Can't locate loadable object for module DBI in @INC

Hi

I'm new to this list, but I've looked through the archives before
posting and I can't find the exact answer to this, only a few ideas.
I'm running Red Hat Linux 7.1, using Perl 5.6.1 and trying to get DBI
1.20 to work. I've tried  installing two different ways - by downloading
the tar.gz, running 'perl Makefile.PL', make, make test, make install;
and also by doing "perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBI'". In each case the
installation seemed to go fine with no errors. However, a script using
DBI doesn't work, although I've seen the same script work fine on
another machine.

The script (called load_bugs, which is supposed to use DBI to populate a
MySQL database) falls over when it gets to "use DBI". Here is the full
output:

Can't locate loadable object for module DBI in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .)
at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux/DBI.pm line 189
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux/DBI.pm line 189.
Compilation failed in require at ./load_bugs line 9.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./load_bugs line 9.

If you look around line 189 of DBI.pm, here's what it says:

# If you get an error here like "Can't find loadable object ..."
# then you haven't installed the DBI correctly. Read the README
# then install it again.
bootstrap DBI;

}

Needless to say I have read the README plenty of times now!
If I knew which loadeble object it was looking for, I might get
somewhere...
I'm happy to supply any more info you need to help me.

Thanks in advance!

--
Kind regards
Jake Hoban

0
jakeh
10/30/2001 4:33:40 PM
perl.dbi.users 11100 articles. 1 followers. Follow

In your script's shebang line, are you perhaps using:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
?

Try a "which perl" from the command line and see if it varies from your
shebang line.  Perhaps /usr/bin/perl?

Jake Hoban wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm new to this list, but I've looked through the archives before
> posting and I can't find the exact answer to this, only a few ideas.
> I'm running Red Hat Linux 7.1, using Perl 5.6.1 and trying to get DBI
> 1.20 to work. I've tried  installing two different ways - by downloading
> the tar.gz, running 'perl Makefile.PL', make, make test, make install;
> and also by doing "perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBI'". In each case the
> installation seemed to go fine with no errors. However, a script using
> DBI doesn't work, although I've seen the same script work fine on
> another machine.
>
> The script (called load_bugs, which is supposed to use DBI to populate a
> MySQL database) falls over when it gets to "use DBI". Here is the full
> output:
>
> Can't locate loadable object for module DBI in @INC (@INC contains:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .)
> at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux/DBI.pm line 189
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux/DBI.pm line 189.
> Compilation failed in require at ./load_bugs line 9.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./load_bugs line 9.
>
> If you look around line 189 of DBI.pm, here's what it says:
>
> # If you get an error here like "Can't find loadable object ..."
> # then you haven't installed the DBI correctly. Read the README
> # then install it again.
> bootstrap DBI;
>
> }
>
> Needless to say I have read the README plenty of times now!
> If I knew which loadeble object it was looking for, I might get
> somewhere...
> I'm happy to supply any more info you need to help me.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Kind regards
> Jake Hoban
> Systems Administrator
> GenaWarehouse
> +44-161-955 4364

0
Jeffrey
10/30/2001 4:35:46 PM
> From: Jake Hoban [mailto:jakeh@genaware.com]
>
> Can't locate loadable object for module DBI in @INC (@INC contains:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .)
> at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux/DBI.pm line 189

Is DBI.pm in one of those @INC directories above? In the same directory,
is there an auto/DBI sub-directory, and do you have permission to read all
the files in that directory (and maybe execute permission on the DBI.so
file in there)??

HTH,
Douglas Wilson
0
Doug_Wilson
10/30/2001 4:43:32 PM
This is because the script you are using is run with a different perl
version that was used to install DBI.  Also you might of installed DBI in a
non standard directory, which will not append it to @INC.  See perldoc
perlvar for more info on @INC.

Ilya

[...]

Isterin
10/30/2001 4:44:16 PM
No, it's not that. The shebang says #!/usr/bin/perl, and "which perl"
returns the same path - although I've actually got it installed at
/usr/local/bin/perl as well (that was one of the options during the
installation).

--
Kind regards
Jake Hoban

0
jakeh
10/30/2001 4:46:18 PM
Yes, they all exist with the right permissions. I just tried changing
the ownership to that of the user trying to run the script, but that
didn't work, so I changed it right back!

--
Kind regards
Jake Hoban

0
jakeh
10/30/2001 4:50:50 PM
Thanks! I think you must have found the answer, because that's certainly
true. I was using perl 5.6.0 until yesterday - I'm sorry, I should have
mentioned that before. DBI was installed while I was still running
5.6.0, it was actually in the process of trying to fix something else
that I ended up upgrading to 5.6.1.
Next stupid question: how do I get out of this mess? Is there a simple
way to uninstall DBI rather than just keep reinstalling over the
existing version, which I've been doing till now?

--
Kind regards
Jake Hoban

0
jakeh
10/30/2001 4:56:03 PM
You can use the CPAN.pm module to install or update any module.  As far as
fixing this, just install DBI with the correct perl version and then you'll
be able to use without modifying @INC.  Otherwise you will have to modify
@INC in all scripts, which I wouldn't recommend because of some older perl
version incompatibility that might exist.

Ilya

--
Kind regards
Jake Hoban
Systems Administrator
GenaWarehouse
+44-161-955 4364
0
Isterin
10/30/2001 5:01:50 PM
I'm sorry to keep cluttering up the list with my ignorance, but I can't
seem to get this working. From a CPAN shell, I've tried "install DBI",
"recompile DBI" and pretty much anything else I could think of. Whenever
I run a script using DBI I get the same problem (which is that it
complains about DBI not being in @INC, although it is, and the real
error seems to occur at line 189 of DBI.pm where it wants to "bootstrap
DBI").

If anyone isn't sick of this one yet, I'd still be grateful for any ideas.

Sterin, Ilya wrote:

> You can use the CPAN.pm module to install or update any module.  As far as
> fixing this, just install DBI with the correct perl version and then you'll
> be able to use without modifying @INC.  Otherwise you will have to modify
> @INC in all scripts, which I wouldn't recommend because of some older perl
> version incompatibility that might exist.
>
> Ilya

0
jakeh
10/31/2001 12:47:14 PM
You must be running CPAN.pm under a different installation than the one you
are trying to use DBI with.  Understand that @INC is sort of like INCLUDE
for a compiler, if it's not in standard directrories, then you must append
to it.

Ilya

Sterin, Ilya wrote:

> You can use the CPAN.pm module to install or update any module.  As
far as
> fixing this, just install DBI with the correct perl version and then
you'll
> be able to use without modifying @INC.  Otherwise you will have to
modify
> @INC in all scripts, which I wouldn't recommend because of some older
perl
> version incompatibility that might exist.
>
> Ilya

0
Isterin
10/31/2001 3:50:56 PM
------_=_NextPart_001_01C3213D.D2068470

Then just make sure you have the right files in the right place. Make sure
on an @INC path you have a DBI directory with the following files:

DBD.pm
FAQ.pm
Format.pm
ProxyServer.pm
Shell.pm
W32ODBC.pm

Then make sure you also installed the DB driver you need. For me, an Oracle
DBD driver, a DBD directory:

ADO.pm
ExampleP.pm
Multiplex.pm
NullP.pm
Oracle.pm
Proxy.pm
Sponge.pm

And, of course, on your lib dir, the DBI.pm file.

Those are the files I find on my PC that look to be the complete DBI
package. I am unsure if I am missing any files.

Regards,

Javier Moreno
Softtek/GXS
EFS NearShore - TradeWeb 2nd Tier

....when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however
improbable, must be the truth.
- Sherlock Holmes