbuilder apps
>across the internet using TCP/IP and Winsock? I'm not going through a web
>browser, just straight from one app to another. I have tested this on an
>application on our LAN, and it works perfectly. But not so when I try it
>over the internet.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>The server that the applicaton server resides on is behind a firewall.
Could
>this cause any problems?
>
>I'm running on WinNT/98/95 using PB 6.5
>

>Jan Erik Hermansen

0
Dean
4/12/1999 6:50:17 PM
The port, is that the application parameter to the connection/transport
objects?

Jan Erik
Dean Jones <dean@powerobjects.com> wrote in message
> Bruce is correct it will work. I do it all the time. Your problem is most
> likely the firewall. Remember you are communicating with a IP/port. Make
> sure you can ping the IP. Then make sure the LAN group will allow you to
> communicate on the given PORT.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Dean Jones, CPD Professional 6.0
> Team Powersoft
> PowerTeam, Inc.
> www.powerobjects.com
> dean@powerobjects.com
>
> Jan Erik Hermansen wrote in message ...
> >Is it possible to establish a connection between two powerbuilder apps
> >across the internet using TCP/IP and Winsock? I'm not going through a web
> >browser, just straight from one app to another. I have tested this on an
> >application on our LAN, and it works perfectly. But not so when I try it
> >over the internet.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >The server that the applicaton server resides on is behind a firewall.
> Could
> >this cause any problems?
> >
> >I'm running on WinNT/98/95 using PB 6.5
> >

> >Jan Erik Hermansen

0
Jan
4/13/1999 6:21:58 AM
Correct.

--
Dean Jones, CPD Professional 6.0
Team Powersoft
PowerTeam, Inc.
www.powerobjects.com
dean@powerobjects.com

Jan Erik Hermansen wrote in message ...
>The port, is that the application parameter to the connection/transport
>objects?
>

>Jan Erik
>Dean Jones <dean@powerobjects.com> wrote in message
>> Bruce is correct it will work. I do it all the time. Your problem is most
>> likely the firewall. Remember you are communicating with a IP/port. Make
>> sure you can ping the IP. Then make sure the LAN group will allow you to
>> communicate on the given PORT.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Dean Jones, CPD Professional 6.0
>> Team Powersoft
>> PowerTeam, Inc.
>> www.powerobjects.com
>> dean@powerobjects.com
>>
>> Jan Erik Hermansen wrote in message ...
>> >Is it possible to establish a connection between two powerbuilder apps
>> >across the internet using TCP/IP and Winsock? I'm not going through a
web
>> >browser, just straight from one app to another. I have tested this on an
>> >application on our LAN, and it works perfectly. But not so when I try it
>> >over the internet.
>> >
>> >Any ideas?
>> >
>> >The server that the applicaton server resides on is behind a firewall.
>> Could
>> >this cause any problems?
>> >
>> >I'm running on WinNT/98/95 using PB 6.5
>> >

>> >Jan Erik Hermansen

0
Dean

Distributed PowerBuilder
Hi all. I am trying to figure out the steps, when you build dpb. Can and shall I use PFC both on client and server? If yes, do I have to have one set of pbl:s for the client and one for the server? Can I run the client pbl:s in one instance of powerbuilder, and the server pbl:s in another? Can I share objects on client and server, under development? Does anyone know any document, describing the steps? PowerSofts "Building Distributed Applications" is ok, but it don't cover everything. Regards Stefan Uhlin/ConNova ...

distributed powerbuilder
What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications but realizes a good way for interapplication communication. Also for smaller multitier functionality customer is not always interested in buying EAS. I'd never understood the reasons for stopping this technology. -- Chris Werner "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message news:Oa6MXhkHDHA.277@forums-2-dub... > What about giving us DPB back? Maybe it is not > powerfull enough to write huge multitier applications > but realizes a good way for i...

Distributed PowerBuilder
I am in the process of moving an existing PB5 PFC application Distributed PB 5. I have several concerns in regards to the capabilities of this option. We are considering moving the database access along with the business NVOs/Rules from the client machine to an application server. These are some of the concerns we have... 1.In terms of using datastores on the server machine and datawindows on the client machine, how will the communication be facilitated? - should the datawindows on the client app be external? 2. In regards to the datawindow to server communication for r...

Distributed PowerBuilder
I am in the process of moving an existing PB5 PFC application Distributed PB 5. I have several concerns in regards to the capabilities of this option. We are considering moving the database access along with the business NVOs/Rules from the client machine to an application server. These are some of the concerns we have... 1.In terms of using datastores on the server machine and datawindows on the client machine, how will the communication be facilitated? - should the datawindows on the client app be external? 2. In regards to the datawindow to server communication for r...

