what happens after an error?

Can anyone tell me a general rule -- if there is one -- about whether a
procedure or trigger will continue after an error, or will halt execution
and rollback after an error?

For an example, see the following code (part of a proc):

  //situation 1
INSERT fred (non_null_int_column) VALUES (1)
  //next line will generate error 233, severity 16, and rollback
  //the previous line(s)
INSERT fred (non_null_int_column) VALUES (null)
INSERT fred (non_null_int_column) VALUES (2)
  //net result -- no records added to table

  //situation 2
SELECT @nul = null
INSERT fred (non_null_int_column) VALUES (1)
  //next line will generate error 515, severity 16, but continue
INSERT fred (non_null_int_column) VALUES (@nul)
INSERT fred (non_null_int_column) VALUES (2)
  //net result -- two records added to table

I realize technically why these two situations behave the way they do: one
is a Sequencer error and one is a Query Processor error, and they are
handled differently even though they are the same error. My question is:
how can I know what errors will allow execution to continue, and what
errors will not?

Thanks in advance
Gary B.
0
Gary_B

was this a really dumb question, or does no one know the answer?

Gary B.
0
Gary_B
2/17/2003 6:20:30 PM
Gary_B wrote...
> was this a really dumb question, or does no one know the answer?

Um, not a dumb question.  But the scenario you paint is not likely one that I would
encounter because I would be checking all the errors and handling them anyhow regardless of
the severity/error.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]

0
Jim

errors errors errors..

Error, Error and more errors

error error error

General error: I/O error
From a select statement, I get the following error... Select error: SQLSTATE = S1000 [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]General error:I/O error Fatal error: No error -- transaction rolled back. Since all I'm trying to do is a simple select, It seems like the database file is corrupt. Please advise if you have seen this error or know what is going on. The environment is ASA6.0.03 and WindowsNT4. Thank you. If you look in the window of the database server, do you see any errors? Can you execute other selects? -- Reg Domaratzki Sybase Mobile and...

Error rep1028
Hi, We have a warm stand-by environment using rep server 12.0 and ASE 12.5 64 bit version s/w. We keep getting a STOP replication action on the following database for a user table that has only 3 columns...id int, name char 41 and text column length 16. The error reads as follows: H. 2003/08/18 17:03:11. THREAD FATAL ERROR #5049 DSI EXEC(291(1) PRD2W2M12.CFG) - dsiqmint.c(2895) The DSI thread for database 'PRD2W2M12.CFG' is being shutdown. DSI recei ved data server error #21 which is mapped to STOP_REPLICATION. See logged data s erver errors for more information...

General error: unknown error -308
My customer is getting the following error on 3 of 5 workstations. Novell Network running IPX. Membership/121 -308 - S1000:[Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]General error: unknown error -308 Any Ideas? -- Elizabeth Livingston elivingston@advsol.com Turn on debugging in the client connection and see if you are getting any network errors. -308 is a connection terminated error. You can use the DBG and LOG connection parameters in your connect string, or check the "display debugging information to a file" and add a file name on the advanced tab of your ODBC...

General error: internal database error
I've got this error message while trying to create index: "General error: internal database error. Transaction rolled back." What could cause that error? What can be done in this situation? Thanks Ricardas This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------8FAF9B581B4945BDB0446FD5 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Please boot the engine by hand by going to the command prompt and doing: dbeng50.exe <path to dbfile> What error message occurs on the SQL Anywhere console? Dave Wolf Sybase Profes...

HELP: Microsoft Query "General odbc error" connecting to ASE 15.0.3
Greetings, I'm trying to connect MSQRY32 - 12.0.6532 SP2 MSO to ASE15.0.3ESD#1 (8K pages) using ODBC on XP SP3, using ASE 15.00.00.325 2008/08/14 ODBC driver The System ODBC connection was created with defaults. Checking ASE, I can see successful login connection select @@pagesize sp_odbc_server_info select db_name() sp_odbc_tables The I get an error on MSQRY32 - "General odbc error" Any idea how to fix this? Thanks in Advance. Alberto > Greetings, > > I'm trying to connect > MSQRY32 - 12.0.6532 SP2 MSO to > A...

scale error, error numbre 241 in ASE 12
Hello, I'm in ASE 12.0.3 ( HP_UX ). I use a cursor that has been created with a join between a tempoaray table and a user table. I select a numeric field into a numeric local variable ( with the same datatype) . But when i fetch the cursor the error 241 raises. Has somebody an idea of this problem ? Best regards ...

