make Net::LDAP::LDIF more similar to Net::LDAP

Hi Graham, hi Chris, hi list,

I would like to rework Net::LDAP::LDIF a bit so that its API
resembles that of Net::LDAP a bit more while still keeping the
traditional API.

The reason for this is that in application I often need to
distinguish between Net::LDAP and Net::LDAP::LDIF because
some methods are only implemented on one side.

I\'d like to start with a code() method that tries to mimic the
Net::LDAP one and I\'d like to extend the
Net::LDAP::Entry->update() method so that it takes a
Net::LDAP::LDIF object as an argument. The latter one
requires a bit of work in Net::LDAP::LDIF to make it correct.

Any objections ?

Further ideas, ... welcome.

CU
Peter

P.S: I have implemented a few more controls and will upload
them to SVN by the end of the week.

0
peter5 (37)
6/8/2004 3:56:39 PM
perl.ldap 1268 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 8 Jun 2004, at 16:56, peter@adpm.de wrote:
> I\'d like to start with a code() method that tries to mimic the
> Net::LDAP one and

I assume you mean better error handling ?

> I\'d like to extend the
> Net::LDAP::Entry->update() method so that it takes a
> Net::LDAP::LDIF object as an argument. The latter one
> requires a bit of work in Net::LDAP::LDIF to make it correct.

Not sure about this one. ::LDIF returns ::Entry objects, so I do not
understand why you want to pass it to a single entry object.. Or did
you mean extend Net::LDAP->update ?

> P.S: I have implemented a few more controls and will upload
> them to SVN by the end of the week.

Great

Graham.

0
gbarr
6/8/2004 4:29:23 PM
Extending Net::LDAP::Entry to update against LDIF and LDAP objects
could allow the changetype modifications to be to produced.

This would be really useful to produce changetypes for entry objects by
updating against an LDIF object to produce the changetype LDIF required
up to synchronise entry objects.

Graham Barr wrote:

> On 8 Jun 2004, at 16:56, peter@adpm.de wrote:
> > I\'d like to start with a code() method that tries to mimic the
> > Net::LDAP one and
>
> I assume you mean better error handling ?
>
> > I\'d like to extend the
> > Net::LDAP::Entry->update() method so that it takes a
> > Net::LDAP::LDIF object as an argument. The latter one
> > requires a bit of work in Net::LDAP::LDIF to make it correct.
>
> Not sure about this one. ::LDIF returns ::Entry objects, so I do not
> understand why you want to pass it to a single entry object.. Or did
> you mean extend Net::LDAP->update ?
>
> > P.S: I have implemented a few more controls and will upload
> > them to SVN by the end of the week.
>
> Great
>
> Graham.

0
sion
6/8/2004 11:44:32 PM
On 9 Jun 2004, at 00:44, Sion Camilleri wrote:
> Extending Net::LDAP::Entry to update against LDIF and LDAP objects
> could allow the changetype modifications to be to produced.
>
> This would be really useful to produce changetypes for entry objects by
> updating against an LDIF object to produce the changetype LDIF required
> up to synchronise entry objects.

Can you expand what you mean by that ?

::LDIF can already read a file with changetype entries and you can
update a server. It can also create such a file from ::Entry objects
too.

Graham.

> Graham Barr wrote:
>
>> On 8 Jun 2004, at 16:56, peter@adpm.de wrote:
>>> I\'d like to start with a code() method that tries to mimic the
>>> Net::LDAP one and
>>
>> I assume you mean better error handling ?
>>
>>> I\'d like to extend the
>>> Net::LDAP::Entry->update() method so that it takes a
>>> Net::LDAP::LDIF object as an argument. The latter one
>>> requires a bit of work in Net::LDAP::LDIF to make it correct.
>>
>> Not sure about this one. ::LDIF returns ::Entry objects, so I do not
>> understand why you want to pass it to a single entry object.. Or did
>> you mean extend Net::LDAP->update ?
>>
>>> P.S: I have implemented a few more controls and will upload
>>> them to SVN by the end of the week.
>>
>> Great
>>
>> Graham.

0
gbarr

[Fwd: make Net::LDAP::LDIF more similar to Net::LDAP]
--------------95D5815B06BDC2BD1A0ABFEB Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit --------------95D5815B06BDC2BD1A0ABFEB Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000 Message-ID: <40C7B13E.8864E5A0@cs.adelaide.edu.au> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:54:22 +1000 From: Sion Camilleri <sion@cs.adelaide.edu.au> Reply-To: sion@cs.adelaide.edu.au X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>...

Fw: Re: make Net::LDAP::LDIF more similar to Net::LDAP
Am 08.06.2004 um 18:29 Uhr haben Sie geschrieben: > On 8 Jun 2004, at 16:56, peter@adpm.de wrote: > > I\'d like to start with a code() method that tries to mimic the >> Net::LDAP one and >I assume you mean better error handling ? My first goal is having a code() method in Net::LDAP::LDIF. > > I\'d like to extend the > > Net::LDAP::Entry->update() method so that it takes a > > Net::LDAP::LDIF object as an argument. The latter one > > requires a bit of work in Net::LDAP::LDIF to make it > > correct. > Not su...

Fw: Re: make Net::LDAP::LDIF more similar to Net::LDAP #2
Hi, Am 09.06.2004 um 01:44 Uhr haben Sie geschrieben: > Extending Net::LDAP::Entry to update against LDIF and LDAP objects > could allow the changetype modifications to be to produced. > > This would be really useful to produce changetypes for entry objects by > updating against an LDIF object to produce the changetype LDIF required > up to synchronise entry objects. as Graham posted you can to that already now. Simply create your Net::LDAP::Entry object with the changes option set to TRUE. Having created the ::LDIF object that way you autom...

