HP / ASE 12.0 file descriptor

I am new to ASE 12.x and when starting - the errorlog
shows only 60 file descriptors so I cannot increase the
number of devices. also I stopped the ASE 11.9.2 Engines
which was running and using 1024 file descriptors. How can I
get both versions running - each using half the file
descriptors
on the HP server. I suspect it could be  a license issue
, but if some can help. ...
0
peter_brent
2/9/2004 6:39:54 PM
sybase.ase.administration 7058 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
560 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 54
Get it on Google Play
Get it on Apple App Store

On 9 Feb 2004 10:39:54 -0800,
 in sybase.public.ase.administration
 <peter_brent@manulife.com> wrote: 
>I am new to ASE 12.x and when starting - the errorlog
>shows only 60 file descriptors so I cannot increase the
>number of devices. also I stopped the ASE 11.9.2 Engines
>which was running and using 1024 file descriptors. How can I
>get both versions running - each using half the file
>descriptors
>on the HP server. I suspect it could be  a license issue
>, but if some can help. ...

can you post the errorlog, your RUN_server file and the output of "limit -h" and
"ulimit"?

also, the output of "dataserver -v"

thanks

Jason L. Froebe
TeamSybase http://www.teamsybase.com
Bookcrossing http://jfroebe.bookcrossing.com
WebBlog http://www.livejournal.com/users/jfroebe
HealthyPals http://www.healthyPals.com
0
Jason
2/9/2004 10:04:10 PM
> On 9 Feb 2004 10:39:54 -0800,
>  in sybase.public.ase.administration
>  <peter_brent@manulife.com> wrote:
> >I am new to ASE 12.x and when starting - the errorlog
> >shows only 60 file descriptors so I cannot increase the
> >number of devices. also I stopped the ASE 11.9.2 Engines
> >which was running and using 1024 file descriptors. How
> can I >get both versions running - each using half the
> file >descriptors
> >on the HP server. I suspect it could be  a license issue
> >, but if some can help. ...
>
> can you post the errorlog, your RUN_server file and the
> output of "limit -h" and "ulimit"?
>
> also, the output of "dataserver -v"
>
> thanks
>
> Jason L. Froebe
> TeamSybase http://www.teamsybase.com
> Bookcrossing http://jfroebe.bookcrossing.com
> WebBlog http://www.livejournal.com/users/jfroebe
> HealthyPals http://www.healthyPals.com

hi,
Below is the output for :
dataserver -v
Run Server script
ulimit
ASE errorlog

I could only use 'ulimit' on HP ...


Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0.0.8/P/EBF 11536
IR/HP9000-829/HP-UX 11.0/2039/32bit/FBO/Fri Nov 21 16:26:24
2003

Confidential property of Sybase, Inc.
Copyright 1987, 2003
Sybase, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Unpublished rights reserved under U.S. copyright laws.

This software contains confidential and trade secret
information of Sybase,
Inc.   Use,  duplication or disclosure of the software and
documentation by
the  U.S.  Government  is  subject  to  restrictions set
forth in a license
agreement  between  the  Government  and  Sybase,  Inc.  or 
other  written
agreement  specifying  the  Government's rights to use the
software and any
applicable FAR provisions, for example, FAR 52.227-19.
Sybase, Inc. One Sybase Drive, Dublin, CA 94568, USA
#!/bin/sh
#
# Adaptive Server name:		 DERIVSYSD
# Master device path:		 /data/sybsystem/sybmaster12
# Error log path:		 /sybase/ASE-12_0/install/DERIVSYSD.log
# Directory for shared memory files:		 /sybase
#
/sybase/ASE-12_0/bin/dataserver \
-sDERIVSYSD \
-d/data/sybsystem/sybmaster12 \
-e/sybase/ASE-12_0/install/DERIVSYSD.log \
-M/sybase \

4194303
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:46:57.83 kernel  Use license
file /sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:46:57.83 kernel  Using config
area from primary master device.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:46:57.84 kernel  Warning: Using
default file '/sybase/DERIVSYSD.cfg' since a configuration
file was not specified. Specify a configurat
ion file name in the RUNSERVER file to avoid this message.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:46:57.84 kernel  The sum,
(number of user connections) + (number of devices * max
online engines * 2) + (number of remote sites) + (max
 number network listeners), must be no greater than '50'.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:46:57.87 kernel  Verification
failed for parameter 'number of devices'.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:48:33.30 kernel  Use license
file /sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:48:33.30 kernel  Using config
area from primary master device.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:48:33.31 kernel  Warning: Using
default file '/sybase/DERIVSYSD.cfg' since a configuration
file was not specified. Specify a configurat
ion file name in the RUNSERVER file to avoid this message.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:48:33.31 kernel  The sum,
(number of user connections) + (number of devices * max
online engines * 2) + (number of remote sites) + (max
 number network listeners), must be no greater than '50'.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:48:33.34 kernel  Verification
failed for parameter 'number of devices'.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:40.92 kernel  Use license
file /sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:40.92 kernel  Using config
area from primary master device.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:40.93 kernel  Warning: Using
default file '/sybase/DERIVSYSD.cfg' since a configuration
file was not specified. Specify a configurat
ion file name in the RUNSERVER file to avoid this message.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.33 kernel  Kernel memory
at address 2147483648 (0x80000000), size is 925097984 bytes
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.34 kernel  Using 60 file
descriptors.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.34 kernel  Adaptive
Server Enterprise/12.0.0.8/P/EBF 11536 IR/HP9000-829/HP-UX
11.0/2039/32bit/FBO/Fri Nov 21 16:26:24 2003
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.34 kernel  Confidential
property of Sybase, Inc.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.37 kernel  Copyright
1987, 2003
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.37 kernel  Sybase, Inc. 
All rights reserved.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.37 kernel  Unpublished
rights reserved under U.S. copyright laws.
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.37 kernel
00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.37 kernel  This software
contains confidential and trade secret information of
Sybase,
0
peter_brent
2/9/2004 10:33:00 PM
On 9 Feb 2004 14:33:00 -0800,
 in sybase.public.ase.administration
 <peter_brent@manulife.com> wrote: 
>> On 9 Feb 2004 10:39:54 -0800,
>>  in sybase.public.ase.administration
>>  <peter_brent@manulife.com> wrote:
>> >I am new to ASE 12.x and when starting - the errorlog
>> >shows only 60 file descriptors so I cannot increase the
>> >number of devices. also I stopped the ASE 11.9.2 Engines
>> >which was running and using 1024 file descriptors. How
>> can I >get both versions running - each using half the
>> file >descriptors
>> >on the HP server. I suspect it could be  a license issue
>> >, but if some can help. ...
>>
>> can you post the errorlog, your RUN_server file and the
>> output of "limit -h" and "ulimit"?
>>
>> also, the output of "dataserver -v"
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Jason L. Froebe
>> TeamSybase http://www.teamsybase.com
>> Bookcrossing http://jfroebe.bookcrossing.com
>> WebBlog http://www.livejournal.com/users/jfroebe
>> HealthyPals http://www.healthyPals.com
>
>hi,
>Below is the output for :
>dataserver -v
>Run Server script
>ulimit
>ASE errorlog
>
>I could only use 'ulimit' on HP ...
>
>
>Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0.0.8/P/EBF 11536
>IR/HP9000-829/HP-UX 11.0/2039/32bit/FBO/Fri Nov 21 16:26:24
>2003
>
>Confidential property of Sybase, Inc.
>Copyright 1987, 2003
>Sybase, Inc.  All rights reserved.
>Unpublished rights reserved under U.S. copyright laws.
>
>This software contains confidential and trade secret
>information of Sybase,
>Inc.   Use,  duplication or disclosure of the software and
>documentation by
>the  U.S.  Government  is  subject  to  restrictions set
>forth in a license
>agreement  between  the  Government  and  Sybase,  Inc.  or 
>other  written
>agreement  specifying  the  Government's rights to use the
>software and any
>applicable FAR provisions, for example, FAR 52.227-19.
>Sybase, Inc. One Sybase Drive, Dublin, CA 94568, USA
>#!/bin/sh
>#
># Adaptive Server name:		 DERIVSYSD
># Master device path:		 /data/sybsystem/sybmaster12
># Error log path:		 /sybase/ASE-12_0/install/DERIVSYSD.log
># Directory for shared memory files:		 /sybase
>#
>/sybase/ASE-12_0/bin/dataserver \
>-sDERIVSYSD \
>-d/data/sybsystem/sybmaster12 \
>-e/sybase/ASE-12_0/install/DERIVSYSD.log \
>-M/sybase \
>
>4194303
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:46:57.83 kernel  Use license
>file /sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:46:57.83 kernel  Using config
>area from primary master device.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:46:57.84 kernel  Warning: Using
>default file '/sybase/DERIVSYSD.cfg' since a configuration
>file was not specified. Specify a configurat
>ion file name in the RUNSERVER file to avoid this message.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:46:57.84 kernel  The sum,
>(number of user connections) + (number of devices * max
>online engines * 2) + (number of remote sites) + (max
> number network listeners), must be no greater than '50'.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:46:57.87 kernel  Verification
>failed for parameter 'number of devices'.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:48:33.30 kernel  Use license
>file /sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:48:33.30 kernel  Using config
>area from primary master device.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:48:33.31 kernel  Warning: Using
>default file '/sybase/DERIVSYSD.cfg' since a configuration
>file was not specified. Specify a configurat
>ion file name in the RUNSERVER file to avoid this message.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:48:33.31 kernel  The sum,
>(number of user connections) + (number of devices * max
>online engines * 2) + (number of remote sites) + (max
> number network listeners), must be no greater than '50'.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:48:33.34 kernel  Verification
>failed for parameter 'number of devices'.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:40.92 kernel  Use license
>file /sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:40.92 kernel  Using config
>area from primary master device.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:40.93 kernel  Warning: Using
>default file '/sybase/DERIVSYSD.cfg' since a configuration
>file was not specified. Specify a configurat
>ion file name in the RUNSERVER file to avoid this message.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.33 kernel  Kernel memory
>at address 2147483648 (0x80000000), size is 925097984 bytes
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.34 kernel  Using 60 file
>descriptors.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.34 kernel  Adaptive
>Server Enterprise/12.0.0.8/P/EBF 11536 IR/HP9000-829/HP-UX
>11.0/2039/32bit/FBO/Fri Nov 21 16:26:24 2003
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.34 kernel  Confidential
>property of Sybase, Inc.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.37 kernel  Copyright
>1987, 2003
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.37 kernel  Sybase, Inc. 
>All rights reserved.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.37 kernel  Unpublished
>rights reserved under U.S. copyright laws.
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.37 kernel
>00:00000:00000:2004/01/22 08:49:41.37 kernel  This software
>contains confidential and trade secret information of
>Sybase,

