Converting NT 11.5 ASE to a Solaris 12.5 ASE

We are trying to migrate a server running on Windows NT to a Solaris
machine.  The NT box is running ASE 11.5 and the Solaris box is running
12.5.  So far, the only way we have came up with to migrate the data is bcp.
The problem is we estimate this to be probably about a 6-7 hour process.
Our shop runs 24*7*365 and unfortunately downtime is not something we get.

In the past when we have migrated servers, we have used warm-standby which
has worked really nicely.  But in this case we can't run dump and load to
populate the database.

Has anyone been able to migrate an NT box to a Unix box with a method other
than bcp?  If so, I would be really interested in hearing how you did it and
how much downtime you had to take as a result.

Thx,
Grant Carter
Grant A. Carter
Boise, ID

0
Grant
3/27/2002 1:37:51 AM
sybase.ase.unix 866 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Grant A. Carter" wrote:

> We are trying to migrate a server running on Windows NT to a Solaris
> machine.  The NT box is running ASE 11.5 and the Solaris box is running
> 12.5.  So far, the only way we have came up with to migrate the data is bcp.

	There are actually 3 - bcp, the BCP API or CIS.

> The problem is we estimate this to be probably about a 6-7 hour process.
> Our shop runs 24*7*365 and unfortunately downtime is not something we get.

	Not even over quiet periods like Easter?

	Some obvious questions would be - how large is your data set?
	Have you tried copying tables over in parallel? This may depend
	on your network bandwidth and the disk i/o subsystem on the
	Solaris side (for the writes - reads shouldn't be as critical).
	What tuning have you explored so far to get maximum performance
	for the migration? What timeframe are you considering for the
	migration? If its soon, how prepared are you?

> In the past when we have migrated servers, we have used warm-standby which
> has worked really nicely.  But in this case we can't run dump and load to
> populate the database.

	That's correct. Intel and Sparc processors have different endianess.

> Has anyone been able to migrate an NT box to a Unix box with a method other
> than bcp?  If so, I would be really interested in hearing how you did it and
> how much downtime you had to take as a result.

	Since you can't use the warm standby method due to the hardware
	architecture, some down time will be required. The CIS approach
	(using proxy tables) might be the most effective. You can migrate
	partially and use proxy tables to point back to the ASE 11.5 server
	on NT for unmigrated tables then do them at a later date(s). Using
	CIS over a lot of proxied tables may have some performance
	implications that you should consider.

-am	� 2002
0
Anthony
3/27/2002 3:48:42 AM
Thank you for your suggestions.  We will be migrating databases that have
several tables with 2+ million rows.  In fact one of the tables is up toward
100 million rows.

We support a 24*7 manufacturing operation that works 365 days a year.
Manufacturing runs even on Christmas...  One thing we looked at is setting
up straight replication and then at some point take 15 minutes of downtime
to play switcharoo with the servers.  We would have probably 600 or so
tables to replicate, so the setup takes a lot of time but we could pull it
off with minimal downtime.

Thanks again for the input.

Grant Carter
Boise, Idaho

"Anthony Mandic" <sp_am_block@start.com.au> wrote in message
> "Grant A. Carter" wrote:
> >
> > We are trying to migrate a server running on Windows NT to a Solaris
> > machine.  The NT box is running ASE 11.5 and the Solaris box is running
> > 12.5.  So far, the only way we have came up with to migrate the data is
bcp.

> There are actually 3 - bcp, the BCP API or CIS.
>
> > The problem is we estimate this to be probably about a 6-7 hour process.
> > Our shop runs 24*7*365 and unfortunately downtime is not something we
get.

