Secure sites load slow or not at all

I have searched through the forums here but could not find a fix for my
particular issue.  I installed opensuse 11 on 2 different machines, one
at work and one at home.  One is working just fine and the other I am
having a problem with https sites.  I have another older suse box at
home, on the same network, and behind the same routers which works fine.
With the new box, https sites either load very slowly, after I reload
the pages several times, or not at all.  Being that I loaded opensuse on
2 boxes and one works fine, it should not be a problem with that.  Also
being that another suse box on the same network behind the same routers
works fine, that should be fine as well.

I tried disabling all firewall's and changing network settings, but to
not avail. I installed wireshark and tried to debug it, but networking
is just something I know enough to be dangerous at, so I believe I just
simply screwed something up, but I just can not figure it out.  I can
post a capture from wireshark if it will help.

--
Trappist

Trappist
9/3/2008 9:56:01 AM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I am not sure if anyone has any clues, but I thought that I would post
an update.  I am now running the machine from the LiveCD, but secure
(https, SSL) sites do not load or load extremely slowly.  I can get them
to come up sometimes after reloading several times.  I am connected
directly to my DSL router with its firewall turned off.  Also with the
LiveCD the firewall is turned off by default.  I have 2 other computers
behind the DSL router which have not trouble with secure sites.  Does
anyone have any thoughts, please!

--
Trappist
Trappist's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=9739

0
Trappist
9/5/2008 2:06:01 PM
Another update...I tried a different ethernet card instead of the
standard one on the motherboard, but still no luck.

Please, does anyone have any ideas? I am absolutely stumped.

--
Trappist
Trappist's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=9739
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=394410

0
Trappist
9/6/2008 9:56:01 AM
Trappist;1867402 Wrote:
> Does anyone have any thoughts, please!
Some speculation ... did you try turning off ipv6 ?

What browser are you using?  If firefox, what version?

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=394410

0
oldcpu
9/6/2008 10:16:01 AM
Yes I did try turning off ipv6 when running the installed version, but
not when running from the live CD.  I tried running the same box from
the live CD since I thought that I may have just messed up some network
settings, but it is the same from the live CD and the installation.

Under the installed version I tried with Firefox (version 3.x.x),
Safari, and Konqueror.  Under the live CD I had to use Firefox 3 Beta 5
and Konqueror.  With both systems Firefox is the only one that would
load secure sites on occasion.  It took minutes though to get a page to
load and me pressing F5 every 30 seconds or so.  I would be better if it
did not work at all, but being that some pages will load (although very
slowly) makes it much harder to debug.

--
Trappist
Trappist's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=9739
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=394410

0
Trappist
9/6/2008 10:56:02 AM
Trappist;1867683 Wrote:
>  I tried running the same box from the live CD since I thought that I
> may have just messed up some network settings
What network settings did you change?  Other than disable ipv6, I never
touch my network settings.  The default 'just work' for me.

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=394410

0
oldcpu
9/6/2008 11:06:01 AM
I do not exactly recall as I tried everything I could to get it to work.
Although I tried to remember to return everything back to its original
state once I tested it out.  I thought that maybe I did mess something
up, so I tried running the box from the live CD, but with the same
results.  I can connect to non-secure sites just fine, only secure sites
give me a problem.  I tried disabling all firewalls for a short time,
but it does not help.

--
Trappist
Trappist's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=9739
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=394410

0
Trappist

I'm having a similar situation, in fact, I recently migrated from
Kubuntu to OpenSuse because I thought there was something wrong within
Kubuntu that makes the system behaves as you are explaining.
I just installed OpenSuse 11.0 two days ago and suddenly I'm having the
same problem. I'm also running behind a DSL connection, as far as I
remember I first experience this situation like 4 weeks ago on my
Kubuntu system. I have been using this DSL connection for more than
three years without any problems. It's really frustrating cause
sometimes it works fine but other times it just doesn't connects to any
https site.

Any ideas and/or suggestions will be really appreciated.

Regards,

Jose

--
jlrq74
jlrq74's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=12152
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=394410

0
jlrq74
9/30/2008 2:16:01 AM
[QUOTE=jlrq74]
Hi,

I'm having a similar situation, in fact, I recently migrated from
Kubuntu to OpenSuse because I thought there was something wrong within
Kubuntu that makes the system behaves as you are explaining.
I just installed OpenSuse 11.0 two days ago and suddenly I'm having the
same problem. I'm also running behind a DSL connection, as far as I
remember I first experience this situation like 4 weeks ago on my
Kubuntu system. I have been using this DSL connection for more than
three years without any problems. It's really frustrating cause
sometimes it works fine but other times it just doesn't connects to any
https site.

Any ideas and/or suggestions will be really appreciated.

Regards,

Jose
[/QUOTE]
Hi
It's better to create a new thread than tag it onto an existing
one :)
Have you disabled IPV6, the firefox beagle plugin and the anti-phishing
features in firefox?

