The future of .Net development and Dw.Net

I have created a few Intranet apps using Datawindow.Net/Asp.Net.  It
was an "okay" experience.  I have to say that the UI is much better
due to the Datawindow.  I have considered The Telerik or Dev Express
controls but these two are built upon the Gridview and it is truly a
very outdated object.  Actually, the whole web application model just
is not robust for true internal business apps.

I guess the "honeymoon" is over for me when considering web
application development.  And, I am surprised if I hear about any
company developing an Intranet approach for internal data entry
application.  However, I must admit that there has been a few
innovations that spice up web development.  AJAX is interesting.  But
it is sort of like an ugly woman getting a "nose" job.  Nice job...
but....

My question is...

assuming that Microsoft WPF and, perhaps SilverLight, is the future
for .Net development...

is it safe to lean towards a Smart Client approach? And when WPF
becomes more stable, it will be easier to transorm your exisitng
Winforms over to WPF model. (with the datawindow, of course!)

0
Joseph

I don't think it will ever be easy to transform WinForm/WebForm to WPF.

FWIW, though, Sybase is working on a WPF option.  So you could use
DataWindow technology to do both WinForm/WebForm and WPF.  But not with the
same code base.

"Joseph" <niroc134@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have created a few Intranet apps using Datawindow.Net/Asp.Net.  It
> was an "okay" experience.  I have to say that the UI is much better
> due to the Datawindow.  I have considered The Telerik or Dev Express
> controls but these two are built upon the Gridview and it is truly a
> very outdated object.  Actually, the whole web application model just
> is not robust for true internal business apps.
>
> I guess the "honeymoon" is over for me when considering web
> application development.  And, I am surprised if I hear about any
> company developing an Intranet approach for internal data entry
> application.  However, I must admit that there has been a few
> innovations that spice up web development.  AJAX is interesting.  But
> it is sort of like an ugly woman getting a "nose" job.  Nice job...
> but....
>
> My question is...
>
> assuming that Microsoft WPF and, perhaps SilverLight, is the future
> for .Net development...
>
> is it safe to lean towards a Smart Client approach? And when WPF
> becomes more stable, it will be easier to transorm your exisitng
> Winforms over to WPF model. (with the datawindow, of course!)

0
Bruce
7/10/2008 8:38:12 PM
On Jul 10, 2:38=A0pm, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
<NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com> wrote:
> I don't think it will ever be easy to transform WinForm/WebForm to WPF.
>
> FWIW, though, Sybase is working on a WPF option. =A0So you could use
> DataWindow technology to do both WinForm/WebForm and WPF. =A0But not with=
 the
> same code base.
>
> "Joseph" <niroc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have created a few Intranet apps using Datawindow.Net/Asp.Net. =A0It
> > was an "okay" experience. =A0I have to say that the UI is much better
> > due to the Datawindow. =A0I have considered The Telerik or Dev Express
> > controls but these two are built upon the Gridview and it is truly a
> > very outdated object. =A0Actually, the whole web application model just
> > is not robust for true internal business apps.
>
> > I guess the "honeymoon" is over for me when considering web
> > application development. =A0And, I am surprised if I hear about any
> > company developing an Intranet approach for internal data entry
> > application. =A0However, I must admit that there has been a few
> > innovations that spice up web development. =A0AJAX is interesting. =A0B=
ut
> > it is sort of like an ugly woman getting a "nose" job. =A0Nice job...
> > but....
>
> > My question is...
>
> > assuming that Microsoft WPF and, perhaps SilverLight, is the future
> > for .Net development...
>
> > is it safe to lean towards a Smart Client approach? And when WPF
> > becomes more stable, it will be easier to transorm your exisitng
> > Winforms over to WPF model. (with the datawindow, of course!)

Perhaps there will be some type of conversion tool that will take most
of the winform code and convert to WPF.  And, I really want to use
DW.Net for development so... I am hoping that this TechWave will
alleviate some concerns about SyBase's future plans
0
Joseph
7/11/2008 2:35:57 PM
I think you hope in vain if you expect some sort of conversion from WinForm
to WPF.  Not even M$ is promising that.  You can have mixed apps though,
where you host WPF in WinForm or WinForm in WPF.

http://blogs.telerik.com/HristoKosev/Posts/08-02-20/Have_a_safe_trip_from_WinForms_to_WPF.aspx

Here's somebody's attempt to do migration:

http://rrelyea.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!167AD7A5AB58D5FE!1627.entry

