Sort

I would like to add sort to an existing script that was written by
someone else.  I've taken an Intro to Perl class and a CGI-Perl
class.  I can't understand the script AT ALL and at this point I've
written a bulletin board program, contact form/auto-email-responder,
as well as an apartment locator search and database program.  The
script converts files in Pagemaker / text into html files.  We want
to output the html files alphabetically, seemed simple but I can't
make heads or tails of it.

The script is about 700K but I could put it on a web page or send it
as an attachment if anyone is willing to help me - including anyone
who wants a fee of say 25.00 dollars.

-Teresa
Teresa Raymond
http://www.mariposanet.com
traymond@mariposanet.com
0
traymond

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 06:25:30PM -0500, Teresa Raymond wrote:
> I would like to add sort to an existing script that was written by
> someone else.  I've taken an Intro to Perl class and a CGI-Perl
> class.  I can't understand the script AT ALL and at this point I've
> written a bulletin board program, contact form/auto-email-responder,
> as well as an apartment locator search and database program.  The
> script converts files in Pagemaker / text into html files.  We want
> to output the html files alphabetically, seemed simple but I can't
> make heads or tails of it.
>
> The script is about 700K but I could put it on a web page or send it
> as an attachment if anyone is willing to help me - including anyone
> who wants a fee of say 25.00 dollars.

Good lord, a 700K script!  Is it all one massive file, or did they at
least split it into smaller, more digestible chunks?  Either way, I'd
personally want a *lot* more than $25 to even think of diving into a
monster of that size.

Perhaps it would be easier to do the sort externally after the program
finishes?

Walt

0
waltman
5/25/2001 12:10:42 AM
thx...but do you know how can sort increasingly or
decreasingly  ???
I read the doc in perl.com but done find any thing about it.
thx again.

>$a and $b are built-in variables used for 'comparison criteria' during the
>sort process.
>
>The statement you have posited means that the contents of @files be sorted
>alphabetically. The sorting criterion is spelled by $a cmp $b statement.
>What this does is to return a 0 if both the candidates are alphabetically
>the same, -1 if one is alphabetically lesser than the succeeding element
and
>1 if the preceding element is alphabetically greater than the succeeding
>element.
>
>- Rex

nsaberi
10/29/2001 12:46:02 PM
nafiseh saberi wrote:

> thx...but do you know how can sort increasingly or
> decreasingly  ???

Just use {$a cmp $b} or {$b cmp $a} for alphabetical
and {$a <=> $b} or {$b <=> $a} for numerical order.

- RaFaL Pocztarski, admin@rfl.pl
0
admin
10/29/2001 7:25:37 PM
The sort function takes an optional subroutine which is where you can add
you logic for the sort.  The subroutine is passed two items from the list at
a time and needs to return -1 is the first item comes first, 1 if the second
item comes first, or 0 if the values are equal.  The vales are passed to
your routine as $a and $b;

Something like this should do it:

# Untested, but I hope this helps

# Open $file1 and read lines into the array
open FILE1, $file1;
my @file1 = <FILE1>;
close FILE1;

# Sort it!
# The sub: split $a, $split $b, use "cmp" to compare the string values
@file2 = sort {@a=split('|',$a) ;@b=split('|',$b); $a[11] cmp $b[11]}
(@file1);

# Open $file2 and write the sorted data to it
open FILE2, ">$file2";
print FILE2 join('', @file2);
close FILE2;

Notes:
"cmp" does an ASCII comparison, so "Abe" is less than "abe".  If you want to
to be equal use lc() when you "cmp" (compare) them.  Also if you want a
numeric compare instead of a string compare, use "<=>" instead of "cmp".

Rob