Welcome to the New and Improved ASE newsgroups

Welcome to the Sybase ASE newsgroups!  We hope that you find the
forum a useful place to exchange information concerning the use of
Sybase ASE that will enable you to use it to greater potential.  To
ensure that we all receive the greatest benefit from the forum, we
have a few guidelines concerning its use:

Forum Purpose
--------------------

This forum was established by Sybase as a means of providing a
vehicle for its customers and prospects to openly and freely exchange
information and ideas.  It is neither an alternative to, nor a
replacement for a Customer Support Contract.

1.  This is NOT a Sybase technical support forum and it is not the
purpose of this forum to allow customers to get free technical support
from Sybase.  It is a place for users to help each other and exchange
problems solutions, information, ideas, etc.

2.  Sybase has no obligation to provide answers, solutions,
information, ideas, or provide anything other than a moderator to
monitor the forum and insure its operation and availability.  They do
strive, however, to do much more than that as resources permit.

3.  Sybase executives do monitor the forum to observe customer reaction
to the product, keep up with users thoughts for new features, or offer
executive opinions and viewpoints.  Sybase Technical Advisors
(TA�s) and Product Support Engineers (PSE's) also assist on the forum
when they have time available.  They will offer help but may not be
available on a regular basis based on their workload.

4.  Sybase has selected a technically astute group of users to
offer assistance to other Sybase users and to help moderate the forum.
The name of this group is TeamSybase.  If you have a problem with
the operation of the forum you may contact a member of TeamSybase
by email.  Otherwise please post all questions to the forum.  For
more information about TeamSybase go to http://www.teamsybase.com.

Guidelines
--------------

Please bear in mind that this is a moderated forum.  As a result, it
operates somewhat differently than a typical unmoderated newsgroup.

1.  If you�re using a company id, please post your name at the end of
the message so that others may know who to address when sending an
response.  We would appreciate you using your full (real) name.

2.  Please post the same question once in the forum that appears most
appropriate and allow 36-72 hours for a response.  Do not cross-post
questions.  Cross-posted questions will be removed.

3.  Advertising of any kind should be limited to the forums dedicated
to that purpose (I.e.,  news.3rd_party_products, news.job_postings,
etc.).  Spamming of the forum will not be tolerated.

4.  Profanity, obscenities, and abuse of forum members will not be
tolerated.

5.  Please refrain from sending "thanks" in the forum.  Anyone
desiring to thank the person assisting them should feel free to do so,
but we would ask that this be done via e-mail to minimize traffic and
allow members to review both problems and solutions.

6.  Please refrain from sending personal messages in the forum.  These
conversations are more properly carried on in e-mail.

7.  This forum is not particularly designed for the transfer of files.
Therefore, if you need to make files accessible to other people,
please handle it through private email or by making the file available
on an ftp site.  Extremely large messages, particularly those
containing embedded files, will be deleted without notice.

8.  Please put specifics on the message header(not "Help", "Bug", or
vague subject headers). People often only review headers for messages
they are interested in.  This is in your best interest in getting the
most out of your message posting.  Adding "Urgent" to the subject
line of your message doesn't necessarily mean much to others.  If
you have an urgent problem that is affecting your company you should
consider working the issue through Sybase Tech Support at
1-800-8-Sybase.

9.  Please do not ask more than one question per message.  If you have
five questions, please post five messages.  That way, duplication of
answers for one problem and overlooked questions will be minimized.

10. When replying, ALWAYS include part of the message in your reply.
Some of us CAN'T remember what happened five minutes ago, let alone
yesterday.

11. The forum is primarily intended to assist Sybase end-users
in obtaining the maximum benefit from the products.  It is not intended
for more general discussions, such as features of various products,
product comparisons, etc.  Please post messages of that type in more
appropriate arenas, such as a public, unmoderated newsgroup.

For additional information regarding the Sybase newsgroups please
go to http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,3693,47613,00.html
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant

Is there any plan to migrate the postings over from the
old sybase.public.sqlserver.xxx to the sybase.public.ase.xxx
counterpart so that issues can be researched in one group?

This would be helpful because there are at least 2 years of
ase issues posted in sqlserver groups

There is also a 5 plus year collection of wit and humour that
we would all be heart broken to lose.

A message could be posted in the sybase.public.sqlserver.xxx
directing the user to it's sybase.public.ase.xxx counterpart.