Net::LDAP and Net:LDAP::LDIF read & add problems
I'm trying to read in a simple LDIF file to add an entry to my LDAP server. Here is the basic routine (extraneous details omitted for brevity and security): $ldif = Net::LDAP::LDIF->new($tmp,"r",onerror => 'warn'); $entry = $ldif->ready_entry(); $ldap = Net::LDAP->new($LDAPSERVER); $result=$ldap->bind("$binddn",password=>"$bindpass",version=>"3"); $result=$ldap->add($entry); Now, everything seems to work until I get to the $ldap->add method. From that I get various versions of the following: object...

Net::LDAP and Net:LDAP::LDIF read & add problems #2
I'm trying to read in a simple LDIF file to add an entry to my LDAP server. Here is the basic routine (extraneous details omitted for brevity and security): $ldif = Net::LDAP::LDIF->new($tmp,"r",onerror => 'warn'); $entry = $ldif->ready_entry(); $ldap = Net::LDAP->new($LDAPSERVER); $result=$ldap->bind("$binddn",password=>"$bindpass",version=>"3"); $result=$ldap->add($entry); Now, everything seems to work until I get to the $ldap->add method. From that I get various versions of the following: obj...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

Net::LDAP v0.28, bug in Net::LDAP::Constant, :all not supported
Net::LDAP::Constant no longer supports the :all tag in the export list due to the switch from Exporter to a manual export routine. So, while the following: perl -MNet::LDAP::Constant=:all -e 1 worked fine in 0.2701, it now dies with the error: ":all" is not exported by the Net::LDAP::Constant module at -e line 0 Can't continue after import errors at -e line 0 BEGIN failed--compilation aborted, <DATA> line 197. The documentation for Net::LDAP::Constant still documents the ':all' tag. I am not subscribed to the list, so if some...

Net::LDAP based LDAP server available?
Hi, has anybody tried to build an LDAP server based on Net::LDAP or Convert::ASN1 yet? Thanks for any hint. Enrik ...

Net::LDAP & LDAP Decoding Error
--mvpLiMfbWzRoNl4x Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Disposition: inline Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello! I have a question about an LDAP query with Net::LDAP. I send queries to an OpenLDAP server (version 2.2.24). The queries are very simple and intended to detect already existing user entries. The code that prepares and sends the query looks like this: $filter =3D "(uid=3D".$username.")"; $filterobj =3D Net::LDAP::Filter->new($filter); $lres =3D $ldap->search( base =3D> $base, s...

Net::LDAPS and Net::SSLeay
------_=_NextPart_001_01C3EF1A.51A96530 Content-Type: text/plain Hello all: I am trying to use Net::LDAPS within a perl program in order to establish a secure socket connection with my ldap server. My program works fine if i use the bind function from Net::LDAP module. However, when I changed my source code to use the bind function from Net::LDAPS, my program failed because it complained about the need for IO::Socket::SSL module. Then, when i started to run make for IO::Socket::SSL, it complained about the need for Net::SSLeay. The compilation for Net::SSLeay versio...

How do I retrieve operational attributes for an LDAP entry using Net::LDAP?
how do I retrieve the values for 'creatorsName','createTimestamp', 'modifiersName', 'modifyTimestamp' using Net::LDAP module? pleae help ===== use Net::LDAP; use Net::LDAP::Util qw(ldap_error_text ldap_error_name ldap_error_desc); $host='xxxx.com'; $rdn='cn=manager,dc=xxxx,dc=com'; $ldappasswd='123456'; my $ldap=new Net::LDAP($host) or die; my $mesg=$ldap->bind("$rdn",password=>"$ldappasswd",version => 3) or die; my $mesg=$ldap->search(base=>"ou=people,dc=xxxx,dc=com",scope=>...

Net::LDAP->root_dse() not returning an error (when LDAP server does)
Hello, I'm experimenting with "start_tls()" in Net::LDAP. The manual suggests to check the RootDSE for LDAPv3 and TLS extension. Somhow I managed that creating the LDAP object (i.e. connect) suceeds, but $ldap->root_dse() returns undef. Interesting to say that you cannot get much information out of an undef: May code fragment is this: sub start_TLS($$) { my ($ldap, $q) = @_; my $dse = $ldap->root_dse(); if ($dse && $dse->supported_version(3) && $dse->supported_extension(LDAP_EXTENSION_START_TLS)) { ...

Net::LDAP::LDIF should support LDIF comments
Hi, comments are an official part of LDIF, but the Perl module doesn't support them right now. RFC 2849 (LDAP Data Interchange Format) says on page 6: 3) Any line that begins with a pound-sign ("#", ASCII 35) is a comment line, and MUST be ignored when parsing an LDIF file. Why do I need that? I wrote an LDIF import utility that writes all entries that had an error into an LDIF output file for manual (or automatic) review. However it would be great to add the LDAP server's error messages as a comment in from of every entry. Code snipplet: .... ...

$ldap->search triggers Bug in ASN1 and utf8 Net::LDAP code
Dear perl programmers, I think I found bug in Net::LDAP in the part which is doing something with ASN.1 (Convert::ASN1). I'm writing small program for selecting and exporting part of oracle (with DBD::Oracle) doing nasty things with output, selecting from OpenLDAP server matching and non-matching entries and comparing them attribute by attribute, making ldif diff file from that, or producing new entries if $mesg->entries is 0. I'm not a professional programmer, but I *must* finish this application. :-( Output from oracle is in UTF-8, and it has many names with nati...

Web resources about - make Net::LDAP::LDIF more similar to Net::LDAP - perl.ldap