SQl Anywhere ODBC connection

Hi all
I'm trying to connect to a third party application that uses sql anywhere
5.0 as the database.
I have (I think) install the ODBC Drivers on the client machine and when I
try to connect to the server via a system dsn
 I get the following error message
unable to connect to database server:unable to start database engine(#80)
Microsoft odbc driver manager drivers SQLConnectAttr failed(#0)

any help in explaining the above error or references to documents would be
greatly appreciated

0
Rick

I am sort of new to using the ASA driver but it almost sounds like the
ASA is not started and that there is some difficulty in doing so.

Rick Lyons wrote:

> Hi all
> I'm trying to connect to a third party application that uses sql anywhere
> 5.0 as the database.
> I have (I think) install the ODBC Drivers on the client machine and when I
> try to connect to the server via a system dsn
>  I get the following error message
> unable to connect to database server:unable to start database engine(#80)
> Microsoft odbc driver manager drivers SQLConnectAttr failed(#0)
>
> any help in explaining the above error or references to documents would be
> greatly appreciated
0
odbcpse

connection problems to SQL Anywhere Server from SQL client via netbios and ODBC
Hello- I have a user with an NT 4.0 server and windows 95 clients. The error when attempting the connection of the SQL client to SQL server is Unable to Start, Server not found, which I personally have seen at least 1000 times in supporting our app with SQL Anywhere. If I use the -z -o switch and write the verbage to a text file, netbios starts successfully, but near the bottom of the file, the following lines appear: NETBIOS -- Trying connection on Lan Adapter: 0 NETBIOS -- Failure to connect on lan adapter: 0 NETBIOS -- Looking for name on lan adapter: 0 NETBIOS -- Name no...

PB10 ODBC Connect to Sql Anywhere 11
When I try to connect to an ODBC database in PB 10.5.2 with the newly installed SQL Anywhere 11, the message 'Invalid or unsupported datasource "dsn name here"' is displayed. The ODBC is defined in Control Panel ODBC as SQL Anywhere 11. When it was Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0 it worked fine. Any ideas? PB Desktop only supports a subset of defined drivers i.e., desktop databases such as Access and SQL Anywhere version up to an the version that it ships. In this case, SQL Anywhere 11 shipped after PB 10.2.1 Desktop. PB11.x introduced support for SA11 and its des...

ODBC connection to SQL anywhere 5.5
Hello, will the ODBC drivers that come with SQL anywhere 7.0 work with SQL anywhere 5.5? If not where can I get 5.5 ODBC drivers? cheers, david. You can connect to a local 5.5 engine using the compatibility libraries that come with ASA 7.0. You could also run your 5.5 database on the 7.0 engine without problems and use the 7.0 tools to access it. The 5.5 ODBC driver comes on the 5.5 install CD. -- Jason Hinsperger International and Sustaining Engineering Adaptive Server Anywhere David_Bond wrote: > Hello, > > will the ODBC drivers that come with SQL any...

Multiple threads connection to SQL Anywhere ODBC
We have a multi-threaded VC++ 4.2 app using MFC ODBC classes to access SqlAnywhere 5.5.1. All the threads share CDatabase object but not CRecordSet object. The app crashes when multiple threads are trying to do Open on CRecordSet object. According to Microsoft documentation all the ODBC classes are thread-safe and they document that CDatabase object can be shared among threads. SQL Anywhere ODBC driver is thread-safe according to Sybase support. Does anyone have ideas? Thanks for your help in advance. Mohan I did read that the latest (and previous) ODBC drivers for SQL Anywhere ...

EAServer 6.0 connect to MS SQL SERVER using ODBC Connection
I am currently migrating from EAServer 4.2 to 6.0. I am trying to connect a SQL Server database through an ODBC connection in EAServer 6.0. When I set up the data source and tried to ping the database server, it gives me an error saying it cannot connect to the database. I have tried to change the database type from SQL SERVER to JCM_ODBC and other multiple things to try to connect, but it still fails. The odbc connection is properly set up but I can't seem to connect through EAServer. Any help would be appreciated. Could you please give the log of EAServer6 which is under ...

Please Help on ADO connect SQL Anywhere through ODBC.
Hi, All Is there anybody can help on how to use ADO connect SQL Anywhere 5.0 through ODBC? ODBC driver has been installed. I need the code urgently (to use inside ASP for Web Publishing). Best regards, Liu If you want to use OLEDB through ADO with SA 5.5, you need to specify MSDASQL as the provider. This is the Microsoft provided OLEDB-ODBC bridge dll. ASA has its own OLEDB provider available with version 7.0 Jason Hinsperger International and Sustaining Engineering Adaptive Server Anywhere Liu wrote: > Hi, All > > Is there anybody can help on how t...

