Parrot 3.0.0 "Beef Stew" Released

"I think my imagination's broke.  Lemme try and think up the best thing ever.
  Umm... beef... stew.  Yup it's busted alright.  I'm gonna go... place."
  - Strong Bad, http://hrwiki.org/wiki/different_town

On behalf of the Parrot team and an enthusiastic but undiscriminating
dachshund that followed me home last week, I'm proud to announce Parrot 3.0.0,
also known as "Beef Stew", or at the insistence of a shadowy government
organization, "Snowflake".  Parrot (http://parrot.org) is a virtual machine
that dreams about running all dynamic languages everywhere, even the one
you're think about right now.  Parrot has big plans, even if needs a haircut
and sometimes goes outside with its shoes untied.

Parrot 3.0.0 is available from an Internet near you.  Instructions on fetching
and building are at http://parrot.org/download, or you can go directly to
http://ftp.parrot.org/releases/stable/3.0.0/ and grab it there.  As a special
incentive, the first 255 downloaders will receive a limited-edition byte
autographed by John de Lancie.   If you're interested in helping improve
Parrot or if you just happen to find a misplaced lolcat in our documentation,
you can fork Parrot on GitHub at http://github.com/parrot/parrot and send us
your fix as a pull request.  Please be aware that due to our stringent
security policy, we are not able to accept malicious pull requests with the
evil bit set.  If you would like to submit a malicious pull request, please
verify that the evil bit has not been set.

Here are some highlights from this release:
- Core
   + A new embedding API is available in "parrot/api.h" and documented in
     docs/pdd/pdd10_embedding.pod .
   + Packfile PMCs were refactored and can now be used to produce runnable
     bytecode.
   + Packfile manipulation code now throws embedder-friendly exceptions rather
     than printing error details directly to stderr.
   + Unicode support for file IO, environment variables, program names, and
     command-line parameters was improved.
   + An experimental gdb pretty-printers in tools/dev for Parrot STRINGs and
     PMCs is now available.  (gdb 7.2 or later and Python are required)
   + c2str.pl and pmc2c.pl improvements result in a noticeably faster build.
   + Bugs in our Digest::sha256 library and bit-related dynamic ops were fixed
     by GCI student Nolan Lum. Both now work correctly on 32 and 64 bit
     systems.
- Languages
   + Ωη;)XD - OMeta for Winxed https://github.com/plobsing/ohm-eta-wink-kzd
- Community
   + tree-optimization by GSoC student Tyler L. Curtis joined the nest and now
     lives at http://github.com/parrot/tree-optimization .
   + Plumage now lives at http://github.com/parrot/plumage and is installable.
   + Christmas went as scheduled.  The Parrot team does not take credit for
     this event.
- Documentation
   + HTML documentation generation has been rewritten and greatly simplified.
   + We have improved documentation in docs/project/git_workflow.pod about
     keeping a fork of parrot.git in sync.
   + Translations of our README in various languages are now in the
     docs/translation directory, thanks to Google Code-In students.
- Tests
   + A better way to write "todo" tests with Parrot's Test::More was implemented
     by GCI student Fernando Brito.
   + Major increases in test coverage of many core PMCs, dynamic PMCs and
     dynamic opcodes resulted from GCI and the intrepid students it attracted.
   + Jonathan "Duke" Leto set up Debian Linux x86_64 and sparc32 smokers
     in the GCC Compile Farm, which continually submit smoke reports with
     a variety of configuration options and compilers.  Thanks, GCC!
   + Makefile dependency checking is now automatically tested, resulting in a
     more reliable parallel build.
   + Coverage tests were improved for platforms with and without Devel::Cover.

Many thanks to all our contributors for making this release possible and to
our sponsors for supporting this project.  Special thanks go out to Peter
Lobsinger and his language Ωη;)XD for breaking nearly everything it touches by
mere virtue of its name.  Our next scheduled release, 3.1.0, is scheduled for
February 15th, 2011 and will most likely not be named "Snowflake".

Thanks are due to the following people who made Parrot 3.0.0 happen.
Contributors marked with "(gci)" made contributions as part of Google Code-In.
  We're grateful to Google for sponsoring GCI and providing us with a small
army of energetic and highly capable minions.

