Compiler Toolkit

Figured I'd brush up on the compiler toolkit described at http://www.parrot=
blog.org/2008/03/targeting-parrot-vm.html=0A=0AIt appears to be out of date=
...  For example, you cannot run 'make test'.  Reading the README which is ge=
nerated with 'perl tools/dev/mk_language_shell.pl SomeLang' doesn't help be=
cause it refers me to non-existent files.  Anyone know about about this are=
a and can fix up a few things so people can dive back into writing compiler=
s?=0A=0A =0ACheers,=0AOvid=0A--=0ABuy the book         - http://www.oreilly=
...com/catalog/perlhks/=0ATech blog            - http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/jo=
urnal/=0ATwitter              - http://twitter.com/OvidPerl=0AOfficial Perl=
 6 Wiki - http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl6=0A

0
publiustemp
11/24/2009 2:52:34 PM
perl.perl6.internals 7376 articles. 0 followers. Follow

----- Original Message ----=0A=0A> From: Fran=E7ois Perrad <francois.perrad=
@gadz.org>=0A=0A> the mantra is :=0A> $ parrot setup.pir=0A> $ parrot setup=
...pir test=0A=0AAfter successfully building and installing Parrot on my Mac,=
 the "parrot setup.pir" still fails badly.=0A=0Aparrot $ parrot --version=
=0AThis is Parrot version 1.8.0-devel built for i386-darwin.=0ACopyright (C=
) 2001-2009, Parrot Foundation.=0A=0AThis code is distributed under the ter=
ms of the Artistic License 2.0.=0AFor more details, see the full text of th=
e license in the LICENSE file=0Aincluded in the Parrot source tree.=0A=0Apa=
rrot  $ perl tools/dev/mk_language_shell.pl checkit=0Acreating checkit/=0Ac=
reating checkit/README=0Acreating checkit/Configure.pir=0Acreating checkit/=
setup.pir=0Acreating checkit/PARROT_REVISION=0Ano ops: skipping checkit/src=
/ops/Makefile.in=0Ano pmc: skipping checkit/src/pmc/Makefile.in=0Acreating =
checkit/Makefile.in=0Ano doc: skipping checkit/doc/checkit.pod=0Ano doc: sk=
ipping checkit/doc/running.pod=0Ano dynext: skipping checkit/dynext/.ignore=
=0Acreating checkit/checkit/=0Acreating checkit/checkit/.ignore=0Acreating =
checkit/checkit.pir=0Acreating checkit/src/=0Acreating checkit/src/checkit.=
pir=0Acreating checkit/src/parser/=0Acreating checkit/src/parser/grammar.pg=
=0Acreating checkit/src/parser/grammar-oper.pg=0Acreating checkit/src/parse=
r/actions.pm=0Ano pmc: skipping checkit/src/pmc/checkit.pmc=0Ano ops: skipp=
ing checkit/src/ops/checkit.ops=0Acreating checkit/src/builtins.pir=0Acreat=
ing checkit/src/builtins/=0Acreating checkit/src/builtins/say.pir=0Acreatin=
g checkit/t/=0Acreating checkit/t/00-sanity.t=0Aparrot  $ cd checkit/=0Ache=
ckit  $ ls=0AConfigure.pir   PARROT_REVISION checkit         setup.pir     =
  t=0AMakefile.in     README          checkit.pir     src=0Acheckit  $ parr=
ot setup.pir =0A/usr/local/bin/parrot=0A/usr/local/lib/parrot/1.8.0-devel/l=
ibrary/PGE/Perl6Grammar.pbc=0A--output=3Dsrc/gen_grammar.pir  src/parser/gr=
ammar.pg=0Asrc/parser/grammar-oper.pg=0A/usr/local/bin/parrot=0A/usr/local/=
lib/parrot/1.8.0-devel/languages/nqp/nqp.pbc --target=3Dpir=0A--output=3Dsr=
c/gen_actions.pir  src/parser/actions.pm=0A/usr/local/bin/parrot -o xyz/xyz=
...pbc src/xyz.pir=0AError reading source file src/xyz.pir.=0A/usr/local/bin/=
parrot -o xyz.pbc xyz.pir=0AError reading source file xyz.pir.=0A/usr/local=
/bin/pbc_to_exe xyz.pbc --install=0AUnable to open filehandle from path 'xy=
z.pbc'=0Acurrent instr.: 'generate_code_gcc' pc 496 (tools/dev/pbc_to_exe.p=
ir:298)=0Acalled from Sub 'main' pc -1 ((unknown file):-1)=0Astrip installa=
ble_xyz=0Astrip: can't open file: installable_xyz (No such file or director=
y)=0A=0A =0ACheers,=0AOvid=0A--=0ABuy the book         - http://www.oreilly=
...com/catalog/perlhks/=0ATech blog            - http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/jo=
urnal/=0ATwitter              - http://twitter.com/OvidPerl=0AOfficial Perl=
 6 Wiki - http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl6