SQL Anywhere prevent ODBC box on failed connection
SQL Anywhere 10 Is there some sort of setting to keep the ODBC connection box from popping up if a user enters the wrong password? The connection type is OLEDB; and I am not using DSN - I am setting up everything via the PROVIDERSTRING etc. thx You can use something like: SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='DSN=MyData;UID=xxxx;PWD=xxx"',ConnectOption='SQL_DRIVER_CONNECT,SQL_DRIVER_NOPROMPT'" -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/ http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do http://my.isug.com/index.php?mo=...

ODBC connection to SQL Anywhere 5.0 db?
Hi all, We have a SQL Anywhere 5.0 database, and are trying to connect to it with ODBC (version 3.5). I can manually run dbclient.exe and ISQL to connect successfully, but have not been able to make a good ODBC connection. The client fires up, and I get asked to log in, but the connection fails at that point. Have tested with MS Access97, MS ODBCSDK tools, and Oracle tools. Does anyone have advice about how to make this connection? Thanks, Dan Abushanab abushad@polaroid.com Hello Dan, You may want to post the contents of the odbc data source listed in the registry u...

Problems with SQL Anywhere 5.5 and ODBC connections-HELP!!!!
Hi! Question from a SQL Anywhere 5.5 - newbie : I'm having a big problem with SQL Anywhere 5.5 and an ODBC connection. I'm able to connect to my database via ODBC but I'm not able to get any write access to it, e.g. updating or inserting records and so on. When I'm trying to update/insert something, I get an 'authentification failure' ... This happens in Delphi 4, in Access I can link to the tables of my SQL Anywhere DB, but it seems to be read-only. DB User permissions are ok, since I connect with the DBA account... I'm sitting here waiting fo...

Cannot connect via ODBC DSN to Sql Anywhere across network
Hello again. I am trying to connect to a database on a network server via ODBC. I want to be able to set up a DSN on multiple client machines and connect to a central server. However, I am not able to connect. I am not sure where in the process I am going wrong. I have created a network service on a central server running sql anywhere. The machines name is lotus. I named the service testservice and pointed it at a local database named testdatabase.db. The service is running, but how do I tell if the database is running? Does it automatically run with the service. This is what I wo...

Unable to connect to SQL Anywhere server through ODBC on Windows 98
I'm using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5 client on a Windows 98 PC to try to connect to a DB server on the LAN and get a "Can't connect to server" error. When I use ISQL and give the server name and startline I can connect, so it appears to only be a problem when going through ODBC. Here's the ODBC Administrator entry I have that isn't working: Data Source Name: NMC Description: (blank) User ID: (blank) Password: (blank) Server Name: LAX-EMKR Database Name: NMC Database Startup is set to "Cust...

Dynamic ODBC connection to SQL Anywhere 5.5 help!
Is it possible to connect to an SQL Anywhere database dynamically via ODBC without setting any DSN? I have manage to connect to SQLAnyhere database from PowerBuilder 5.0 using the following connect string: DbParm=ConnectString='Driver={Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0};UID=dba;PWD=sql;Databasename=idb;EngineName=isd10;start=D:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 5.0\win32\dbclient.exe -x tcpip' The above settings allows me to connect to SQL Anywhere database without the need to set DSN in my ODBC registry, however it requires me to preinstall SQL Anywhere onto the PC and register t...

Connection to Access query works in developer envir, but not on the web <OleDbException (0x80004005): ODBC--connection to 'ODBC' failed>
I am VERY frustrated with a seemingly simple problem.  I am creating a gridview in VWD (express or studio), then connecting to a query within an Access Database.  The results of the query display without problem in the developer envirornment, but simply will not display when copied out to the website.  The ODBC connection that the Access Database is using fails even on the local machine.  I have spent fruitless hours looking at all security settings in IIS and the effected folders.  I could re-write all the access queries in SQL and connect to the server direct...

How to connect my Sql through ODBC
Dear All , I am trying to connect MY SQL which is hosted on other machine . That system is running under linux. Now i try to conect to that MY Sql through  ODBC But i am gettinmg error . Pleaase find the code and exception and let me know the Reason behind that .  code: OdbcConnection connection = new OdbcConnection();connection.ConnectionString = "DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 5.0.67 Driver};"+"server=172.19.24.163;" + "database=bas;" + "uid=root;"+"OPTION=3"; connection.Open(); DataTable dt= connection.GetSchema();     ...

Web resources about - SQl Anywhere ODBC connection - sybase.connectivity.odbc

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: CPRS researchers study auditory connection
For 16 years Kerry Whyman ``secretly&quot; thought she had bone cancer and was dying secretly because she'd stopped telling doctors how much ...

Fictional Lawyers Use Their Family Connections Too
This film character had a family connection to his lawyer.

This Is How Facebook Is Working to Improve Experience On Slower Connections
... the globe, that’s not their situation . In recent years, Facebook has paid close attention to its user experience on 2G and other slow connections. ...

Addappt now lets you block contacts and connections
... gives you even more control than before. New features Block a current contact from connecting if they use Addappt down the road Block a connection ...