Detecting string in string

Hello

I am not an advanced perl programmer and I do not have my books with me. I want to determine if a string is within a string and to not process the string if the string is found. Could someone please provide a simple sample.

Thanks,
Andrew
0
andrewmchorney

On 2/22/07, andrewmchorney@cox.net <andrewmchorney@cox.net> wrote:

> I am not an advanced perl programmer

Have courage -- you'll get there someday!

> and I do not have my books with me.

That's what the perldoc command is for.

> I want to determine if a string is within a string

Do you want the index function?

    perldoc -f index

> and to not process the string if the string is found.

Huh? Do you mean you want an if-block? Are you looking for the next operator?

    perldoc -f next

Hope this helps!

--Tom Phoenix
Stonehenge Perl Training
0
tom
2/22/2007 4:37:57 PM

>I am not an advanced perl programmer and I do not have my books with me. I want to determine if a string is within a string and to not process the string if the string is found. Could someone please provide a simple sample.

From "perldoc -f index" :

       index STR,SUBSTR,POSITION
       index STR,SUBSTR
               The index function searches for one string within another, but
               without the wildcard-like behavior of a full regular-expression
               pattern match.  It returns the position of the first occurrence
               of SUBSTR in STR at or after POSITION.  If POSITION is omitted,
               starts searching from the beginning of the string.  The return
               value is based at 0 (or whatever you've set the $[ variable
               to--but don't do that).  If the substring is not found, returns
               one less than the base, ordinarily "-1".

--
Jeff Pang
EMAIL: pangj@earthlink.net  AIM: jeffpang
On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 08:31 -0800, andrewmchorney@cox.net wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am not an advanced perl programmer and I do not have my books with
> me. I want to determine if a string is within a string and to not
> process the string if the string is found. Could someone please
> provide a simple sample.

if( ! $variable =~ /check_string/ ) {
}

--
Ken Foskey
FOSS developer

0
foskey

string to string[]
Hi, I've got this code : string[] Params; string SQL = "SELECT * FROM T_MANAGEMENT_PAGES"; SqlCommand myCommand = new SqlCommand(SQL, myConnection); myConnection.Open(); SqlDataReader myReader = myCommand.ExecuteReader(); try { while (myReader.Read()) { Params_Type = myReader.GetValue(0).ToString(); } } catch { } finally { } myReader.Close(); My problem is to obtain Params_Type. But each time, it says : "impossible to convert '[object]' in 'string[]' &quo...

String and string?
Hi guys, I was wondering the difference between small letter string type and a capital letter String type. Does anyone know about this? Highly appreciate for your answers! Thankz! The "proper" version is String, as it references the System.String class of the .NET Framework Class Library. The ability to use string is provided by C#, where it is an alias to String. Similarly, the "proper" version of an integer is Int32, as it references System.Int32.  The ability to use int is provided by C#, and the ability to use Integer is provided by VB.NET, and both int and Integer are aliases...

string and string[]
hello, whats the difference here between string and string[] thanks "string" denotes an item of type String "string[]" denotes an array of type String itemsThanks, EdMicrosoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET Gracia mon ami...

String and String[]
What will be the advantage of using myString: String[10] over myString: String Man wrote: > What will be the advantage of using > myString: String[10] > over > myString: String "String[10]" is a fixed-length, statically allocated, Ansi-based ShortString. "String" is a dynamic-length, dynamically allocated, reference counted, Ansi-based or Unicode-based (depening on Delphi version) Long string. Unless you absolutely need the static, fixed length nature of ShortString, such as in records that interact with external systems, you should stay ...

string() = string()
this code does not work (not instance of object) Dim Items(), Other() As String Items = New String() {"A","B","C"} Other = New String() {} Other = Items how can I get all the values ? angiras Hi, If I understand your requirement correctly, this should do it Dim Items() As String = {"A", "B", "C"} Dim Other(Items.Length - 1) As String Items.CopyTo(Other, 0) To more closely match you code above, but this will be less efficient Dim Items(), Other() As String ...

