increase number of user connections

Hi folks,
I have a SUN E4500 with 2 CPU and 4GB RAM with 2 ASE 11.9.2 (datapopulation

and one standby)and a Replicationserver.
(max online engines 1 because 2 CPU).
With SELECT @@max_connections I get 1014.
The following web-application needs approx. 3000 user connections, but I
can configure only ca. 800.
by the way: I've try it with ulimit -Sn 1024,
but without success - the value from @@max_connections dosn't change

Is there any way to increase the number of user connections without build
in new CPUs (and increase max online engines)?

hope for your help

Ingmar
0
Ingmar_Pfeiffer
10/5/2001 2:28:37 PM
sybase.ase.unix 866 articles. 0 followers. Follow

use sp_configure to change it

Ingmar_Pfeiffer wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I have a SUN E4500 with 2 CPU and 4GB RAM with 2 ASE 11.9.2 (datapopulation
>
> and one standby)and a Replicationserver.
> (max online engines 1 because 2 CPU).
> With SELECT @@max_connections I get 1014.
> The following web-application needs approx. 3000 user connections, but I
> can configure only ca. 800.
> by the way: I've try it with ulimit -Sn 1024,
> but without success - the value from @@max_connections dosn't change
>
> Is there any way to increase the number of user connections without build
> in new CPUs (and increase max online engines)?
>
> hope for your help
>
> Ingmar

0
Allen
10/5/2001 6:20:39 PM
Yes, of course, I've try it with sp_configure 'number of user connection',
3000
but then I've got this errormessage:
The sum, (number of user connections) + (number of devices * max online
machines * 2) + (number of remote sites) + (max numbers of network
listeners), must be no greater than '1014'.
Msg 5849, Level 16. State 1:
Server 'TT1_PRODUKT', Procedure 'sp_configure', line 433:
Verification failed for parameter 'number of user connections'.
(return status = 1)

The real problem is, I can't increase @@max_connections over 1014 - with
Sybase central I've got the same result.
:-(

Ingmar
0
Ingmar_Pfeiffer
10/7/2001 5:14:40 PM
<Ingmar_Pfeiffer> wrote in message
> Yes, of course, I've try it with sp_configure 'number of user
connection',
> 3000
> but then I've got this errormessage:
> The sum, (number of user connections) + (number of devices * max
online
> machines * 2) + (number of remote sites) + (max numbers of network
> listeners), must be no greater than '1014'.
> Msg 5849, Level 16. State 1:
> Server 'TT1_PRODUKT', Procedure 'sp_configure', line 433:
> Verification failed for parameter 'number of user connections'.
> (return status = 1)
>
> The real problem is, I can't increase @@max_connections over 1014 -
with
> Sybase central I've got the same result.
> :-(
>
> Ingmar

The value of @@max_connections is derived from the number of engines
in your ASE server and the max. number of open files (=same as open
connections) for each OS process -- see the caclulation in the error
message. The only way to increase the number of connections is to add
more engines to your ASE server. Count about 1010 per engine on Unix.
For clarity, this is a Unix limitation, not directly an ASE
limitation.

HTH,

Rob
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 12.0/11.5/11.0

Author of "The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
Online orders accepted at http://www.sypron.nl/qr

email mailto:rob@sypron.nl.*No*Spam*Please*
WWW  http://www.sypron.nl
snail Sypron B.V., P.O.Box 10695, 2501HR Den Haag, The Netherlands

Rob
10/7/2001 8:50:26 PM
Please do not post the same message in more than one newsgroup.  I provided an answer in
one of the other groups you posted in.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant

set rlim_fd_max=32768
set rlim_fd_cur=4096

This increase the filedescriptors from the operating system (Sun Solaris
2.6) - after reboot the UNIX-machine I get with

select @@max_connections
go
----------------
29970

I've use sp_configure 'number of user connections', 3000

and it works!!! :-)

thank you all for your help!

Ingmar Pfeiffer
0
Ingmar
10/8/2001 11:17:31 AM
Ingmar wrote...
> I have include the following in the /etc/system - file:
>
> set rlim_fd_max=32768
> set rlim_fd_cur=4096
>
> This increase the filedescriptors from the operating system (Sun Solaris
> 2.6) - after reboot the UNIX-machine I get with
>
> select @@max_connections
> go
> ----------------
> 29970
>
> I've use sp_configure 'number of user connections', 3000
>
> and it works!!! :-)
>
> thank you all for your help!

Great!  Thanks for letting us know what worked.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant
Sybase Professional Services
0
Jim
10/9/2001 4:10:14 AM

  Ingmar> and one standby)and a Replicationserver.  (max online engines 1
  Ingmar> because 2 CPU).  With SELECT @@max_connections I get 1014.  The

Although it _used_ to be true that Sybase recommended setting the number of
exngines to be one less than the number of CPUs, this is no longer the
case.  This is getting to be a myth and I must add a secion to the FAQ
stating as much.  You can increase the number of engines to 2 on your
system and so increase the number of connections that way.

dowen
--
David Owen     Midsomer Consultants Inc.      dowen@midsomer.org
Maintainer of the Sybase FAQ: http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ

How to connect to ASE where the Number of users connections reached max.
Is there any way the 'sa' can connect to the ASE when the server reached user connections limit. Let us say if have the number of user connections = 100, Can we set the server to accept only 99 and leave one connection for sa. Any ideas ? Thanks RK <mc> wrote in message news:90CF65CADCBB10550052A3D485256D25.00521D4B85256D25@webforums... > > Is there any way the 'sa' can connect to the ASE when the server reached > > user connections limit. Let us say if have the number of user > connections = > > 100, Can we set the server to a...

