How to install with RAID already installed for XP?

Hi all. 1st post.
I currently dual boot with Ubuntu 9.04 but somehow have a difficult
time with RAID. I'm not sure which RAID array was installed as it was
setup by a computer shop. At 1st, they had RAID-0 with both 120Gb HDDs
acting as one 240Gb. I had this reset to 2-120Gb HDDs that store date
independently. There is a RAID influence as if one of the 120Gb HDDs is
not plugged in, XP will boot slow if at all. I don't see any mirroring
of data which would be, I think, RAID-1. The MB manual says it supports
RAID-0 or RAID-1. But most say it acts like RAID-5. A 3rd HDD, 200Gb,
was later installed. This is were Ubuntu is installed.

I installed Ubuntu without RAID. It does boot normal; very fast but XP
boots extremely slow now. I believe it's because there was a type of
RAID installed long ago with XP, & that's why there are 2 XPs in the
boot list which is listed below & is the current GRUB menu (boot
selection startup page).
So, is there something needed in installing openSUSE 11.1 to get the
correct dual boot? I never could, nor could anyone else, figure this out
in Ubuntu.

Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28.11-generic
Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28.11-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu 9.04, memtest86+
Other operating systems:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

This is how the PC is setup.
XP is on C: (sda) & some info for RAID on G: (sdb). Both are 120Gb each
(not 240Gb in RAID-0) & store data independently. F: (sdc) is where
Ubuntu 9.04 in installed & is 200Gb. This HDD was installed long after
the initial XP install, so, no RAID influence.
I appreciate all suggestions.
GARoss

--
GARoss

GARoss
5/18/2009 3:26:02 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

RAID 5 would require 3 drives minimum.  They could not have done RAID 5
with 2 120s.

Ubuntu may be seeing them as 2 drives because the RAID array may be in
firmware/software.  If it is not a true hardware RAID, the OS will see
the drives for what they are.

--
mark54g
mark54g's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=24676

0
mark54g
5/18/2009 7:36:01 PM
Can you post this output?

Code:
--------------------
    su
  fdisk -l
--------------------

--
openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64) with KDE 4.2.86 (Release 125) on MacBook Pro
syampillai's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10369
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=414727

0
syampillai
5/19/2009 3:36:01 AM
syampillai;1987874 Wrote:
> Can you post this output?

Code:
--------------------
  >   > su
  > fdisk -l
--------------------

Thanks,
Here's the info;

marie@marie-desktop:~$ sudo -s
[sudo] password for marie:
root@marie-desktop:~# su
root@marie-desktop:/home/marie# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x303cb472

/dev/sda1   *           1       14592   117210208+   7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xb0c7ba6a

/dev/sdb1   *           1       14593   117218241    7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdc: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x7e5c9c32

/dev/sdc1               1       23947   192354246   83  Linux
/dev/sdc2           23948       24321     3004155    5  Extended
/dev/sdc5           23948       24321     3004123+  82  Linux swap /
Solaris

Disk /dev/sdd: 512 MB, 512999424 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 994 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdd1   *           1         993      500440+   6  FAT16

GARoss's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=28124
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=414727

0
GARoss
5/19/2009 9:06:01 PM
Your current configuration does not show any RAID.
I think there was a RAID-1 configuration sometime back and that is why
you got the same XP image on sda and sdb.
sdc contains Ubuntu.
You may install openSUSE on sdb but before that, just double-check in
the BIOS that BIOS level RAID is off now.
Typically, if the BIOS level RAID-1 is on, OS will see only sda and not
sdb.

