Mode a la mode

There is a general inconsistency about file permissions throughout the
parrot tree.

Of the 80+ *.pl scripts, only 8 are 0755 - and Configure.pl isn't one of
them. Some tests are, some aren't; and even some docs are.  A list
follows.

Personally, I don't care what mode you make them, although (unless
you're rewriting the shebang lines) you'd be making an assumption
that /usr/bin/perl exists.

.../ops2c.pl
.../ops2pm.pl
.../optimizer.pl
.../icu/source/configure
.../icu/source/install-sh
.../icu/source/runConfigureICU
.../tools/dev/manicheck.pl
.../tools/dev/parrot_coverage.pl
.../tools/dev/run_indent.pl
.../docs/dev/dod.dev
.../docs/dev/rx.dev
.../languages/cola/examples/life.cola
.../languages/cola/examples/expressions.cola
.../languages/cola/examples/oop.cola
.../languages/cola/colac
.../languages/miniperl/mpc
.../languages/scheme/schemec
.../languages/scheme/t/arith/nested.t
.../languages/scheme/t/arith/basic.t
.../languages/scheme/t/arith/logic.t
.../languages/scheme/t/harness
.../languages/scheme/t/io/basic.t
.../languages/scheme/t/logic/basic.t
.../languages/perl6/t/parser/apoc1.t
.../languages/perl6/t/parser/basic.t
.../languages/perl6/t/parser/error.t
.../languages/perl6/t/parser/exe2.t
.../languages/perl6/t/parser/exe3.t
.../languages/perl6/t/parser/exe4.t
.../languages/perl6/t/parser/similar.t
.../languages/perl6/t/parser/speed.t
.../languages/perl6/t/harness
.../languages/perl6/mkdistro.sh
.../languages/perl6/perl6
.../languages/perl6/prd-perl6.pl
.../languages/converter.pl
.../t/op/debuginfo.t
.../t/op/hacks.t
.../t/op/interp.t
.../t/op/gc.t
.../t/op/trans.t

--
Bryan C. Warnock
bwarnock@(gtemail.net|raba.com)

Bryan C. Warnock writes:
>There is a general inconsistency about file permissions throughout the
>parrot tree.
>
>Of the 80+ *.pl scripts, only 8 are 0755 - and Configure.pl isn't one of
>them. Some tests are, some aren't; and even some docs are.  A list
>follows.

These have to be fixed in the repository.

If someone makes a decision as to what they should be, let me know,
and I'll tweak.

-R

0
rspier
8/29/2002 8:22:35 PM
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Robert Spier wrote:

> Bryan C. Warnock writes:
> >There is a general inconsistency about file permissions throughout the
> >parrot tree.
> >
> >Of the 80+ *.pl scripts, only 8 are 0755 - and Configure.pl isn't one of
> >them. Some tests are, some aren't; and even some docs are.  A list
> >follows.
>
> These have to be fixed in the repository.
>
> If someone makes a decision as to what they should be, let me know,
> and I'll tweak.

Apart from Configure.pl, I'd tend to favor leaving the ones that are
invoked as part of the build/test process without execute permission.
That way, folks are forced to write $(PERL) script.pl in makefiles instead
of just ./script.pl.  There's no guarantee that #!/usr/bin/perl (or any
variation) is the correct perl version to invoke. It's quite possible
(indeed probably reasonably common) for Parrot developers to have more
than one version of perl available.  It's important that all parts of
parrot be built with the same version, otherwise chaos can ensue.  Just
yesterday, I submitted a bunch of makefile patches addressing this very
issue.

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu
    Dept. of Physics