Dropping Distributed PowerBuilder Support in PowerBuilder 8.0
I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Target for PB8 is Q1 2001. DPB is not being enhanced but the capabilities will still be there. On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:03 -0400, Chuck_Kiefriter wrote: >I heard a long time ago that distributed PowerBuilder support was going to >be dropped in PowerBuilder 8.0 in lieu of using EAServer. Is that true? >When is PowerBuilder 8.0 coming out. Chuck, I apologize, but I gave you inac...

Distribution Lists within Distribution List
We have experienced a problem with the number of receipitents within a distribution continues to shrink (when looking at the delivered number in sent items). This is our internal "all-company" list for announcements. It contains each "all-postoffice" list for out 5 post offices (all-postoffice1, all- postoffice2, etc.). The visibility of the all-company list is always set to none until it is requested to be used, the all-postoffice lists are always set to none. Is this a problem? This always used to work, now the number of people getting the all-compan...

Which distribution?
I am currently planning a new server which shall run with SQL Anywhere 8.0 under Linux. The latest versions from Red Hat and Suse are not listed on the Sybase web site, and Debian (so far my favorite) isn't listed at all. Does anybody have an opinion which of the current distribution might work best or where I should expect difficulties? Thanks Klaus Dr. Klaus P. Pieper wrote: > I am currently planning a new server which shall run with SQL Anywhere 8.0 > under Linux. The latest versions from Red Hat and Suse are not listed on the > Sybase web site, and Debian (s...

Distribution
If no one has the answer to this, I would appreciate it if some one could point me in the right direction to get answers... I am writing an application for a client that will distributed to each of their 100 sites around the country. Each of these sites will be purchasing either a stand alone version of SQLA w/Remote or a server version with 2-4 client licenses. Using installshield I am creating the install program for the client and I would like to include the install of SQLA in with this install. I can still prompt the user for SQLA reg # and stuff, but I would like to know. Ca...

Other distributions
Hi, There is always talk of other distributions (Fedora, Ubuntu, etc). I thought it would be nice to see everyone's top 5. Mine is: - openSUSE - Arch - Fedora - CrunchBang - Mandriva _OPENSUSE:_ I think openSUSE's implementations of both KDE and GNOME are outstanding. Zypper is a great tool, as is YaST. I think the thing that sets openSUSE above the rest is the community. With the combination of community and easy to use tools, I think openSUSE is great for new users, whilst still being customizable enough for more experienced users. _ARCH:_ ...

Distributions
--Sig_/nBm4dFISdt9C1jqPd/EjRyo Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have been too busy to be able to ship 5.20.0 for HP-UX, but I think that I can make some for that now. Another reason was that not all the modules I ship did work out-of-the-box for 5.20.0 when it was released. One of the fails is still a FAIL: Devel::Size 1. What is the estimated date for 5.20.1 2. Any release plan for a working Devel::Size? If 5.20.1 is withing grasp, I'll wait for that and not double my effort If it will take another few months I...

Distribution.
I have to deploy a PB 9.0 - Sybase 12.5 application. Does anybody know what Sybase files (& what changes in existing files such as ini files have to be effected?) have to be copied to the client machines. OR Do I have to install Syabse client on the workstations?? Thanks A Lot You should install the Sybase client layer on the client machines. It will ensure that the setup is correct and make migration to new versions as they come along simplier. It will also ensure you don't run into conflicts with other programs that get installed on the machine that also require the...

Distributed Powerbuilder error
Hi Pb'ers: Iam involved in installation efforts for a distributed PB application using winsock as the driver.On a particular PC (windows NT workstation),Iam getting the following error while running the application where our logon screen needs to connect to server to perform certain validations: "Unable to connect to server 50: distributed server error:e19 unknown driver name 88A" Any pointers towards debugging this problem would be much appreciated. Please send me an email at seshadri@qualexphoto.com or seshadri@us.ibm.com Thankyou people Seshadri H. Puduk...

SMP Distributed Powerbuilder
Hi, Does Distributed Powerbuilder take advantage of multiprocessor machines ? Is it possible to make it run on as many processors as I want ? TIA Diego Hulse (diegohulse@usa.net) Develop Informatica suporte@develop.com.br No and Yes. DPB ~can~ be configured to run under multiprocessor systems but it requires you to manage thread contention yourself. Mike Diego Hulse <diegohulse@usa.net> wrote in message 35A529C1.6E48@usa.net... >Hi, > >Does Distributed Powerbuilder take advantage of multiprocessor machines >? > >Is it possible to make it ...

Java and Distributed PowerBuilder
I'm trying to figure out where the import library is located for a java applet to talk to distributed powerbuilder. The JavaBean Proxy generator created the Java code successfully, but I can't find out where the import library of com.sybase.dpb is. Thanks, Bill Anderson It's jdpblib.jar. I found mine in C:\Program Files\Powersoft\Shared and added it to the class path. I think you also need jgl3.1.0.jar. That one was under C:\Program Files\Powersoft\Shared\ObjectSpace_JGL\lib. Jiggy ________________________________________________________________________ eMail:...

Web resources about - Distributed powerbuilder - sybase.distributed

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles