Index size (ASE 11.5)

Hi,
    we are using ASE 11.5 and our indexes are taking too much space on the
disk. For example in one database data occupy 100MB and indexes 160MB. Even
if we drop all the indexes their space remains allocated and we are not able
to shrink it. Is there any way how to do it?

Best regards
Roman Sladek

0
Roman

Roman Sladek wrote:

> Hi,
>     we are using ASE 11.5 and our indexes are taking too much space on the
> disk. For example in one database data occupy 100MB and indexes 160MB. Even
> if we drop all the indexes their space remains allocated and we are not able
> to shrink it. Is there any way how to do it?

Does the table have any TEXT/IMAGE columns on it?  TEXT and IMAGE data
are
stored in a seperate page chain that can appear to be an index, it shows
up as a row in sysindexes with indid = 255.  Use the optional print
format paramter
to sp_spaceused ("sp_spaceused mytable, 1" instead of just "sp_spaceused
mytable")
to break out reporting of space by index.  The TEXT/IMAGE chain will
have a name
that is "t" + the table name.

-bret
0
Bret
7/4/2002 6:28:09 PM
Thanx,

    that's it. We have growing table sr_transaction (used by replication)
which has TEXT/IMAGE columns.

Best regards
Roman Sladek
"Bret Halford" <bret@sybase.com> wrote in message

> Roman Sladek wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >     we are using ASE 11.5 and our indexes are taking too much space on
the
> > disk. For example in one database data occupy 100MB and indexes 160MB.
Even
> > if we drop all the indexes their space remains allocated and we are not
able
> > to shrink it. Is there any way how to do it?
>
> Does the table have any TEXT/IMAGE columns on it?  TEXT and IMAGE data
> are
> stored in a seperate page chain that can appear to be an index, it shows
> up as a row in sysindexes with indid = 255.  Use the optional print
> format paramter
> to sp_spaceused ("sp_spaceused mytable, 1" instead of just "sp_spaceused
> mytable")
> to break out reporting of space by index.  The TEXT/IMAGE chain will
> have a name
> that is "t" + the table name.
>
> -bret

0
Roman

rep solaris ase 11.5.1 to nt ase 11.5/11.51
Help! I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase 11.5 or 11.5.1 on nt on intel. Could you answer the following: 1) To move the initial data I would like to load the dump data from the Solaris server to Windows nt server. Can this be done? 2) Do my device definitions on the Nt side need to duplicate those on the Solaris side. 3) The repserver is on Solaris as well. I only have 11.5 on nt can get ase 11.5.1 on nt. Is this an issue. Do I need repserver on nt? Any known traps? george wrote: > Help! > > I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase...

Migration from ASE 11.5 NCR to ASE 11.5 SUN
Hi everybody. I have a question about the migration from ASE 11.5 on NCR to ASE 11.5 on SUN Solaris 2.6. My question is, how can I do the data migration without the use of bcps and DBArtisan? Exists another tool that leave me migrate the data more easy? Thanks, mpacheco@banrural.com.gt wrote... > Hi everybody. > > I have a question about the migration from ASE 11.5 on NCR to ASE 11.5 on > SUN Solaris 2.6. > > My question is, how can I do the data migration without the use of bcps and > DBArtisan? Exists another tool that leave me migrate the data ...

Dump from NT ASE 11.5 to NT ASE 11.5.1
I am having trouble dumping a 11.5 ASE database to a 11.5.1 backupserver. I have the remote backupserver listed in the 11.5 remote servers list. It works going from the 11.5.1 machine to the 11.5 machine. Is there a compatibility issue? Thank you for your time. Dax daj@abmdata.com What do you mean by 'having trouble'? Are you getting error messages? If so, what error messages? Any error messages in the backupserver errorlog? Is the dump command hanging? not completing? What is the actual dump command that you're using? Does the target tape/director...

Migration from ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5
Hello I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point me to some documentation on the subject? I am particularly interested in documents that explain the best way to migrate database objects (tables, indexes, etc...) and data. Thanks in advance. Jorge Vergara Sispro S.A. Canoas - RS - Brasil jlvergara@sispro.com.br wrote... > Hello > > I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point > me to some documentation on the subject? > I am particularly interested in documents that explain the b...

ASE 11.5 on same server as ASE 12.5?
Anyone have 11.5 running on same server as 12.5 on NT? Would not be concerned to do this in Solaris as I am on an NT 4.0 Box sp6. Any known gotchas or issues? Going to take toni's advise in earlier posting on doing the 11.5 install as a seperate user on the server already running 12.5 just fine. Hope this wilkl take care of env vars??? We have one app that the company who developed it will no longer support us on newer versions of Sybase as a result this one crucial app must stay up and running on 11.5 while we allow the rest of our company to progress forward to 12.5 an...

ASE Migration From ASE 11.5.1 (NT) to ASE 12.9 on Win2003.
Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on above subject? Thank you. ASE 12.9? Currently, no released versions of ASE are certified on Win 2003. ASE 12.5.1 will be certified when it is released later this year. Mark Kusma <Lily Maria> wrote in message news:3f497cad.367e.846930886@sybase.com... > Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on > above subject? > Thank you. Thanks for the info. I would like to know if there's any online documentation on migration and upgrade plan of the ASE 11.5.1 to ASE 12.5.1? Do applica...

replicate ASE 11.0.3 via R.S. 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2
Has any one successfully replicated from 11.0.3 using Rep Server 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2 using ltm's? We are running on solaris 2.6 using veritas filesystem and keep getting stack traces (this shuts down the connection). I would like to know if anyone else has replicated using these versions or something similar. Thanks. kboniface@worldres.com Yes, I have done this. No specific problems. HTH, Rob -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Rob Verschoor Certified Sybase ASE 11.5 Administrator (Professional) Certified DBA/Performance...