0
publiustemp
11/24/2009 3:42:45 PM
HI,
I authored the thing, but dont' have time and tuits to update it,
unfortunately, sorry.

I think pmichaud was planning to write a new tutorial. we should
consider whether it's worth the effort to update the old one. If so,
the best way would be to go through each episode, and see what
changed, and change that accordingly.

sorry again, but I'm up the walls for the next few months due to deadlines.

cheers,
kjs

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Ovid
<publiustemp-perl6internals2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Figured I'd brush up on the compiler toolkit described at http://www.parr=
otblog.org/2008/03/targeting-parrot-vm.html

> It appears to be out of date.. =A0For example, you cannot run 'make test'=
.. =A0Reading the README which is generated with 'perl tools/dev/mk_language=
_shell.pl SomeLang' doesn't help because it refers me to non-existent files=
.. =A0Anyone know about about this area and can fix up a few things so peopl=
e can dive back into writing compilers?

> Cheers,
> Ovid
> --
> Buy the book =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - http://www.oreilly..com/catalog/perlhks/
> Tech blog =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0- http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/
> Twitter =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0- http://twitter.com/OvidPerl
> Official Perl 6 Wiki - http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl6

0
parrotcode

perl6 compiler
Hello, I had just began looking at the perl6 raduko compiler and have a question. Is perl6 actually compiled then ran similar to java or is the script ran and then compiled at run time? -Wendell On Mar 14, 2010, at 11:09 AM, dell wrote: > Is perl6 actually compiled then ran similar to java > or is the script ran and then compiled at run time? It supports either, but defaults to single-step compile-run (like Perl 5). I think that a transparent cache is envisioned for the future, so that a compiled version is silently saved during the first compil...

perl6-compiler
perl6-compiler is missing at http://dev.perl.org/perl6/lists/ and it seems not to be gatewayed to nntp.perl.org. OTOH a lot of unused perl6 lists and newsgroups are there. Finally I tried to subscribe already twice and got no answer. Thanks, leo http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl6.compiler -- It's there. Correct, though, that it's not listed on the lists page... On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:02:23 +0200, Leopold Toetsch <lt@toetsch.at> wrote: > perl6-compiler is missing at http://dev.perl.org/perl6/lists/ and it > seems not to be gatewayed to nntp.perl...

to compile or not to compile ?
Hi I've been dabbling with  .net but am now trying to bite the bullet and learn it moving from classic asp I am a bit confused as to wether it is 'standard' practise to 'build' your project into dll's and upload these to the server or wether to simply use script and upload as you would classic asp to the server. what is 'standard' practise is there an advantage or disadvantage to using script / compiling thanks What is "Standard" depends a bit upon the tool you are using. For VS.NET 2003, compiling into a dll placed in the bin folder is the default behavior.  Othe...

C++ 2009 Internal Compiler Error compiling Xerces 2_8
Trying to compile Xerces 2_8, and getting an F1004 Internal Compiler Error. It's blowing up building XMLUTF8Transcoder.cpp at line 425. QC entry: http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=67088 In article <19950@forums.codegear.com>, Sean Hoffman <seanhoffREMOVE@hotmail.complease.remove.this.part> wrote: > Trying to compile Xerces 2_8, and getting an F1004 Internal Compiler > Error. > > > It's blowing up building XMLUTF8Transcoder.cpp at line 425. > > QC entry: http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=67088 I have so...

