How many functionality DataWindow.Net can do compared with PB DataWindow Control?

Hi all,
    We have a DBMS coded by PB, now we want to move it to .NET.
However, data modification is rather complicated if we only use .NET
native controls. We noticed that SYBASE provides DataWindow.Net
control. But we don't know how much this new control can do,
especailly compared with PB DataWindow.
    In my legacy App, we use DataWindow to manage data, in most
DataWindow controls, we use DropDownDW to refer to another table, and
we also use DataWindow's 'print' and 'SaveAs' functionality to print
data or export data as Excel file. I don't know whether DataWindow.Net
can do these basic work or not.
    Any guy can help me before I pay money to buy it ?

   Thanks!

    kevin
0
kevinlzj

It does all that.  You might just comare the DataWindow.Net docs
version the PowerBuilder DataWindow docs online at the Sybase site.  A
number of the events / functions were renamed to be more .Net like,
but it works pretty much the same.

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:10:07 -0800 (PST), kevinlzj@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi all,
>    We have a DBMS coded by PB, now we want to move it to .NET.
>However, data modification is rather complicated if we only use .NET
>native controls. We noticed that SYBASE provides DataWindow.Net
>control. But we don't know how much this new control can do,
>especailly compared with PB DataWindow.
>    In my legacy App, we use DataWindow to manage data, in most
>DataWindow controls, we use DropDownDW to refer to another table, and
>we also use DataWindow's 'print' and 'SaveAs' functionality to print
>data or export data as Excel file. I don't know whether DataWindow.Net
>can do these basic work or not.
>    Any guy can help me before I pay money to buy it ?
>
>   Thanks!
>
>    kevin

0
Bruce
11/27/2007 4:30:01 AM
Thanks, Bruce!

If this is true, that's a great information for us.

On Nov 27, 12:30 pm, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
<NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com> wrote:
> It does all that.  You might just comare the DataWindow.Net docs
> version the PowerBuilder DataWindow docs online at the Sybase site.  A
> number of the events / functions were renamed to be more .Net like,
> but it works pretty much the same.
>

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:10:07 -0800 (PST), kevin...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >    We have a DBMS coded by PB, now we want to move it to .NET.
> >However, data modification is rather complicated if we only use .NET
> >native controls. We noticed that SYBASE provides DataWindow.Net
> >control. But we don't know how much this new control can do,
> >especailly compared with PB DataWindow.
> >    In my legacy App, we use DataWindow to manage data, in most
> >DataWindow controls, we use DropDownDW to refer to another table, and
> >we also use DataWindow's 'print' and 'SaveAs' functionality to print
> >data or export data as Excel file. I don't know whether DataWindow.Net
> >can do these basic work or not.
> >    Any guy can help me before I pay money to buy it ?
>
> >   Thanks!
>
> >    kevin- Hide quoted text -

kevinlzj
11/27/2007 5:02:15 AM
I should also point out that, depending on what you mean by "move it
to .Net", that you might want to look at PowerBuilder 11.

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:02:15 -0800 (PST), kevinlzj@yahoo.com wrote:

>Thanks, Bruce!
>
>If this is true, that's a great information for us.
>

>On Nov 27, 12:30 pm, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
><NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com> wrote:
>> It does all that.  You might just comare the DataWindow.Net docs
>> version the PowerBuilder DataWindow docs online at the Sybase site.  A
>> number of the events / functions were renamed to be more .Net like,
>> but it works pretty much the same.
>>

>> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:10:07 -0800 (PST), kevin...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> >Hi all,
>> >    We have a DBMS coded by PB, now we want to move it to .NET.
>> >However, data modification is rather complicated if we only use .NET
>> >native controls. We noticed that SYBASE provides DataWindow.Net
>> >control. But we don't know how much this new control can do,
>> >especailly compared with PB DataWindow.
>> >    In my legacy App, we use DataWindow to manage data, in most
>> >DataWindow controls, we use DropDownDW to refer to another table, and
>> >we also use DataWindow's 'print' and 'SaveAs' functionality to print
>> >data or export data as Excel file. I don't know whether DataWindow.Net
>> >can do these basic work or not.
>> >    Any guy can help me before I pay money to buy it ?
>>
>> >   Thanks!
>>
>> >    kevin- Hide quoted text -

Bruce
11/27/2007 5:16:01 AM
Sorry, I didn't make it clear. We plan to build a new Web app using
VS.Net 2005 (C# precisely) with similar functionality as those in
legacy app, so we may need DataWindow.Net because we know it's
developed for VS 2003/2005. I don't know PB11, do you mean
we can also develop WEB application using PB 11? But as my knowledge,
to develop WEB App using PB, we need knowldeg about
EAServer, that's totally empty for us!