Hi,

this is unusual

I believe that the default file descriptor limit on HPUX 11i is 2048 if I
remember correctly.  Check with your unix admin why the box is set to such a low
limit of 50 descriptors.  You should be able to use ulimit to set the hard limit
to 1024 or 2048 (Sybase ASE will set the soft limit by itself)

Jason L. Froebe
TeamSybase http://www.teamsybase.com
Bookcrossing http://jfroebe.bookcrossing.com
WebBlog http://www.livejournal.com/users/jfroebe
HealthyPals http://www.healthyPals.com
0
Jason
2/9/2004 11:47:27 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

any issues to restore dump file of ASE 12.0 (32bit) to a ASE 12.0 (64bit) system ?
Hi, Does anyone know whether there is an issue that we restore the dump file (not master and system db) of ASE 12.0 (32bit) to a ASE 12.0 (64bit) system ? Assume that both system DBs are the same. Cheers paul > Hi, > > Does anyone know whether there is an issue that we restore > the dump file (not master and system db) of ASE 12.0 > (32bit) to a ASE 12.0 (64bit) system ? Assume that both > system DBs are the same. > > Cheers > paul If you have a recent ebf of ASE 12.0 (say 12.0.0.4 or later) than no problem. Earlier ebfs had a few problems....

ASE 12.0.0.0 / SWR 8775 UPGRADE TO ASE 12.0.0.6/EBF 10628 PERFORMANCE PROBLEM
Hi All, We recently upgraded ASE 12.0.0.0/SWR 8775 to ASE 12.0.0.6/EBF 10628. Some queries stopped returning resultsets. Recompiled the stored procs which fixed the issue. But the queries are running slower now. The overall performance of the app has become sluggish. The CPU is generally running higher as well! Have also set LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64 to include the new Solaris 8 threads library. Anybody any insights into this? How can we get back to the pre-upgrade performance levels short of rolling back the EBF. Regards Perry Perry, I guess 12.0.0.6 requires some Solaris ...

ASE 12.0.0.6 to ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 12.1
We are planning the upgrade of our ASE 12.0.0.6 64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5 64bit on AIX 4.3.3. We are also using Rep Server 12.1 with these two servers. My question is do I need to upgrade Rep Server as well, or will 12.1 Rep Server Work with ASE 12.5. Also, we will be upgrading AIX to 5.1 as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Troy It will work, however you wont be able to use any of the 12.5 new datatypes, and the rep_agents will spit out annoying error/warning messages everytime they are restarted. Our production system has been running that way for about ye...

Can't construct query plan in ASE 12.0
Error 325 is being returned when trying to execute a stored procedure on version : Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0/P/SWR 8773 ESD 1/RS6000/AIX 4.3.2/1580/64bit/FBO/Tue Dec 7 03:29:32 1999 ... this is the code causing the error when running on version listed above... it's a sub-query within a stored proc AND SBSB.HIST_ROW_ID = (select MAX(SBSB2.HIST_ROW_ID) FROM Massive_db.audit.CMC_SBSB_SUBSC SBSB2 WHERE SBSB2.SBSB_CK = SBSB.SBSB_CK AND CONVERT(CHAR(10),SBEL.SBEL_INSQ_DT,101) = CONVERT(CHAR 10),SBSB2.HIST_CREATE_DTM,101)) When executing same stored procedure on AS...

Migrating from ASE 12.0 32-bit to ASE 12.0 64-bit
Has anyone run into any problems migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit? ...

Migrating from ASE 12.0 32-bit to ASE 12.0 64-bit
Has anyone run into any problems migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit? ...

ASE 12.0 and ASE 12.5 optional features
Dear all, Can anyone knows what are the optional features of ASE 12.0 and ASE 12.5?? Thanks ~Riverwind ASE 12.0 : * DTM (distribute transaction management) * HA (High availability) * JAVA (Java support in the database) * Security services. ASE 12.5 * EJB support in the database. * XFS (extended file system support) * Directory services * Extended full text search * Java option now includes xml support in ASE. HTH -girish Thanks... ~Riverwind <girish@sybase.com> wrote in message news:43D8F27AA65DE95800085C1785256C0C.00123C3785256C0A@webforums... ...

Upgrading from ASE 12.0 to ASE 12.5.2
Hi everyone, I am basically thinking of upgrading ASE 12.0.x to ASE 12.5.2. How would the migration process be. Is it straight dump and load or otherwise ?? regards Paresh. Paresh wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I am basically thinking of upgrading ASE 12.0.x to ASE 12.5.2. > > How would the migration process be. Is it straight dump and load or > otherwise ?? > > regards > > Paresh. > > see the upgrade/installation guide joop -- Senior Consultant Sybase Professional Services New address per 21 November 2005: Zo...

Upgrade ASE 12.0.0.4 to 12.0.0.8
I upgraded my ASE to version 12.0.0.8. Now one of the application get a permanent error: "Not enough procedure cache". I increased the proc cache to 40% (total memory: 1 GB) - no success. When I rolled back to 12.0.0.4 everything works fine (with less procedure cache). The ASE is running on Solaris 7. The application connects thru the Merant ODBC driver. I gave the application already back to development to check. Any help how this can be avoided by a change on the host/server is appreciated. Bernd I always recommend dropping/recreating all of the stored...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 12.5.0.3
Hello, I have to return to ASE 12.5.0.3 from ASE 12.5.2. I created a new server and did a dump/load of a user database and that seems to be fine. Is this a safe way to downgrade ? Is it necessary to create a new server (master database) or should it also be possible to shutdown the 12.5.2 server and start it again with the 12.5.0.3 binary ? Thanks, Luc. ...

