looking for recommendations about installing ASE 12.5.2 and ASE 12.5.3 on HP-UX IPF

Hi, We are about to install ASE 12.5.3 esd#7 64bit on HP-UX IPF
server.
Are they any recommendations regarding installing on HP Itanium 64bit
servers?
Is there a best practices document for ASE 12.5.3 ?

thanks.
Itzhak.
0
izik_is
3/20/2007 11:43:37 AM
sybase.ase.unix 866 articles. 0 followers. Follow

izik_is@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi, We are about to install ASE 12.5.3 esd#7 64bit on HP-UX IPF
> server.
> Are they any recommendations regarding installing on HP Itanium 64bit
> servers?
> Is there a best practices document for ASE 12.5.3 ?

	There's no specific document. There are comments and recommendations
	in the SAG (System Administrator's Guide) and in the installation
	and configuration documents. The release notes will also have
	some platform-specific notes.

	What I usually do is install ASE on its own file system (e.g. /sybase).
	But you can install it practically anywhere. Having its own file
	system makes it easier to backup and restore the file system if
	required. Mirror the file system device if its production. Try
	and keep this file system clean (i.e. don't dump all kinds of
	files there or, if you have to, keep notes on what's what so
	you don't forget later or hand over to someone who's not familiar
	with what's happening). Outside of this file system, you'll have
	an rc file to autostart ASE at system boot (init level 3) and
	shut it down otherwise.

	Install any ASE-related scripts you might write or download
	in a common location. Remember ASE is client/server. Document
	your scripts and add comments to your crontab entries.

	Try and stick to raw devices. Mirror the important devices. Pick
	some sensible naming conventions for your devices and ASE server
	instance names. Remember you can run more than one instance - of
	which they may also be differing versions.

	There's probably lots more things you could do. Post back with
	some specific questions since this topic is quite broad.

-am	� 2007
A. M. wrote:
> izik_is@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Hi, We are about to install ASE 12.5.3 esd#7 64bit on HP-UX IPF
>> server.
>> Are they any recommendations regarding installing on HP Itanium 64bit
>> servers?

The install or config guide should cover OS reconfig and installing
/dev/async. Also, you need to give the group the "sybase" user a couple
of priviledges (coverered as well).

After ASE boots you need to check that devices are opened asyncronously.
/dev/async must be locked into physical memory and memory shortage may
cause this to fail, and hence ASE falls over to synchronous IO even on raw.

>> Is there a best practices document for ASE 12.5.3 ?
>
> 	There's no specific document. There are comments and recommendations
> 	in the SAG (System Administrator's Guide) and in the installation
> 	and configuration documents. The release notes will also have
> 	some platform-specific notes.
>
> 	What I usually do is install ASE on its own file system (e.g. /sybase).
> 	But you can install it practically anywhere. Having its own file
> 	system makes it easier to backup and restore the file system if
> 	required. Mirror the file system device if its production. Try
> 	and keep this file system clean (i.e. don't dump all kinds of
> 	files there or, if you have to, keep notes on what's what so
> 	you don't forget later or hand over to someone who's not familiar
> 	with what's happening). Outside of this file system, you'll have
> 	an rc file to autostart ASE at system boot (init level 3) and
> 	shut it down otherwise.

File system is a big no-no on HPUX since we only do synchronous IO (not
async) on HPUX. So this means raw devices for tempdb's too.

HTH,

/Stefan
0
Stefan
3/22/2007 11:41:17 AM
Hi AM and Stefan Karlsson,
Although this is not the subject, can You please answer.
I have one simple question considering HP-UX, and file systems vs. raw
devices. What is your recommendation file system or raw devices?

Thank You,
Vojislav Depalov

Stefan Karlsson wrote:
> A. M. wrote:
>> izik_is@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> Hi, We are about to install ASE 12.5.3 esd#7 64bit on HP-UX IPF
>>> server.
>>> Are they any recommendations regarding installing on HP Itanium 64bit
>>> servers?
>
> The install or config guide should cover OS reconfig and installing
> /dev/async. Also, you need to give the group the "sybase" user a couple
> of priviledges (coverered as well).
>
> After ASE boots you need to check that devices are opened asyncronously.
> /dev/async must be locked into physical memory and memory shortage may
> cause this to fail, and hence ASE falls over to synchronous IO even on raw.
>
>>> Is there a best practices document for ASE 12.5.3 ?
>>
>>     There's no specific document. There are comments and recommendations
>>     in the SAG (System Administrator's Guide) and in the installation
>>     and configuration documents. The release notes will also have
>>     some platform-specific notes.
>>
>>     What I usually do is install ASE on its own file system (e.g.
>> /sybase).
>>     But you can install it practically anywhere. Having its own file
>>     system makes it easier to backup and restore the file system if
>>     required. Mirror the file system device if its production. Try
>>     and keep this file system clean (i.e. don't dump all kinds of
>>     files there or, if you have to, keep notes on what's what so
>>     you don't forget later or hand over to someone who's not familiar
>>     with what's happening). Outside of this file system, you'll have
>>     an rc file to autostart ASE at system boot (init level 3) and
>>     shut it down otherwise.
>
> File system is a big no-no on HPUX since we only do synchronous IO (not
> async) on HPUX. So this means raw devices for tempdb's too.
>
> HTH,
>
> /Stefan
0
Vojislav
3/22/2007 3:42:56 PM
Vojislav Depalov wrote:
> Hi AM and Stefan Karlsson,
> Although this is not the subject, can You please answer.
> I have one simple question considering HP-UX, and file systems vs. raw
> devices. What is your recommendation file system or raw devices?