a string in a string in a string in my code behind....
I know my title talk about code-behind, but this is really a client-side problem (and surely a newby one too, sorry about that).I have a javascript function that my make a little text appear when the onmouseover event of a link is activated.So, normally, if my link was inside my html code, it would be something like this:<a href = "whocare.com"  onmouseover="poplink('I want to test something');">test</a>BUT, for some reason, I have to write this part in code behind with the LiteralControl function....and that will give something like that:this.Controls.Add(new LiteralCo...

m_AVP As IDictionary(Of String, String) = New Dictionary(Of String, String) ,not defined?
   I am creating a usercontrol (ascx,ascx.vb)   I have used Imports system.Collections Imports system.Collections.Generic     Private m_AttributeValuePair As IDictionary(Of String, String) = New Dictionary(Of String, String)     But I am gettting an error “Type Dictionary is not defined”   And also I am getting intelisense to type the line But what is the reason for my error ? How can I get escape from the error ?         this error is not showing today  ...

Difference between String and string
When would you use String as apposed string, when writing functions certain functions work when defined as private string help ( string param){ } Others require the following private string help ( String param){ } Does anybody know why? In C#, string is an alias for the .NET Framework provided type String (and recall C# is case sensitive). I am not aware of any compelling reason to use one vs. the other.Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:Programming Microsoft Web Forms My Blog...

what is the difference between String and string ?
first, i thought that String is reference-type and string is value-type, so I try: String s; s = "123"; String s2; s2 = s; s2 = "456"; MessageBox.Show(s); but the result is not as good as i thought, it show "123", not "456" so what is the difference between String and string ?MSN: unfriendlyboy@hotmail.comASP.NET fan. There is no difference. string is just an c# alias for CLR type System.String, just like int is an alias for System.Int32Leon LangleybenMCSD, ASP.NET MVPBlog...

String and String[30]
Any advantage in using this style in defining a string type variable? myName: String; hisName: String[30]; "Alan Tse" <alan_NO_SPAM_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:177975@forums.codegear.com... > Any advantage in using this style in defining a string type variable? > > myName: String; > hisName: String[30]; String[30] is a short string type and is ANSI only. You should use simple String type (Unicode in D2009+). -- Wayne Niddery (TeamB) Alan Tse wrote: > Any advantage in using this style in defining a string type variable? ...

RSA Encryption
Here is my goal:1. Take a string2. Encrypt it 3. Pass it as a parameter in the QueryString4. Decrypt it The value starts as a string, then is converted to a byte[] and then encrypted.  The resulting byte[] is converted to a string and send as a parameter.  The recieving page decrypts the string (creates a byte[], decrypts to a new byte[], and the value is finally parsed for its values) I am using http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfsystemsecuritycryptographyrsacryptoserviceproviderclasstopic.asp with a small modification t...

Count no of strings in a string
dim ref as string ="<a href=""/iyp/yp/ypkeywordsearch.do?" hi i would like to know something how do i count the number of ref in a html document??you see i have another string call htmldoc(it contains a html document of a web page) and i want to extract all the ref in htmldoc how do i do that? 2) How do i include a closed inverted comma in a string?? dim a as string = "abcde"fghijk""" How do i use the mid method to seacrh from " ?? 1) You should learn about Regular Expressions 2) Double the quotes: "abcde"...

How to Encrypt a String to a String?
Hi Folks,I’m using Triple DES to encrypt a string… the output of the encryption is a byte array.However, I want to store the encrypted result as a string in a SQL Database and not as a byte array.(The reason I want to store it as a string, is to be able to copy & paste the result to a standalone windows form application  to decrypt it...) I’ve tried taking the byte array, converting it into a string…And then reconverting it into a byte array for the decryption. This causes an error upon decryption…How can I convert the encrypted byte array into a string and back into a byt...

split string by string
Hi All I am trying to split a string with other string. Does any one help me how to do this.I have "237943--;--dgsa78a--;--dasd732" I want to split with --;-- And ideas please thanks,Aruna.G     string contents = "237943--;--dgsa78a--;--dasd732"; you can do contents.split(';')which would split it on ; Thanks,Karan~ Remember To Mark The Post(s) That Helped You As The ANSWER ~ You can use String.Split(String[], StringSplitOptions)   string source = "237943--;--dgsa78a--;--dasd732"; string[] ...