Net::Ftp use proxy?

When cpan goes to do a "get", it first says LWP not available,
then tries NET::Ftp (which failes because it is behind
a FW and needs to use ftp_proxy) and finally lynx.  Lynx works
(fortunately).

Should Net:Ftp be able to use my "ftp_proxy" set in the
environment?

0
cygwin
2/19/2005 10:33:03 PM
perl.module-authors 1604 articles. 0 followers. Follow

http is more robust over a proxy

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:33:03 -0800, Linda W <cygwin@tlinx.org> wrote:

> When cpan goes to do a "get", it first says LWP not available,
> then tries NET::Ftp (which failes because it is behind
> a FW and needs to use ftp_proxy) and finally lynx.  Lynx works
> (fortunately).
>
> Should Net:Ftp be able to use my "ftp_proxy" set in the
> environment?
0
davidnicol
2/20/2005 2:57:41 AM
Linda W wrote:
> When cpan goes to do a "get", it first says LWP not available,
> then tries NET::Ftp (which failes because it is behind
> a FW and needs to use ftp_proxy) and finally lynx.  Lynx works
> (fortunately).
> Should Net:Ftp be able to use my "ftp_proxy" set in the
> environment?

Note that you need to set "ftp_firewall" if you have a true FTP
firewall, or more likely if you're setting something like
ftp_proxy=http://proxy:3128/, then you actually need to talk *HTTP*
to the proxy.  Net::FTP can't do that itself, but LWP should DTRT
once it's installed.
--
Sam Vilain, sam /\T vilain |><>T net, PGP key ID: 0x05B52F13
(include my PGP key ID in personal replies to avoid spam filtering)

Sam Vilain wrote:
> Note that you need to set "ftp_firewall" if you have a true FTP
> firewall, or more likely if you're setting something like
> ftp_proxy=http://proxy:3128/
---
	Yep.

>  Net::FTP can't do that itself, but LWP should DTRT
> once it's installed.
===
Yeah, was having trouble getting LWP to install on a cygwin build.
They've changed directory structures since they started and that
messed some things up with me having old config values in MyConfig--
and I still can't get Win32 to build on cygwin-on-Win32 (I just wanted
to play with the registry).

Might it not be "useful" if Net::FTP could use an ftp_proxy, transparently,
if one was set in the environment?

Rumor has it that it is fixed "next release" of Win32...

I was thinking it might be nice to have the Win32 modules build
on linux for use in Wine type environments...

Unlike most people in the linux world, I don't think the concept of
a single per-user/per system registry would be a bad thing if done
right -- all the little config files/rc files sitting around on volumes
with large allocation block sizes and wasting a large amount of
filespace...  If done "right", could make moving setups between systems
easier...

-linda
0
cygwin
2/21/2005 3:06:52 AM
Linda W wrote:
> Might it not be "useful" if Net::FTP could use an ftp_proxy, transparently,
> if one was set in the environment?

Net::FTP couldn't provide its entire API if proxied; after all, the proxy
is pretty-printing the directories into HTML so they look nice in a browser.
Just ask the authors of NcFTP why they don't support HTTP proxies :).

Note that LWP::UserAgent can fetch FTP URLs transparently using whatever
environment proxies are defined, if any.  If you're using an FTP server as
if it were an HTTP server, it makes sense to use an HTTP interface.

Than again, maybe the author will disagree with me and add the feature,
who knows :).

> Unlike most people in the linux world, I don't think the concept of
> a single per-user/per system registry would be a bad thing if done
> right -- all the little config files/rc files sitting around on volumes
> with large allocation block sizes and wasting a large amount of
> filespace...  If done "right", could make moving setups between systems
> easier...

You'll hurt your head thinking about that for too long.  The technical
inefficiency really isn't the issue at all, and in fact if you're on a
real OS then it isn't even inefficient.

UNIX does have a registry.  It's called /etc and ~/.*, the problem is
that after 30+ years of text file config formats, we've decided we still
love text files but we don't like the differences in their format.  If
you want to ease the standardisation of these things then just use YAML
for your next config format, and be done with it.  If YAML were to become
best practice for a configuration file format, you could present them
with an API that looked like a registry anyway.  The idiosynchronacies
would still be there but the solutions should proliferate.

Such a change will take a long time to get right, I think most people
will agree that many of the benefits arising from a convention regarding
making configuration files homogenous in a way that is almost, but not
entirely, quite unlike a registry is probably worth it in the long run
- but it will be a slow, slow process.

Maybe if you write a nice generic cross-platform GUI YAML config editor
for YAML dotfiles that applications can provide custom extension dialogs
for, then you will have something control-panel like for conforming
applications.  The idea is that it's trivial for application authors to
supply the information used to build the GUIs, and possibly even plug
their own components in.

Actually, such an idea would naturally need to have alternate UI support,
a bit like Debconf I guess - but be warned, and people who call this
flamebait can be damned - Joey Hess' code is not to be taken as a good
example for style.  Seeing main loops like this;

    1 while $debconf->communicate();

Make me want to shoot the author on grounds of inapproprate public
displays of self-affection.  Besides, debconf is combined in unholy
matrimony with the system packager, and focuses on a different set of
goals.

And whatever you do, don't call it a registry, you'll hit a sore spot on
lots of people ;)
--
Sam Vilain, sam /\T vilain |><>T net, PGP key ID: 0x05B52F13
(include my PGP key ID in personal replies to avoid spam filtering)
0
sam

automatic FTP not using NET:FTP module
Hi, I have to automate ftp process using perl or shell scripts. At the moment I cannot install NET:FTP class. So any pointers for me on how do this. thanks, vas _______________________________________________________ Send a cool gift with your E-Card http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/ On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 10:20:58AM -0700, srinivas.s@excite.com wrote: > I have to automate ftp process using perl or shell scripts. At the moment I > cannot install NET:FTP class. So any pointers for me on how do this. Why can't you install Net::FTP? Really, it&#...

