sql remote, replication server

Hi All,
I have a main location, where Sybase ASE and most users are sitting, and one
secondary locations connected through internet where more users access main
database with PowerBuilder applications. Of course, in the secondary
location PB applications run slow.
People in the secondary location does a lot of read from database, and few
updates.
I tried web deploy kit, but it is too slow (we need LOTS of stuff on screen,
constantly updated).
Now I think of having two databases, that are kept synchronized by
"something" (e.g. overnight).
My question is, what should "something" be, sql remote or replication
server? By reading the features of these two products, it seems that they do
the same thing: two-way data synchronization. I hope you tell me that sql
remote is good, since replication server is way too expensive for us :-)
What are the differences between the two?

Thanks in advance
Carlo Borreo

0
Carlo
8/31/2001 3:49:40 PM
sybase.ase.linux 1395 articles. 0 followers. Follow

carlo.borreo@unv.org wrote...
> Hi All,
> I have a main location, where Sybase ASE and most users are sitting, and one
> secondary locations connected through internet where more users access main
> database with PowerBuilder applications. Of course, in the secondary
> location PB applications run slow.
> People in the secondary location does a lot of read from database, and few
> updates.
> I tried web deploy kit, but it is too slow (we need LOTS of stuff on screen,
> constantly updated).
> Now I think of having two databases, that are kept synchronized by
> "something" (e.g. overnight).
> My question is, what should "something" be, sql remote or replication
> server? By reading the features of these two products, it seems that they do
> the same thing: two-way data synchronization. I hope you tell me that sql
> remote is good, since replication server is way too expensive for us :-)
> What are the differences between the two?

This sounds like a problem that calls for a solution that involves Rep Server.  Talk to
your Sybase sales rep and get them to work on an acceptable price.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant

Replication ASE
Hi, How can i replicate data between 2 ASE servers using SQL Remote, because when i use ssxtract it extracts a anywhere database .db. other question is i wanto replicate data via email, is microsoft exchage server enough for this or i'll need other mail server. thanks in advance Joan jmcd wrote in message <37616E0E.91D29322@else.com.pe>... >Hi, > >How can i replicate data between 2 ASE servers using SQL Remote, because >when i use ssxtract it extracts a anywhere database .db. > Hi I try this type of replication. In documentation i d...

ASE 15.0.2
Is it supported? Anyone tries this, if so, could you post the steps and comments. I don't want to use ECDA (gateway) here, unixODBC driver is preferred. Thanks You can't setup a "remote server" to anything other than another ASE, ECDA, or any other open server product. In order to connect to an ODBC target, your only option is ECDA. "dbMethods" <dbmethods@nospam.com> wrote in message news:47e19f5a@forums-1-dub... > Is it supported? Anyone tries this, if so, could you post the steps and > comments. I don't want to use ECDA (gateway)...

ASE to ASE replication using SQL Remote
Since 11.9.2 comes with SQL Remote, can I use it for replication from ASE to ASE instead of a more expensive Replication Server? Yes you can. A couple of considerations: 1) SQL Remote is not intended for near real-time replication. Even with the new hover mode features, you should plan on at least 1 minute latency in each direction. 2) SSXtract does not support automatically extracting a remote ASE database. You will have to manually configure the remote and consolidated databases, including the initial synchronization of data before you start replication. This is certainly...

ASE to ASE replication using SQL Remote
Since 11.9.2 comes with SQL Remote, can I use it for replication from ASE to ASE instead of a more expensive Replication Server? ...

Replicate SQL Anywhere Text column to ASE using Replication Server
Hi everyone, Is it possible replicate text column in SQL anywhere 5.5.04 using Replication Agent for SQL Anywhere and Replication Server 11.5 to Adaptive Server Enterprise? TIA Virginia yes. Replication of BLOBs works fine /steve -- Stephen Rice Manager Custom Support Sybase Canada Inc. email: srice@sybase.com virginia cheung wrote in message <01bdf3e7$6ed5c420$010414ac@star>... >Hi everyone, > >Is it possible replicate text column in SQL anywhere 5.5.04 using >Replication Agent for SQL Anywhere and Replication Server 11.5 to Adaptive >Server ...

ASE Replicator or SQL Remote
We have several 11.9.x servers running on RH Linux that we need a simple replication solution for. These severs will be upgraded to 12.5 over a year or so. Rep sever seems overkill. I have been looking at the new ASE Replicator in 12.5 and SQL Remote that was designed for 11.9.x. Here are my questions: If I set up one 12.5 db and use it as the primary database can it publish data to the 11.9.x servers? Is SQL Remote going to be a supported product or is Sybase encouraging users to move to Replicator? Does SQL Remote run on Linux? Which is eaiser, more reliable? T...