Default number of user connections to ASE
Hi I have a 30 user licence of my ASE 11.5 I would like to know the number of user connections that are taken up by default by the server. And how many user connections do I need to account for , before deciding upon the number of actual client connections (say, from a PB application) Thanx Anil Output of select @@version is : Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.5/P/Nt/OS 4.00/1/fbu Anil wrote: > > Hi > > I have a 30 user licence of my ASE 11.5 > I would like to know the number of user connections that are taken up by > default by the server. And how many...

Number of User, Number of Connections
Hi, Does open client provide a mechanism to write an application that will alow me to monitor the number of users and connections to a database? Regards, San > Does open client provide a mechanism to write an application that will alow > me to monitor the number of users and connections to a database? I do not think Open Client has a way to do it, but I think the easiest is to select the info from master.dbo.sysprocesses Stephan On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 16:18:03 -0400, Stephan Marais <smarais@mindspring.com> wrote: You could write an openclient application tha...

number connection with huge number user !
I use sqlhelper to get data from database.my table has 10000 records.I know that there are approximates 3000 users access my web application and load 10000 records about  5 minutes.I use method ExecuteDataSet to get DataSet from server.I feel that there are many connection hit database (connection pooling is about 90) , web application is quite slowly.Are there other solutions to get better ?Thank you very much.   How about caching the result from the database the first time?When you ask a question, remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a rep...

Number of connected users ?????
How can I get the number of connected users on a database ??? (If it's possible of course !) Thanks ! Cyril, try use system variable '@@connections'; or try use 'sa_conn_info' and '@@rowcount' (build a procedure with this two statments). /// Claudinei Walker - S�o Paulo - Brazil /// Cyril FERDYNUS escreveu na mensagem ... >How can I get the number of connected users on a database ??? > >(If it's possible of course !) > >Thanks ! > > You may use "sa_db_info" or the following statement. Please use ...

Increasing User Connections
Hi Sybase Gurus, I would like to increase the number of user connection configuration in our Sybase setup. Here's the following info that might help somebody that will going to help me: ASE 11.9.2 Sybase Version AIX 4.2.1 Operating Systems 256MB OS Memory 2000 OS File Descriptor 29523 OS Free Mem under normal condition (working hr) 36864 ASE Stack Size config 90000 ASE Total Mem 10739 ASE Exec Code size + overhead 2048 ASE Max Network Size 50 ...

number of user connections
Hi, I'm trying to configure my server, ASE 12 on sun ha. My number of user connections is set to 200. I want to change that to 1000. I think the servercan support this I have 2G of memory but I need to know the effect on the other parameters. Thaks Bilal ELJOUZOU wrote: > > I'm trying to configure my server, ASE 12 on sun ha. > My number of user connections is set to 200. I want to change that to 1000. > I think the servercan support this I have 2G of memory but I need to know > the effect on the other parameters. Each user connection requires a ce...

Number of User Connections
How do I find out how many user connections I currently have? Not the configured amount but how many I have against my server at any given time. Thanks If you mean "the current number of active user connections", try this: select count(*) from master..sysprocesses where suid > 0 HTH, Rob ------------------------------------------------------------- Rob Verschoor Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0 and Replication Server 12.5 / TeamSybase Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop): "Tips, Tricks & Recipe...

increase number of connections
how can I set the limit or increase the number of connection to server? should I go to to ASA ISQL and run a command? thanks in advance, I'll assume you are running v6 or great, since you mention "ASA" and not "SQL Anywhere". This answer does not apply to v5 (or Watcom SQL for that matter, if anyone even remembers what that is). Assuming that you have purchased licenses to allow more connections to the database server, you can change the number of licensed users on the database server by using the dblic utility. Note that if you are running the...

Number of User Connections
Hi! We have been getting a 'maximum number of user connections has been reached error.' Is there a way to check how many user connections are being used? I mean, is there a select I can execute to check the number of current user connections to the server? I want to be able to see from time to time how many user connections are utilized so we'll have an idea of how many user connections we should configure our server. Any input/hints would be greatly appreciated. select count(*) from sysprocesses, less the number of system processes. -bret PBelle wrote: >...

number of user connection
Hello, I am using Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.0.3/EBF 10980 ESD#1 on Red Hat Linux Advanced Server release 2.1AS (Pensacola). When I try to set the "number of user connection" to a value higher than 25 I get the following error: 1> sp_configure "number of user connections", 30 2> go Msg 10848, Level 16, State 1: Server 'speedy', Procedure 'sp_configure', Line 616: The Adaptive Server Enterprise Developer Edition does not allow you to set this configuration parameter to a value higher than 25. Msg 5849, Level 16, State 1: Server...

number of user connections
I have SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.4 in a Windows NT Server, but only one client at time NT Workstaion can connect to the database. How can i connect to the DB with more users at the same time? Are you using dbeng6 or dbsrv6? ...

Web resources about - increase number of user connections - sybase.ase.unix

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities&nbsp;have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

... of Emergency Services) On Wednesday evening, California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles County in connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.

Star Wars Rebels Trailer Reveals Force Awakens Connection - Collider
The new extended trailer for the mid-season premiere of the Disney XD animated series Star Wars Rebels reveals a huge connection to The Force ...