> Not even over quiet periods like Easter?
>
> Some obvious questions would be - how large is your data set?
> Have you tried copying tables over in parallel? This may depend
> on your network bandwidth and the disk i/o subsystem on the
> Solaris side (for the writes - reads shouldn't be as critical).
> What tuning have you explored so far to get maximum performance
> for the migration? What timeframe are you considering for the
> migration? If its soon, how prepared are you?
>
> > In the past when we have migrated servers, we have used warm-standby
which
> > has worked really nicely.  But in this case we can't run dump and load
> > populate the database.
>
> That's correct. Intel and Sparc processors have different endianess.
>
> > Has anyone been able to migrate an NT box to a Unix box with a method
other
> > than bcp?  If so, I would be really interested in hearing how you did it
and
> > how much downtime you had to take as a result.
>
> Since you can't use the warm standby method due to the hardware
> architecture, some down time will be required. The CIS approach
> (using proxy tables) might be the most effective. You can migrate
> partially and use proxy tables to point back to the ASE 11.5 server
> on NT for unmigrated tables then do them at a later date(s). Using
> CIS over a lot of proxied tables may have some performance
> implications that you should consider.
>
> -am � 2002

0
Grant
3/27/2002 4:38:23 AM
sftwear@yahoo.com wrote...
> Thank you for your suggestions.  We will be migrating databases that have
> several tables with 2+ million rows.  In fact one of the tables is up toward
> 100 million rows.
>
> We support a 24*7 manufacturing operation that works 365 days a year.
> Manufacturing runs even on Christmas...  One thing we looked at is setting
> up straight replication and then at some point take 15 minutes of downtime
> to play switcharoo with the servers.  We would have probably 600 or so
> tables to replicate, so the setup takes a lot of time but we could pull it
> off with minimal downtime.

Replication is indeed the preferred method for this type of migration.  I think the
replication setup might be a lot easier than you think.  If it's more than you want to deal
with then you might want to consider contacting Sybase Professional Services.  If you are
who I think you are then your company has already worked with SPS on a number of projects.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant
Sybase Professional Services
0
Jim
3/27/2002 5:44:23 AM
"Grant A. Carter" wrote:

> Thank you for your suggestions.  We will be migrating databases that have
> several tables with 2+ million rows.  In fact one of the tables is up toward
> 100 million rows.

	Of that data, do the rows have a surrogate, monotonically increasing
	primary key and are old rows ever deleted or updated?

> We support a 24*7 manufacturing operation that works 365 days a year.

	Sounds a lot like Micron.

> Manufacturing runs even on Christmas...  One thing we looked at is setting
> up straight replication and then at some point take 15 minutes of downtime
> to play switcharoo with the servers.  We would have probably 600 or so
> tables to replicate, so the setup takes a lot of time but we could pull it
> off with minimal downtime.

	Yes, that's possible too.

-am	� 2002
0
Anthony
3/27/2002 6:41:44 AM
Here's a method that only requires people get out of the old database long
enough to dump it. Tell me what you think about this.

Phase One:
1) Install repserver and configure with generous amounts of stable device.
2) create the repdefs
3) define, activate, and validate the subscriptions but don't materialize
them yet.
4) suspend the connection to the replicate database
DO NOT  MARK PRIMARY OBJECTS FOR REPLICATION YET!

Phase Two: (do this quick)
1) kick everyone off primary database
2) dump the primary
3) mark the primary objects for replication
4) let everyone back in to the primary

At this point, all changes to the primary will pile up in the outbound queue
for the replicate database, and your dump image contains what the database
should look like prior to any further changes taking place.  If you can get
this dump image into the replicate and then resume the connection to the
replicate, your databases will be in sync and repserver will keep them that
way.

Phase Three:
1) load the dump to another database
2) bcp out of the newly loaded database
3) bcp in to the replicate database
4) resume the connection to the replicate database

Important notes:
1) If you use identity columns in the primary database, make sure that you
use identity as the datatype in the repdef.
2) If you use timestamp columns in the primary, leave them out of the repdef
altogether.
3) If you want to make the transfer process go faster, try this in the
Solaris box:
   mkfifo fifo
   bcp targetdb..targettable in fifo ....... > bcpin.log &
   bcp sourcedb..sourcetable out fifo > bcpout.log

The named pipe (i called it fifo) is a first-in-first-out buffer.  As the
bcpout writes data to the buffer, the bcpin (running in the background) will
read it.  When the bcpout completes and closes the file (fifo), the bcpin
will detect this as an end of file and complete.  This allows the bcpin to
operate in parallel (albeit with a bit of latency) with the bcpout, and the
buffer will only be as big as the difference between the bcpout and the
bcpin.  This can cut the transfer time nearly in half.

Good Luck and let us know how you come out.