Andrew Whitworth, Andy Dougherty, Andy Lester, Bob Rogers, Christoph Otto,
Daniel Arbelo, Daniel Kang (gci), Daniel Toma, David Czech (gci), Fernando
Brito (gci), François Perrad, Gerd Pokorra, Jim Keenan, Jonathan "Duke" Leto,
Julian Albo, Léo Grange (gci), Mariano Wahlmann, Matt Rajca (gci), Michael H.
Hind, Natan Yellin (gci), Nick Wellnhofer, Nolan Lum (gci), Paul Johnson,
Peter Lobsinger, Tony Young (gci), Vasily Chekalkin, Will Coleda

Enjoy!
0
christoph
1/18/2011 10:13:17 AM
perl.perl6.internals 7376 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Parrot 0.3.0 "Alex" Released!
On behalf of the Parrot team I'm proud to announce the release of Parrot 0.3.0. I'd like to thank all involved people as well as our sponsors for supporting us. What is Parrot? Parrot is a virtual machine aimed at running Perl6 and other dynamic languages. Parrot 0.3.0 changes and news - New calling conventions implemented: see PDD03 for details - Merge multiple Parrot bytecode (PBC) files into a singe PBC file - 'make smoke' target going beta - bc now supports if statements, comparison ops, prefix inc/dec - ParTcl adds [lassign], [switch] (partially); [expr]...

Parrot 7.0.0 "Crimson Shining Parrot" released!
"We'll show him! We'll show them *all*!" "Okay," said Susan, "that was *definitely* evil -" "No," said Lavender, "that's a Chaos Legion motto, actually. Only she didn't do the insane laughter." "That's right," Tracey said, her voice low and grim. "This time I'm not laughing." The girl went on stalking through the corridor, like she had dramatic music accompanying her that only she could hear. (Hermione was starting to worry about what *exactly* the impressionable youths of the Chaos Le...

Parrot 7.0.0 "Crimson Shining Parrot" released!
"We'll show him! We'll show them *all*!" "Okay," said Susan, "that was *definitely* evil -" "No," said Lavender, "that's a Chaos Legion motto, actually. Only she didn't do the insane laughter." "That's right," Tracey said, her voice low and grim. "This time I'm not laughing." The girl went on stalking through the corridor, like she had dramatic music accompanying her that only she could hear. (Hermione was starting to worry about what *exactly* the impressionable youths of the Chaos Le...

Parrot 5.3.0 "W00tstock Parrot" Released!
We are stardust. Billion year old carbon. We are golden. Caught in the devil's bargain And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden. (To some semblance of a garden.) -- "Woodstock", by Joni Mitchell On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 5.3.0, also = known as "W00tstock Parrot". Parrot (http://parrot.org/) is a virtual machine = aimed at running all dynamic languages, and currently focusing on Perl 6. Parrot 5.3.0 is available on Parrot's FTP site (ftp://ftp.parrot.org/pub/parrot/releases/devel/5.3.0/), or by fo...

Parrot 0.6.3 "Beautiful Parrot" Released!
Greetings, On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 0.6.3 "Beautiful Parrot." Parrot (http://parrotcode.org/) is a virtual machine aimed at running all dynamic languages. Parrot 0.6.3 is available via CPAN (soon), or follow the download instructions at http://parrotcode.org/source.html. For those who would like to develop on Parrot, or help develop Parrot itself, we recommend using Subversion on the source code repository to get the latest and best Parrot code. Parrot 0.6.3 News: - Specification + updated pdd09_gc.pod - Languages + Cardin...

Parrot 0.5.3 "Way of the Parrot" released!
On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 0.5.3 "Way of the Parrot." Parrot (http://parrotcode.org/) is a virtual machine aimed at running all dynamic languages. Parrot 0.5.3 can be obtained via CPAN (soon), or follow the download instructions at http://parrotcode.org/source.html. For those who would like to develop on Parrot, or help develop Parrot itself, we recommend using Subversion or SVK on the source code repository to get the latest and best Parrot code. Parrot 0.5.3 highlights: The Perl 6 on Parrot compiler has now been given the name &q...