Internal Compiler Error when compiling 1.8.0 Branch
Hi all: I am working with the MOZILLA_1_8_0_BRANCH and faced some compilation issues. -- Environment Fedora Core 5 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 gcc version 4.1.0 20060304 (Red Hat 4.1.0-3) Intel Celeron 1.8GHz 1GB DDR RAM -- # # 2006-08-10 # checkout script # export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot export BRANCH=MOZILLA_1_8_0_BRANCH cvs co -r $BRANCH mozilla/client.mk cd mozilla gmake -f client.mk checkout MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser -- # # 2006-08-10 # mozconfig file setting. # export MOZCONFIG=/hack/mozilla/mozilla/mozconfig.fi...

Internal compiler error
For the project I'm working on beeing used the 6th version of C++ Builder. There were the project copies that could be compiled successfully but when I've made a new copy that's required for me I get an error with the following message: [C++ Fatal Error] Project1.cpp(289): F1004 Internal compiler error at 0xcaff8e with base 0xc10000 I've tryed many things, I've reproduced all compiler settings but I've not succeded to cope with the problem. The error still occurs. May be I need some newer version but I'm not sure about its complete compatibility. Especialy 'ca...

cannot install perl6 compiler
ok I'm trying to install rakudo-star-2010.07 which I got from git hub http://github.com/downloads/rakudo/star/rakudo-star-2010.07.tar.gz and I get this error when I try to run perl Configure.pl --gen-parrot Reading configuration information from install/bin/parrot_config ... ===SORRY!=== Parrot revision r48225 required (currently r0) To automatically build the version of Parrot that came with this distribution (), try re-running Configure.pl with the '--gen-parrot' option. Or, use the '--parrot-config' option to explicitly specify the location of pa...

Internals of AJAX toolkit
We have been using our own (non fancy) ajax framework till now. Now that Microsoft itself published these controls I thought of checking them out. The first thing is the much talked about UpdatePanel. I noticed when some client interaction happens the Panel actually calls the Page_Load event every time including initialization of variables. It basically loads the entire code behind page (class) instead of just calling the method which should have been written to be self sufficient like a Web Method in web services. This is like let the server reload the page but the client will get o...

[svn:parrot-pdd] r32941
Author: coke Date: Thu Nov 20 08:20:24 2008 New Revision: 32941 Modified: trunk/docs/pdds/pdd19_pir.pod Changes in other areas also in this revision: Modified: trunk/DEPRECATED.pod trunk/compilers/imcc/imcc.l trunk/compilers/imcc/imcc.y trunk/compilers/imcc/imclexer.c trunk/compilers/imcc/imcparser.c trunk/compilers/imcc/pbc.c trunk/compilers/imcc/unit.h trunk/compilers/pct/src/POST/Compiler.pir trunk/compilers/pct/src/POST/Node.pir trunk/editor/pir-mode.el trunk/editor/pir_vim.in trunk/include/parrot/sub.h trunk/languages/perl6/...

Compiling Perl6 code to bytecode
Hello, I recently got interested in Perl 6, installed Parrot 2.0.0 and Rakudo 2010-01. Running the code works fine: $ cat hello.pl say "Hello, world!" $ parrot /usr/lib/parrot/2.0.0/languages/perl6/perl6.pbc hello.pl Hello, world! However, compiling the code for later use makes problems: $ perl6 --target=pir hello.pl > hello.pir $ parrot /usr/lib/parrot/2.0.0/languages/perl6/perl6.pbc hello.pir Confused at line 2, near "\"perl6\"\n\n." in Main (file <unknown>, line <unknown>) I tried to ask for help on #perl6 on freenode, and th...