"Jim Egan" <dbaguru@eganomics.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> consider working the issue through Sybase Tech Support at
> 1-800-8-Sybase.
>
> 9.  Please do not ask more than one question per message.  If you have
> five questions, please post five messages.  That way, duplication of
> answers for one problem and overlooked questions will be minimized.
>
> 10. When replying, ALWAYS include part of the message in your reply.
> Some of us CAN'T remember what happened five minutes ago, let alone
> yesterday.
>
> 11. The forum is primarily intended to assist Sybase end-users
> in obtaining the maximum benefit from the products.  It is not intended
> for more general discussions, such as features of various products,
> product comparisons, etc.  Please post messages of that type in more
> appropriate arenas, such as a public, unmoderated newsgroup.
>
> For additional information regarding the Sybase newsgroups please

Cliff
5/30/2001 1:37:41 PM
Creating a new and improved news group is fine, but I rely upon the
lengthy, historical topic list for research into questions and issues. How
can I access the prior contents of this group?
0
Kevin_P
5/31/2001 5:32:30 PM
Kevin_P._McGinn wrote...
> Creating a new and improved news group is fine, but I rely upon the
> lengthy, historical topic list for research into questions and issues. How
> can I access the prior contents of this group?

The old newsgroups will remain, but will be changed to read-only.  Also, the Google Groups
web page is a great way to search the newsgroups.  The Sybase website also has advanced
search setup against the newsgroup.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant
Sybase Professional Services

Sybase TechWave 2001 http://www.sybase.com/events/techwave2001
August 12th - 16th, San Diego
0
Jim
6/1/2001 3:54:59 AM
Jim,

Will the Sybase website search both the old and the new newsgroups?

Jim Egan wrote:

> Kevin_P._McGinn wrote...
> > Creating a new and improved news group is fine, but I rely upon the
> > lengthy, historical topic list for research into questions and issues. How
> > can I access the prior contents of this group?
> >
> The old newsgroups will remain, but will be changed to read-only.  Also, the Google Groups
> web page is a great way to search the newsgroups.  The Sybase website also has advanced
> search setup against the newsgroup.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
> Senior Consultant
> Sybase Professional Services
>
> Sybase TechWave 2001 http://www.sybase.com/events/techwave2001
> August 12th - 16th, San Diego

0
stharrell
6/4/2001 3:20:15 PM
stharrell@yahoo.com wrote...
> Jim,
>
> Will the Sybase website search both the old and the new newsgroups?

It should.  The new newsgroups may not be configured in the search yet.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant
Sybase Professional Services

Sybase TechWave 2001 http://www.sybase.com/events/techwave2001
August 12th - 16th, San Diego
0
Jim

ASE and ASE

ASE to ASE

ASA To ASE - VS

Adding ASE to existing ASE-to-ASE Installation
I am using all ASE's in my SQLRemote setup. My current installation consists of a Consolidated ASE & 2 Remote ASE's. My attempt to add another Remote ASE to the existing installation consists of these steps: - Install the sqlremote system objects in the new Remote - Install the stable queues in the new Remote - Manually extract a bcp file of the shared table from the Cons server - Configure the Cons server for another subscriber - Configure the new Remote's shared table, publications, & subscriptions. - Manually b...

New ASE Newsgroup for High Availability Option
A new newsgroup has been established on the Sybase news server for the discussion of the ASE High Availability option. The name of the newsgroup is sybase.public.ase.high_availability. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Senior Consultant Sybase Professional Services ...

Welcome to the ASE Product Futures Discussion newsgroup
Welcome to the Sybase ASE Product Futures Discussion newsgroups! We hope that you find the forum a useful place to exchange information concerning the features you would like to see implemented in Sybase ASE in future versions. To ensure that we all receive the greatest benefit from the forum, we have a few guidelines concerning its use: Forum Purpose -------------------- This forum was established by Sybase as a means of providing a vehicle for its customers and prospects to openly and freely exchange information and ideas. It is neither an alternative to, nor a replace...

SQL Remote ASE
hi did anybody know when SQL Remote support blob (image, text) replicacion for ASE - ASE? our company need this feature. joan caceres electro sur este s.a.a. Hello Joan, Support for image and text replication with SQL Remote went in as of ASA 6 mainline, 6.0.01.1256, and SA maintenance 5.5.04 build 1938. Regards, Bob Bauer Sybase Technical Support jmcd wrote: > hi > > did anybody know when SQL Remote support blob (image, text) replicacion for > ASE - ASE? > > our company need this feature. > > joan caceres > electro sur este ...

