Partitioning failure on install

I have a colleague whose XP laptop got a nasty bit of BHO malware.
After bragging that I could get rid of it, I spent many hours in
failure. Basically, it is a browser hijacker that won't go away.  The
solutions I find online go back to 2003 and require that I develop an
equation to reconcile dark matter with anti-matter.  I installed 4
different commercial "solutions" that didn't work.

Giving up on fixing it, I tried to install 11.4 from a Live-CD.
Accepting the suggested partitioning scheme, I was about to stand up, go
away, and let opensuse do its thing.  Immediately, a gray message box
popped up and said it could not partition the disk because of a certain
block problem.  I tried to set this up as dual boot both to continue
access to the windows data and in the hopes I might someday find a cure
for the malware.  I have 2 options that I have yet to try: a) tell the
install disk to take the whole disk and hope it works; or b) use a nuke
disk I have to wipe the HD.

My preference is to dual boot.  Is there any other option I should try?

--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -
Arthur C. Clarke

Prexy
6/13/2011 4:06:02 AM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Try partitioning with parted magic
Then install

--
Box: 11.4 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 11.4  | Duo T4300 | KDE 4.6.0 |  Gnome 2.3 | Intel M4 Graphics
| Lenovo G550 | 3GB RAM
Lap#2: 12.1  | KDE 4.6.3 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
'Forum Terms and Conditions'
(http://forums.opensuse.org/faq.php?faq=novfor#faq_novellgen)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461393

0
caf4926
6/13/2011 4:36:03 AM
>   Immediately, a gray message box popped up and said it could not
> partition the disk because of a certain block problem.

You may want to run a file system check on your NTFS from a windows
install or recovery disk.

--
dvhenry
dvhenry's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37839
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461393

0
dvhenry
6/14/2011 11:36:03 AM
I ran chkdsk a couple of times including chkdsk /f and it didn't cure
the problems.  My colleague was impatient, so I ended up with a nuke &
pave.  I moved the data into the cloud with Spider Oak except for a 425
MB Outlook file.  I burned that to a CD.  Now, there is a password
problem.  The laptop was not password protected, i.e. password was
blank.  However, it appears that the .pst file is password protected.  I
did not set a password and don't understand why it would get one when
there was open access to the file in its original form.  Any Windows
guru have a tip for me?

I ALMOST got them to switch to opensuse.  But almost doesn't count.

--
Prexy's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=233
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=461393

0
Prexy

To install or not to install?

installer-help.lang (stub installer failing -> fallback download page on mozilla.org)
Hi guys, I put a new lang file on mozilla.org, this is an help page that shows up of for some reason the stub installer for Firefox is not working and this page proposes a direct install: Generic: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/installer-help/ With a parameter added by the installer: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/installer-help/?channel=release It's 5 strings only to get this feature activated for your locale. Check your webdashboard status: http://l10n.mozilla-community.org/webdashboard/ Cheers Pascal ...

Help
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The server object and "servername-PS" objects have been created, but the = server seems to have stuck! Any ideas? I had to type IP address of server with replica, which seemed to work = (installing over VPN link, but I've done this before with no trouble and = there is no problem I'm aware of with the link - everything else works) Cheers, Peter. --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____WHPEPQY...

Install stops after package installation failure
I currently run 10.3 on my nVidia/Intel Quadcore box that has 3gb of ram and tons of disk space. I am trying to install the 32bit 11.0 on an empyt 50gb partition and just haven't had any luck. I've tried it 4 or 5 times, over the last week, and every time it fails with the same dialog box: Installation of some packages failed. The last two times, I watched the details. The first time, after picking KDE3, it fail at 24% done with the ispell-american packages at 100%. The second time, after picking KDE4, it failed at 56%, after the icewm-lite package was at 100%. Everythin...

MSDE Installation Help -- Installation Error (SetUp Failed To Configure The Server.) Help!
Dear Forum,   I am attempting to install MSDE to my PC in order to work with databases from my ASP.NET Web Matrix program.  So far I was able to do the following... Drop to the command line a extract the MSDE files from a CD ROM Select and initiate the setup.exe file and begin running the installation However, the installation gets hung up when attempting to configure the server.  I checked the error logs and the last log entry prior to the installation error message reads... "SQL Server is terminating due to 'stop' request from Service Control Manager." After which...