  .
  .
  .

>> File system is a big no-no on HPUX since we only do synchronous IO
>> (not async) on HPUX. So this means raw devices for tempdb's too.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> /Stefan
0
Stefan
3/22/2007 4:14:14 PM
Thanks Stefan,
now I got it :-)

Vojislav Depalov

"Stefan Karlsson" <Stefan.Karlsson@Sybase.JustSayNoToSpam.com> wrote in
message news:4602AB55.3020001@Sybase.JustSayNoToSpam.com...
> Vojislav Depalov wrote:
> > Hi AM and Stefan Karlsson,
> > Although this is not the subject, can You please answer.
> > I have one simple question considering HP-UX, and file systems vs. raw
> > devices. What is your recommendation file system or raw devices?
> >
>   .
>   .
>   .
> >>
> >> File system is a big no-no on HPUX since we only do synchronous IO
> >> (not async) on HPUX. So this means raw devices for tempdb's too.
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >>
> >> /Stefan

0
Vojislav
3/22/2007 7:24:30 PM
Stefan Karlsson wrote:

> >       What I usually do is install ASE on its own file system (e.g. /sybase).
> >       But you can install it practically anywhere. Having its own file
> >       system makes it easier to backup and restore the file system if
> >       required. Mirror the file system device if its production. Try
> >       and keep this file system clean (i.e. don't dump all kinds of
> >       files there or, if you have to, keep notes on what's what so
> >       you don't forget later or hand over to someone who's not familiar
> >       with what's happening). Outside of this file system, you'll have
> >       an rc file to autostart ASE at system boot (init level 3) and
> >       shut it down otherwise.
>
> File system is a big no-no on HPUX since we only do synchronous IO (not
> async) on HPUX. So this means raw devices for tempdb's too.

	Er ... even the ASE software itself? I suspect you misread
	what I was on about.

-am	� 2007
Vojislav Depalov wrote:

> Hi AM and Stefan Karlsson,
> Although this is not the subject, can You please answer.
> I have one simple question considering HP-UX, and file systems vs. raw
> devices. What is your recommendation file system or raw devices?

	Raw for the data devices. You can only install the ASE software
	on a file system. I also recall Sybase don't recommend using NFS.

-am	� 2007
Stefan Karlsson wrote:
> File system is a big no-no on HPUX since we only do synchronous IO
> (not async) on HPUX. So this means raw devices for tempdb's too.
>
> HTH,
>
> /Stefan

Dear Stefan,

does it means that there is no benefit from using disk cache on HP?

TIA,
Alekandar

0
Aleksandar
3/23/2007 3:58:35 PM
Aleksandar Galovic wrote:

> does it means that there is no benefit from using disk cache on HP?

	Disk cache is a separate issue to what's been discussed. They
	should be beneficial but it depends on the nature of the transactions.

-am	� 2007

Web resources about - looking for recommendations about installing ASE 12.5.2 and ASE 12.5.3 on HP-UX IPF - sybase.ase.unix

Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Passed the House on January 9, 2007 (299-128 Roll call vote 015 , via Clerk.House.gov) Reported by the joint conference committee on July 25, ...

Recommendation Platform Top10 Adds Facebook-Integrated No. 1 Button
Recommendation platform Top10 added a No. 1 button to its website, allowing users to share their top recommendations for topics of all kinds ...

Under the Hood: Building the App Center recommendation engine - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Building the App Center recommendation engine geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen ...

Introducing the Recommendations Bar
Today we're launching the Recommendations Bar, a new social plug-in that helps people find articles based on what their friends like and share ...

Facebook’s Instant Personalization Improves Suggestions on Clicker Online TV Recommendations
Today, Facebook unveils instant personalization for online television recommendations engine Clicker. When you visit the site while logged in ...

Zacks Investment Research - Proven Stock Ratings Research Recommendations
Zacks is the leading investment research firm focusing on equities earnings estimates and stock analysis for the individual investor, including ...

foursquare : With foursquare deemphasizing the checkin in v5.0, are the explore recommendations going ...
Answer (1 of 4): I guess there's another way of looking at it. They're trying to make you feel less pressured to check-in and spend more time ...

Recollect — Beautiful music recommendations for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Recollect — Beautiful music recommendations on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Fair Work Commission must not ignore penalty rate recommendations, says Eric Abetz
Former workplace relations minister Eric Abetz says the Fair Work Commission cannot ignore calls to reduce Sunday penalty rates, if as expected ...

Turnbull government responds to Harper review into competition laws, accepts majority of recommendations ...
... retail trading hours, taxi services and road transport regulations. The Turnbull government has agreed to the vast majority of recommendations ...