Why Does a Package go AWOL?

Still recovering my skills after a decade away from Delphi .... so far so good but today this happened:

(1)I have a new package called "STR" into which I have installed a single custom component "TvGraph".
(2) STR is then installed using "Component/Install Packages". The tab pops up over the tool bar and when clicked the TvGraph icon is there.
(3) In a test project, the component can be popped onto the project form and design time behavior is perfect.
(4) I almost always choose "Link with runtime libraries" and do so this time. I have also learned from experience that my packages do not always show up in the default runtime library list so I edit it in there as I have done several times before for other projects. A minor annoyance at worst.
(5) Click "Run" for a test and up comes a message saying the system cannot find STR.bpl. which seems very weird as the IDE had no trouble at design time.

Using Windows 8.1 search, STR.bpl is found lurking in \Users\Myname etc., etc. where no wonder it can't be found.

(6) The workaround was to copy the original STR.bpl from the folder where it's originally output to when building the package into Embarcaderos \bin folder where all the other bpl's live.
(7) The test project now works perfectly.

It seems the IDE installer put the package in the wrong place but why? It has never done this before. Is it possible something in Tools/Options/Libraries is messed? I've never touched it and it looks OK.

Best wishes,
gk
0
Garth
2/9/2014 10:16:10 PM
public.delphi.vcl.writing 510 articles. 0 followers. Follow

2 Replies
533 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 2

Garth Klatt wrote:
> Still recovering my skills after a decade away from Delphi .... so far so good but today this happened:
> 
> (1)I have a new package called "STR" into which I have installed a single custom component "TvGraph".
> (2) STR is then installed using "Component/Install Packages". The tab pops up over the tool bar and when clicked the TvGraph icon is there.
> (3) In a test project, the component can be popped onto the project form and design time behavior is perfect.
> (4) I almost always choose "Link with runtime libraries" and do so this time. I have also learned from experience that my packages do not always show up in the default runtime library list so I edit it in there as I have done several times before for other projects. A minor annoyance at worst.
> (5) Click "Run" for a test and up comes a message saying the system cannot find STR.bpl. which seems very weird as the IDE had no trouble at design time.
> 

At run time your package must be loadable by the OS.  That means the bpl must be 
in the path basically (Windows by default searches first in the current working 
directory, then windows, windows\systerm32 and finally the path).  Sounds like 
you have a single designtime/runtime package.  The IDE loads all design time 
packages by full path so can find it, run time packages are loaded by the OS 
following Windows lookup rules.

> Using Windows 8.1 search, STR.bpl is found lurking in \Users\Myname etc., etc. where no wonder it can't be found.
> 

That should be in your path, the install adds that to your path by default so 
something removed it.

> (6) The workaround was to copy the original STR.bpl from the folder where it's originally output to when building the package into Embarcaderos \bin folder where all the other bpl's live.

Do not do that.  That is not where it goes and actually will violate later 
versions protection schemes and stop the IDE from running.

> (7) The test project now works perfectly.
> 
> It seems the IDE installer put the package in the wrong place but why? It has never done this before. Is it possible something in Tools/Options/Libraries is messed? I've never touched it and it looks OK.
> 

No it is putting it where your output directory is.  That directory must be in 
the path for your application to load it at run time.

> Best wishes,
> gk


-- 
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
       (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor
I must fear evil. For I am but mortal and mortals can only die.
Asking questions, pleading answers from the nameless
faceless watchers that stalk the carpeted  corridors of Whitehall.
              (Fish)
0
Jeff
2/10/2014 3:32:51 AM
Thanks Jeff,

You got me pointed in the right direction again and everything works. I also removed the .bpl from the IDE \bin  :~

I have decided it is really best to take the IDE defaults for .dcp and .bpl while having the project itself somewhere else. 

gk



> {quote:title=Jeff Overcash (TeamB) wrote:}{quote}
> Garth Klatt wrote:
> > Still recovering my skills after a decade away from Delphi .... so far so good but today this happened:
> > 
> > (1)I have a new package called "STR" into which I have installed a single custom component "TvGraph".
> > (2) STR is then installed using "Component/Install Packages". The tab pops up over the tool bar and when clicked the TvGraph icon is there.
> > (3) In a test project, the component can be popped onto the project form and design time behavior is perfect.
> > (4) I almost always choose "Link with runtime libraries" and do so this time. I have also learned from experience that my packages do not always show up in the default runtime library list so I edit it in there as I have done several times before for other projects. A minor annoyance at worst.
> > (5) Click "Run" for a test and up comes a message saying the system cannot find STR.bpl. which seems very weird as the IDE had no trouble at design time.
> > 
> 
> At run time your package must be loadable by the OS.  That means the bpl must be 
> in the path basically (Windows by default searches first in the current working 
> directory, then windows, windows\systerm32 and finally the path).  Sounds like 
> you have a single designtime/runtime package.  The IDE loads all design time 
> packages by full path so can find it, run time packages are loaded by the OS 
> following Windows lookup rules.
> 
> > Using Windows 8.1 search, STR.bpl is found lurking in \Users\Myname etc., etc. where no wonder it can't be found.
> > 
> 
> That should be in your path, the install adds that to your path by default so 
> something removed it.
> 
> > (6) The workaround was to copy the original STR.bpl from the folder where it's originally output to when building the package into Embarcaderos \bin folder where all the other bpl's live.
> 
> Do not do that.  That is not where it goes and actually will violate later 
> versions protection schemes and stop the IDE from running.
> 
> > (7) The test project now works perfectly.
> > 
> > It seems the IDE installer put the package in the wrong place but why? It has never done this before. Is it possible something in Tools/Options/Libraries is messed? I've never touched it and it looks OK.
> > 
> 
> No it is putting it where your output directory is.  That directory must be in 
> the path for your application to load it at run time.
> 
> > Best wishes,
> > gk
> 
> 
> -- 
> Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
>        (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
> And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor
> I must fear evil. For I am but mortal and mortals can only die.
> Asking questions, pleading answers from the nameless
> faceless watchers that stalk the carpeted  corridors of Whitehall.
>               (Fish)
0
Garth
2/12/2014 3:36:32 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

go go go
Name: catalin Product: Minefield Summary: go go go Comments: I like firefox Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2 x64; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20061007 Minefield/3.0a1 ...

package conversion from Delphi 5 to Delphi 2010
Hello, I am evaluating 2010 to convert a delphi 5 app up. My first task is to convert some custom control packages. My requires statment looks like this: requires vcl50, Vclx50, VclSmp50, Vcldb50, vcljpg50, What are the delphi 2010 equivalents if any? Is there documentation that I could look at to help with the conversion process? Thanks.. ...Joe.. joe alaimo wrote: > requires > vcl50, > Vclx50, > VclSmp50, > Vcldb50, > vcljpg50, 140 is the 2010 version. > > What are the delphi 2010 equivalents if any? Is t...

It keeps going and going and going...
http://www.symantec.com/connect/fr/blogs/trojan-found-usb-battery-charge r-software > We recently received a file (from CERT) for analysis. We found that > the file was a Trojan that opens a back door on a compromised > computer and listens for commands on port 7777. This by itself is not > very unusual, but what surprised us was that this file was being > distributed by Energizer Inc as part of a USB charger-monitoring > software package. > > The Trojan listens for commands from anyone who connects and can > perform various actions, such as the following...

writing a package
------_=_NextPart_001_01C6DF36.41B1E1D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable As a learning exercise I am trying to write a perl module that compare = files. This is an example from Effective Perl Programming Book by Joseph = Hall. My error occurs when I run make test PERL_DL_NONLAZY=3D1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" = "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t t/1....Test header seen more than once! # No tests run! t/1....dubious T...

Delphi IS the VCL
Delphi IS the VCL! Oh, wait... sorry. I meant Winforms, not VCL. What was I thinking? I know! they got me too. Don't know what I was thinking. :) > {quote:title=Jay Faubion wrote:}{quote} > Delphi IS the VCL! > > Oh, wait... sorry. I meant Winforms, not VCL. > > What was I thinking? Jay Faubion wrote: > Delphi IS the VCL! > TButton Forever! ;-) W Jay Faubion wrote: > What was I thinking? Wasn't it called CLX ? Turbo Vision -> OWL -> VCL -> CLX -> Winforms -> ...... (to be continued) -- ...

Text.Write speed
Hi ! I have speed troubles for using Text.Write method in Delphi 2006, particularly with distant files (local network). For example, with the following code ("F" is a text file ; "Line" is an about 200-character string): ----- AssignFile(F, FileName); try Rewrite(F); for l := 1 to 100 do begin for c := 1 to Length(Line) do Write(F, Line[c]); Writeln(F); end; finally CloseFile(F); end; ----- On a distant file: Delphi 5 -> 0.08 seconds Delphi 2006 -> close to 8 seconds Is there a speci...

DesignIDE package and porting Delphi 7 components to Delphi XE2
HI I am porting components from Delphi7 to Delphi XE2, and started run in problems regarding MaskProp.dcu, some of the components uses this, and is looking for TMaskProperty class. After a lot of browsing on the net i figured out that all these units is packaged in the designide.dcp. So i have the design time component in a package that requires the designide.dcp and then the runtime component package that reguires the designtime package for the component. In the runtime component package i get errors regarding the MaskProp.dcu and the TMaskProperty class. I dont know what to do from ...

Converting Delphi Package (dpk) to C++ Builder Package (bpk)
Hi I'm using an old version of C++ Builder, the 6. But i was wondering if someone could help me. I need some very specific components installed in my Builder, but i only have a DPK, along with the source files. Is there a way to create a BPK that's does exactly the same as de DPK would do? I really need to get this done, so i appreciate any light you can shed on this problem for me. Thanks in advance. Tiago Silva wrote: > Hi > > I'm using an old version of C++ Builder, the 6. But i was wondering > if someone could help me. > > I need some ...

vcljpg to vclimg, packages and Delphi 2006 vs Delphi 2010 compatibility
Hello, everybody. I have a package A which has vcljpg in its "requires" clause. I have another several packages B, C, D, E, etc which has A in theirs "requires" clauses. All packages are both Delphi 2006 and Delphi 2010 compatible. The problem is that there is no vcljpg package in Delphi 2010 and in order to compile the whole bunch of packages I have to change vcljpg to vclimg and compile. Unfortunately it renders the whole set of packages incompilable under Delphi 2006. Is there a way to create an alias for vclimg or vcljpg in order to get the same code...