Jason Webster

"Grant A. Carter" <sftwear@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We are trying to migrate a server running on Windows NT to a Solaris
> machine.  The NT box is running ASE 11.5 and the Solaris box is running
> 12.5.  So far, the only way we have came up with to migrate the data is
bcp.
> The problem is we estimate this to be probably about a 6-7 hour process.
> Our shop runs 24*7*365 and unfortunately downtime is not something we get.
>
> In the past when we have migrated servers, we have used warm-standby which
> has worked really nicely.  But in this case we can't run dump and load to
> populate the database.
>
> Has anyone been able to migrate an NT box to a Unix box with a method
other
> than bcp?  If so, I would be really interested in hearing how you did it
and
> how much downtime you had to take as a result.
>
> Thx,
> Grant Carter
> Grant A. Carter
> Boise, ID

0
Jason
3/27/2002 9:34:43 PM
That is almost like warm standby.  Problem is byte order (big endian vs.
little endian) going from NT to Solaris will not allow a Solaris box to load
an NT dump.

We have used warm standby in the past to migrate server with 0 downtime, but
in this case the dump and load isn't a valid option because of the byte
order.

Maybe I missed something here and if I did, please let me know.

Thx,
Grant Carter

"Jason Webster" <jason.webster`@mail.state.ky.us> wrote in message
> [...]
> > machine.  The NT box is running ASE 11.5 and the Solaris box is running
> > 12.5.  So far, the only way we have came up with to migrate the data is
> bcp.
> > The problem is we estimate this to be probably about a 6-7 hour process.
> > Our shop runs 24*7*365 and unfortunately downtime is not something we
get.

> > In the past when we have migrated servers, we have used warm-standby
which
> > has worked really nicely.  But in this case we can't run dump and load
> > populate the database.
> >
> > Has anyone been able to migrate an NT box to a Unix box with a method
> other
> > than bcp?  If so, I would be really interested in hearing how you did it
> and
> > how much downtime you had to take as a result.

0
Grant
3/28/2002 4:14:14 AM
sftwear@yahoo.com wrote...
> That is almost like warm standby.  Problem is byte order (big endian vs.
> little endian) going from NT to Solaris will not allow a Solaris box to load
> an NT dump.
>
> We have used warm standby in the past to migrate server with 0 downtime, but
> in this case the dump and load isn't a valid option because of the byte
> order.

There is supposed to be a feature in Rep Server that will allow you to replicate from an
active database to an empty database.  It will move all the data over to the empty database
while also getting the new data there also.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant
Sybase Professional Services
0
Jim
3/28/2002 4:50:40 AM
Jim Egan wrote:

> There is supposed to be a feature in Rep Server that will allow you to replicate
> from an active database to an empty database.  It will move all the data over to
> the empty database while also getting the new data there also.

	Bulk materialisation. Anyone know if the logs have to wait before
	they get replicated over? If so, you'd need a very large log to
	cope with the expected size while waiting on a very large database
	to be replicated. It could get ugly.

-am	� 2002
0
Anthony
3/28/2002 7:10:21 AM
The log in the primary only has to wait if the rep agent can't forward ltl
to the repserver.  If the repserver has enough stable storage and the rep
agent stays up, the primary log won't fill due to the secondary truncation
point not moving.

> Jim Egan wrote:
>
> > There is supposed to be a feature in Rep Server that will allow you to
replicate
> > from an active database to an empty database.  It will move all the data
over to
> > the empty database while also getting the new data there also.
>
> Bulk materialisation. Anyone know if the logs have to wait before
> they get replicated over? If so, you'd need a very large log to
> cope with the expected size while waiting on a very large database
> to be replicated. It could get ugly.
>
> -am � 2002

0
Jason
3/28/2002 6:39:31 PM
There are a couple of ways to do it, but one of them holds a lock on the
table in the primary, and I don't remember what the other is.