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.16-0.1-default

0
Malcolm
9/30/2008 2:24:55 AM
malcolmlewis;1877554 Wrote:
> Hi
> It's better to create a new thread than tag it onto an existing
> one :)
> Have you disabled IPV6, the firefox beagle plugin and the
> anti-phishing
> features in firefox?
>
> --
> Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
> openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.16-0.1-default
> up 14:45, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.12, 0.12
> GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12

I just created a static connections (instead of DHCP) and uncheck the
IPV6 option, same results. I don't think that the problem is with
Firefox, same results with Konkeror. Also I just connected my laptop
(Vista) to the same network cable and it works fine. For example, with
OpenSuse I'm not able to login to my Ebay account, on Vista no problems.
It also happens on Amazon, my banking site, etc.

Regards,

Jose

--
jlrq74
jlrq74's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=12152
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=394410

0
jlrq74
9/30/2008 2:56:01 AM
maybe it is because you are using a proxy and you need to tell Firefox
to use a proxy for SSL too.

I checked my firefox

Edit > Preferences > Network Tab > Manual proxy configurations

make sure you check "Use this proxy server for all protocols"

that will include SSL sites ;)

Cheers,

Daniel Araneda

--
rrutia
rrutia's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=18337
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=394410

0
rrutia

When loading gmail must always "reload" once unless using the secure loading site. When using the secure loading site loading takes four times as long. So I don't use the secure loading site, I just
Name: Dwight Metcalfe Email: dwmet1atgmaildotco Product: Firefox Summary: When loading gmail must always "reload" once unless using the secure loading site. When using the secure loading site loading takes four times as long. So I don't use the secure loading site, I just "reload" the other site once automatically just to save time. Hmmmmmmmm. Comments: Only been doing that about a month. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to reade...

Firefox to slow loading itself and to slow loading other web sites.
Name: Terry L. Menard Email: terryml55_at_hotmail.com Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox to slow loading itself and to slow loading other web sites. Comments: When I use IE the IE program loads in just a few seconds and the websites that load also only takes a few seconds. When I use Firefox it takes a full 30 seconds for it to load and anywhere from 20 to 45 seconds for a web site to load. Is that a bug or is it my computer. Now when I've reported things like this to other people they keep telling me that it's my computer. I've taken it to three different repair p...

Delphi XE2/XE4 SLow startup secure network without internet
Hi. Was hoping to get some help on tweaking Delphi XE2/XE4 for running on a secure network without Internet connection. Main issue is that startup is very slow. It seems that Delphi is trying to phone home... "Check for Update during startup" was disabled when installed. Br Petter Petter Topp wrote: > It seems that Delphi is trying to phone home... Not home, but it broadcasts to your networt if there is another instance running (counting the number of active licenses?). At least if you start Delphi twice (and one with a debugger attached) you get "Cannot o...

Slow load of VPN site to site 3.8
I am having 2 issues, I think one should be posted in the proxy forum, but it might be related to the VPN. I have 1 tree and it is partitioned into 2 replicas. I have the master of both replicas at the main office. My existing setup was a NW6.5 SP1 w/BM 3.8 patched Master VPN. I have a NW 6 SP3 w/BM 3.7 slave VPN connecting to the server. I installed a new server at the remote site (NW6.5 SP1 w/BM 3.8 patched Slave VPN) and I had a problem getting it connected. I kept messing around trying to get the VPN to connect and I couldn't. I would setup everything per the BM guide...

How secure are Fiber Internet networks vs Cable Internet?
My city is rolling out their "Fiber-to-the-Home" service this month. The fiber network is run by the city owned Utilities company. The features are great compared to my current cable internet with Cox. For the same price I am paying for Cox, I can get 50Mbps vs 20Mbps that Cox offers. The fiber comes directly to your house and is connected to a box outside. You then need to run a Ethernet cable from the box to your router. Another feature of the service is 100Mbps Peer to Peer community intranet. This means that I can send and receive things to/from a friend a...

Web sites slow to load or do not load. For example google.com.
Name: bob Email: numi1999atverizondotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Web sites slow to load or do not load. For example google.com. Comments: firefox /3.0.5 with Windows xp. I.E works with no problems. Safari works without problems. It became a problem after the most update. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them...

