Help Files

Hi,

I have spent considerable time decompiling BCB6 help files in order to determine the styles, fonts and other formats used to create the *.rtf file for a help project (HCW V4.03). Along with this, the BCB6 help and other bits and pieces found over the internet I have created a help file that works with BCB6 including the context help topics when the F1 key is pressed.

The following post was recently added to the BCB6 Component Writing forum, but there it was suggested that I try here. I guess the *.hlp file formats and the F1 context help mechanism works the same for both BCB6 and Delphi.

I have written a component help file that works perfectly except for two things.

If a component tab is selected on the component palette (without selecting a component) and the F1 key, for the standard components a help page is displayed that provides a general description of the component group as well as short description for each component on the tab, and of coarse a link to each component. I would like to provide this help page also, but cannot find out how it has been done. I am assuming that some kind of footnote is required as are used for other context sensitive help topics.

For some strange reason one of my properties does not work correctly when the F1 key is pressed. Is is of type int and named MyInt and has its own custom property editor which limits the range of values that can be assigned to the property (this is a learning component). I have tried renaming the property, changing its type and disabling the custom property editor. I have verified the help *.rtf file A footnote for the property and all looks correct. When the F1 key is pressed I get the Help index dialog
shown instead of the Topics Found dialog.

I have another int property called Count in the same component and that works fine when the F1 key is pressed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
0
John
2/18/2014 2:44:44 PM
public.delphi.vcl.writing 510 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Try downloading the demo version of GenHelp (bottom of download page) from
www.frasersoft.net/genhelp
This should enable you to write BCB 6 component help files quickly.
Rgds Pete (GenHelp)

"John Farmer" wrote in message news:653536@forums.embarcadero.com...

[...]

Pete
3/1/2014 6:37:53 PM
Many thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the suggested tool and will give it a try.

I am still interested in getting to the bottom of what is needed in the RFT file to get the F1 key to work as described in my original post.

Regards
FarmerJohn

> {quote:title=Pete Fraser wrote:}{quote}
> Try downloading the demo version of GenHelp (bottom of download page) from
> www.frasersoft.net/genhelp
> This should enable you to write BCB 6 component help files quickly.
> Rgds Pete (GenHelp)
>
> "John Farmer" wrote in message news:653536@forums.embarcadero.com...
>
> Hi,
>
> I have spent considerable time decompiling BCB6 help files in order to
> determine the styles, fonts and other formats used to create the *.rtf file
> for a help project (HCW V4.03). Along with this, the BCB6 help and other
> bits and pieces found over the internet I have created a help file that
> works with BCB6 including the context help topics when the F1 key is
> pressed.
>
> The following post was recently added to the BCB6 Component Writing forum,
> but there it was suggested that I try here. I guess the *.hlp file formats
> and the F1 context help mechanism works the same for both BCB6 and Delphi.
>
> I have written a component help file that works perfectly except for two
> things.
>
> If a component tab is selected on the component palette (without selecting a
> component) and the F1 key, for the standard components a help page is
> displayed that provides a general description of the component group as well
> as short description for each component on the tab, and of coarse a link to
> each component. I would like to provide this help page also, but cannot find
> out how it has been done. I am assuming that some kind of footnote is
> required as are used for other context sensitive help topics.
>
> For some strange reason one of my properties does not work correctly when
> the F1 key is pressed. Is is of type int and named MyInt and has its own
> custom property editor which limits the range of values that can be assigned
> to the property (this is a learning component). I have tried renaming the
> property, changing its type and disabling the custom property editor. I have
> verified the help *.rtf file A footnote for the property and all looks
> correct. When the F1 key is pressed I get the Help index dialog
> shown instead of the Topics Found dialog.
>
> I have another int property called Count in the same component and that
> works fine when the F1 key is pressed.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
0
John

Integrating do I integrate all help files
How do I integrate PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp files together help such that I can get help on all issues (PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp ) through powerbuilder's help-content menu only . Please don't cross-post. On 1 Nov 2004 12:34:08 -0700, "Damola adesuyi" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I integrate PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp files together help such >that I can get help on all issues (PFC, sybase and powerbuilderhelp ) >through powerbuilder's help-content menu only . > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] http://www....

I need help:File CodeGear.Delphi.Targets dammaged in Delphi X2
Hello My computer has a crash and the file CodeGear.Delphi.Targets was dammaged. Delphi open but I can not compile anything. other files recovered but Windows Backup Center does no save this filetype .Targets (pay attention!) Can someone send my privatelly this file or say me where I can download it. It's Delphi X2 update 4 I tried delphi X2 repair but it gives me error Thank you. Joan Galí GTV Barcelona-Europe Solved reinstalling Delphi. El 30/06/2014 13:51, Joan Gali ha escrit: > Hello > My computer has a crash and the file CodeGear.Delphi.Targe...

I need help:File CodeGear.Delphi.Targets dammaged in Delphi X2
Hello My computer has a crash and the file CodeGear.Delphi.Targets was dammaged. Delphi open but I can not compile anything. other files recovered but Windows Backup Center does no save this filetype .Targets (pay attention!) Can someone send my privatelly this file or say me where I can download it. It's Delphi X2 update 4 I tried delphi X2 repair but it gives me error Thank you. Joan Galí GTV Barcelona-Europe Solved reinstalling Delphi. El 30/06/2014 13:51, Joan Gali ha escrit: > Hello > My computer has a crash and the file CodeGear.Delphi.Targets...

write the help file
how to write the help file in pb 5.0 or pb 6.0 write in VB 5.0 by 3-rd part or other way. thank you !!! LYC - I am not sure what you are asking but if you want to write a help file you will need to use the Windows help compiler. Some tools like Robohelp assist this effort especially if you know Word. I would take a look at them for more info. Just a couple things. Be aware of what newsgroup you post your question to - use appropriate one. Also please use your real name on the newsgroups. Thanks! Mark -- Mark Pfeifer[Team PS] mpfeifer@sp...

