Upgrade 11.5 to 11.9

Hi,

We've just upgraded our 11.5 servers to 11.9 and all seemed to go OK. We've
found afterwards, however that transactions on some of the databases would
apparently hang and eventually fill up the transaction logs. I've tried
dropping and recreating the indexes and triggers but this does not fix the
problem. The steps involved in the upgrade were to create the new server,
devices and databases and then load from dumps of the old version.

Can you suggest any reason why this would happen, as at present we have had
to restore to version 11.5

Thanks
Alan
0
Alan

The most obvious reason is that after the upgrade different query plans are
being generated. If some of them are particularly dodgy and result in
substantially increased execution time then transactions may be lasting
much longer than before and as a result the transaction log can't be
emptied as quickly as before the upgrade. The log can only be dumped up to
point of the first uncompleted transaction, even completed transactions
that have occurred after a long running uncompleted transaction started
cannot be dumped, so all it takes is one long running transaction to
prevent the log from being dumped.

This situation generally occurs because some part of the optimiser's
internals or statistics storage may have changed in the new version and
query plans are being evaluated slightly differently. However, a dodgy
query plan is still almost always the result of a sub-optimally written
query in the first place so you need to track these down and make
appropiate changes.
To do this, upgrade in a development environment and use the sp_showplan
procedure to extract the query plans causing the problems. Analyse these
and see if the queries/procedures can be changed to prevent the dodgy
plans.
0
JW
11/1/2001 3:11:36 PM
Thanks for that, BUT we first noticed this from using one of our
applications. I thought something particularly complex may be happening, so
I tries a simple single row insert into the suspect table, and we still had
the hanging then filling of the transaction logs. Could the query plan
theory still apply this being the case.

Thanks
Alan
0
Alan
11/1/2001 4:19:10 PM
If a simple straight insert through isql (or similar) is 'hanging' then the
query plan problem may still be the case but with the dodgy plans being
generated by your triggers.
If there are no triggers involved then I'm stumped.

0
JW

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to ASE 11.9.2 with RepServer 11.5 and LTMs
I am preparing to upgrade our production servers (11.0.3.3) using RepServer 11.5 with LTMs. My understanding is that the ASE 11.9.2 has RepAgents build in as Open Server applications. Are there any issues with upgrading that I need to be aware of? Where would I look? I would assume that I don't need to run LTMs anymore, but I need to ensure no loss of replication to the warm standby. Any advice? Take care. JCS ASE 11.5+ has RepAgent built in as internal server threads (which has nothing to do with OpenServer). When upgrading, keep the LTM's and upgrade to RS 11.5 / ...

Upgrading ASE 11.5(repsrv 11.5.1) to 11.92 on solaris
Hi Sybase Rep Guru's, I want to upgrade my Sybase ASE from 11.5on Sub Solaris 2.6/2.7 to 11.9.2 for bettar performace and stablitiy. We are Replicating our database to a reporting server. When I upgrade My ASE to 11.9.2 will there be any problems with the rep server being 11.5.1 are there any known problems or incompatibilities. Please Help Me Thanks in Advance Balaji ...

Upgrading ASE for NT 11.5 to 11.5.1 and OpenClient upgrades
Hello, First, how do I get the upgrade kit to upgrade ASE for NT from 11.5 to 11.5.1? Second, does the above upgrade kit also upgrade the OpenClient libraries? I found the "EBF" files on the Sybase web site. Specifically, EBF7786.zip, which has lots of fixes for OpenClient & OpenServer 11.1.1. And EBF8015.zip, which has fixes for ASE 11.5.0. I tried applying EBF8015.zip, but when I tried to starting the server, I got the following error: The procedure entry point uniconv_unistreamToS could not be located in the dynamic link library libunic.dll. Fortunatel...

Upgrade of ASE from 11.5.1 to 11.9.2
We have replication running against 50 SQL Anywhere v 5.4 sites. It has been running for approx 1 1/2 years. We are upgrading our ASE (the consolidated db) from 11.5.1 to 11.9.2. Has anyone experienced any problems when upgrading the consolidated db with ongoing replication? Shouldn't be an issue. We created some tech docs on Upgrading ASE's that are involved with SQL Remote. I highly suggest you look for those to follow. You don't want to make any mistakes. Let us know if you can't find one that seems appropriate. -- David Fishburn Sybase - iAnywhere Sol...

Problems in upgrading ASE 11.5 to 11.9.2
Currently, we use ASE 11.5 and then install 11.9.2 to upgrade the server. After installing all components of ASE, I can't open the databases in Sybase Central, it prompts : "Changed database context to 'master'. Invalid system table given for status update, this is an internal error" And then we tried to upgrade the server by selecting the option of server configure. In the upgrade progress, it asks whether to back up the database or not, we select Ok to continue. After a moment, it prompts: "Server "OPR" fail preupgrade eligibility tes. See ...

Upgrade from ASE 11.5.1 to 11.9.2 on NT
Are there any pitfalls, quirks or bugs in the upgrade process from ASE 11.5.1 to 11.9.2 on NT besides the ones listed in the Release bulletins & sybase doc books? The application that I am currently supporting is not certified for ASE 12.0 & won't be for a while. They just certified their app to run on 11.9.2 November 2000. Any help would be appreciated. Brenda Smith wrote: > > Are there any pitfalls, quirks or bugs in the upgrade process from > ASE 11.5.1 to 11.9.2 on NT besides the ones listed in the Release > bulletins & sybase doc books? The app...

replicate ASE 11.0.3 via R.S. 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2
Has any one successfully replicated from 11.0.3 using Rep Server 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2 using ltm's? We are running on solaris 2.6 using veritas filesystem and keep getting stack traces (this shuts down the connection). I would like to know if anyone else has replicated using these versions or something similar. Thanks. kboniface@worldres.com Yes, I have done this. No specific problems. HTH, Rob -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Rob Verschoor Certified Sybase ASE 11.5 Administrator (Professional) Certified DBA/Performance...