"Joseph" <niroc134@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jul 10, 2:38 pm, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
<NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com> wrote:
> I don't think it will ever be easy to transform WinForm/WebForm to WPF.
>
> FWIW, though, Sybase is working on a WPF option. So you could use
> DataWindow technology to do both WinForm/WebForm and WPF. But not with the
> same code base.
>
> "Joseph" <niroc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have created a few Intranet apps using Datawindow.Net/Asp.Net. It
> > was an "okay" experience. I have to say that the UI is much better
> > due to the Datawindow. I have considered The Telerik or Dev Express
> > controls but these two are built upon the Gridview and it is truly a
> > very outdated object. Actually, the whole web application model just
> > is not robust for true internal business apps.
>
> > I guess the "honeymoon" is over for me when considering web
> > application development. And, I am surprised if I hear about any
> > company developing an Intranet approach for internal data entry
> > application. However, I must admit that there has been a few
> > innovations that spice up web development. AJAX is interesting. But
> > it is sort of like an ugly woman getting a "nose" job. Nice job...
> > but....
>
> > My question is...
>
> > assuming that Microsoft WPF and, perhaps SilverLight, is the future
> > for .Net development...
>
> > is it safe to lean towards a Smart Client approach? And when WPF
> > becomes more stable, it will be easier to transorm your exisitng
> > Winforms over to WPF model. (with the datawindow, of course!)

Perhaps there will be some type of conversion tool that will take most
of the winform code and convert to WPF.  And, I really want to use
DW.Net for development so... I am hoping that this TechWave will
alleviate some concerns about SyBase's future plans

0
Bruce
7/11/2008 5:12:27 PM
On Jul 11, 11:12=A0am, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
<NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com> wrote:
> I think you hope in vain if you expect some sort of conversion from WinFo=
rm
> to WPF. =A0Not even M$ is promising that. =A0You can have mixed apps thou=
gh,
> where you host WPF in WinForm or WinForm in WPF.
>
> http://blogs.telerik.com/HristoKosev/Posts/08-02-20/Have_a_safe_trip_...
>
> Here's somebody's attempt to do migration:
>
> http://rrelyea.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!167AD7A5AB58D5FE!1627.entry
>
> "Joseph" <niroc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jul 10, 2:38 pm, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
>

> <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com> wrote:
> > I don't think it will ever be easy to transform WinForm/WebForm to WPF.
>
> > FWIW, though, Sybase is working on a WPF option. So you could use
> > DataWindow technology to do both WinForm/WebForm and WPF. But not with =
the
> > same code base.
>
> > "Joseph" <niroc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > >I have created a few Intranet apps using Datawindow.Net/Asp.Net. It
> > > was an "okay" experience. I have to say that the UI is much better
> > > due to the Datawindow. I have considered The Telerik or Dev Express
> > > controls but these two are built upon the Gridview and it is truly a
> > > very outdated object. Actually, the whole web application model just
> > > is not robust for true internal business apps.
>
> > > I guess the "honeymoon" is over for me when considering web
> > > application development. And, I am surprised if I hear about any
> > > company developing an Intranet approach for internal data entry
> > > application. However, I must admit that there has been a few
> > > innovations that spice up web development. AJAX is interesting. But
> > > it is sort of like an ugly woman getting a "nose" job. Nice job...
> > > but....
>
> > > My question is...
>
> > > assuming that Microsoft WPF and, perhaps SilverLight, is the future
> > > for .Net development...
>
> > > is it safe to lean towards a Smart Client approach? And when WPF
> > > becomes more stable, it will be easier to transorm your exisitng
> > > Winforms over to WPF model. (with the datawindow, of course!)
>
> Perhaps there will be some type of conversion tool that will take most
> of the winform code and convert to WPF. =A0And, I really want to use
> DW.Net for development so... I am hoping that this TechWave will
> alleviate some concerns about SyBase's future plans

Okay... boy... days of an app lasting 5 years or more are over.

So, what do you recommend?
0
Joseph
7/11/2008 7:11:32 PM
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:11:32 -0700 (PDT), Joseph <niroc134@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Okay... boy... days of an app lasting 5 years or more are over.
>
>So, what do you recommend?

Actually, I don't have a recommendation at this time except perhaps to
keep an eye on where WPF is going and keep using WinForm for a while.
There's still some argument about whether WPF is ready to do LOB (line
of business) applications.  There's also more in the works that will
eventually make WPF more robust.  I wouldn't bet the house on it today
though.

0
Bruce

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

Is DW.NET will be a .NET development IDE
http://www.softwarecentre.sybase.com/PB9/documents/documents/GenerationPBIss ue3-English.pdf I see that the roadmap for the software development for PB is that DW.NET now and an IDE. The events (methods for the DW control is available ) can be coded in C# notation. So, is the IDE Visual Studio or this is going to work as a plugin. If it is a plugin, then this will be just a way for the developers who want to move to .NET making the life easier. The reason behind this theory is that most of the other controls in PB are windows (microsoft's visual control dll) based control. As ...