New to ASE
I'm new to ASE, Can anyone recommend any reading materials other than what I find in the excellent manuals published online? Joseph Henry wrote: > I'm new to ASE, > Can anyone recommend any reading materials other than what I find in the > excellent manuals published online? See http://www.sypron.nl/sybbooks.html Niksa Jurinovic niksa@jurinovic.de "Niksa Jurinovic" <niksa@jurinovic.de> wrote in message news:47792dea@forums-1-dub... > Joseph Henry wrote: > >> I'm new to ASE, >> Can anyone recommend any r...

ASE workgroup
hi, what the diference between ASE workgroup and ASE Enterprise, to which systems apply workgroup or enterprise. is an AlphaServer 4000 (DIGITAL SERVER 7305) workgroup and unix and ASE 12.0 will be avaliable for true unix (DEC UNIX). thanks in advance ...

Solaris ASE to Linux ASE
We are looking into using Replication Server to Set up Warm Standby of Production ASE databases - Primary site being on Solaris platform - Standby Copy on Linux. Does any utilize this configuration ? What is the best way to initialize data on the Standby Server ? What other issues should I be concerned with ? Hi, Technically you can setup Warm Standby across platforms. It may work well too with Replication Server. However, you cannot dump and load the databases (cross platform dump and load not supported), hence there will be issues when you need to resync your databases. Eac...

sql-remote between ASE and ASE
hello! sql-remote document don't give us help with replication with ASE and ASE. i need detail how to do it. i use ASE12 + NT4.0 + SQL Remote6.0.2 . i test it in the list 1�� define messagetype : smtp 2�� define use_name :one is publisher,the other is remote user_name 3�� define publisher,publication,subscription 4��execute ssremote.exe to receive or send message I failed at the step of extract database .i don't extract the database . please help me ,tell me the datail of sql-remote confige. Thanks a lot , ...

Replication between ASE and ASE URGENT
HI everybody Can you help me please with the following question. We need to syncronize ASE to ASE ( bidirectional) Initially, it was planned to implement with SQL remote, but it isn't available. With replication server, it isn't a solution beacuse, the customer doesn=B4t have a comunntication channel all time. We think use Mobiliink Server to replictase ASE to ASE, but using an ASA in the middle, so that, first it replicate ASE to ASA, and later, ASA to ASE, is it this feasible ??? Thanks four your answer "Marco" <mbarrion@uniplex.com.ec> wr...

sql remote ase to ase
can I use sql remote ro replicate data form ase to ase or only from asa to ase and asa to asa ? I would also recommend that you read over the following tech doc; Implementing ASE to ASE Server SQL Remote Replication http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1009730 Ian Bater iAnywhere Solutions Reg Domaratzki wrote: > Just be aware of the limitations pointed out in the documentation when using ASE as a remote database. > > Replication and Synchronization Guide > PART 4. Appendixes > APPENDIX A. Enterprise and Anywhere: Differences > > Limitations ...

Web resources about - Welcome to the New and Improved ASE newsgroups - sybase.ase.general

Netscape Mail & Newsgroups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Netscape Mail and Newsgroups , commonly known as just Netscape Mail , was an email and news client produced by Netscape Communications Corporation ...

Chinese newsgroup accused of extorting companies for coverage
Chinese newsgroup accused of extorting companies for coverage People's Daily Online Eight people from 21cbh.com, including the editor-in-chief, ...

NY attorney general gets more ISPs to block alt.* newsgroups
New York's Attorney General has turned his initial efforts against online …

ISPs agree to block access to child porn sites, newsgroups
Verizon, Sprint, and Time Warner Cable agree to block Internet newsgroups and Web sites nationwide that disseminate child pornography, according ...

Microsoft Plans Newsgroups Shutdown
Microsoft plans to close the more than 2,000 public newsgroups and 2,200 private newsgroups devoted to its various products and services. Discussions ...

NBCUniversal Newsgroup jobs - mediabistro.com
Jobs and recruiting for social media and traditional media professionals covering journalism, social media marketing, social games, web development, ...

Google Acquires Deja Newsgroup Service - Search Engine Watch (#SEW)
Google purchased the Deja newsgroup archives last month and is now running them within its own site. Despite saving the service, Google came ...

Best and latest newsgroup - Page 2 of 5 info
... Subscribers Breaking RapidShare Stops Washington Lobbying Efforts and Regains Pirate Stamp On: 21/02/2014 Comments: 48 All Results For: newsgroup ...

More ISPs Decide to Filter Usenet Newsgroups
... in pressuring AOL and AT&T to join the ranks of Verizon, Sprint, and Time Warner Cable in limiting access to many or all of the Usenet newsgroups ...

AOL ditches newsgroups
Lack of use Win a Samsung 40-inch LED HDTV with The Reg and HP! AOL is pulling the plug on servers hosting newsgroups. AOL subscribers will ...