Parrot 3.3.0 "Fire in the Sky" Released!
Nor is there any embarrassment in the fact that we're ridiculous, isn't it true? For it's actually so, we are ridiculous, light-minded, with bad habits, we're bored, we don't know how to look, how to understand, we're all like that, all, you, and I, and they! Now, you're not offended when I tell you to your face that you're ridiculous? And if so, aren't you material? You know, in my opinion it's sometimes even good to be ridiculous, if not better: we can the sooner forgive each other, the sooner humble ourselves; we...

Parrot 0.0.11 "Doubloon" Released!
At long last, Parrot-0.0.11 "Doubloon" has been released! This release features direct generation of executable binaries, dramatically improved documentation, and a built-in bread maker! Get it while it's hot at <http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/S/SF/SFINK/parrot-0.0.11.tar.gz>, or join the party by getting the latest CVS checkout by following the directions at <http://dev.perl.org/cvs/>. Enhancements in 0.0.11 include: - Executable output - Dynamic PMC registration - Trial exception system - Beginnings of object system - Iterators - Ordered has...

Parrot 4.0.0 "Hyperstasis" released!
At one extreme, it is possible to approach the subject on a high mathematical epsilon-delta level, which generally results in many undergraduate students not knowing what's going on. At the other extreme, it is possible to wave away all the subtleties until neither the student nor the teacher knows what's going on. -Stanley J. Farlow, Preface to Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 4.0.0, also known as "Hyperstasis". Parrot (http://parrot.org/) is a virtual machine aimed at ru...

Parrot 0.2.0 "NLnet" Released!
Parrot 0.2.0 "NLnet" Released! On behalf of the Parrot team I'm proud to announce the release of Parrot 0.2.0 and I'd like to thank all involved pepole as well as our sponsors for supporting us. It's a pleasure and honor for me to be able to advertise (after 0.1.0) the next leap release 0.2.0 with almost complete MMD support. What is Parrot? Parrot is a virtual machine aimed at running Perl6 and other dynamic languages. Parrot 0.2.0 changes and news * parrot repository is now under subversion * MMD (Multi Method Dispatch) refactored * new unary and...

Parrot 0.4.0 "Luthor" Released!
On behalf of the Parrot team I'm proud to announce another major release of Parrot. More than 530 svn checkins and 1000 added tests by numerous folks bump up the version to 0.4.0. I'd like to thank all involved people as well as our sponsors for supporting us. What is Parrot? Parrot is a virtual machine aimed at running Perl6 and other dynamic languages, see <http://www.parrotcode.org/> for more information. Parrot 0.4.0 changes and news - New lexical handling and closure support including better introspection for caller and outer - PGE (Parrot Grammar Engin...

Parrot 2.0.0 "Inevitable" Released!
The Beyond and below are like a deep of ocean, and we the creatures that swim in the abyss. We're so far down that the beings on the surface -- superior though they are -- can't effectively reach us. Oh, they fish, and they sometimes blight the upper levels with points we don't even understand. But the abyss remains a relatively safe place. -- Vernor Vinge, A Fire Upon the Deep On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 2.0.0 "Inevitable." Parrot (http://parrot.org/) is a virtual machine aimed at running all d...

Parrot 4.3.0 "In Which..." Released!
On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 4.3.0, also known as "In Which...". Parrot (http://parrot.org/) is a virtual machine aimed at running all dynamic languages. Parrot 4.3.0 is available on Parrot's FTP site (ftp://ftp.parrot.org/pub/parrot/releases/stable/4.3.0/), or by following the download instructions at http://parrot.org/download. For those who would like to develop on Parrot, or help develop Parrot itself, we recommend using Git to retrieve the source code to get the latest and best Parrot code. Parrot 4.3.0 News: - Core...

Parrot 0.5.0 "Caulked Snack" released!
Jack had avoided looking into his sons' faces during this Oration, because he reckoned they'd not wish to be seen with tears streaming down their faces. But looking up at Jimmy now he saw dry eyes and a quizzical if impatient phizz. Turning the other way, he saw Danny gazing distractedly at the White Tower. .... "Before you embark on a new life overseas, assuming that is your fate," Jack said, "find Eliza and tell her she is my true love." And then he jerked the chains loose from the restraining grip of first Jimmy, then Danny. He leaned forwa...

Web resources about - Parrot 3.0.0 "Beef Stew" Released - perl.perl6.internals