--
openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64) with KDE 4.2.86 (Release 125) on MacBook Pro
syampillai's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10369
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=414727

0
syampillai
5/19/2009 10:06:03 PM
I've got to admit, the whole thing is very strange.
At one time I tried to install Ubuntu on the 200Gb HDD without either
of the 120s plugged in (I was afraid of deleting XP & other data). It
installed & wanted to re-boot but boot failed. There must be some start
up information on one or both of the 120s because it never would boot
without the 120s plugged in.
Then, I unplugged the 200Gb with Ubuntu & tried to boot XP by plugging
C: in by itself just to make sure I didn't screw up the PC. I don't
recall how long I waited, but abandoned this & plugged in the other 120
HDD & it booted normal. I kind of lost my nerve & deleted Ubuntu off the
200Gb.
After Ubuntu introduced the stable version of 9.04 & I installed Ubuntu
again but this time with all HDDs plugged in so it would write a dual
boot menu. Everything works but XP is very slow to boot. Once booted,
however, operation speed seems very normal.
Somehow, both 120s are needed for a normal XP boot & with GRUB
configured as it is, I can select only one. However XP handled this
before is missing in GRUB.
Thanks for your input!

--
GARoss
GARoss's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=28124
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=414727

0
GARoss
5/20/2009 12:06:01 PM
I can't comment on why XP is booting slowly without the 2nd disk. XP may
be keeping some status about the earlier configuration.

If you don't want to disturb the 2nd disk, just repartition Ubuntu and
for sure, you can find place for openSUSE too.

--
openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64) with KDE 4.2.86 (Release 125) on MacBook Pro
syampillai's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10369
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=414727

0
syampillai
5/20/2009 7:26:02 PM
syampillai;1988998 Wrote:

> ...you can find place for openSUSE too.

That's the plan!:)

--
GARoss
GARoss's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=28124
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=414727

0
GARoss

To install or not to install?

Install RAID drivers during install
Hi there, I have a new Dell R610 server with a H200 RAID controller onto which I am trying to install OpenSuse 11.1. That said, it does not appear to support the RAID controller. I see that Dell have the Linux drivers for the controller on their website (officially supporting ES10 / 11 and RHLE5). Is there an easy way to to install these drivers during the early part of the setup process? I'm a bit stuck as to where I load them in. Any help would be much appreciated. Regards, Rob -- robertdehaas ----------------------------------------------------------------...

VSI installation problem
This error message occurs for me when attempting to install any VSI package (including TimeTracker etc). The templates do not appear in the My Templates section of Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2.. Help or suggestions appreciated! Me too,can't get the damn f**g thing to install, tried many times but still same error with all .VSI Packs  personal, club &  time tracker  ....... HELP  HELP HELP HELP only thing i can think of is that i didn't uninstall .NET Framework as recomended in "Uninstalling Express Editions" note for...

Help
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The server object and "servername-PS" objects have been created, but the = server seems to have stuck! Any ideas? I had to type IP address of server with replica, which seemed to work = (installing over VPN link, but I've done this before with no trouble and = there is no problem I'm aware of with the link - everything else works) Cheers, Peter. --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____WHPEPQY...

Occassional appearance of Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install
Since upgrading to 3.1.1 I am getting the occasional redirection to Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install.  Is anyone else recieving this or does this suggest the installation script didn't complete?Jonathan Palmer Check your web.config and see if install=true.... In a previous version this was happening to me until i turned it off. ...

Is there a Gzip installer that I could install ?
Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop interface .. is direct package installed that I could use opening it on files using the right click method from windows ? "open with" / "chosen freeware" = click ! -- Cypher7 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cypher7 wrote: > > Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop > interface The linux desktop interface can be a lot of things, KDE,GNOME, windowmaker to name but a few. > .. is direct packa...

no install after installing jvm141
i have waited for a few days now to see if anyone would reply to my last response and got nothing so far so i figured i would repost everything in hopes that someone woudl be able to help me, please read below. ============================ In article , wrote: > i cant find the install opption on the GUI to install imanager. i just > updated to the newest jvm and the gui looks totally differnet, and the > start options all changed. any ideas? > What exact NetWare version are you using (including SP)? In theory, you should use the "install" option in ...

D2010 installation and D2009 already installed
Hi, I installed D2010 on a machine that has D2009 installed. Somehow, installing D2010 screwed up my D2009 installation in that when I run a Unit Test that uses dbxMysqll.dll, I get an error message (that I never got before): Project c_test.exe raised exception class TDBXError with message 'Cannot load LIBMYSQL.dll library(error code 0). The LIBMYSQL.dll library may be missing from the system path or you may have an incompatible version of the library installed. Is this supposed to happen? I thought installing D2010 in a different folder won't fid...