Writing a Help File
Hi All! I'm writing an online help file for an app I've done. Does anyone know whats the best way of doing this? At the moment I'm writing it in doc mode using VS.NET but does VS provide the same capabilities as MS Word eg can I tab and format things nicely? Any suggestions on the easiest way to do a help file would be great! Thanks! http://ndoc.sourceforge.net/ -ron...

Help files in Delphi
1) I have read that Delphi 2005 and upwards uses MS Help 2 files. I have ..rtf files for some Delphi 5,6, and 7 components I have developed. Is there a way of converting the .rtf files to Help 2 files? 2) How does a Delphi user add 3rd party help files to the Delphi help system manually. I would like the user to have context sensitive help while using Delphi. 3) Can these MS Help 2 files be viewed in Windows Vista and Windows 7, or is it better to supply a pdf help file. Pier ...

Help Help Help Help Help Help

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

How to add new Help file to Delphi 2010 IDE under Menu item "Help"
I have a new component "RichView" and it has a help file. How do I add this help file to the Delphi Help Menu ? Thanks in Advance Richard Answered here.... https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=35053&tstart=0 ...

How to add new Help file to Delphi 2010 IDE under Menu item "Help" #2
I have a new component "RichView" and it has a help file. How do I add this help file to the Delphi Help Menu ? Thanks in Advance Richard It seems there is no easy solution according to this thread... https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=33232&tstart=0 I shall do some more searching first, before closing this thread. My MOTTO is never say never ! Hello Richard, Richard Caruana wrote: > It seems there is no easy solution according to this thread... > https://forums.embarcadero.com/thread.jspa?threadID=33232&tstart=0 The compone...

Help with Help File
I have a project that uses the PFC command pfc_help to implement windows level help. I've set the ia_helptypeid for all cases. When I run the application through the PB environment all of the links to the help file work perfectly, but when I create an executable and run it I get the following error message: The help topic does not exist. Contact your application vendor for an updated help file. (129) Is there something I need to include in the resource file when I build the project? Thanks in advance for the help. Cheryl wrote: > > I have a project that uses the ...

Help! An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY.
I got this message with no more information which can help me to continue to trace. I know this is from http://localhost/DotNetNuke/components/Exceptions/XMLExceptionPublishervb.vb and Catch exc As UnauthorizedAccessException. I don't know which file is accidently set to READ ONLY due Host site and Loacl Machine download/upload transmission. Somebody can help me there? Please Willi, the file in question is in portals/_default/logs/ The message is referring to not being able to write out the exception. You will need to set the file permissions on the entire folder that DNN reside...

XUL write file help!
This maybe a XUL issue so please bear with me. By the way I know NOTHING about XUL. All files that I will be referring to are in the same file folder. I need my javascipt file to write or save the contents of a textarea to other local files. This is for local use only on my system. I have no problem doing this in NN4 and IE. However, I have problems with NN7 and MOZILLA 1.4 even when I add this to my prefs.js files: user_pref("signed.applets.codebase_principal_support", true); I've also added this to my java.policy files: grant codeBase "file:///c:/mywebpa...

Help Help Help Help

help help help help

Web resources about - Help Files - public.delphi.vcl.writing

File:Commons-logo.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This image, or parts of it, is an official logo or design used by Wikimedia Foundation or by one of its projects. It is copyrighted by the Wikimedia ...

tar (file format) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
. tar was initially developed to write data to sequential I/O devices for tape backup purposes. It is now commonly used to collect many files ...

The Fitz Files: NRL decision about Sam Burgess deal with South Sydney exposes problem with salary cap ...
Let us call the salary cap what it is: an illegal cartel between employers to limit the earning capacity of its employees.

Former student to file human rights complaint over UBC's sexual assault policy
A former University of British Columbia graduate student plans to go the province's human rights tribunal over what she calls the school's broken ...

Al Roker Files Complaint After Cab Incident
Today Show co-host Al Roker says he filed a complaint Saturday after a New York City cab driver refused to pick him up–but stopped for a white ...

Viber now lets you attach files, delete messages and more
... messaging and public chat forwarding in late September , the app keeps growing. In an update today, Nov. 24, Viber users can now attach files, ...

The biggest targets of copyright takedown requests on Google are file sharing services
... 2.2 million takedown requests every day for sites with content that someone claims is pirated. Among the most complained about sites are file ...

Comcast Can Interrupt Your Web Browsing With Warnings About Potentially Illegal File-Sharing
... to GitHub , showing how Comcast is now injecting these warnings into customer’s web browsers when they believe that some sort of illegal file-sharing ...

Planned Parenthood files suit against Texas for trying to boot them off Medicaid
... organization while distributing $2.8 million in federal dollars. […] The legal challenge in Texas is the latest in a series of lawsuits filed ...

3D printing files for guns are illegal in an Australian state
The Australian state of New South Wales has made it illegal to possess the blueprints necessary to make your own projectile weapons. Lawmakers ...