Performance issues after upgrate ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5
Hi How can we improve performance? We're moving a database that was operating fairly well on a HP-UX 10.20 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits) to a HP-UX 11.0 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 12.5 (32 bits) Our problem is the slower performance of the database on the new, more powerful and faster machine with newer software (in both operative system and sybase version) We've noted that it starts really fast but slows down gradually. We�ve tried many ways to improve the performance: -Increase the max memory. -Increase the number of engines at startup...

ASE 12.5 vs ASE 11.5 performance issues
Hi All, Again my question is about performance of ASE 12.5 against 11.5.01 We have a huge production client-server application running on W2K server with ASE 11.5.0.1 database (more than 400 tables, 2000 stored procedures). The database was placed on raw disk partitions (no RAID) and split between different physical drives as follows: data, log, tempdb and master database are located on different drives. We have two PIII, 1GHz, 1 GB of memory and give 800MB for ASE. We create separate tempdb cache and bind tempdb to it. Database was bind to default data cache. Then we want to switc...

Converting NT 11.5 ASE to a Solaris 12.5 ASE
We are trying to migrate a server running on Windows NT to a Solaris machine. The NT box is running ASE 11.5 and the Solaris box is running 12.5. So far, the only way we have came up with to migrate the data is bcp. The problem is we estimate this to be probably about a 6-7 hour process. Our shop runs 24*7*365 and unfortunately downtime is not something we get. In the past when we have migrated servers, we have used warm-standby which has worked really nicely. But in this case we can't run dump and load to populate the database. Has anyone been able to migrate an NT box to a...

Replication from ASE 11.92 and Rep 11.5 on AIX 4.2.1 to Linux ASE 11.92 possible?
We are trying to work this out and so far have hit a few snags. Here is the situation: Our Linux server is named tlaas_linux1 and our AIX server is ZYDVAX01. The ASE servers are named tlaas_linux1_sy and ZYDVAX01_SY respectively. from tlaas_linux1: -isql -Usa -Ppassword -SZYDVAX01_SY (works) -exec ZYDVAX01_SY.master..sp_who (works) from zydvax01: -isql -Umaintuser -Pmaintpass -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -isql -Usa -Ppassword -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -exec tlaas_linux1_sy.master..sp_who (works when logged into ZYDVAX01_SY.mzypd using isql) -stored procs in the replicate database...

Performance issues after upgrate ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5 #2
Hi How can we improve performance? We're moving a database that was operating fairly well on a Sun 3000 with=20 Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits) to a Sun 10000 with Adaptive=20 Server Enterprise v. 12.5 (64 bits) and Solaris v. 8 Our problem is the slower performance of the database on the new, more=20 powerful and faster machine with newer software (in both operative system=20 and sybase version) A particular query with insert used to work for about 2 hours in a Sun 3000= =20 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits).=20 In a Sun 10000 with Adaptive ...

Transferring database ASE 11.9.2 -> ASE 11.5
Hello, I need to transfer a database from a ASE 11.9.2 server to a ASE 11.5 server. (Servers have the same specs and run Windows NT 4.0). The database doesn't have many objects such as tables, users, Views, SP's etc. etc. It has a 400 MB device for data and 100 MB Device for the log, with standard segmentation. It's relatively small. I understand from this newsgroup that dumping on a newer release and loading on an older release is not an option. Now I figure I have to do the following: - Create a data and a log device with similar names and sizes on the ASE 11.5 se...

ASE 12 running with ASE 11.9.2 and RS 11.5
Hi, I have a customer that asks the following question: "Are there any issues running Sybase 32 and 64 bit applications on the same box? What about replication? Is it possible for us to upgrade to 12 repserver and dataserver on our central complex and continue to run 11.5 repserver/11.9.2 dataserver at remotes?" I would think that this configuration would be ok, but I thought I'd better verify it. Thanks, Pat Proft Alliance Support Pat Proft wrote: > Hi, > I have a customer that asks the following question:...

Web resources about - Index size (ASE 11.5) - sybase.ase.administration

Steve Jobs Keynote Index Fund
Back in 2007 (and linked from DF at the time), Matt Haughey had this idea: I wondered what effect the Jobs keynote had on Apple’s stock price ...

Money Flow Index
Tuesday, 26 May 2015 Home About us Contact Information Privacy Policy Terms of Service Menu Home Business Economy US Europe Markets Politics ...

City Index UK - Spread Betting, CFD & FX trading
One of the leading UK providers of spread betting and CFD trading, City Index has over 30 years' industry experience.

California Birth Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The California Birth Index ( CABI ) is a database compiled by the California Office of Health Information and Research. The index contains birth ...

An Index of Metals review: Fausto Romitelli's music amplified by stage action
... arresting and original work of the sort we have come to expect from these artists even as they retain the capacity to surprise. AN INDEX OF ...

US leading index jumps in October
Leading economic index rises sharply, recovering in line with analyst expectations.

Sydney's most liveable suburbs: the Urban Living Index
A new Urban Living Index ranks 228 Sydney suburban areas for liveability.

Ore drops to record low in Asia, shipping index plunges
Iron ore contracts in Asia slumped to records amid speculation that mills in China are reining in steel production as they battle losses.

Offshore Yuan Tumbles as China Unveils Multi-Currency Index
The yuan declined the most since August in offshore trading as China published a new index that values it against a broad range of currencies. ...

Global Terrorism Index 2015 - Business Insider Deutschland
... by 80% in 2014 reaching the highest levels ever recorded, according to the Institute for Economics and Peace's annual Global Terrorism Index ...