"Jim Egan" <dontspam.dbaguru@eganomics.com> wrote in message
> sftwear@yahoo.com wrote...
> > That is almost like warm standby.  Problem is byte order (big endian vs.
> > little endian) going from NT to Solaris will not allow a Solaris box to
load
> > an NT dump.
> >
> > We have used warm standby in the past to migrate server with 0 downtime,
but
> > in this case the dump and load isn't a valid option because of the byte
> > order.
> >

> There is supposed to be a feature in Rep Server that will allow you to
replicate from an
> active database to an empty database.  It will move all the data over to
the empty database
> while also getting the new data there also.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
> Senior Consultant
> Sybase Professional Services

0
Jason
3/28/2002 6:40:52 PM
Perhaps I wasn't clear. You wouldn't load the nt dump on solaris,  that
absolutely won't work.  Instead, load it back to an nt installation and move
the data with bcp.

bcp works fine between different platforms, but if you run into problems you
can always resort to creating a separate database on the target server and
use cis to move the data.

> [...]
> > > 12.5.  So far, the only way we have came up with to migrate the data
is
> > bcp.
> > > The problem is we estimate this to be probably about a 6-7 hour
process.
> > > Our shop runs 24*7*365 and unfortunately downtime is not something we
> get.
> > >
> > > In the past when we have migrated servers, we have used warm-standby
> which
> > > has worked really nicely.  But in this case we can't run dump and load
> > > populate the database.
> > >
> > > Has anyone been able to migrate an NT box to a Unix box with a method
> > other
> > > than bcp?  If so, I would be really interested in hearing how you did
it
> > and
> > > how much downtime you had to take as a result.

0
Jason

rep solaris ase 11.5.1 to nt ase 11.5/11.51
Help! I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase 11.5 or 11.5.1 on nt on intel. Could you answer the following: 1) To move the initial data I would like to load the dump data from the Solaris server to Windows nt server. Can this be done? 2) Do my device definitions on the Nt side need to duplicate those on the Solaris side. 3) The repserver is on Solaris as well. I only have 11.5 on nt can get ase 11.5.1 on nt. Is this an issue. Do I need repserver on nt? Any known traps? george wrote: > Help! > > I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase...

Dump from NT ASE 11.5 to NT ASE 11.5.1
I am having trouble dumping a 11.5 ASE database to a 11.5.1 backupserver. I have the remote backupserver listed in the 11.5 remote servers list. It works going from the 11.5.1 machine to the 11.5 machine. Is there a compatibility issue? Thank you for your time. Dax daj@abmdata.com What do you mean by 'having trouble'? Are you getting error messages? If so, what error messages? Any error messages in the backupserver errorlog? Is the dump command hanging? not completing? What is the actual dump command that you're using? Does the target tape/director...

Upgrading ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5 on Solaris 5.6
Does anyone have problems upgrading ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.0 on Solaris 5.6. I know that are issues with upgrading on Solaris 2.5, but what about Solaris 5.6? Thanks, Hang ...

ASE Migration From ASE 11.5.1 (NT) to ASE 12.9 on Win2003.
Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on above subject? Thank you. ASE 12.9? Currently, no released versions of ASE are certified on Win 2003. ASE 12.5.1 will be certified when it is released later this year. Mark Kusma <Lily Maria> wrote in message news:3f497cad.367e.846930886@sybase.com... > Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on > above subject? > Thank you. Thanks for the info. I would like to know if there's any online documentation on migration and upgrade plan of the ASE 11.5.1 to ASE 12.5.1? Do applica...

Migration from ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5
Hello I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point me to some documentation on the subject? I am particularly interested in documents that explain the best way to migrate database objects (tables, indexes, etc...) and data. Thanks in advance. Jorge Vergara Sispro S.A. Canoas - RS - Brasil jlvergara@sispro.com.br wrote... > Hello > > I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point > me to some documentation on the subject? > I am particularly interested in documents that explain the b...

ASE 11.5 on same server as ASE 12.5?
Anyone have 11.5 running on same server as 12.5 on NT? Would not be concerned to do this in Solaris as I am on an NT 4.0 Box sp6. Any known gotchas or issues? Going to take toni's advise in earlier posting on doing the 11.5 install as a seperate user on the server already running 12.5 just fine. Hope this wilkl take care of env vars??? We have one app that the company who developed it will no longer support us on newer versions of Sybase as a result this one crucial app must stay up and running on 11.5 while we allow the rest of our company to progress forward to 12.5 an...

