To install or not to install?

What's the difference between installing qpsmtpd as in...=0A=0Aperl Makefil=
e.PL=0Amake=0Amake test=0Amake install=0Amake clean=0A=0A... or running it =
directly from /home/smtpd/qpsmtpd?=0A=0APresently I'm running ./qpsmtpd fro=
m xinetd, so the installed copy is probably wasted, right?=0A=0AIs there an=
y benefit/downside in running an installed copy, and how would I do that?=
=0A=0AHans=0A=0A=0A
0
salvisbe
12/30/2008 1:32:37 PM
📁 perl.qpsmtpd
📃 1907 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 3 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 2576 Views

There is no benefit to installing. I've been running under xinetd for
a couple of years, directly from an svn checkout in /var/qpsmtpd. In
fact, I dont even make changes inside the checkout, I keep those in
/var/qplocal.
allan
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Hans Salvisberg <salvisbe@yahoo.de> wrote:
> What's the difference between installing qpsmtpd as in...
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install
> make clean
>
> ... or running it directly from /home/smtpd/qpsmtpd?
>
> Presently I'm running ./qpsmtpd from xinetd, so the installed copy is probably wasted, right?
>
> Is there any benefit/downside in running an installed copy, and how would I do that?
>
> Hans

kitno455
12/30/2008 1:39:59 PM
On Tue, 2008-30-12 at 13:32 +0000, Hans Salvisberg wrote:
> What's the difference between installing qpsmtpd as in...
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install
Two problems:
 1. Scripts "use lib 'lib';" so you will need to modify them on install.
 2. The config directory will also be lost.
Makefile.PL [1] supports running things through a filter on install so
you can easily fix (1) -- except I'm not sure that how easy it is to
pass in the installed library location (I have an example but it makes
arbitrary code changes and does not use perl variables).
A third problem is that the default configuration probably does not do
anything useful for you.
I haven't been messing with qpsmtpd for the past year but when I get
back to it, what I'd like to look at is an interactive config/install
script.
There's also Build.PL [2] and Module::Install [3] but I don't think any
of the perl auto-builders solve this problem yet.
[1] I.e. ExtUtils::MakeMaker
[2] I.e. Module::Build, iirc.
[3] Not as widely used.

--
--gh

0
gwhulbert
12/30/2008 1:44:44 PM
On Tue, 2008-30-12 at 08:44 -0500, Guy Hulbert wrote:
>  1. Scripts "use lib 'lib';" so you will need to modify them on
> install.
Minor correction.
This is only a problem if you don't use the standard library paths or
you are paranoid (like me ;-).
Unless your libraries are at the beginning of @INC -- usually
under /usr/local/ then it is possible to break things and on debian, it
is possible for anyone in the 'staff' group to put things there.
So I find it useful to change:
        use lib 'lib';
        use lib '/my/lib/path';
on install, which prevents this.