Newsgroup Rules Reminder

Please do not cross-post messages.  Cross-posting can be done in one of two ways:
1. Construct a single posting but select multiple newsgroups to post it to.
2. Construct multiple postings and send each one to a different newsgroup.

The main reason we ask that you refrain from doing this is that it often wastes the time of
those that are answering questions.  If I answer your question in one newsgroup it may not
get posted to the other newsgroups (some news readers will respond to only one newsgroup).
So then if another person also answers the question in another newsgroup they have wasted
their time.

Cross-posted messages are removed from the news server and the originator is sent an email
asking them to repost in a single newsgroup.  If there is no email address associated with
the posting then I cannot provide you with an alert that your message no longer exists.
One more reason to use a valid email address.  FWIW, the email address I post with each
message is valid and I receive very little spam.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase] (newsgroup moderator)
Senior Consultant

Sybase TechWave 2001 http://www.sybase.com/events/techwave2001
August 12th - 16th, San Diego
0
Jim

Hi Jim,

Before I begin, let me make it clear that I support 100% the "no
cross-post" policy.  It saves bandwidth and time.

There are, however, situations in which this restriction should be relaxed
somewhat.  For example, if I have questions about a PowerBuilder
application which talks to a Sybase ASE and I am not sure which, PB or ASE,
is the source of the problem, then I think posting to both the PB and ASE
group should be OK.

Sometime people cross-post because they feel that if their questions do not
get answered in one group, they may have better luck in another group,
afterall,  not everyone subscribes to every newsgroup.

Also,  it is not uncommon for a newsgroup to be temporarily unavailable.
Just yesterday, the web-browser version of this very group
(sybase.public.ase.linux) was down due to "insufficient disk space" (this
is the error I got). Similar incidents happen to other newsgroups as well.

-dave

0
Dave
7/13/2001 10:08:29 AM
Dave wrote...
> Hi Jim,
>
> Before I begin, let me make it clear that I support 100% the "no
> cross-post" policy.  It saves bandwidth and time.
>
> There are, however, situations in which this restriction should be relaxed
> somewhat.  For example, if I have questions about a PowerBuilder
> application which talks to a Sybase ASE and I am not sure which, PB or ASE,
> is the source of the problem, then I think posting to both the PB and ASE
> group should be OK.

What we have asked in the past is that you post your question in one newsgroup.  If you do
not get a response in a _reasonable_ amount of time then you can re-post in a different
newsgroup.

--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant
Sybase Professional Services

Sybase TechWave 2001 http://www.sybase.com/events/techwave2001
August 12th - 16th, San Diego
0
Jim

Ongoing problem with newsgroups (specifically the General Newsgroup)
Can anyone using a newsreader (I cannot it is against company policy) see messages in this group over 3 days old, or any responses for the last few days? I am answering questions, but I am unsure if anyone can see the answers anywhere, because the last few days of posts (threads beneth topics) all seem to be missing other than ones I answered today. Thanks - Joe Slawsky (NOSPAMFORME_jslawsky@planetdx.com) www.planetdx.com Home of PB Link - The FREE PowerBuilder to Palm Interface Newsreader shows everything. It's just the WebForums (I have a feeling that this is p...

Newsgroup Reminder
As I understand this is a group for the discussion of spam not a support group for those who have yet to grow out of client side applications like "K9" (which I've never heard of but assume Steve has something to do with). Perhaps K9 is deserving of it's own group, perhaps not. Maybe this group should be renamed the K9 group. In any case there are certainly more relevant things happening in anti-spam technology than K9... Brett On or about 14/01/04 08:50, Brett Schulte wrote: > As I understand this is a group for the discussion of spam not a support >...

Newsgroups general
There is probably somewhere better to send this, but I can' t find it at present. Now I have found the new newsgroups they seem very good, partly helped by the fact that I now have broadband. We don't have to remember to press enter on every line. But I can't find how to print an individual reply. I am surprised there isn't a button just for that. George George Probyn <> wrote: >Now I have found the new newsgroups they seem very good, partly helped by the fact that I now have broadband. We don't have to remember to press enter on every line. But I can'...

ASE to ASE

Newsgroup rules
From my other post I decided to go with the Dialog newsreader. Now my question is does anyone was to post their interesting rules for scoring? I already have a few in mind like '=+500 From "Steve Gibson"' but do you guys have any other rules I should use? -- Scott Chamberlain --- Url guvf vf pbby, Qvnybt unf n ebg13 pbairegre. Scott Chamberlain wrote: > From my other post I decided to go with the Dialog newsreader. Now my > question is does anyone was to post their interesting rules for scoring? I > already have a few in mind like '=+500 From "S...