On Nov 27, 1:16 pm, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
<NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com> wrote:
> I should also point out that, depending on what you mean by "move it
> to .Net", that you might want to look at PowerBuilder 11.
>

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:02:15 -0800 (PST), kevin...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >Thanks, Bruce!
>
> >If this is true, that's a great information for us.
>
> >On Nov 27, 12:30 pm, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
> ><NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com> wrote:
> >> It does all that.  You might just comare the DataWindow.Net docs
> >> version the PowerBuilder DataWindow docs online at the Sybase site.  A
> >> number of the events / functions were renamed to be more .Net like,
> >> but it works pretty much the same.

kevinlzj
11/27/2007 5:23:10 AM
PB11 introduced .Net targets.  You can deploy .Net based WinForms,
WebForms (ASP.Net), assemblies and ASP.Net based web services using
it.  No requirement to use EAServer at all.

http://pbdj.sys-con.com/read/420530.htm

http://developer.net.au/PowerBuilder_11s_NET_Interoperability.htm

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:23:10 -0800 (PST), kevinlzj@yahoo.com wrote:

>Sorry, I didn't make it clear. We plan to build a new Web app using
>VS.Net 2005 (C# precisely) with similar functionality as those in
>legacy app, so we may need DataWindow.Net because we know it's
>developed for VS 2003/2005. I don't know PB11, do you mean
>we can also develop WEB application using PB 11? But as my knowledge,
>to develop WEB App using PB, we need knowldeg about
>EAServer, that's totally empty for us!
>

>On Nov 27, 1:16 pm, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
><NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com> wrote:
>> I should also point out that, depending on what you mean by "move it
>> to .Net", that you might want to look at PowerBuilder 11.
>>

>> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:02:15 -0800 (PST), kevin...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> >Thanks, Bruce!
>>
>> >If this is true, that's a great information for us.

Bruce
11/27/2007 1:59:17 PM
There's also a web cast later today on Winforms and one next week on
Web Forms (plus some others later):

http://response.sybase.com/forms/PBRegistration

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:23:10 -0800 (PST), kevinlzj@yahoo.com wrote:

>Sorry, I didn't make it clear. We plan to build a new Web app using
>VS.Net 2005 (C# precisely) with similar functionality as those in
>legacy app, so we may need DataWindow.Net because we know it's
>developed for VS 2003/2005. I don't know PB11, do you mean
>we can also develop WEB application using PB 11? But as my knowledge,
>to develop WEB App using PB, we need knowldeg about
>EAServer, that's totally empty for us!
>

>On Nov 27, 1:16 pm, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
><NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com> wrote:
>> I should also point out that, depending on what you mean by "move it
>> to .Net", that you might want to look at PowerBuilder 11.
>>

>> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:02:15 -0800 (PST), kevin...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> >Thanks, Bruce!
>>
>> >If this is true, that's a great information for us.

Bruce
11/27/2007 2:12:34 PM
The schedule has been updated in the last few weeks.

Windows Forms and Interop with Jim O'Neil will be on  December 11th.

The URL Bruce cited is correct and does list the revised dates.

--------------
John Strano - Sybase Technology Evangelist

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
wrote in message news:jd9ok35l3roqtcr4fpvtus269ri4u1inqh@4ax.com...

> There's also a web cast later today on Winforms and one next week on
> Web Forms (plus some others later):
>
> http://response.sybase.com/forms/PBRegistration
>

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:23:10 -0800 (PST), kevinlzj@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >Sorry, I didn't make it clear. We plan to build a new Web app using
> >VS.Net 2005 (C# precisely) with similar functionality as those in
> >legacy app, so we may need DataWindow.Net because we know it's
> >developed for VS 2003/2005. I don't know PB11, do you mean
> >we can also develop WEB application using PB 11? But as my knowledge,
> >to develop WEB App using PB, we need knowldeg about
> >EAServer, that's totally empty for us!
> >

> >On Nov 27, 1:16 pm, "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
> ><NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com> wrote:
> >> I should also point out that, depending on what you mean by "move it
> >> to .Net", that you might want to look at PowerBuilder 11.