ASE 12.5.2 or ASE 12.5.3 on Solaris 10
Hi there! Have anyone found whitepapers or documentation regarding ASE on Solaris 10? I have tried to search around on sybase.com, but without any luck. I'm particulary looking into zones/containers with ASE and if there is any issues regarding this. Any help is much appreciated. ..prn Hi, As for as i known there aren't whitepapers or docu. I have a couple of boxes with ASE in a zone. So if you have questions mail me. Sjaak Preben Olsen wrote: > Hi there! > > Have anyone found whitepapers or documentation regarding ASE > on Solaris 10? I h...

ASE 12.5 to ASE 12.5.3
One of our client is having 3 no license for ASE 12.5 on Win2K (running 3 production servers) and not in the support/AMC with Sybase.. is client eligible to use ASE 12.5.3 ? Thanks KRV ...

Performance issues after upgrate ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5
Hi How can we improve performance? We're moving a database that was operating fairly well on a HP-UX 10.20 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits) to a HP-UX 11.0 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 12.5 (32 bits) Our problem is the slower performance of the database on the new, more powerful and faster machine with newer software (in both operative system and sybase version) We've noted that it starts really fast but slows down gradually. We�ve tried many ways to improve the performance: -Increase the max memory. -Increase the number of engines at startup...

ASE 12.5 vs ASE 11.5 performance issues
Hi All, Again my question is about performance of ASE 12.5 against 11.5.01 We have a huge production client-server application running on W2K server with ASE 11.5.0.1 database (more than 400 tables, 2000 stored procedures). The database was placed on raw disk partitions (no RAID) and split between different physical drives as follows: data, log, tempdb and master database are located on different drives. We have two PIII, 1GHz, 1 GB of memory and give 800MB for ASE. We create separate tempdb cache and bind tempdb to it. Database was bind to default data cache. Then we want to switc...

Performance issues after upgrate ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5 #2
Hi How can we improve performance? We're moving a database that was operating fairly well on a Sun 3000 with=20 Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits) to a Sun 10000 with Adaptive=20 Server Enterprise v. 12.5 (64 bits) and Solaris v. 8 Our problem is the slower performance of the database on the new, more=20 powerful and faster machine with newer software (in both operative system=20 and sybase version) A particular query with insert used to work for about 2 hours in a Sun 3000= =20 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits).=20 In a Sun 10000 with Adaptive ...

Migrate ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5 causes pc-client problem!!
Hi all, I migrated ASE 11.5/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.5.1 to ASE 12.5/SWR 9609 GA/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.8 on Sun box. I face problem on win 98 client application, written by VB 4, when it use recordset (DAO 3.0) to update table in ASE 12.5. The problem occure when use ODBC sybase system 10. Error in application is [INTERSOLV][ODBC SQL Server driver][SQL Server]Variable is not allowed in trigger. If I use passthru mode to run the same SQL on ASE 12.5, it is not such an error. Then I try to install 12.5 pc client on that machine but I can not do that because when during the installation proc...

ASE Workplace 12.5 vs ASE Enterprise 12.5
Can anyone tell me what are the differences in the 2 packaging of ASE? TIA Himadri Hi Himadri, The main and I guess the only difference is price which is for WP ~= 4 times less. Category depends from machine level, for example for Sun the upper bound for WP is Sun E450 + 3 new XXXR. Go to http://eshop.sybase.com where you can see prices and in the help the up-to-date list of machines with category HTH, Eugene Himadri Laifangbam wrote: > Can anyone tell me what are the differences in the 2 packaging of ASE? > > TIA > Himadri For NT any machines up t...

Web resources about - Converting NT 11.5 ASE to a Solaris 12.5 ASE - sybase.ase.unix

PastBook’s Filepicker.io Integration Eases Process Of Converting Facebook Content To Books
PastBook , one of several companies that allow Facebook users to publish their content on the social network in actual books , announced the ...

Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store on iTunes
Get Zwartz Laminating-Converting B.V. on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

"Occupier" Thanked Former Soviet Citizen for "Converting" Him to Capitalism, Pro-Israel, Pro-USA - YouTube ...
May Day Demonstration on Union Square in New York City Zionism & Birth of Modern Israel in 1948: Former Soviet Citizen Pays Tribute to Ben-Gurion ...