Network works but not internet

Hi guys, i'm new here and also to Linux and OpenSUSE. I took a class on
Linux and decided to install OpenSUSE. Before, I did a install Ubuntu
but didn't really like it.

I tried to configure my wireless network, at first it didn't work. I am
not sure what exactly did it, next time I booted the laptop into
openSUSE the network could already be connected to. And it works until
now. But the problem is I still can't connect to the internet.

I tried instuctions from some forums, but it didn't work for me. So I
need help in this matter, please if anybody can help me.

Thank you

--
manPerlis

manPerlis
3/26/2010 7:06:01 PM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I'm gonna be that guy and suggest you search the forums before posting.
Your descriptions are not specific enough and tons of network issues
have previously been addressed.  However, I'm also glad you're choosing
OpenSUSE because I like it too.

To get started, go to 'my recent post which is currently on the same
page as yours' (http://tinyurl.com/y9c66j6).  Read this discussion and
follow all of the links there as though you were me posting.

-Check that the network you're connected to does have internet access
-Are your security settings incorrect?  The modern OpenSUSE provides
easy-to-use GUIs for a lot of this.
-Go the app launcher ("start menu") and find yast.  Look around in the
settings here and see if you're configured for "traditional" or using
the network manager.
-you very well may have ipv6 enabled.  There are tons of posts here
about this

--
sp3wn
sp3wn's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15971

0
sp3wn
3/26/2010 7:56:03 PM
Try this: add the IP address of the gateway into the configuration and
the IP addresses of Name Servers (either as provided by your ISP for
your use or somepublic servers like 'Googles servers'
(http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/) or 'openDNS's servers'
(http://www.opendns.com/start/)).

--
'Drop in and visit some time'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=435950

0
swerdna
3/26/2010 9:36:01 PM
thanks sp3wn and swerdna,

my internet access does really work. other computers do have internet
connection. my laptop too, when using windows vista.

I am using wireless LAN to connect to the network.

sorry swerdna for my newbieness, where can I get the gateway IP address
and what is a name servers?

I really hope I can stay with Linux. So, i really need everyones help

p/s: disabling IPv6 in YaST didn't help

thanks everyone

--
manPerlis
manPerlis's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=44013
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=435950

0
manPerlis
4/29/2010 11:06:01 AM
The gateway is the device through which your computer gets access to
the outside, usually it's your router. So the "gateway IP" is the IP
address of your router. Butr it depends how you connect to the outside,
if it's a wifi router then it's the IP of the wifi router, if it's a
wifi modem, that has a router inside of it.

The Name Servers are the computers your ISP sets up for you to go to to
find the IP address of the websites you want to connect to
(automatically). The Name Servers are huge databases of the IP addresses
of all websites. Like yahoo.com is 69.147.125.65, and swerdna.net.au is
117.58.251.11. You'll find the IP addresses of the Name Servers on your
ISP's website in the tech help area. If you can't locate them use these
addresses which are the Servers provided free by the Google corporation:
8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.

--
'Click here if over 18yrs'
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
(http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html).
swerdna's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=84
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=435950

0
swerdna

Network Manager Applet not coming up
Hi, Running networking on cable with openSUSE 11.4 and gnome2. The network & internet was running fine till I installed NFS Server/client via Yast. After that the nm-applet takes too long to come up. When I try to speed it up via the terminal, by typing 'nm-applet', i get the output: An instance of nm-applet is alredy running. constructor(): Couldn't initialize the D-Bus manager. Great help is needed. Thanks, RSP2 -- rsp2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rsp2;2419582 Wrote: > Hi, > > Running ...

connected to network, internet does not work
Hello, I have OpenSUSE 12.1 on my HP ProBook, half year without problem, but now I can`t connect to the internet. I am connected to network via network manager (nm-tool tells I am connected through wired connection (alternatively via wifi)), I can ping both the addresses in the internal and external network, but the firefox (also Konquerror) can`t connect to the internet. Also the updates cant be downloaded. Any idea? The problems seemed to start after incorrect shutdown (low batteries), but I am not sure. Thanks -- jrcz -------------------------------------------------------...

How secure are Fiber Internet networks vs Cable Internet?
My city is rolling out their "Fiber-to-the-Home" service this month. The fiber network is run by the city owned Utilities company. The features are great compared to my current cable internet with Cox. For the same price I am paying for Cox, I can get 50Mbps vs 20Mbps that Cox offers. The fiber comes directly to your house and is connected to a box outside. You then need to run a Ethernet cable from the box to your router. Another feature of the service is 100Mbps Peer to Peer community intranet. This means that I can send and receive things to/from a friend a...

Have network but not Internet
Hi, i update my opensuse factory to RC2, but now when i connect to network by wireless or wire then i have network can acess the router etc... but when i try use the browser or other external web service don't work. Some one have the same problem or can help me? -- wmagician ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hi wmagician, I'm new with Suse first install, here for help too. That said you have your Lan working but not WAN check that it has access to the net(through router), also check port 80 is not blocked port 80 is the HT...

Network and internet not working on 11.1
Hi, As a newbie, I've just installed suse 11.1 on my lpatop with wireless internet . The wireless card is a Realtek RTL 8187b. Anyway, during the final stage of instalation I got a message saying that no network was detected. When it booted into the desktop I couldn't get an internet connection. I understand that my wireless card is supported on the suse 11.1 kernel.Does anyone have any clues why or what I can do? thanks Ives -- ives31 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ that is here 'Wireless - openSUSE Forum...