Upgrading ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5 on Solaris 5.6
Does anyone have problems upgrading ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.0 on Solaris 5.6. I know that are issues with upgrading on Solaris 2.5, but what about Solaris 5.6? Thanks, Hang ...

ASE 11.5.0 Upgrade to 11.5.1
This seems to be missing! Can anyone help me? There doesn't seem to be an update available from the Sybase web site. I only see the following ebf's: EBF 7830 - Updates from 11.5 to 11.5.0 EBF 8308 - Updates 11.5.1 only EBF 8511 - Updates 11.5.1 to 11.5.1.1 Seems to be missing an EBF to upgrade from 11.5.0 to 11.5.1? Can anyone help on this problem! TIA This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format. --------------ms28C06C4B59410586464C30D5 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="------------D7FD71AC228D514D4F773079" This is a multi-part mess...

rep solaris ase 11.5.1 to nt ase 11.5/11.51
Help! I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase 11.5 or 11.5.1 on nt on intel. Could you answer the following: 1) To move the initial data I would like to load the dump data from the Solaris server to Windows nt server. Can this be done? 2) Do my device definitions on the Nt side need to duplicate those on the Solaris side. 3) The repserver is on Solaris as well. I only have 11.5 on nt can get ase 11.5.1 on nt. Is this an issue. Do I need repserver on nt? Any known traps? george wrote: > Help! > > I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase...

Server instability, phantom processes following ASE 11.5.1 -> 11.9.2 upgrade.
I recently upgraded one of our servers from 11.5.1 to 11.9.2. Since the upgrade we've seen the server crash almost daily. We've seen locking issues in which the blocking process either is phantom ( does not exist ) or refuses to die. The only solution has been to cycle the dataserver. Has anyone experienced similar problems with an upgrade, or do you know if 11.9.2 is more susceptable to locking issues? I should add the at the time of upgrade, we also mirrored all data and log devices. I can't figure as to how this would cause such instability, but I'm nonet...

RFI
Hi, Is it worth going to 11.5.1 considering 11.9.2 is out? I'm looking for information about upgrading 11.0.3 to 11.5.1 or 11.9.2 on HP-UX. Looking for advice, tips & tricks, pitfalls, etc I'm also interested in other peoples exeriances with 11.5.1 and 11.9.2 with regaurds to performance, stability, bugs & problems. thanks in advance Andrew. -- The views expressed are those of the author, not necessarily of Innovus Limited. Andrew, When I took the "Powering-up for ASE 11.5" class from Syba...

ASE 12 running with ASE 11.9.2 and RS 11.5
Hi, I have a customer that asks the following question: "Are there any issues running Sybase 32 and 64 bit applications on the same box? What about replication? Is it possible for us to upgrade to 12 repserver and dataserver on our central complex and continue to run 11.5 repserver/11.9.2 dataserver at remotes?" I would think that this configuration would be ok, but I thought I'd better verify it. Thanks, Pat Proft Alliance Support Pat Proft wrote: > Hi, > I have a customer that asks the following question:...

Transferring database ASE 11.9.2 -> ASE 11.5
Hello, I need to transfer a database from a ASE 11.9.2 server to a ASE 11.5 server. (Servers have the same specs and run Windows NT 4.0). The database doesn't have many objects such as tables, users, Views, SP's etc. etc. It has a 400 MB device for data and 100 MB Device for the log, with standard segmentation. It's relatively small. I understand from this newsgroup that dumping on a newer release and loading on an older release is not an option. Now I figure I have to do the following: - Create a data and a log device with similar names and sizes on the ASE 11.5 se...

Web resources about - Upgrade 11.5 to 11.9 - sybase.ase.administration

Windows Anytime Upgrade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU) was an upgrade method offered by Microsoft and selected licensed resellers to users who intended to upgrade their ...

President Obama's Facebook Page Upgrades To Timeline
Yes, we can upgrade to timeline. U.S. President Barack Obama's Facebook page has the new layout.

Four Reasons to Upgrade to the New Share Dialog for iOS
... as friend tagging and privacy controls. 2. A faster and more native sharing experience Pinterest and popular iOS game 4 Pics 1 Word upgraded ...

More Streams: Facebook to Upgrade App Directory, App About Pages Soon
Over 50,000 applications have been added to the Facebook application directory since it first launched two years ago, and Facebook says it’s ...

Search Twitter - upgrade
... here Search Refresh Laura Tobin @ Lauratobin1 2m The only way to get through today is chocolate, I'm going to start small with baby & upgrade ...

Brain Upgrade - Improve Concentration and Relieve Stress! on the App Store on iTunes
Get Brain Upgrade - Improve Concentration and Relieve Stress! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

upgrade - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... Flickr. We noticed that you may be using an unsupported browser. All the basics will still work, but to get the most out of Flickr please upgrade ...

ModBook Upgrade by TechRestore - YouTube
http://www.techrestore.com/ - TechRestore Video - Here is the world's first Modbook upgrade video - TechRestore stop-motion style, of course! ...