DW.Net for ASP.Net
Hi. Does anyone know when DW.Net will be available for ASP.Net (web pages)? Is there or will there be a beta program for that version of DW.Net? Regards TJ Throstur Jonsson wrote: > Hi. > Does anyone know when DW.Net will be available for ASP.Net (web pages)? > Is there or will there be a beta program for that version of DW.Net? > > Regards > TJ > > ASP.NET support is planned for post-1.0, and no beta program has been announced, although I'm sure Sybase will conduct one. -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] SDN Co...

ado.net or/and datawindow.net
Hi, Can datawindow.net work with Sybase's ado.net or are they not compatible with each other. We have two separate groups of developers, one group develops web apps using ASE as the back end for the data, so they use a combination of Visual Studio ..NET and Sybase's ado.net to do their work. We have another group that develops client/server apps using Powerbuilder, but since 80% of their work is in writting reports using Powerbuilder, I was wondering if they could use a combination of datawindow.net and ado.net to put make these reports available on the web through ...

Datawindow.Net in ASP.Net
It is a Power builder to ASP.Net migration project. As per my analysis, the PBL should be mapped to the datawindow.net control to get the functionality of the existing PB datawindow and can convert the PB code to .net code. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I would like to know whether we can use datawindow.net control without PBL just like datagrid. In datagrid we could bind the dataset as a datasource and populate the records. Is this possible using datawindow.net? Datawindow is nothing but it stores queries/stored proecedures. Incase i want to change the queries after mi...

Cross-Platform .NET Development: Using Mono, Portable.NET, and Microsoft .NET
Interesting book I came across: Cross-Platform .NET Development $49.99 doesn't hurt too much either :) NOTE: Availability: This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives. It's being released on September 30th, 2004 - one to keep an eye on...www.codingmayhem.com - VB.NET, C#, Silverlight, Javascript, HTML, CSS, T-SQL, MySQL and SQLitewww.headshotgamer.com - Gaming News and Reviews How about this book from Oreilly? Mono: A Developer's Notebook http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/monoadn/...

ASP.NET Future is replaced by ASP.NET Extensions? There will no VS2005 .NET 2.0 version?
ASP.NET Future is replaced by ASP.NET Extensions? There will no VS2005 .NET 2.0 version? I wish to use browser history function at my current .NET 2.0 project... No.. the futures release is still up there and you can use it on 2005... We do have some enhanced history support that is more integrated into the core framework in the Extensions release... this release is what we are working on productizing.  The features in ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions Preview are a continuation of the elements from ASP.NET Futures and they build signifficantly on top of the new features introduced in .N...

Net Farmers net

Diffrence Between ASP.NET , VB.NET and C#.NET
please give me the explanation of diffrence b'n asp.net and vb.net is in asp.net there is no code behind file exist?  C# and VB.Net it the langauge you use to create your app.. (The code you write is either VB.Net or C#) ASP.Net is the Web framework to build web applications and ASP.Net have Web Forms, a Web Form is the .aspx file that represents a page/view. A Web Form can have a code-behind file where you put your code (written with VB.Net or C#)./Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitterMicrosoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCTASPInsidersMy Blog...

ASP.NET VB.NET to VB.NET Executable
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I could not find a more suitable section. I have several ASP.NET (using VB.NET) web pages that I have to convert to VB.NET executables. Can someone recommend a roadmap? Is this a huge task? Is it more manageable with the .NET platform? Thanks. the roadmap is to move as much code as possible out of the GUI into codebehind, and get GUI code out of code-behind. then move as much as possible into library assemblies and/or Webservices. then use the Visual Studio editor to drag and drop your new winapp gui, and easily plug in the back end....

net send in .net

Web resources about - The future of .Net development and Dw.Net - sybase.datawindow.net

Doha Development Round - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Doha Development Round or Doha Development Agenda ( DDA ) is the current trade-negotiation round of the World Trade Organization (WTO) which ...

Wading pool got 30cm of water? You need development approval - AdelaideNow Search Search
RESIDENTS are risking $500 fines by setting up some blow-up pools in their backyards this summer, under a little-known State Government regulation ...

Xi envisions Chongqing as int'l logistics hub, stresses development
Xi envisions Chongqing as int'l logistics hub, stresses development

New development could lead to more effective light bulbs
US researchers say they have developed a technique that can significantly improve the efficiency of the traditional incandescent light bulb. ...

Leverage geographically-distributed development
Geographically-distributed development, or GDD, has made a name for itself as an extremely-effective IT strategy model within global enterprises ...

‘Arrested Development’ Season 5 will parody ‘Making a Murderer’ and ‘Serial’
Rumors surrounding a fifth season of Arrested Development have been swirling around ever since Netflix did the world a favor and rebooted the ...

Arrested Development: How President Jimmy Carter Stopped The First Solar Surge
... in front of the developing solar photovoltaics industry. Perlin is the author of “Let It Shine: The 6,000-Year [&hellip Arrested Development: ...

Arrested Development Season 5 Spoofing Making a Murderer - Collider
Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurwitz says the new season will be a murder mystery in the vein of Netflix's Making a Murderer.

Second Marvel Comedy In Development At ABC
ABC is developing a second Marvel comedy series, in addition to the previously announced Damage [...]