Delphi 6 to Delphi XE2: can't find required package.
We have a Delphi 6 Project Group that we like to work on in Delphi XE2. When trying to build the project, we get the DCC Fatal Error E2202: Required package 'cds' not found. With Delphi 6 we've used the following tools: - JVCL340 & JCL221 - devExpress QuantumGrid 6 - QuickReport (default in Delphi 6) - Visoco Sybase Driver, Devart Oracle en MSSQL drivers With Delphi XE2 (update 3 installed) we're using the following tools and settings for now (after removing Delphi 6 in an attempt to make it work) : - JVCL345 & JCL231 (http://jvcl.delphi-jedi.org/) - devExpr...

Is any component available to make an asp.net web application common to all the DataBases by writing common methods which use OracleHelper, OleDbHelper, SqlHelper ? Im going to write such a class. Any
Hi All, Is there any way to make an application common to all the DataBase using all the 3 Helper classes comes with Nile Application - OleDbHelpder, OracleHelper and SqlHelper ? Say, based on settins in the web.config or an Application variable, a common class to call the respective Helper Classes. We are going to try like this. If anyone knows whether there exists a similar component, let us know. Any help/ links/ sugessions reg. this will be useful for me ! Yours, Sankar.B...

How to creat Package in delphi
How to creat Package in delphi *.dpk with lib brahim timezghine wrote: > How to creat Package in delphi *.dpk with lib File | New | Package - Delphi Project | options, make sure the Output C/C++ has Generate all C++Builder files (including lib) selected (should be the default). -- Jeff Overcash (TeamB) (Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You) And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor I must fear evil. For I am but mortal and mortals can only die. Asking questions, pleading answers from the nameless faceless watchers that stalk ...

Cannot open Delphi package
I downloaded the trial version of Delphi Architect and then managed to open and compile some free Delphi Google Map components. However, the package bpl files were not created. I then unistalled the trial version and installed and registered Delphi XE4 Enterprise. I now cannot open the packages because I get the error message "Project cannot be loaded because the required personality Delphi.Personality is not available". What should I do? Pier I figured out the problem - I was running C++ Builder instead of Delphi XE4. However, I still cannot find the package bpl fil...

XE3 and Delphi Packages
Simple question: Can I build Delphi packages in C++ Builder XE3 (without having to buy Delphi)? Leroy wrote: > Simple question: Can I build Delphi packages in C++ Builder XE3 > (without having to buy Delphi)? Yes. C++Builder includes a command-line Delphi compiler. -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) Am 26.04.2013 00:06, schrieb Remy Lebeau (TeamB): > Leroy wrote: > >> Simple question: Can I build Delphi packages in C++ Builder XE3 >> (without having to buy Delphi)? > > Yes. C++Builder includes a command-line Delphi compiler. But you have to install ...

Web resources about - Why Does a Package go AWOL? - public.delphi.vcl.writing

Semiconductor package - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A semiconductor package is a metal, plastic, glass, or ceramic casing containing one or more semiconductor electronic components. Individual ...

Ten chairman David Gordon calls for full media reform package
Ten Network Holdings chairman David Gordon calls for the removal of all media ownership regulation rather than picking off legislation bit by ...

Suspicious package prompts airport evacuation in Fort McMurray
The airport in Fort McMurray, Alta., has resumed normal operations after being evacuated Friday night because of a suspicious package.

Ten chairman David Gordon calls for full media reform package
Ten Network Holdings chairman David Gordon calls for the removal of all media ownership regulation rather than picking off legislation bit by ...

Sling TV adds Outside Television to its Sports Extra package
... sports like skiing, snowboarding, surfing, kayaking, climbing, mountain biking, BASE jumping, and more. Other channels in the sports package ...

2017 Infiniti QX30 brings style in a small package to LA
Filed under: 2015 LA Auto Show , Infiniti , Crossover , Luxury The 2017 Infiniti QX30 premieres at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Infiniti hopes ...

How long until drones are actually delivering packages?
Daily Mail CEO Jon Steinberg discusses Amazon's new shipping drone and why he thinks drone deliveries are closer than you think.

Nearly 120,000 VW Owners Accept “Goodwill Package,” Carmaker To Present Plan For Emissions Fix Friday ...
... to fix their “clean diesel” vehicles rigged to cheat emissions tests by offering owners $1,000 in cash and credits. While the “goodwill package” ...

Amazon Unveils Its Latest Package Delivery Drone Prototype
The newest Prime Air drone leaves the ground vertically, then flies packages to their destinations on a traditional horizontal flight path.

Who Really Determines CEO Salary Packages?
The answer could help to explain why CEO salaries tend to be very high across the board.

Resources last updated: 12/1/2015 9:45:25 PM