Help setting backup server on Linux: Can't open a connection to site 'SYB_BACKUP'. See the error log file in the SQL

Greetings,

I'm very new to Sybase and i'm trying to backup up all our development
databases using a remote server; The development Sybase server doesn't
contain enougf free space to dump all the databases so i want to use a
remote Backup server onto another Linux machine.

I tried to run a simple dump of an small databse to a disk file but got
this weird error:

bash-2.05$ isql -Dmaster -Usa -SSYLNXDEV2
Password:
1> dump database NewBreak to "/opt/sybase-11.9.2/testdump.dmp"
2> go
Msg 7205, Level 17, State 2:
Server 'SYLNXDEV2', Line 1:
Can't open a connection to site 'SYB_BACKUP'.  See the error log file in
the SQL
Server boot directory.
Msg 7205, Level 18, State 3:
Server 'SYLNXDEV2', Line 1:
Can't open a connection to site 'SYB_BACKUP'.  See the error log file in
the SQL
Server boot directory.
1> select srvname from sysservers
2> go
  srvname
  ------------------------------
  SYB_BACKUP
  SYLNXDEV2
  SYLNXDEV2_XP
  local

(4 rows affected)

The development Sybase server was configured by someone else, so i don't
know even if this server is running as backup server. Also i want to
backup against a remote linux server, not to the same linux box.

We are using Sybase 11.9 on Redhat 6.2 / 7.2.

Thanks in advance,

JV.

0
Jose
12/18/2001 9:45:04 PM
sybase.ase.backup+recovery 1120 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You need a local backup server and it must run. This is your SYB_BACKUP. If
you made a simple installation, you probably set it up already, but it is
not running at the moment.

Also, don't forget to add the remote backup server in the interfaces file.
0
huib_vd_bolt
12/19/2001 8:05:24 AM
josevnz@newbreak.com wrote...
> Greetings,
>
> I'm very new to Sybase and i'm trying to backup up all our development
> databases using a remote server; The development Sybase server doesn't
> contain enougf free space to dump all the databases so i want to use a
> remote Backup server onto another Linux machine.

Why don't you backup to tape?
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant

Web resources about - Help setting backup server on Linux: Can't open a connection to site 'SYB_BACKUP'. See the error log file in the SQL - sybase.ase.backup+recovery