internet not working

*I am new to linux . I had opensuse 10.3 before this opensuse 11. I am
have a problem that on system tray it shows that wire network got
connected but when i run firefox than it wont work. means no access to
internet .i don't know what is problem .

please help me. i have DSL.*

--
cancertropica

cancertropica
6/24/2008 7:56:04 AM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You say that in the KDE desktop you have internet, but FireFox is
oblivious of it. In order to rule out some issues you can try:

0. try using konqueror.
1. go into a terminal and issue the following command:
'ping 'openSUSE.org' (http://www.opensuse.org)'
If you get 0% loss, you have internet!
2. go into yast -> network -> network card
select this and deactivate IPv6 option. Reboot and chances are high
that everything works.

--
Tom2k
Tom2k's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2140

0
Tom2k
6/24/2008 8:06:03 AM
thank you for your fast reply. now my INTERNET is working.

--
cancertropica
cancertropica's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=2648
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=387134

0
cancertropica

Network works but not internet
Hi guys, i'm new here and also to Linux and OpenSUSE. I took a class on Linux and decided to install OpenSUSE. Before, I did a install Ubuntu but didn't really like it. I tried to configure my wireless network, at first it didn't work. I am not sure what exactly did it, next time I booted the laptop into openSUSE the network could already be connected to. And it works until now. But the problem is I still can't connect to the internet. I tried instuctions from some forums, but it didn't work for me. So I need help in this matter, please if anybody can help me....

connected to network, internet does not work
Hello, I have OpenSUSE 12.1 on my HP ProBook, half year without problem, but now I can`t connect to the internet. I am connected to network via network manager (nm-tool tells I am connected through wired connection (alternatively via wifi)), I can ping both the addresses in the internal and external network, but the firefox (also Konquerror) can`t connect to the internet. Also the updates cant be downloaded. Any idea? The problems seemed to start after incorrect shutdown (low batteries), but I am not sure. Thanks -- jrcz -------------------------------------------------------...

How secure are Fiber Internet networks vs Cable Internet?
My city is rolling out their "Fiber-to-the-Home" service this month. The fiber network is run by the city owned Utilities company. The features are great compared to my current cable internet with Cox. For the same price I am paying for Cox, I can get 50Mbps vs 20Mbps that Cox offers. The fiber comes directly to your house and is connected to a box outside. You then need to run a Ethernet cable from the box to your router. Another feature of the service is 100Mbps Peer to Peer community intranet. This means that I can send and receive things to/from a friend a...

Network and internet not working on 11.1
Hi, As a newbie, I've just installed suse 11.1 on my lpatop with wireless internet . The wireless card is a Realtek RTL 8187b. Anyway, during the final stage of instalation I got a message saying that no network was detected. When it booted into the desktop I couldn't get an internet connection. I understand that my wireless card is supported on the suse 11.1 kernel.Does anyone have any clues why or what I can do? thanks Ives -- ives31 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ that is here 'Wireless - openSUSE Forum...

SuSE 11.2 install: Internet works, but internet test fails
At some point, the install process asks whether to test internet access. I replied Yes, and the test failed. Retries also failed, leading me to conclude, mistakenly, that the ethernet card was not supported by SuSE 11.2. Finally I elected to skip the test, resigned to the loss of internet access. The install program then proceeded to access online repositories without difficulty, and I had no further difficulty accessing the internet. So why the misleading test result? -- Iconoclasmic ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I find...

Internet works, pauses, then works again
So I made the switch to OpenSuSE from Ubuntu about....3 days ago, so everything is new to me again, specially KDE 3.5.9. Well I noticed today while browsing the web that when I'm wired or wireless the internet works fine for a while, then seems to pause and doesn't load websites then all of a sudden it works great again.:eek: Not a huge deal, but kinda annoying. Anyone have any ideas? -- CCBalla10 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Is it possible that this is non-network related, such as a scheduled job happening at the t...

About an internet LAN and a HSDPA wireless Internet connected and working at the same time in one PC
Hi.,sorry, i don't know if this is the right place to ask this but i regularly post  here so maybe someone could still help me or tell me were to ask for.this is my problemThis is the set UP:                          Physical PC (Host)                                          Virtual PC (Guest)OS         ...

Internet/Network isn't working
Alright, here's my story. Internet used to work. Then the head of the house changed a bit of the setup. We used to have our modem/router go to another router which then sent cables out to all the PCs (modem/router -> router -> PC). He replaced the router with a switch because it was causing issues with all the other computers (using Windows) in the house (modem/router -> switch -> PC). I had the nice surprise of losing my internet all together. After playing with the settings for a few days my internet magically came back when the computer started one day (I may ...

