external usb disk shows disk, disk-1, disk-2, disk-3, disk-4

Hello all,

I am new to linux.
I am running openSUSE 11.1 (i586) and I have a maxtor external usb
drive attached.
I used the backup utility in suse to create a backup job that would
copy files to my external hard drive.

The problem is that when I disconnect the usb drive or reboot the
machine sometimes the drive shows up as a different name. e.g. It first
showed up as disk, then disk-1, then disk-2, then disk-3, and now
disk-4.

This is a problem because the backup utility doesn't know that the
drive name changed. I had to update the back-up software to say to write
to drive-4 because it was set to write to drive-3. So nothing was backed
when I checked the external drive.

Any ideas how I can resolve this problem? I'd like to somewhere hard
code the drive so regardless if I disconnect it or reboot, it always
shows the same name.

TIA

slash

--
slash5bmw

slash5bmw
2/25/2010 4:16:03 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Are you properly unmounting it?

Are you plugging other USB drive into this machine? What order?

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208

0
gogalthorp
2/25/2010 4:36:02 PM
Give the disk a volume label

eg: if it's a ntfs partition

ntfslabel /dev/sdb? storage

?= partition number
and change dev to whatever it is sda - sdb - sdc......

--
Box: openSUSE 11.2 | (KDE4.3.5) | M2N4-SLI | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia
8500GT | 4GB RAM
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433926

0
caf4926
2/25/2010 4:46:02 PM
I am not plugging other devices into the machine.

I am not unmounting the drive. I just pull out the cable.
That is probably the problem.

Is there a way to have it stay disk-1 even if it is not properly
unmounted?
So if I or someone else pulls the cable out of the machine, it will not
change when it's plugged back in?

TIA

slash

--
slash5bmw
slash5bmw's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=27827
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433926

0
slash5bmw
2/25/2010 4:46:03 PM
slash5bmw;2126865 Wrote:
> I am not plugging other devices into the machine.
>
> I am not unmounting the drive. I just pull out the cable.
> That is probably the problem.
>
> Is there a way to have it stay disk-1 even if it is not properly
> unmounted?
> So if I or someone else pulls the cable out of the machine, it will not
> change when it's plugged back in?
>
> TIA
>
> slash

LOL? you do realize that just pulling the cable without safely
unmounting will leave the file system flagged as unsafe unmounted and
it'll need to check it next time you mount again. Not to mention that if
after copying something and the file system didn't flush it but kept it
in buffer as you pulled the cable just after copying finishes, it can
corrupt stuff?

--
My site: http://microchip.bplaced.net
My repo: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/microchip8

Do coders dream of sheep() ?
microchip8's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=163
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433926

0
microchip8
2/25/2010 5:16:02 PM
slash5bmw;2126865 Wrote:

> I am not unmounting the drive. I just pull out the cable.
> That is probably the problem.

Stop doing that. :O

You can damage you data and cause all sorts of problems.

ALWAYS UNMOUNT BEFORE REMOVING!!!!!!

That goes for Windows OS also always press safely remove before
unattaching

--
gogalthorp
gogalthorp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37208
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433926

0
gogalthorp
2/25/2010 5:36:02 PM
slash5bmw;2126865 Wrote:

> I am not unmounting the drive. I just pull out the cable.
> That is probably the problem.

That is not only why you have it mounted the next time as disk-1, etc.
(because the administartion on your system still has a disk, any new
disk (even if you think it is the same) will be mounted on a different
place for obvious reasons. But it is also dangerous for your data,
especialy as you write to it, because you could not only brake an
ongoing write, but there is also something as caching and thus several
writes may not even have been done.

And when you follow caf4926's advive and give it a name, it will be
mounted at that name, but you have still to remove it properly.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433926

0
hcvv
2/25/2010 5:46:01 PM
I guess I do now.
Do you think I should reformat the drive?

I guess I can then put an entry in the fstab with the ntfslabel.

Thx.

slash

--
slash5bmw
slash5bmw's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=27827
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433926

0
slash5bmw
2/25/2010 5:46:01 PM
thx

slash

--
slash5bmw
slash5bmw's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=27827
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=433926

0
slash5bmw

After installing 11.4 on external hard disk, no booting from primary disk
Hello, I have a laptop, with Suse 11.4 installed and Windows 7, on hda. Now I got an external hard drive (hdc), and I installed also Suse 11.4 there (hdc1 - hdc3); there was an initial question about it: 'How can I install a new *independent* Suse 11.4 on a second hard disk? (swap problem) - Page 2' (http://tinyurl.com/3aw2fcb) but that is likely no longer relevant. The installation process installed the boot-loader on hda. So well, seemed necessary to me (though I would have preferred not to mess at all with hda; see below for further comments). Summarising the boot...

Installing SUSE 11.4 64 bit on External Hard Disk to Replace 11.2 64 bit on Internal Hard Disk
I have a Dell Dimension C521 (AMD AthlonX2) with a 160 GB internal HDD and 3 GB RAM. The system has dual iboot for Windows Vista Home Premium and SUSE 11.2 64 bit. Recently I added an external Hard Disk (Seagate GoFlex ITB capacity). I wish to uninstall the 11.2 and install 11.4 on the external drive. There are additional instructions for installing 11.4 on an external disk. a) Will it be possible to uninstall the 11.2 as 11.4 is being installed, leaving the space on the internal disk free for re-allocation to Windows, b) Or should I first uninstall 11.2 repair the Windows ...

is it possible to move my sql 2000 database (in C disk) to another disk (Disk) ?
hello,all           I am new to Sql 2000,I installed sql 2000 database in C disk,but Now I found my C disk space is smaller than before,So I want to move my databse(include data and structure)   from C Disk to D Disk(its space is very large) .          is it possible to do it ?           if its can be done ,do I need to change my asp.net program source code (exp: chaneg my crystal  report connectstring ) ?     ...

Disk-to-disk backup with GWTSA
Hello, Does anyone know of a way to use the GWTSA functionality to directly copy the live GroupWise databases from one server to another? (Or from one volume to another on the same server? The idea is to get cheap insurance by simply scheduling a job over the weekend to copy the files, and just set the backup copy up as a restore area in the event it is needed. I know about GWBACK32 and DBCOPY, but some people have reported compatibility problems with GroupWise 6.5, and it also adds the unnecessary step of having to run the utilities on a Windows box. We could also use o...

disk defragment and disk cleanup
are these functions (disk defragment and disk cleanup) available in Linux or specially in *openSUSE*? are they necessary or useful for a Linux system? -- _IlAlI_ http://mgtman.blogfa.com *My System:* Hp pavilion dv2690ee notebook, Intel core2due 2.4 GH CPU, Cache: 3MB, 250 GB HDD, 2 GB Ram, nvidia Gforce 8400 Gs Graphic ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Nope. Don't worry, be happy. -- ken_yap ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/membe...

disk
I have a book that is missing the "diskette" that came with it. I have tried my friend, google, but no luck. The book is "PC Intern", 1992. Anyone lost their book but still have the diskette? I would like a copy of the disk, but sorry, I can not reciprocate by copying the book :). 77 61 76 65 73 wrote: > I have a book that is missing the "diskette" that came > with it. I have tried my friend, google, but no luck. > The book is "PC Intern", 1992. Anyone lost their book > but still have the diskette? I would like a ...

I Give Up: Disk 0 Recognized, Disk 1 is Not
Computer Management>Disk Management does not "see" Disk 1 (w/partitions labeled "E" and "F"), used for pagefile and backup/storage, respectively. Nor does it see my G: drive (CD/ROM player). Weird thing is, everything else (BIOS, Windows, Disk Defrag, Disk Checker, etc.) does. Is this an FDISK /MBR issue, and if so, how does one go about doing that for a WinXP, SP2 machine? I would just as soon not have to rely upon a pay-for program, but all solutions are welcome, natch. -- Captain Ozone "Captain Ozone" <CaptainOzone9@aim.i...