compiled vs. not-compiled
are there any benefits of having the code behinds compiled? I am not sure about the performance improvement. but I find it extremely troublesome when modifying codes. 1. If i want to modify one line of code in a 100 page project, I have to re-compile the whole project. This just doesn't make any sense. 1.1 replacing the current .dll file will reset all the sessions 1.2 vs.net does NOT automatically check in the .dll files from sourcesafe 1.21 do i have to deploy the .dll files to production folder??? there's got to be an easier way. 1.22 che...

perl6-internals-unicode request
Dan, I've finally woken up and I now have 8 RFCs on Unicode handling[1] I'm about to throw at the librarian. While I'm perfectly happy to have them disgust (sic.) here, I think it might be sensible to start up a WG for discussing Unicode Things. I'm even fool enough to volunteer to chair it if you like. What do you want to do? Simon [1] Don't tell anyone about the 26 RFCs that aren't on Unicode handling... -- Old Japanese proverb: There are two kinds of fools -- those who never climb Mt. Fuji, and those who climb it twice. At 09:34 AM 9/25/00 ...

Internal Compiler error, Any ideas
Hi: When trying to compile a project, I get the following error: [BCC32 Error] functional(425): F1004 Internal compiler error at 0x5fdd1cd with base 0x5f80000 Any ideas why this has happened, and how to fix this. Sean. In article <830@forums.codegear.com>, Sean Farrow <sean.farrow@seanfarrow.co.uk> wrote: > [BCC32 Error] functional(425): F1004 Internal compiler error at 0x5fdd1cd > with base 0x5f80000 > Any ideas why this has happened, and how to fix this. This is absolutely a bug in the compiler. Which version of bcc are you using? (bcc32 --version o...

Updates to perl6/pge compiler
For those who have not been following along closely in the Parrot repository, the languages/perl6/ directory contains the fledgling beginnings of an entirely Parrot-based compiler for Perl 6. It's able to parse and execute most expressions and some simple statements, and will likely expand rapidly in the coming days and weeks. The previous version was able to do simple lexicals, but I'm in the process of re-working that logic at the moment. For those who have been following along, I've just checked in some changes (r12488) that cause the compilation sequence to more...

Web resources about - Compiler Toolkit - perl.perl6.internals

Compiler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , or external linking . The most common reason for wanting to transform source code is to create an executable program. The name "compiler" ...

Compiler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Compile" and "compiling" redirect here. For the software company, see Compile (publisher) . For other uses, see Compilation . This article has ...

Facebook Open-Sources HipHop PHP Compiler Software
Earlier this morning, Facebook officially made their new PHP “compiler,” called HipHop, available as open source software. In the blog post by ...

Art in the Age of Matter Compilers
jurvetson posted a photo: Sheba may be the harbinger of art in the digital age — a mathematical sculptor with digital matter. She manipulates ...

Interpreters and Compilers (Bits and Bytes, Episode 6) - YouTube
This animation explains the difference between interpreters and compilers. It is from Episode 6 of the classic 1983 television series, Bits and ...

Typesafe cofounder forking Scala compiler
The main contributor to the Scala compiler, Paul Phillips, has announced on GitHub that he is forking the compiler to “fix some of the innumerable ...

Does Apple's new developer agreement ban Adobe's Flash-to-iPhone compiler?
Given that any kind of formal truce between Apple and Adobe was essentially blown out of the water by Steve Job's very public slating of Flash ...

Apple seeds devs with Safari 5.2 for Lion, Xcode 4.4 with new LLVM compiler
... to the general public this summer. Among the new features: According to Apple, Xcode 4.4 includes an editor for Collada 3D files, compiler support ...

NVIDIA and Continuum Analytics Announce NumbaPro, A Python CUDA Compiler
... are announcing that they are bringing Python support to CUDA. Specifically, Continuum Analytics’ will be introducing a new Python CUDA compiler, ...

IntelliJ Releases IDEA 12, Brings Improved UI, New Compiler Mode, Android UI Designer, And More
I'm not going to pretend to be a developer here, and I'll openly admit that the bulk of what IDEA 12 does is over my head. However, I do understand ...