Re: INSTALLSCRIPT doesn't have 'site', 'vendor' values?

On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 01:54:22 GMT, ken@mathforum.org (Ken Williams) wrote
in news:814B3DD1-F061-11D6-AADE-003065F6D85A@mathforum.org:

> Hi,
>
> I notice the following in the MakeMaker docs (version 5.91_01):

Just FYI, ExtUtils::MakeMaker is up to current v 6.05 now. It is an easy
upgrade to do manually.

> I'm curious about why INST_SCRIPT doesn't have different values in the
> three columns.  Is this why things like LWP's "HEAD" script are
> installing to /usr/bin on OS X instead of to /usr/local/bin?

I recently noticed this too. My guess is that there is an assumption
that scripts are version-independent (or will take care of version
dependency by 'requiring' some version, I s'pose). Therefore no
alternative options are built in.

I am thinking that you might need to be reminded that INST_* isn't the
final destination of the file(s). INSTALL_* is. INST_* is where in the
build directory subtrees something will be put when one does `make'.

The perldoc for mm v6.05 says:

  The INSTALL... macros in turn default to their %Config
  ($Config{installprivlib}, $Config{installarchlib}, etc.)
  counterparts.

  You can check the values of these variables on your system
  with

	  perl '-V:install.*'

Arguing INSTALL_SCRIPT directly on the cmdline would seem to be the most
direct mechanism for determining where the script installs.

> In my case, I'm writing a prompt like the following, but I suspect
> there's a better way to get the destination directory so that the user
> could override it with INST_SCRIPT=/foo or something.  Is there some
> way to get this value from MakeMaker instead of from Config?
>
>    if (prompt("Do you want to install the command-line script
> 'categorizer' ".
>               "to $Config::Config{installscript}?", 'n') =~ /^y/i) {
>      $options{EXE_FILES} = [qw(eg/categorizer)];
>    }

Yeah, i don't know. There's no such thing as a persistent 'cache' of
installation default values kept by MakeMaker separately from the
Config.pm (except for a per-user "MyConfig.pm" IIRC, RTFM). You've read
and understood what to use PREFIX for? It seems to me that most people
need to use PREFIX to set a non-standard prefix-location. If your
Config.pm doesn't contain appropriate values for your system, OTOH, then
you may want to edit it. (I am avoiding commenting that it's odd for it
not to have appropriate values, because I come from Win32 which is where
this is the norm rather than a bizarre deviation).

All or any of my helpfully-intended comments may be a little or grossly
wrong. I just joined this Mailing List. But hopefully somehow i will
have helped.

   Best,
    Soren A
--
http://fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...
0

On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 14:15:21 GMT, soren_andersen@speedymail.org (Soren
Andersen) wrote in news:20021105141521.0B91F468BD8@server5.fastmail.fm:

> INSTALL_* is. INST_* is where in the build directory subtrees
> something will be put when one does `make'.

Yadayada, this isn't even right. It's INSTALL* where * is SCRIPT or
something. No _ underscore. Sorry.

   Soren A

--

                    --*perlspinr*--
**Helping to consume excess Internet bandwidth since 1996**

0
sorenNOT
11/5/2002 4:43:43 PM
On Tuesday, November 5, 2002, at 02:15  PM, Soren Andersen wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 01:54:22 GMT, ken@mathforum.org (Ken
> Williams) wrote
> in news:814B3DD1-F061-11D6-AADE-003065F6D85A@mathforum.org:
>
>> I'm curious about why INST_SCRIPT doesn't have different values in the
>> three columns.  Is this why things like LWP's "HEAD" script are
>> installing to /usr/bin on OS X instead of to /usr/local/bin?
>
> I recently noticed this too. My guess is that there is an assumption
> that scripts are version-independent (or will take care of version
> dependency by 'requiring' some version, I s'pose). Therefore no
> alternative options are built in.