DNN works locally and not across network or internet
I have a 2003 server serving content fine. I created a new site and installed DNN. Works great - locally. If I try it from another network machine it prompts for user credentials. If I supply them it redirects to http://127.0.0.1/localstart.asp on that machine. If I try from the internet I get a Error 500. If I stop dnn and start my old site all is well again. I've recreated DNN 2x and no luck. It'd be great if the internet ran off my server ;-) Any help or ideas??? Why would hitting the server redirect the mach...

online Update not working, internet works
Hi there! I'm very new to Linux. I tried to set up my internet connection using the network manager and not the classic iufp method. At first it just didn't work but after deactivating IPv6 I got it working: firefox can connect to the internet. What troubles me is the online update with Update Applet. The following message pops up: "Error: packageKit error repo-not-available: Failed to download /media from http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.2/repo/oss/" Also when I go to Yast->Software->Software repositories I get the msg: Systemadministration i...

Internet mail slow, internet in and out
HI All, gw6.5.3, gwava 3.6 I know some of this might be really stupid question/statement, but hey we had some "experts" here that could not do anything for my either... so here goes.. Right i have been struggling with this now for very very long, here is the scenario, during the day, mail is extremly slow to go out and in.....right you say maybe it's your internet line that is slow...(well this is South Africa and we only have 2mb pipe for our lets say 5000 users (email and internet), BUT i do not believe this completly, tell you why....one department (legislate -...

Working on the Internet!
Hi, I install in my pc an Apache server (v1.3.x) for working locally and I have administrative rights to a hosting account, I am using Windows XP + SP2 + fixes up to date and I'm very concerned about security over the internet; I wanted to know if there is anything I should do to enforce my security under this scenario that I may have not knowledge of. I have no firewall installed (only the Windows XP firewall) and the test in ShieldsUp! tell me that only my 80 port is open, witch I think is normal. I have a DSL account via router connected 24hs a day. Thanks for any suggestio...

Forwarding Messages From Internet To Internet
We are using GroupWise 6.5.1 If we use the simple Forward option to forward a message received from an Internet correspondent and forward it out to another Internet correspondent, the receiver of that forwarded message gets the message as if it were sent from the original message's author not from the person that forwarded it. This does not occur if the message is sent using the option to Forward As Attachment, nor does it occur if forwarding an internal message out to an Internet address. Is this working correctly or do we have a bug? Use delegate in your...

Internet not working in browser, but connection is working
Hello all, i'm new in the linux field, but i decided to give it a try and install it. I have installed fedora 10 first, but i had the same problem, and i wasn't very happy with that version. So today i downloaded openSUSE 11.1 and after installing i noticed i have the same problem. The wire connection is active, the ping from the console is working, i have pinged the router i'm connected to and google. it's working. from the browser i am able to connect to the router interface, but i'm not able to access any webpage. i have runed a ifconfig, this is what i get : ...

Internet working. Package management not working
Hello all, I use an internet connection with a proxy. I have set the proxy in Firefox and systemsettings so now I can browse the web and I can ping Google from Console. But when I start Software Management, it says "Cannot access installation media". Whats wrong? -- wirate ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Did you setup the proxy on YaST2? Network Serveces -> Proxy -- VampirD Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning Stops working when you open a window. ------------------------------------------------------...

Web resources about - internet not working - opensuse.org.network-internet

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link several billion ...

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... government networks of local to global scope, linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless, and optical networking technologies. The Internet ...

Internets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Internets ", also known as " The Internets ", is a Bushism -turned- catchphrase used humorously to portray the speaker as ignorant about the ...

Internet Evolution - The Macrosite for News, Analysis, and Opinion about the Future of the Internet
The next big leap forward in the history of the Internet is happening now: Internet Evolution (www.internetevolution.com) is a Web 2.0 online ...

Internet.org Free Basics Now Available Throughout India
The Free Basics services from Internet.org are now available throughout India via the Reliance Communications network. Facebook co-founder and ...

Comcast, Time Warner Cable get 71% of new Internet subscribers
(credit: Mike Mozart ) Comcast and Time Warner Cable are dominating the market for new wireline Internet subscribers in the US, with AT&T and ...

Chinese woman missing for 10 years is found living in an internet cafe
... surfaced again. Last week, police in China found the 24-year-old alive and well, having spent the last decade living and playing in internet ...

Only The Internet Has the Power to Turn the Lockdown in Belgium into a Time to Tweet Cat Pictures
On Sunday night, as a major anti-terror police operation was under way in Brussels, authorities asked the public to not report officers' movements ...

Taiwan 3Q15 international Internet bandwidth rises to 1.611Tbps, says TWNIC
Taiwan's direct Internet connection with 15 countries (including Hong Kong and Macao) reached total bandwidth of 1.611Tbps as of the end of third-quarter ...