Install OES2 with eDir already installed
OK, so i have SLES10-SP1 installed and also eDir 8.7, i believe. eDir 8.7 has not been working, ever (i have been waiting on this OES2). Now i want to install OES2 eDir. I installed eDir 8.7 from source; how do i uninstall eDir 8.7? Chris wrote: > OK, so i have SLES10-SP1 installed and also eDir 8.7, i believe. eDir 8.7 > has not been working, ever (i have been waiting on this OES2). Now i want > to install OES2 eDir. I installed eDir 8.7 from source; how do i uninstall > eDir 8.7? 'ndsconfig rm -a admin.acme' to remove the server from the tree. Then it&...

Installation: Already installed modules are required
Hi everyone, I'm having some problems installing Bugzilla 4.0. My system is Ubuntu 10.04 When I run the command $ sudo ./checksetup.pl --check-modules the output always tells me that "Email::MIME" and "Email::Send" must be installed. When I try to install them via $ sudo perl install-module.pl -all or $ sudo perl install-module.pl Email::MIME it tells me the modules are "up to date" (because they ARE installed) On http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/4.0/en/html/installation.html#install-perlmodules it suggests that there could be something wr...

Install OES2 with ifolder already installed
OK, so i have SLES10-SP1 installed and also ifolder 3.6-svn. I have been using Jan-Simon's svn from opensuse without any problems. Now i want to install OES2 ifolder. What is the best way to uninstall existing ifolder and install the ifolder from OES2? The OES 2 ifolder install is going to make you put eDirectory on the box which means you'll have to put the server into a tree or create a new tree. I'm not sure if there is any way around it. You could try going directly to the install media for OES 2 and using the --force command with rpm from the command line, ...

installer-help.lang (stub installer failing -> fallback download page on mozilla.org)
Hi guys, I put a new lang file on mozilla.org, this is an help page that shows up of for some reason the stub installer for Firefox is not working and this page proposes a direct install: Generic: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/installer-help/ With a parameter added by the installer: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/installer-help/?channel=release It's 5 strings only to get this feature activated for your locale. Check your webdashboard status: http://l10n.mozilla-community.org/webdashboard/ Cheers Pascal ...

Are you kidding me? You still can't install GW7 correctly on machines wiht Outlook XP/2003 already installed?
I've noticed (and been able to verify myself) that two major issues with GW 7 installations on machines where Outlook (either XP or 2003) is already installed cause problems are still listed as known issues in SP1. These existed in the original GW7 and all subsequent FTFs of the client as well. http://www.novell.com/documentation/gw7/readmeusgw7sp1/readmeusgw7sp1.html#bwe7r4t and http://www.novell.com/documentation/gw7/readmeusgw7sp1/readmeusgw7sp1.html#bxchsh0 Does anybody know if there's a planned refresh for the client that will actually fix these two? These ...

Web resources about - How to install with RAID already installed for XP? - opensuse.org.help.install

Pre-installed software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bundled software is another name for pre-installed software, as pre-installed are all bundled with a hardware device of some kind. However, bundled ...

REPORT: Facebook Home Can Be Installed On All Android Devices Running 4.0 And Up
The good news: Facebook Home can now be run on all Android devices running version 4.0 of the mobile operating system or higher, even if they ...

CPU fan installed - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Garrette's photos on Flickr. Garrette has uploaded 3652 photos to Flickr.

Gay-friendly traffic lights installed in Vienna - YouTube
Keep up-to-date with the latest news, subscribe here: http://bit.ly/AFP-subscribe Several pedestrian crossings in Vienna are showing symbols ...

Brisbane's new public art installed
From a distance, it looks like Commissioner Gordon's Bat-signal.

Cameras installed on hull of ISS (00:59)

Where in the US is solar installed?

'Spyware' installed on rental laptops