Norton Internet Security Blocked Site Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerability
http://www.secunia.com/advisories/10067/ Secunia Advisory: SA10067 Release Date: 2003-10-28 Critical: Less critical Impact: Cross Site Scripting Where: From remote Software: Norton Internet Security 2003 Norton Internet Security 2004 Description: A vulnerability has been reported in Symantec Norton Internet Security (NIS), which can be exploited by malicious people to conduct Cross-Site Scripting attacks against a user. The vulnerability is caused due to missing input validation when a requested URL is included in a blocked site error message returned to the user. This can ...

returning from secure site to non secure site
Hi, I want to return from secure site to non secure site using Response.Redirect method but it stays in secure site dowsn't redirect to non https site. How can I fix this problem, and why it is a problem. Kind regards,Fatih UÇAR To redirect between a SSL site to a non SSL site, you have to specify the full qualified url (including the protocol) as the parameter for response.redirect. For example: Response.Redirect("http://.....") or Response.Redirect("https://.....") Thanks zhuhua for your answer yes I have specified fully qualified name that's why an alert box appears by i...

Slow loading internet
Name: John Core Email: jmcoreatverizondotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Slow loading internet Comments: When I try to load the Internet, I get a message "waiting for search.conduit.com..." It then takes about 3 minutes for the Internet to load. After that it runs OK but there must be a way to fix this probl em. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide o...

Slow loading site
I like to read the Trailerlife forum. Some days it loads quick but most days it times out it is so slow. It only has the problem with openSuse. I am running Kubuntu on a old computer and the site is very fast as it is on windows xp, yet when I go back to openSuse it is very slow at best. Any ideas? -- ralphpam ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Possibly try: 'Disable IPv6 - openSUSE Forums' (http://tinyurl.com/ckhmrp) -- Box: Linux 2.6.27.30-170.2.82 i686 PAE | Fedora 10 | KDE4.3.0 | M2N4-SLI | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nV...

site loading SLOW
Just went live with community website, www.houma.com - taking about 7-10 seconds for site to appear. Is there any way to speed this up? theres a few things I'd point out1. your pages are large. I took a look at the homepage, and if I do a save as webpage, it pulls down over 2MB of content. If you can't remove it, optimise it e.g. bwater.gif (the BW corporate housing logo) is 785KB , that can probably be reduced by 50-80% with no noticeable difference in quality.2. you include modules that access external resources e.g. mapquest, rss feeds. These are causing a delay, as even when the page i...

Site loading very slow :(
I just installed DNN and it takes a very long time for my site to load or for me to navigate from page to page. I'm using very few graphics on my site so I can't blame the lag on this. Has anyone else had problems with DNN being slow? If you have, do you have any tips that will speed up loading time? (besides increasing the cache time for each item) Thanks for any help! Your site may be running with debug symbols loaded. DNN is not the quickest of cats, but performance is usually Ok in most environments I gather. Check your web.config to see if debug is set to...

Slow loading site
This site is slow loading much of the time. Seems like it has to do with the number of different parts that compose the page. Is there anything I can do in SM to speed this up? http://www.boston.com/sports/ Thanks Stan -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I'm using the SWEET SUITE, SeaMonkey. Try it at http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ stan wrote: > This site is slow loading much of the time. Seems like it has to do with > the number of different pa...

Slow Loading Site
Hi, I have a site that was loading fairly quickly until I recently implemented CSS.  I have a number of custom classes defined (~10) and use them throughout the site.  Some of the classes customize different links.  Will this result in a much slower load?  I didn't think that CSS would have that kind of effect? Is there any way I can speed the initial page load so users don't give up trying to connect the first time?  I think I read that the CSS is loaded to the users pc the first time they access the site, is this correct?  Is there a way to get the i...

Web resources about - Secure sites load slow or not at all - opensuse.org.network-internet

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Secure Digital or ( SD ) is a non-volatile memory card format for use in portable devices, such as mobile phones , digital cameras , GPS navigation ...

Facebook To Users: ‘Add Your Phone Number To Help Secure Your Account’
Some Facebook users are seeing alerts above the Graph Search bars on their News Feeds , prompting them to “Add your phone number to help secure ...

NAB anxiety index: jobs secure but cost of living makes us anxious
Australians are more secure about their jobs than a year ago but cost of living pressures remain a headache

Perth Scorchers beat Melbourne Renegades as Shaun Marsh, Michael Klinger secure first-ever 10-wicket ...
Perth Scorchers openers Michael Klinger and Shaun Marsh make Big Bash history, recording the first 10-wicket win and wicketless inning in the ...

NAB anxiety index: jobs secure but cost of living makes us anxious
Australians are more secure about their jobs than a year ago but cost of living pressures remain a headache

Cardinals beat Packers to secure playoff bye
The Arizona Cardinals beat the Green Bay Packers and their road to Super Bowl 50 will have one less stop to make.

Millions to lose secure Internet soon
It's all to do with the "SHA-1 Sunset," the expiration of support for a certain level of encryption.

Secure? Yes, usually but with enough effort...
Boss calls this sysadmin/network admin pilot fish into his office with bad news: A machine under someone's desk has been hacked. "Now, this ...

Ditch the sticky notes to keep your passwords handy and secure
In this age of cyber theft, keeping your passwords on a pad of paper or (even worse) an online document just won’t cut it, no matter how indecipherable ...