How do I remove a disk used for disk init ?
I want to recreate some databases on new disks and free up the old space used by those databases. How do I "undo" the disk init and free up those vdevno's? Is it enough to simply sp_dropdevice logical_name ? Thanks, : jay U have to do sp_dropdevice as well as in some case u have to remove that file from OS-if its a unix file device. then u can run sync at unix prompt and try to use same device no,if it doesnt work in worst case u have to recycle your server to free up that device no(vdevno) Jay Schmidgall <Jay.Schmidgall.No.Spam@SunGardSS.No.Spam.com>...

Disk usage, disk space info
Is there a class that can get the amount of disk usage in .net? Thanks, Here's an article that might help:http://msdn.microsoft.com/coding4fun/coolapplications/sysmonitor/default.aspxDarrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! I just need a class that can go and take the Hard Disk space available. I have 2 servers, and i'd like to know the HD space of the 2 and then decide on which on to upload the file. Thanks, Ok.  From the docs (there's also a ton more info here):Imports SystemImports System.Management' T...

Disk Init Illegal Disk Address
I'm trying to create a new device using sybase central and can't due to the following error: Illegal Disk Address Range. The sum of VSTART and SIZE must be less than 16777216. I've not added then subsequently removed any devices nor am I changing any of the numbers in the init (like device starting location, etc). The logical device number is 5 and I'm trying to create a device for 100GB. The name of the device is only 8 alpha characters. I've restarted the server and the ASE server to no avail. Does anyone know how to resolve this or what I need to loo...

PLS Help. Error with Space on the disk , but the disk space is right.
Hi all, I'm running a GCN in my ISP server and everything went right until I choose to change the Stored Procedures (NText instead of Text) following the recommendations of the thread http://asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=280868. After I did the changes I'm getting disk space errors when I try to use some of the Admin.Sections. I don't believe that it is related, but I don't know what to think. Someone know what is happening? and the solution?. Here is the error & track I got when I try to use the Edit Users Section: Server Error in '/International' Appli...

Can not find disk 2 after moving disks to new computer
Hi. My motherboard died on my NW6.5SP3 server. I moved the disks to a new computer and only disk 1 is found by netware. (IDEATA, both computers are IDE) Disk 1 is volume SYS and VOL1 (pool data1) and is working just fine. Disk 2 is volume VOL2 and Pool DATA2. I got an error message trying to scan for this disk: prompt: scan for new devices 15/05/2006 21.27.23 : NWPA-3.20-0 NWPA-004: The CDM driver deactivated device [V025-A0-D0:1] WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0 f/w:08.02D08 due to a device failure. 15/05/2006 21.27.23 : SERVER-5.70-1534 [nmID=B0013] Device &qu...

Backup exec 9.1, Netware 6 SAN, disk to disk
Here is an irritating one that we are having problems resolving. I will try and give as much info as possible. We have a 3 node SAN. Each front end is Compaq DL380 G3 with dual xeon processors, 2 gig ram, gig network cards. San is provided by Compaq but based on DEC technology with HSG80 controllers and 0.5 micron fibre with dual failover and NSS mirroring of the SAN for failover. We have a seperate DL380 G2 with 1 gig Ram, gig card and Windows 2000 running Backup Exec 9.1 and attached is a 7 TB disk storage system for disk to disk backup. The Backup server backs up the...

No disk seen when booting the disk in another system
My dual proc, dual core Opteron MSI Master2FAR motherboard failed, and I try to boot a disk, used on this board as boot disk, on an Intel based Gigabyte GA-965-DS3. Both systems are x86_64 architecture. The OS is on both systems is openSUSE 11.1. On booting the disk on the Gigabyte, the disk is seen correctly by the BIOS, but not by the OS, and there is no /dev/sdX; no /dev/disk/... either. I am taken to a login shell from the ramdisk. When I just -mount- this disk on the Gigabyte (booted with the Gigabyte's original boot disk) everything seems fine. No suprise to me, sinc...