Internet/Network isn't working
Alright, here's my story. Internet used to work. Then the head of the house changed a bit of the setup. We used to have our modem/router go to another router which then sent cables out to all the PCs (modem/router -> router -> PC). He replaced the router with a switch because it was causing issues with all the other computers (using Windows) in the house (modem/router -> switch -> PC). I had the nice surprise of losing my internet all together. After playing with the settings for a few days my internet magically came back when the computer started one day (I may ...

DNN works locally and not across network or internet
I have a 2003 server serving content fine. I created a new site and installed DNN. Works great - locally. If I try it from another network machine it prompts for user credentials. If I supply them it redirects to http://127.0.0.1/localstart.asp on that machine. If I try from the internet I get a Error 500. If I stop dnn and start my old site all is well again. I've recreated DNN 2x and no luck. It'd be great if the internet ran off my server ;-) Any help or ideas??? Why would hitting the server redirect the mach...

Internet/Network not working on Open Suse 11.2 KDE
Hi Just recently installed Opensuse 11.2 in a KDE environment. The problem I am facing is that when I connect it to my network either via wired or wirless neither getting internet or access to the network although the network manager shows the connection as active I am using a Dlink Di-524 Wireless Router at home The Wirless router for the computer is Broadcom BCM 4312 Was able to install the drivers for this from the packman repository Also when I connect my laptop directly to the internet connection via wired it is working fine. However if i connect it to my wireless router ei...

images are not displayed when approached via internet. On local network it works fine
 Hello,,I have posted this topic before but for some reason the post is vaporized.. I am not able to find it back here.. I have an ajax enabled asp website, on which I display pictures. On my internal network i can view this site and everything works great. But when approached via internet it shows red crosses only instead of pictures...When when i type the imageurl directly in the browser adresbar it shows the image... but via my site.. it just doesn't work... Any advise would be appreciated! Anton  hi,  check the properties of the images folder and see if the...

Network Internet Speed
Hi all, I'm running a two computer wireless network, with computer A hooked into the router, and computer B has a wireless USB adapter. My question is when one user is browsing the web on computer B it uses all the available bandwidth, I'm on 256KB/s DSL. When a user then wishes to use computer A to browse, while B is still in use, computer A has little or no available bandwidth with which to browse, and vise versa. Is there a program or method in which I can specify on how much bandwidth each computer can use? Thanks for any help. Cyclone Cyclone <user@ex...

Network OK but no Internet

Internet speed on network
I have noticed a perplexing issue on my network that I can't figure out. I have four computers behind a router. All of them have Win2000 OS. Each computer has a 100 mbps card. When I run the cnet.com speed test, one computer is slower than the rest about 0.6 mbps. Does anyone have ideas why this is so? In grc.techtalk J Scola wrote: > I have noticed a perplexing issue on my network that I can't > figure out. I have four computers behind a router. All of them > have Win2000 OS. Each computer has a 100 mbps card. When I run > the cnet.com speed test, ...

Network Internet connection
Just upgraded to opensuse12.1 from a positively neolithic 11.1 and have discovered that I have lost my internet connection through the network. Does anyone have a check list so I can track down the problem? -- Nemetode ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 2012-02-20 13:46, Nemetode wrote: > > Just upgraded to opensuse12.1 from a positively neolithic 11.1 and have > discovered that I have lost my internet connection through the network. > Does anyone have a check list so I can track down the problem? If you are using Y...

Connected to network but no internet.
Hello there. I'm trying to connect my openSuse 11.1 system to the internet through my home network. I've spent quite a few hours on this issue and I think I'm almost there. Actually this is my third openSuse install because I wanted to try gnome, kde and xfce but was too stupid to figure how to switch from one to the other. Gnome and KDE's network manager would somehow deal with the b43 drivers I gave them and connect me to my network. Now I'm using xfce which I like a lot more than these two but I cant have it connected to the internet. Here's what I have...

Web resources about - Network works but not internet - opensuse.org.network-internet

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... government networks of local to global scope, linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies. The Internet ...

Internets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Internets ", also known as " The Internets ", is a Bushism -turned- catchphrase used humorously to portray the speaker as ignorant about the ...

Internet Evolution - The Macrosite for News, Analysis, and Opinion about the Future of the Internet
The next big leap forward in the history of the Internet is happening now: Internet Evolution (www.internetevolution.com) is a Web 2.0 online ...

Smart homes, cyber security, and the Internet of Things: Five trends at CES 2016
Smart homes, cyber security, and the Internet of Things: Five trends at CES 2016 ITBusiness.ca It's that time of year again – between Jan. ...

Wi-Fi HaLow: Long-Range, Low-Power Wi-Fi for Internet-of-Things Devices
... are more than 6.8 billion devices with Wi-Fi technology in use today, but the number of devices that need to share data or access the Internet ...

What's next for Internet of Things?
In 2015, the Internet of Things (IoT) developed significantly and saw increased interest from a range of industries. A whole host of new devices ...

How different networking standards are competing to connect the Internet of Things
The Internet of Things (IoT) — a vast network of connected devices — is set to become the world’s largest device market over the next decade, ...

Internet mocks Oregon militia with "Vanilla ISIS," "Y'all Qaeda"
Militia group at the center of a standoff also the center of attention on social media; #Yee Hawdists