It's not so much version issues I'm concerned about, it's the
separation of vendor-installed & user-installed scripts.  I see
that my Config.pm has these entries:

  installbin='/usr/bin'
  installscript='/usr/bin'
  installsitebin='/usr/local/bin'
  installvendorbin='/usr/local/bin'
  sitebin='/usr/local/bin'
  sitebinexp='/usr/local/bin'
  vendorbin='/usr/local/bin'
  vendorbinexp='/usr/local/bin'

On my machine, the "correct" place for user-installed
executables is /usr/local/bin, but unfortunately since there's
no such thing as an "installsitescript" Config entry, they get
shoved into /usr/bin, where they can (and do) clobber stuff that
Apple installed there.

> If your Config.pm doesn't contain appropriate values for your
> system, OTOH, then you may want to edit it.

I believe the above entries from my Config.pm are correct, but
there still doesn't seem to be any opportunity for MakeMaker to
install scripts to a site-specific directory.

Schwern, I know you've spend time thinking about these issues,
do you know why this is, and/or what should be done about it?

  -Ken

0
ken

INSTALLSCRIPT doesn't have 'site', 'vendor' values?
Hi, I notice the following in the MakeMaker docs (version 5.91_01): INSTALLDIRS set to perl site vendor PREFIX SITEPREFIX VENDORPREFIX INST_ARCHLIB INSTALLARCHLIB INSTALLSITEARCH INSTALLVENDORARCH INST_LIB INSTALLPRIVLIB INSTALLSITELIB INSTALLVENDORLIB INST_BIN INSTALLBIN INSTALLSITEBIN INSTALLVENDORBIN INST_SCRIPT INSTALLSCRIPT INSTALLSCRIPT INSTALLSCRIPT ...

''''''''''''''''''''

'''''

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
I'm attempting to invoke with parameters:  Dim thing2 As New mydelsubPBStep(AddressOf pbStep) Me.Invoke(thing2, "setMax", dt.Rows.Count)      <---- this is where the error occurs   the delegate looks like this: Private Delegate Sub mydelsubPBStep(ByVal mode As String, ByVal value As Integer)   the function it's calling looks like this:Private Sub pbStep(ByVal mode As String, ByVal value As Integer) Select Case mode.ToLower Case "clear" ProgressBar1.Value = 0 Case "step" ProgressBar1.PerformStep() L...

'''

'IN' Clause or 'OR'
Hello, [1]: select * from TABLEA where COL1 IN('value1','value2''valu3'....) [2]:select * from TABLEA where COL1 = 'value1' OR COL1= 'value2' OR COL1='valu3'. TABLEA is a huge table and it has non-clustered index on COL1. Among the above 2 queries, which query will give me the better performance or fast response and WHY? What is the difference between 'IN' and 'OR' clauses as for as Sybase Optimization is concerned. Which is the better one to be used on huge tables. Thanks. Mac An IN list is treated ...

'b'..'a'

'or' or 'union'

EXEC sp_msforeachtable 'sp_spaceused ''?'''
What does the following SQL code mean?  EXEC sp_msforeachtable 'sp_spaceused ''?'''Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". JohanNL:sp_msforeachtable This is the name of the SP that resides in the master database.  This SP executes one or more commands for a table. JohanNL:sp_spaceused This is the command that you want to run for each of the tables residing in your current database.  As you might have understood so far, that this is again a...

'To', 'CC', & 'BCC'
Name: Dick Tracy Email: philipdottracyatoptusnetdotcomdotau Product: Thunderbird Summary: 'To', 'CC', & 'BCC' Comments: I have just started using Thunderbird and while I find it quite excellent- I suggest having a button to add addressees to 'BCC' as well. Currently each 'BCC' addressee has to be selected manually. I send e-mail to quite a number of people at a time and I do not wish to readily spread others addresses easily. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0....

Why 'and' not '&&' ? (was Cleaning up 'uninitialized value')
> Use: > > if (@ARGV and -T $ARGV[0]) { ... } Just wondering if there is a reason for using the lower precedence 'and' here instead of '&&'? I haven't been finding many uses for 'and' which tells me I might not fully understand it. Thanks, Peter C. On May 30, Peter Cornelius said: >> if (@ARGV and -T $ARGV[0]) { ... } > >Just wondering if there is a reason for using the lower precedence 'and' >here instead of '&&'? I haven't been finding many uses for 'and' which >tells...

Web resources about - Re: INSTALLSCRIPT doesn't have 'site', 'vendor' values? - perl.makemaker