Performance Degradation after ASE 12.0 upgrade to ASE 12.5
Hello, There was a issue posted on 08/06/2002 by 'Bob' related to performance degradation after upgrade of ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5. I would like to know whether anyone has found any solution/workaround to resolve those issues without making any changes in the application code. We are also facing the same problems here after upgrade of ASE 12.0 to ASE 12.5. The program which takes 10 mins. on ASE 12.0 is taking more than 3 hrs to finish on ASE 12.5 despite of using the same indexes and the program which takes 3 hrs on ASE 12.0 is taking more than 24 hours on ASE 12.5. ...

Upgrading from ASE (32-bit) 12.0.0.7 on Solaris 2.8 64-bit to ASE(64-bit) 12.5.1 on Solaris 64-bit
Hello all, We are planning to upgrade our ASE servers from a 32-bit ASE 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1 on Solaris 8. Could you please give what are the steps to be taken care and how do I start with ( Do I have to first upgrade to 32-bit12.5.1 and then upgrade to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1, or directly upgrade from 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1 ?). Could you also please point to some documentation (about upgrading 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1). Thanks RK ...

Upgrade from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub3ff97039 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I've just upgraded from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1. I tried to start the server, but it won't startup. Here is the message: sybase(ASE1250)328 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> startserver -f RUN_AMXDB sybase(ASE1250)329 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 kernel Use license file /app/sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat. 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 ker...

Migration from ASE 12.0 ( HPUX ) to ASE 12.5 ( Solaris 8 )
Hi, I'd like to migrate an ASE 12.0.0.3 (roman8) on HPUX 11 with many DBs to an ASE 12.5.0.3 (*roman8*) on Solaris 8. I know it's not the default charset on solaris. I've made dump on HPUX, copy it on Sun box and load it. I know it's not supported by Sybase ( cross plateform dump ). However, it seems to be OK, the upgrade works well, the dbcc (check table, alloc) did not reveal error. I think it's not supported only because the charset deffers ( by default ) on the plateform. What do you think of this ? is there others checks to do ? What kind of corruption or...

Web resources about - HP / ASE 12.0 file descriptor - sybase.ase.administration

Descriptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the ...

Israel descriptor sparks boycott threat
ISLAMIC nations furious over the Abbott government's policy shift on Israeli settlements have warned they could boycott Australian farm exports ...

Wine: Flavour descriptors move to bottles' front labels
in a bold move, some wine producers have started printing flavour information prominently on the front

Most SBC Pastors Reluctant to Use 'Great Commission Baptists' Descriptor
Contrary to the recent recommendation by a Southern Baptist Convention task force that the denomination introduce an "informal" optional title ...

A Quite Recent Obsession: On Constitutional Descriptors
... describe things as “constitutional,” and “unconstitutional.” They talk about the “Bill of Rights” and the “Second Amendment.” These descriptors ...

CinemaCon: MPAA And NATO Chiefs Talk Up New Ratings Descriptors
The film industry’s two chief lobbyists stayed on message at a brief press conference this afternoon that mostly dealt with the movie ratings ...

‘Middle Class’ Disappears: Political Strategists Use ‘Everyday Americans’ As A New Descriptor For The ...
... with family and friends on holidays. But that reality has quickly dissipated; what is left in its wake has yet to be named an accurate descriptor. ...

Why the Word ‘Merry’ Is Used For Christmas in the U.S. When Other Holidays Use the Descriptor ‘Happy’ ...
Linguist Arika Okrent and illustrator Sean O’Neill verbally and visually explain why the word “merry” is used in conjunction with Christmas , ...

Body, Structure, Grip: What Wine Descriptors Really Mean
Whether you're reading off a list, getting an expert's recommendations, or browsing the aisles of a liquor store, it's rare to talk about wine ...

New Yorker Deletes ‘Uppity’ Descriptor from Ted Cruz Article
The New Yorker’ s John Cassidy used the word “uppity” to describe Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) in an article on the early GOP presidential hopeful ...

Resources last updated: 1/9/2016 5:33:54 AM