DataWindow.Net

John
11/27/2007 2:55:46 PM
Actually, I just spaced an thought it was next week already...<g>

"John Strano[Sybase]" <nichtspamjstrano@csi.com> wrote in message
> The schedule has been updated in the last few weeks.
>
> Windows Forms and Interop with Jim O'Neil will be on  December 11th.
>
> The URL Bruce cited is correct and does list the revised dates.
>
> --------------
> John Strano - Sybase Technology Evangelist
>
> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
> wrote in message news:jd9ok35l3roqtcr4fpvtus269ri4u1inqh@4ax.com...
>>
>> There's also a web cast later today on Winforms and one next week on
>> Web Forms (plus some others later):
>>
>> http://response.sybase.com/forms/PBRegistration
>>

>> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:23:10 -0800 (PST), kevinlzj@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>> >Sorry, I didn't make it clear. We plan to build a new Web app using
>> >VS.Net 2005 (C# precisely) with similar functionality as those in
>> >legacy app, so we may need DataWindow.Net because we know it's
>> >developed for VS 2003/2005. I don't know PB11, do you mean
>> >we can also develop WEB application using PB 11? But as my knowledge,
>> >to develop WEB App using PB, we need knowldeg about
>> >EAServer, that's totally empty for us!

> .NET
> and
> print
> DataWindow.Net

Bruce
11/27/2007 4:51:06 PM
Thanks, Bruce and John.
It's really good information for us, especially when we get to know
that with PB11 we can easily port traditional C/S app to .Net without
much modification.
We will surely search more information about PB11, and if possible, we
can put it as a great candidate.

Kevin
0
kevinlzj

Datawindow Sum() function in PB 11 WebForms vs. Datawindow.net
Jim, et. al.: For ASP.NET 2.0 WebForms deployed with PB 11.1, do we still have the limitation included in the PB 11 help documentation that datawindow aggregate functions like sum() will not work in the WebForms? Or does it work when the page is reloaded like your discussion below about Datawindow.net? How do you suggest we rewrite all our legacy Win32 Datawindows that contain aggregate functions like sum() to work as WebForms? TIA, Russ On May 17 2005, 8:03 am, "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil_at_sybase_dot_com> wrote: > Not a bug... see chapter 6...

datawindow and Datawindow.NET Function Comparison
Hi All! What is the equivalent function in datawindow.net for the dw_1.GetSelectedRow() Is there any listings or comparison available for datawindow.net function and datawindow? Thanks.in advance S. Viswanathan Look to DataWindowControl.FindNextSelected(RowNumber) method. Regards, Mikhail Klygin. Viswanathan S �����: > Hi All! > > What is the equivalent function in datawindow.net for the > dw_1.GetSelectedRow() > > Is there any listings or comparison available for datawindow.net function > and datawindow? > > Thanks.in advanc...

PB Datawindow to DataWindow .Net Migration
We have a datawindows in PB 9 and PB 11 also. Now we are planing move to .Net Applications. We are generating all PB objects in to .Net(C#) except data windows. Now we are planing to move PB datawindows to DataWindow .Net 2.5. Can you please explaing the way to convert/migrate PB Datawindows to DataWindow .Net 2.5. Advanced thanks for your suggesstions. Thank You, Chaithu Start the Datawindow Designer applet and create a new Project. Then use the Import... feature to import the datawindow source .SRD files. These can be exported from PowerBuilder. -- Paul Horan[Sybase] ...

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

Problems with External Datawindows in Datawindow .Net
Has anyone used an external datawindow within a datastore in a .Net application? We are converting a piece of functionality from PowerBuilder to C# .Net and the routine uses an external datawindow. Since it is an external I didnt do SetTransObject before doing the InsertRow. I simply tried inserting a row into the datastore and a DatawindowNotCreatedException was thrown. Has anyone run into something similar? We are widely using external datawindow. Your error is not concerned with external datawindow. It is concerned with DataWindowControl bad behaviour (it is documented,...

Converting datawindow objects to datawindow .Net
Hi, Can someone please list the various methods we can use to convert the standard datawindow object to a datawindow .net object ? Thanks, Sanjay I'm lost. There's no conversion necessary. PB and DW.Net use the same datawindow objects. On 19 Feb 2007 17:46:15 -0800, Converting wrote: >Hi, > >Can someone please list the various methods we can use to >convert the standard datawindow object to a datawindow .net >object ? > >Thanks, > >Sanjay Thanks Bruce. I probably confused you but good to know that we can modify the datawin...

DataWindow.NET
I'm using DataWindow.NET 1.5.1 9004 on a Windows XP Professional SP 2 machine with the latest Microsoft Update patches. The release notes indicate that change request 385532 is corrected. However, if I configure my computer to use a Windows XP theme the border does not render as expected; a blue bordered box is displayed. If I configure my computer to use a Windows Classic theme the border is rendered as expected. Is there something else I need to do to get the datawindow object column borders to render correctly when using a Windows XP theme? Ken Are you using 3D Lower...

Datawindow.NET control on ASP.NET Webform
Hi, I am new to power Builder and power script. I like to request for information on how can I import DataWindow.NET control from power builder Tool into a Visual Studio 2008 as a Add-On to build/Develop a web application. your help and insight is highly appreciated. Thanks, Hi, I am new to power Builder and power script. I like to request for information on how can I use imported DataWindow.NET control from power builder Tool into a Visual Studio 2008 as a Add-On to build/Develop a web application. Like to know the feasibility of using it on a web form and customisi...