Install Failure
Installed the latest update to Mozilla. After the file extracted it went through the install process and then failed during install stating "Error "MozMap.32.dll. No help is given and now I can't launch my old version as it took away my old executable file. Any ideas? *-* On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 20:58:50 -0800 (PST), *-* In Article ab60edf4-ee35-46fb-ac6b-b5ca7ebed776@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com, *-* 49er wrote *-* About Install Failure - HELP! > Installed the latest update to Mozilla. After the file extracted it > went through the install process and the...

help with installing into partitions
i have windows xp installed in my computer as well as ubuntu karmic koala, i got to the part of disk partiotioning in the installation of opensuse 11.2 and i really didnt know what to do, so , can someone please guide me thruogh here? this is my fdisk Code: -------------------- Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Disk identifier: 0xf5f3f5f3 Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 * 1 3922 31503433+ 7 H...

Visual Web Developer 2008 SP1 install failure
Hi,I'm running Vista Home Premium Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000 which came pre-installed with Framework versions 1.0.3705, 1.1.4322, 2.0.50727, 3.0 and 3.5.I've downloaded Visual Web Developer SP1 (vwdsetup.exe) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F3FBB04E-92C2-4701-B4BA-92E26E408569&displaylang=en and have tried installing it but the installation process will not go any further than the step shown in the following screenshot.  It tries to re-establish connection with server 5 times and then gives up and fails. I've also installed Framework v...

Is there a Gzip installer that I could install ?
Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop interface .. is direct package installed that I could use opening it on files using the right click method from windows ? "open with" / "chosen freeware" = click ! -- Cypher7 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cypher7 wrote: > > Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop > interface The linux desktop interface can be a lot of things, KDE,GNOME, windowmaker to name but a few. > .. is direct packa...

no install after installing jvm141
i have waited for a few days now to see if anyone would reply to my last response and got nothing so far so i figured i would repost everything in hopes that someone woudl be able to help me, please read below. ============================ In article , wrote: > i cant find the install opption on the GUI to install imanager. i just > updated to the newest jvm and the gui looks totally differnet, and the > start options all changed. any ideas? > What exact NetWare version are you using (including SP)? In theory, you should use the "install" option in ...

Occassional appearance of Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install
Since upgrading to 3.1.1 I am getting the occasional redirection to Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install.  Is anyone else recieving this or does this suggest the installation script didn't complete?Jonathan Palmer Check your web.config and see if install=true.... In a previous version this was happening to me until i turned it off. ...

Installation Failure! Please help
Hello to everyone reading this,   I am a recent graduate and are looking to use of the starter kits "Classified Starter Kit" but have not been able to install the C# one. I have read all the posts and havent seen anyone with a similar problem. I guess i am not doing something right. I have decided to register and plea to you guys for help. When i try to install, it comes back saying "Error Installing! Installation stopped because the directory for the ProjectType value did not exist.  The project type is invalid for your installation of Visual Studio." I a...

Installation Failure- Please Help
I've downloaded the Netware 6.5 90 day eval and can't get it to install. I am an experienced Unix/Linux admin. I have never touched NetWare. Equipment: A Dell PowerEdge 2800. I have 2 73GB drives and no RAID controller. Nothing else is terribly special about the system. Here are the steps I have followed. When I first boot from the Novell 6.5 OS CD I am first promted with- 'I' - Install a new server 'C' - Create a boot floppy I have booted from the floppy created from the CD and done an 'fdisk \x' and deleted all partitions on my hard ...

Web resources about - Partitioning failure on install - opensuse.org.help.install

Disk partitioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A partition editor software program can be used to create, resize, delete, and manipulate these partitions on the HDD. A partition consists of ...

[FOSDEM 2014] Jailhouse, a Partitioning Hypervisor for Linux - YouTube
Jailhouse, a Partitioning Hypervisor for Linux Speaker: Jan Kiszka This talk will introduce the architecture of Jailhouse, describe typical use ...

The Partitioning of the Western World
... appeared in German at Politically Incorrect . The translator includes this note: Below is an essay by W. Schmidt entitled “The Partitioning ...

Wind River Introduces Safe Partitioning
VxWorks safety solutions for industrial and automotive applications

PSA: New Nook Color partitioning only leaves 1GB for music, other sideloaded content
If you're planning to pick up a Nook Color, keep an eye out for a little blue dot on the box no, they're not defective, but new models with the ...

Parted Magic partitioning tool updated
The 4.11 update to the open source Parted Magic multi-platform partitioning tool is based on the 2.6.32.15 Linux kernel and Parted 2.3

SteamOS Beta Now Supports Dual-Boot and Custom Partitioning
When we first took a look at installing the SteamOS beta , it lacked important features like dual-booting or using non-NVIDIA graphics cards. ...

Resource Partitioning and Why It Matters
How can seemingly similar species coexist in the same ecological community without one pushing the other to extinction through competition? What ...

Partitioning a Hard Drive in Vista
How to proceed with a PC that has Windows Vista preinstalled.