command-line commands within a Perl script

Hi,

I have a directory with several subdirectories, each full of several dozen
Word files. For each subdirectory,  I need to run the checksum app against
all of that directory's files and output a file into that directory with the
checksum results. How can I do this? I'm very unfamilar with running
command-line commands from within an Perl script. I know to change
directories, you can do something like this:

$changeDir = "cd ".$startingDir;
system($changeDir);

but what about retrieving the list of subdirectories from the starting
directory? How can I do this?
Thanks for your help.

-Jose

0
Jose

If you do that, you will be invoking the shell, changing the current
directory for the shell, and then closing the shell.  What you want is to
use the chdir() Perl function to change the current directory of your Perl
script.

perldoc -f chdir

I have a directory with several subdirectories, each full of several
dozen
Word files. For each subdirectory,  I need to run the checksum app
against
all of that directory's files and output a file into that directory with
the
checksum results. How can I do this? I'm very unfamilar with running
command-line commands from within an Perl script. I know to change
directories, you can do something like this:

$changeDir = "cd ".$startingDir;
system($changeDir);

but what about retrieving the list of subdirectories from the starting
directory? How can I do this?
Thanks for your help.

-Jose

tjohnson

A possible way :

#---------------
use File::Find;
use File::stat;
my $directory = "/user/IPlib/IPlib/";

find(\&search, $directory);

}

sub search() {

 my $file = $File::Find::name || shift;

  if ( -d $file ) { push @dirs,$file; }
  else { push @files,$file; }

 print @files;
 print @dirs;

}

Regs David

> Hi,
>
> I have a directory with several subdirectories, each full of several dozen
> Word files. For each subdirectory,  I need to run the checksum app against
> all of that directory's files and output a file into that directory with the
> checksum results. How can I do this? I'm very unfamilar with running
> command-line commands from within an Perl script. I know to change
> directories, you can do something like this:
>
> $changeDir = "cd ".$startingDir;
> system($changeDir);
>
> but what about retrieving the list of subdirectories from the starting
> directory? How can I do this?
> Thanks for your help.
>

> -Jose
>

> --

vdgeerd
5/23/2002 4:38:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. It is much appreciated.