ASE and ASE

What generals generally do

ASA To ASE - VS

sqlserver.general newsgroup
Hi : I am not able to read any messages from this newsgroup. Can anyone tell me what could be the reason? The message I am getting is: "Press <Space> to display the selected message. You can also choose to automatically show messages in the preview pane from the Options command." I am not also able to see the question I posted and the answers. Thanks, Arthi. Arthi Jayasundar wrote: > > Hi : > > I am not able to read any messages from this newsgroup. Can anyone tell me > what could be the reason? > The message I am getting is:...

generally question to this newsgroup
hello I am somewhat confused to use this newsgroup "sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general", because i have two different entry-lists. There is a difference between my newsreader (WinMail) and the subscription in the google-groups - to the same newsgroup "sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general". How can that be? regards Michael Google groups is a little inconsistent in scraping the Sybase forums. -chris M.Erlinger wrote: > hello > I am somewhat confused to use this newsgroup > "sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general", because i have two d...

Newsgroup Rules To Live By
Here are some Rules To Live By by when posting messages in this newsgroup: 1. TANSTAASQ... There Ain't No Such Thing As A Stupid Question. Personally, I like simple questions, they give me a sense of accomplishment when I can answer them. Nobody should ever put you down for the quality of the questions you ask... if they do, send me an email: bcarter@bcarter.com 2. Some people practice Cyberspace Triage: there's too much to read so they make snap decisions about what to skip. These busy people are sometimes the ones you WANT to read your questions, so govern yourself ac...

General rule for spacerestriction.
Hi Is it possible to setup a general rule for spacerestriktion on a volume for all users in a OU and beneath? I want to setup a volume that all the users in the tree can access and stor files on, but for that to work I need to restrict the space used by the users, but I don't like the idea of going through all the users and setting up restrictions for all of them. Any ideas are welcome? TIA. /Jonas Jonas wrote: > Is it possible to setup a general rule for spacerestriktion on a > volume for all users in a OU and beneath? No. However if you find it too much...

Adding ASE to existing ASE-to-ASE Installation
I am using all ASE's in my SQLRemote setup. My current installation consists of a Consolidated ASE & 2 Remote ASE's. My attempt to add another Remote ASE to the existing installation consists of these steps: - Install the sqlremote system objects in the new Remote - Install the stable queues in the new Remote - Manually extract a bcp file of the shared table from the Cons server - Configure the Cons server for another subscriber - Configure the new Remote's shared table, publications, & subscriptions. - Manually b...

ASE Product Future and this newsgroup
While I was attending the annual TeamSybase meeting I asked a few questions about how the ASE enhancements process works. To my joy and surprise, I am pleased to tell you that this IS a forum which is closely watched and considered when planning for future enhancements to the ASE product. Although it's not the only forum closely watched by Sybase engineering, it is "on the radar". I'm not sure of what the perception of this newsgroup has been in the past, but let me make it clear that our contributions here are being noticed, and they do make a difference. Than...

Web resources about - Newsgroup Rules Reminder - sybase.ase.general

Netscape Mail & Newsgroups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Netscape Mail and Newsgroups , commonly known as just Netscape Mail , was an email and news client produced by Netscape Communications Corporation ...

Chinese newsgroup accused of extorting companies for coverage
Chinese newsgroup accused of extorting companies for coverage People's Daily Online Eight people from 21cbh.com, including the editor-in-chief, ...

NY attorney general gets more ISPs to block alt.* newsgroups
New York's Attorney General has turned his initial efforts against online …

ISPs agree to block access to child porn sites, newsgroups
Verizon, Sprint, and Time Warner Cable agree to block Internet newsgroups and Web sites nationwide that disseminate child pornography, according ...

Microsoft Plans Newsgroups Shutdown
Microsoft plans to close the more than 2,000 public newsgroups and 2,200 private newsgroups devoted to its various products and services. Discussions ...

NBCUniversal Newsgroup jobs - mediabistro.com
Jobs and recruiting for social media and traditional media professionals covering journalism, social media marketing, social games, web development, ...

Google Acquires Deja Newsgroup Service - Search Engine Watch (#SEW)
Google purchased the Deja newsgroup archives last month and is now running them within its own site. Despite saving the service, Google came ...

Best and latest newsgroup - Page 2 of 5 info
... Subscribers Breaking RapidShare Stops Washington Lobbying Efforts and Regains Pirate Stamp On: 21/02/2014 Comments: 48 All Results For: newsgroup ...

More ISPs Decide to Filter Usenet Newsgroups
... in pressuring AOL and AT&T to join the ranks of Verizon, Sprint, and Time Warner Cable in limiting access to many or all of the Usenet newsgroups ...

AOL ditches newsgroups
Lack of use Win a Samsung 40-inch LED HDTV with The Reg and HP! AOL is pulling the plug on servers hosting newsgroups. AOL subscribers will ...