FTP not using NET:FTP module ... Why dose this work???
Hi Using Luke Bakkens reply >If you can't install Net::FTP, the following works with the ftp.exe >program on NT to get the file /tmp/frazzle in binary mode: > >open FTP, "> tmpftp.$$"; >print FTP <<EOF; >$username >$password >bin >get /tmp/frazzle >bye >EOF >close FTP >system "ftp -s:tmpftp.$$ $hostname"; >unlink tmpftp.$$ > >on unix, the system call would be this i believe: >system "ftp $hostname < tmpftp.$$"; > >good luck >Luke I went and did the following, but ...

use of modules with authorize.net
does anyone have sample code that would educate me on credit card processing with authorize.net? tia. Susanne wrote: > > does anyone have sample code that would educate me on credit card > processing with authorize.net? tia. try this module from cpan: http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Business-OnlinePayment-AuthorizeNet ...

Mulriple File Transfers using NET::FTP module...
Hello, Can someone out there help? I have written a small script below, to dowload files for an FTP server. I employed the NET::FTP module. Somehow I cannot find a command on NET::FTP that can allow mulriple file retieval using a wildcard or other. @rem = '--*-Perl-*-- @echo off if "%OS%" == "Windows_NT" goto WinNT perl -x -S "%0" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 goto endofperl :WinNT perl -x -S "%0" %* if NOT "%COMSPEC%" == "%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe" goto endofperl if %errorlevel% == 9009 echo You do not have Perl...

Is there a .NET component for use with Authorize.Net?
I am wanting to find a .NET dll for use with real-time online credit card processing with Authorize.net, does anyone know where I can locate one? I do not want to use the MS WinHTTP component. Thanks DotNetCharge - http://www.dotnetcharge.comDotNetNuke Core Architect So, in the Site Settings in DNN 2.1 you can specify a variety of Payment Processors but a quick look at the code makes it look like only paypal is actually supported. Am I missing something. Are there ways to tie into Authorize.net. Specifically I want to do it for membership services.David O'Learywww.EfficionConsulti...

ftp folder using asp.net(vb.net)
 can i ftp a folder to a server using asp.net? anyone? thanks  Yes, you can use one of the Ftp components available, or just use the WebClient classhttp://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2006/12/12/building-ftp-services-using-net-20.html -- "Mark As Answer" if my reply helped you -- Yes, you can do it.  You actually just grab all the files out of the folder and send them up. See this: http://forums.asp.net/p/1288676/2483713.aspx Jason...

RE: ftp w/o using Net::FTP
James P Donnelly <jpd4@cisunix.unh.edu> asked: > I am only trying to login into a server, travese to the > correct directory, dump a file and quit. I have hacked > together something that gets me to the server and > then it seems to hang at the login.. Has anyone written > something like > this w/o use of the module? Any insight would be very helpful > > Thanks -- Jim > > > $cmd = 'rftp'; > $rftp_commands = > "open > $fHost > $user > $...

How to configure proxy generated by VS.NET to use Proxy Server?
Is it possible to instruct the web service proxy code generated by VS.NET to use a proxy server for outbound traffic?  I'm pretty sure it is possible to manually edit the source code generated by VS.NET, but I don't want them to be overwritten everytime I sync with the WSDL.Thanks in advance.Jason Create a new derived class which inherits from proxy class and make all custom changes to the derived class.program against your derived class, that way where ever you will regenerate your proxy class, you changes in derived class will not be overriden.http://vikasnetdev.blogspot.c...

How to upload large files through FTP using Asp.net and VB.net
Hi, I want you to tell me that how can i upload the large files through FTP using asp.net and vb.net. I have developed a page where user can upload his/her file which is about 1-5 mb but if file size increase upto 50 mb then my page do not work. If i try so, then find the following error: The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log o...

using Net::FTP
I can get and put a file using Net::FTP if I know the name of the file. I need to be able to open a directory and get all the files in it, without knowing their names. Here is my code that 'almost' works. $ftp->cwd("webshare:available:") or die "Can't cwd to webshare:available:"; my @items = $ftp->ls("webshare:available:"); foreach my $f(@items) { print "This file is named " . $f; print "\n"; $ftp->get($f) or die "Can't get file."; } There are 2 files in the available direct...

SHould I use ftp proxy
Hello: I am wondering if I should continue to setup an ftp proxy on our BM38sp2a server. Currently I use filter exceptions (stateful for both ports 20 and 21) from the private to the public interface. This works great except that everyone inside the firewall has access. With a proxy I could limit access. Yesterday I tried to setup ftp proxy but with very limited success. I changed my ftp exceptions above to public to public, enabled the ftp proxy, and set authentication to none. With this setup I can browse ftp sites with ftp and http, but pure ftp clients will not connect. ...

Error in accessing one module in ASP.Net 2003(using VB.Net) application?
I have few modules in my ASP.Net 2003 application. One of these module is Mod_PingCheck.vb. It was working fine till yesterday. But today when I called it, its giving following error-------------------------------------------  An unhandled exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in mis.dll Additional information: The specified module could not be found. ------------------------------------------------------------------ My project name is MIS.  Does it mean that module is removed from my project. But I could see it in my project. Now what should I...

Create module using .NET ver 2.0 and use with DNN 2.1.2
Hi all, i would like to start to test the .NET 2.0 version of the framework ad i would like to know is there some problem if i write a module with the 2.0 version of .NET and use with DNN 2.1.2. Thanks Stefano...

Web resources about - Net::Ftp use proxy? - perl.module-authors