Browsing secure sites (https) is very slow.

Hello,

I've recently installed openSUSE 11.4 (64 bit) on my system and am
experiencing severe performance issues with websites using https (any
site using https). Page loads over https take anywhere between 30
seconds to 2 minutes. It's the same issue posted here 'Secure sites load
slow or not at all' (http://tinyurl.com/3tak4f5) -- there was no
confirmed solution.

- My router/hardware configuration has not changed in a long time and
I've run Ubuntu, Arch Linux, and Windows XP on the same machine within
the last year and have not had any issues.

- I also have a laptop running Arch Linux (kernel 2.6.38) and this
problem does not occur using Firefox 4 or Chrome. To add to the madness
this problem occurs while running Firefox 4 inside a Windows 7 guest via
virtual box, but NOT while running IE 8 inside the same guest.

- This issue occurs using Firefox 4, Chromium, Opera, Konqueror, and
Arora.

- I've disabled ipv6 in Firefox via about:config.

- I've disabled ipv6 in yast and have attempted to use both the "ifup"
and "networkmanager" options.

- I am not using a proxy server.

- I've attempted the fix posted in the Ubuntu forums for a similar
problem '[ubuntu] [SOLVED] Banking Site is very slow - Ubuntu Forums'
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=959637) to no avail, i.e.,

Code:
--------------------

  # as root
  echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling
  # append to /etc/sysctl.conf
  net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0

--------------------

- SSH and retrieving mail via IMAP + SSL does not appear to be
affected.

- Download speeds and regular page loads are not affected.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

--
coffee_addict

coffee
5/21/2011 9:06:03 PM
opensuse.org.network-internet 6943 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Also, the issue does not occur if I use my work VPN.

--
coffee_addict
coffee_addict's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=58845

0
coffee
5/21/2011 9:36:04 PM
coffee_addict;2342947 Wrote:
> Also, the issue does not occur if I use my work VPN.

That suggests that the problem might be with your ISP, and not with
your computer.

--
-using openSuSE 11.4; KDE 4.6.0;-
nrickert's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=49759
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460233

0
nrickert
5/21/2011 10:06:04 PM
You have DNS issues in the no VPN configuration.

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460233

0
ken
5/21/2011 11:06:02 PM
UPDATE

OK, I was mistaken, the problem is NOT happening in Konqueror or Arora
(I was confusing myself with another issue I have with Facebook).

After playing around with Firefox, Chromium, and Konqueror for the last
little while, this is what is
happening:

Firefox / Chromium
- after starting the browser all https page loads are slow
- after attempting to load an https page a few times it eventually
loads quickly
- after the spontaneous quick page load, all https page loads are quick
for about a minute
- after a minute all https page loads are slow again
- using VPN fixes the problem

Konqueror / Arora
- no issues

I have been testing by doing the following:

No VPN:
Start Konq., go to gmail.com - success, go to banking site - success
Start Firefox, go to gmail.com - slow, go to banking site - slow
Start Chromium, go to gmail.com - slow, go to banking site - slow
Close all browsers

Start VPN
Ping google.com to ensure connection is up
Start Konq., go to gmail.com - success, go to banking site - success
Start Firefox, go to gmail.com - success, go to banking site - success
Start Chromium, go to gmail.com - success, go to banking site -
success
Close all browsers
Disconnect from VPN
Repeat

Where slow is 30 seconds to > 1 minute.
I should also note that my VPN (using VPNC) doesn't always seem to work
(i.e., NetworkManager says I'm connected but I can't ping anything),
although this does occur on my other Linux machine (laptop) as well (and
when not at home).

Could this still be an ISP issue if it works for some browsers but not
others?
This is just really weird.

--

ken_yap;2342985 Wrote:
> You have DNS issues in the no VPN configuration.
Maybe Firefox and Chromium cache DNS results differently than
Konqueror?

But I don't see how changing between http and https is related to doing
name resolution, I can browse to http://facebook (dot) com and it's
"instant", but https://facebook (dot) com is very slow for instance.

And if I do:
lsof | grep firefox | grep TCP
When connected in http I see the same domains as when I'm connected in
https.

Am I missing something here?

--
coffee_addict
coffee_addict's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=58845
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460233

0
coffee
5/22/2011 11:06:05 PM
https requires reverse mapping of IP addresses to guard against
spoofing.

I wouldn't trust konqueror to do everything correctly. It has quite a
few quirks.

--

ken_yap;2343488 Wrote:
> https requires reverse mapping of IP addresses to guard against
> spoofing.
Ah, that's something I didn't know.

OK, so I tried doing:
$ host [ some IP ]
and it is "instant", I don't know if that's indicative of anything
though, I don't have much knowledge of these networking issues as you
can probably tell.

I guess I should just call my ISP at this point.

--
coffee_addict
coffee_addict's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=58845
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=460233

0
coffee

FF2.0+Norton Internet Security & https sites
Hi. Anyone experienced problems accessing https web addresses using FF 2.0? I can access all other web addresses without problem, bu the only way I can access an https address is by first deactivating Norton Internet Security. I didn't experience this problem with FF 1.5. Any suggestions? Thanks, Derek Derek J. Johnston wrote: > Hi. > > Anyone experienced problems accessing https web addresses using FF > 2.0? I can access all other web addresses without problem, bu the > only way I can access an https address is by first deactivating > Norton Intern...

Delphi XE2/XE4 SLow startup secure network without internet
Hi. Was hoping to get some help on tweaking Delphi XE2/XE4 for running on a secure network without Internet connection. Main issue is that startup is very slow. It seems that Delphi is trying to phone home... "Check for Update during startup" was disabled when installed. Br Petter Petter Topp wrote: > It seems that Delphi is trying to phone home... Not home, but it broadcasts to your networt if there is another instance running (counting the number of active licenses?). At least if you start Delphi twice (and one with a debugger attached) you get "Cannot o...

security message("page contains secure and non secure items") coming on https: site
Hi we have developed a site and url of that site begins with https . Now everwhever page loads it gives a security message that " page contains secure and non secure items'. We donot want this message to come on our site. I read a few articles saying that my image should come from relative path or I should use css classes for images or there should not be any http url in my page. I have implemented these solutions also but still my page is giving this security message.   If any body could tell me how to avoid this message.   A lot of thanks in advance..  ...

How secure are Fiber Internet networks vs Cable Internet?
My city is rolling out their "Fiber-to-the-Home" service this month. The fiber network is run by the city owned Utilities company. The features are great compared to my current cable internet with Cox. For the same price I am paying for Cox, I can get 50Mbps vs 20Mbps that Cox offers. The fiber comes directly to your house and is connected to a box outside. You then need to run a Ethernet cable from the box to your router. Another feature of the service is 100Mbps Peer to Peer community intranet. This means that I can send and receive things to/from a friend a...

Norton Internet Security Blocked Site Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerability
http://www.secunia.com/advisories/10067/ Secunia Advisory: SA10067 Release Date: 2003-10-28 Critical: Less critical Impact: Cross Site Scripting Where: From remote Software: Norton Internet Security 2003 Norton Internet Security 2004 Description: A vulnerability has been reported in Symantec Norton Internet Security (NIS), which can be exploited by malicious people to conduct Cross-Site Scripting attacks against a user. The vulnerability is caused due to missing input validation when a requested URL is included in a blocked site error message returned to the user. This can ...

https site are very slow
Hi to all, firstable i don't know is it's a firefox problem or a windows (xp) one. I use FF 2.0.0.3 and when i try to browse a site via https i need to do a lot of reload, clean cache, etc etc. Browsing is very slow (for example gmail). On http site browsing is very fast. Does anyone know what i do wrong ? i've both ssl and tls enabled. Thanks Mike Mike wrote: > Hi to all, firstable i don't know is it's a firefox problem or a > windows (xp) one. > > I use FF 2.0.0.3 and when i try to browse a site via https i need to > do a lot of...

Slow Network Browsing
Hello all, I have a netware 5.1 server and many Window XP Pro machine that connect to the network, all are pretty much setup the same. The computers are from Dell with Windows XP pre-installed, all I do is install the Novell client and their ready to go. I have a couple of users out of the group that when they browse the network (on mapped drives) it seems to hesitate when hitting the back button or simply just opening other folders. I have searched and read many technotes and have tried many things but have had no luck. Can anyone suggest anything? The last thing I tried w...

returning from secure site to non secure site
Hi, I want to return from secure site to non secure site using Response.Redirect method but it stays in secure site dowsn't redirect to non https site. How can I fix this problem, and why it is a problem. Kind regards,Fatih UÇAR To redirect between a SSL site to a non SSL site, you have to specify the full qualified url (including the protocol) as the parameter for response.redirect. For example: Response.Redirect("http://.....") or Response.Redirect("https://.....") Thanks zhuhua for your answer yes I have specified fully qualified name that's why an alert box appears by i...

Slow internet browsing?
Hey everyone. I'm running 11.2 on a Dell Latitude D630. Everything has been great other than issues with Suspend and hibernate not working correctly. However after about a month of use browsing the web has really slowed down bad. It doesn't seem to matter if it's in Firefox or Chrome either. I am using a wireless connection that is getting the signal at 85-95%. Even though I still tried using a direct cat-5 connection to the router and it was still slow as well. I have the fastest broadband connection my cable offers and my windows boxes on the same network are still flyi...

atlas Hover Menu secure/non-secure warning on HTTPS site on mouseover for popup
I'm getting "This page contains both secure and non secure items.  Do you want to display the non-secure" warning  when I mouseover the linkbutton that launches the popup menu.  It works fine on my http dev server but not, of course, on my production https box.  The interesting thing is the popup works fine  regardless of whether you click yes, no, or cancel and it only prompts once for that page - all the popup menus (I have multiple) work fine after that on the same page. I've built in a little preference toggle so my peeps can turn it off, but do you at...

When loading gmail must always "reload" once unless using the secure loading site. When using the secure loading site loading takes four times as long. So I don't use the secure loading site, I just
Name: Dwight Metcalfe Email: dwmet1atgmaildotco Product: Firefox Summary: When loading gmail must always "reload" once unless using the secure loading site. When using the secure loading site loading takes four times as long. So I don't use the secure loading site, I just "reload" the other site once automatically just to save time. Hmmmmmmmm. Comments: Only been doing that about a month. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to reade...

Slow slow internet
I read about issues with Google, but in general I am seeing poor response from a number of sites. Mail delivery taking a long time etc. Just found out from Sans, seems to be a problem at ATT that took down Google and possibly Twitter. http://isc.sans.org/ Very cool tool referenced: http://just-ping.com Try it with google.com and see how things are looking... -Bob Carroll "GofBorg" <GofBorg@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote in message news:fiZOl.211$rb5.47@kovat.provo.novell.com... > Just found out from Sans, seems to be a problem at ATT > that too...

Browse through Site to Site VPN to web site
I am having a couple of problems, we'll start with how I found out I'm having the problem. I have a Site to Site VPN connection running BM 3.7 sp2 with tcp607j, bm37fp3b. It is running on NW6 SP3. Both servers are configured this way. Someone from my remote office called and told me they could not send PDF files from their copier to anyone. Our Canon copier has a "send to email" PDF function that did work prior to patching the server in Columbus. I thought it was a copier problem and proceded in that direction, it is not a copier problem. I also have a ...

Slow Browsing To Internal Sites
I have a problem which has just started to occur. If I browse to an internal server using the IP address response is slow, even though I check Bypass proxy server for local addresses. If I use the DNS name response is fine. If deselect the Use proxy server box in LAN settings on the browser and browse internally via the IP address response is now fine. Any ideas?? Paul. Paul Slade wrote: > > I have a problem which has just started to occur. If I browse to an internal > server using the IP address response is slow, even though I check Bypass > proxy server for...

Web resources about - Browsing secure sites (https) is very slow. - opensuse.org.network-internet

Browsing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the type of herbivory, see Browsing (herbivory) . For using a web browser, see web navigation . This article includes a list of references ...

Privacy Groups Take Aim at Facebook’s Tracking of Users’ Outside Browsing
Facebook’s announcement last month that it will include data from non-Facebook websites and applications in its ad preferences tool did not sit ...

Secure browsing by default
We now use https by default for all Facebook users. This feature, which we first introduced as an option two years ago , means that your browser ...

Facebook for Android v1.6 Adds Video Uploading and Page Browsing
The latest version of the popular native Android mobile app, Facebook for Android v1.6 , lets users browse Page walls, upload videos to Facebook, ...

Mobile app updates: Enhancements to search, web browsing and more
... to see an example. We’re also introducing a couple features specifically on Twitter for iPhone and Twitter for iPad. Tweets and web browsing: ...

Purify Blocker: Fast, Clutter-free Web Browsing in Safari on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Purify Blocker: Fast, Clutter-free Web Browsing in Safari. Download ...

just browsing - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore iamtheo's photos on Flickr. iamtheo has uploaded 1953 photos to Flickr.

Opera Coast 4 - Break your browsing habits - YouTube
Opera Coast is a completely new way to browse the web on your iPhone and iPad. You can now download this easy-to-use browser and discover exciting ...

George Brandis video shows he questioned storage of web browsing data in 2012
A day after the Attorney-General's train wreck interview, in which he attempted to explain details of his government's data retention policy, ...

Facebook starts using your web browsing history to target ads
... this week stepped up efforts to make a buck off its 1.5 billion monthly active users. For years it has been collecting data about users' browsing ...