General error : internal database error ???
I have a client that is running Novell 4.1 with sqlanywhere 5.5.04; At this installation the workstations are constantly crapping out with the above mentioned error; We have tried most everything as it relates to the novell OS - even installed the latest servicepack (7); but to no avail; I am usually pretty good at solving problems but this one doesn't give me enough to go on; does anyone have a suggestion or two about what might be happening ? I have 20 other installations running novell 4.1 with no problem; tia Dennis Hank Have you tried comparing the SQLA instal...

Error error error, help me
Hello, How do I populate a drop down list in asp.net from a database? I have a block of vbscript code that does the server side coding for it. My code is as follows.. <script language="vb" runat="server"> Dim objConn As OleDbConnection = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=c:\data\employee.mdb;") Dim Sql, valEmp As String Dim objDREmp as OleDbDataReader Sub FillEmployeeName(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs) Sql = "select * from [Employee]" Dim objCommand As Ole...

error error !
Full Message: ERROR{} Additional Information: None Severity: Error Date: November 14, 2007 11:42:35 AM Acknowledged Date: None Source: /Devices/Workstations/b2305dsyldes-58 Message ID: ERROR Probable Cause URL: None Log ID: ac4f2a9dbea6435421f4d9f92db8e971 Related Objects: None What does this means ? Marc-Andre, no idea, maybe a little more background information would help? -- Shaun Pond well, nothing special to say, some DLU policy, 1 remote policy, that's about it.......... Shaun Pond wrote: > Marc-Andre, > > no idea, maybe a little m...

error after error
Hello, All I seem to be getting an error I don't quite understand. Can someone point out why I'm geeting this error? The first error states: unquoted string "subroutines" may clash with future reserved word at NPtest.pl line 6. after I quote "subroutines" I get an error that states: syntax error at NPtest.pl line 6, near "require" Execution of NPtest.pl aborted due to compilation errors. Heres the first script: #!/usr/bin/perl # NEWPACKAGE.pl package NEWPACKAGE sub printing1 {print "duh duh duh.\n&quo...

if there is some error with db should user get redirected to a general error page?
 Hi All.Lets say there is an error with inserting data to db, some server error or whatever should the user get redirected to an error page? The page i am working on is activate account so if whilst checking data with db there is a problem should the user get redirected or should the error come up on the page in question? Help please. aspd:Lets say there is an error with inserting data to db, some server error or whatever should the user get redirected to an error page?  . If some insert/ update errors happen, then it is best to provide some feedback to the user on the pag...

Web resources about - what happens after an error? - sybase.ase.general

BET Responds to Stacey Dash's Comments Saying There Should Be No More BET
Actress and Fox News contributor Stacey Dash appeared on Outnumbered to discuss recent news regarding the potential Oscars boycott. “I think ...

Hands-On With Apple's New Music Memos iOS App and GarageBand 2.1 Update
Since the launch of Apple Music and its included Apple Music Connect social platform, Apple has been focusing efforts on its music creation tools, ...

O’Reilly: Is There Anything More Loathsome Than Planned Parenthood?
Bill O’Reilly and his two henchwomen used a lawsuit against the so-called Center for Medical Progress to smear Planned Parenthood with all the ...

Star Wars Toys Brought in $700 Million in 2015
Star Wars toys were the hottest property in the toy industry last year, generating hundreds of millions of dollars of sales, according to new ...

Amid Crumbling Detroit Schools, Gov. Mike Snyder Faces Protests
Governor Mike Snyder is in even more hot water these days after photos of Detroit Public Schools have made their rounds on the Internet. The ...

Oil prices stabilize but market sentiment remains bearish
By Henning Gloystein SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Oil prices stabilized in early trading on Thursday after hitting fresh 2003 lows the session before, ...

Pakistan attack: 25 killed as Taliban militants storm Bacha Khan University
Taliban militants attacked Pakistan's Bacha Khan University in Charsadda, northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, early today. At least 25 ...

2015 was the hottest year on record
If you needed further signs that humans are likely warming the planet, you just got it. NASA and NOAA have independently determined that Earth ...

Scientists may have just found a ninth planet and it’s massive
Scientists believe they may have found a giant planet in our distant solar system, possibly the long-sought after Planet X. It is believed to ...

Nielsen will monitor Facebook to measure buzz about TV programs
Anyone who's logged onto social media during a presidential debate, big football game or TV premier knows the flurry of posts can be just as ...