Replication Server and SQL Remote
Hi, I want to know about if anyone is working with Replication Server and DBRemote toghether. I want to use RS to replicate with connected sites (ASE Servers) and DBremote to replicate with disconnected ones (ASA Servers). According with Sybase Support I must put an intermediate ASA server with Rep Agent for ASA working as gateway between disconnected sites and the central site. We are thinking in the following products: * Central Server: ASE 11.9.2 y Replication Server (UnixWare 7.1) * Intermediate Server: ASA with a consolidated DB, and using dbremote. * Remote Sites disconn...

SQL Remote and ASE Replicator
Hello, Is it possible to use SQL Remote and ASE Replicator on the same database? SQL Remote and Replication Server for example have such capability when you use ssqueue. -- JT Both the ASE replicator and SQL Remote for ASE need to exclusively manage ASE's secondary truncation point in order to identify the oldest data page in syslogs that they need to start scanning from. There is only 1 secondary truncation point, and by the nature of it, it can not be shared between processes to identify more than one page. This is why we included the SSQueue as a solution for an ASE ...

Replication Server with SQL Remote
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub43b1c33c Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi; We are trying to configure a Replication Server Warm Standby schema. We already have an SQL Remote replication runing in this server. We try to use the SQL Remote open server, but it didn' t work, we follow all the steps in the SQL Remote - Replication Server Manual, but it don't have enought information and we think, we are missig one step. We are sending the log of our SQL remote open server. Someone kn...

ASE Replicator & SQL Remote
Hi, How do I use ASE Replicator as the consolidated and ASA 6 SQL Remote as the remote? Where can I read notes on this topic or is it same as in the previous version of ASE (using ASE SQL Remote)? Thanks. AFAIK they cannot interact. /steve -- Stephen Rice Technical Services Manager iAnywhere Solutions - Please Post- Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer <Liza_A.S> wrote in message news:ACEE1F68940329BC001A644385256C9C.001A645285256C9C@webforums... > Hi, > &g...

SQL Remote 6 cliend w SQL Remote 9 server
The documentation for ASA 9 states Software upgrades can be one site at a time Older Message Agents can exchange messages with Version 9 Message Agents as long as the COMPRESSION database option is set to a value of -1 (minus one). There is no need to upgrade software throughout the installation simultaneously. Does the COMPRESSION value need to be 1 at the consolidated only, or at the consolidated and the remotes? <Tom Iarusso> wrote: > The documentation for ASA 9 states > > Software upgrades can be one site at a time Older Message > Agents can excha...

Replication
We are going to be installing AS Enterprise in home office and AS Anywhere in the field. We would like to use an autoincrement key on some tables. Is there a good way to avoid duplicate keys. Also, are there any pitfalls to using the two different servers for replication. TIA Fred. You cannot take advantage of the special IDENTITY data type when creating a replication definition with an ASA db as the subscriber. If you try this, replication of inserts from ASE to ASA will fail, because the rep server will try to issue a "set identity_insert tablename on" comman...

can i start mobilink server when sql remote is running against a sql server
Log scan starting at offset 029754201276 E. 05/19 14:41:16. Cannot convert scanner to a unsigned int E. 05/19 14:41:16. Upload aborted at offset 0000000000 E. 05/19 14:41:16. Download aborted I get the above error when I started dbmlsync(used dbmlysnc in 8 folder) against a ASA DB(8.0.3;OS:windows 2003 server) This is also a consolidated DB that is involved in another sql replication set up. The publications currently don't have tables that step on each other. However, the plan is to do the same when I could do this successfully. I am trying to synchronize it with anothe...

Remote SQL Server error from IIS but not from local, but working with same SQL Server
 I am getting a SQLServer connection error when I try to run my application from the IIS server.  I deployed the application to the remote server using VWD Express 2005 [using the "Copy Web" feature].  I have frontpage extension turned on...which I am not sure if this is the right thing.The SQLServer is coming from the same remote site as the IIS server.   I have successfully  uploaded the databases to the SQLServer 2005  machine.   Then from my development machine I updated the web.config to point to the remote SQL Server 2005 machine a...

Web resources about - sql remote, replication server - sybase.ase.linux

DNA replication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DNA replication is a biological process that occurs in all living organisms and copies their DNA ; it is the basis for biological inheritance ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

PolSci Replication (@PolSciReplicate) on Twitter

Encryption in demand for backup and replication: Veeam
When it comes to backup and replication, Veeam has found encryption is one of the most requested feature by businesses.

John Sands Australia cuts data replication time from 14 hours to three
Corporate data replication was taking up to 14 hours to complete at greeting card company John Sands Australia until data acceleration software ...

EMC gives VMware admins the reins to replication and recovery
EMC is putting replication and recovery into the hands of VMware administrators with a software version of its RecoverPoint appliance that's ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID - SocialTimes
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

Violin to bring deduplication, replication, other tools to all-flash storage arrays
Violin Memory plans to add deduplication, thin provisioning, snapshots and other features in a software update for its all-flash storage arrays, ...

Art & Craft: The Story of an Art Forger Whose Artwork Replication Isn't Actually Illegal
Let me just start off by saying that I don't condone illegal forgery or theft—but I do think that someone who can put the art world in a tizzy ...