DataWindow.Net a nominee for Best .NET Libraries / Controls
http://sys-con.com/dotnet/readerschoice2004/ Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www.teamsybase.com TeamSybase blogs: http://www.teamsybase.net/blogs Two 3rd party books on developing with PowerBuilder http://www.pb9books.com?source=newsgroups Need code sample? Check out CodeXchange: http://www.codexchange.sybase.com Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of Assisi http://www.needhim.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- NOTE: If you are using Google to post messages to the newsgroups, you will *no...

DataWindow.NET and PB10.5 DataWindow Extentions ?
Hi, will the next release (so far I know DataWindow.NET 2.0) will based on the Powerbuilder DataWindow engine 10.5. or in other words: The new DataWindow extentions from PB10.5 (treeview datawindow, autosize ....) will be part of of the next DataWindow.NET Release Till now we are in the process of testing the same pbl's (and datawindows) in Webforms and PB apps. TIA Heino Hellmers Yes. The PowerBuilder 10.5 DataWindow engine is used and those features are supported. "Heino Hellmers" <heino@hellmers.com> wrote in message news:42ff2c87$1@f...

DataWindow.NET : issue using external datawindow
Hello, I created an external datawindow with 3 columns, but I have error messages when I want to use it in my .NET application : When I want to insert rows, I get the message : "InsertRow was called when no DataWindow object was attached." I set in design mode my pbl library and also the datawindow name I want to use. I also tried to set it dynamically in the code, but it changes nothing. I'm sure SQLCA isn't useful for this kind of DataWindow, but I also tried to set it and I get the message "SetTransaction was called when no DataWindow object was att...

Is there any issue in creating dynamic datawindow in Datawindow.Net?
Hi I have created a datawindow object in PB10 and exported in to SRD file. In my dot.net application, I read the file into string and issued the following command to create datawindow dynamically. But it throws an methodfailureexception error as "incorrect syntax at line 18 and column 14. Dim ls_create As String Dim fs As FileStream fs = New FileStream(curFileName, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read) 'declaring a FileStream to open the file named file.doc with access mode of reading Dim d As New StreamReader(fs) 'creating a new StreamReader and passing the filestream...

ado.net or/and datawindow.net
Hi, Can datawindow.net work with Sybase's ado.net or are they not compatible with each other. We have two separate groups of developers, one group develops web apps using ASE as the back end for the data, so they use a combination of Visual Studio ..NET and Sybase's ado.net to do their work. We have another group that develops client/server apps using Powerbuilder, but since 80% of their work is in writting reports using Powerbuilder, I was wondering if they could use a combination of datawindow.net and ado.net to put make these reports available on the web through ...

Web resources about - How many functionality DataWindow.Net can do compared with PB DataWindow Control? - sybase.datawindow.net

PlayStation 2 online functionality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Selected games on Sony 's PlayStation 2 video game console offer online gaming or other online capabilities. Games that enable the feature provide ...

Free Messaging App MessageMe Latest To Lose Access To Facebook Find Friends Functionality
Facebook once again demonstrated that it does not believe imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, blocking access to its find friends functionality ...

FanAppz expands social CRM functionality, offers more insights about brand audience
... with their apps and putting those insights to use in other channels. The Personalized Marketing Platform builds upon the social CRM functionality ...

Reverting the changes to block functionality
Earlier today, we made a change to the way the “block” function of Twitter works. We have decided to revert the change after receiving feedback ...

Users want functionality without complexity with BYOD: Cortado
Mobile workers want to have access to their files while the move without the complexity, according to Cortado APAC sales manager, Brendan Samuels. ...

Apple takes password reset functionality offline after news of serious vulnerability
Earlier Friday, The Verge reported on a significant security exploit with Apple's "reset password" functionality for Apple IDs. Armed with only ...

Updated: Get Kinect-style functionality on your Mac with this free app
Flutter is a free app that brings gesture controls to your Mac via its built-in web cam. Get the download here.

Twitter bolsters search functionality - social media, social networking, Internet-based applications ...
Twitter will bolster search functionality to automatically complete users' queries and suggest related search terms, among other improvements ...

Google announces enhanced snooze functionality for Inbox by Gmail
Google today announced a useful new feature that is now available in its Inbox email app. Starting today, when users "snooze" an email that has ...

Parallels Access remote access app jumps from iPad to iPhone, gains Finder-like functionality
... capabilities of iOS devices by allowing them to serve as points of access to your Mac and Windows computers, and the intuitive and native functionality ...