DVD install hangs at driver install . .

Hello,

I am new to Suse being a Kubuntu user mainly then Ubuntu with ldxe.
I've got rather fed up with 'bloat' and continual issues with Kubuntu so
I am going to try Suse 12.1 with ldxe. However unlike Kubuntu I am
having trouble with the drivers at more or less the start of the install
i.e. before any language/keyboard stuff etc. The install hangs at the
driver stage and so I am at a loss as to what I do now.

I know there are issues with Nvidia on Suse and I have what I believe
are the bits and pieces I need to get the correct driver in place once
the installation has completed.

Any ideas please?

System: Amd (Athlon) 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2

leadwts

leadwts
12/2/2011 5:26:03 PM
opensuse.org.help.install 14389 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What "drivers" ????

almost everything should be supported "out of the box"

and WHAT issues with nvidia?
the .run runs just fine
the oneclick should
and the open nouveu driver works fine for most light users

so what problem are you referring to?

as to bloat
opensuse is by far more bloated that ubuntu

--
nvidia GeForce GTS 240 , NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.12.run
--- My Celestia add on's ---

0
JohnVV
12/2/2011 11:16:02 PM
Hi - thanks for the reply.

I boot from the DVD and click 'Installation'. Up comes about 20 lines
of text ending as follows:

>>> opensuse installation programme v.3.5.15 (c) 19996-2011 Suse Linux
Products GmbH
Starting udev . . . ok
Load basic drivers . . .

At this point the system shows no activity and I gave it 10 minutes on
the last boot.

That is the issue.

I had read somewhere that Suse was not as bloated as Ubuntu (Kubuntu)
and I intend to run it with ldxe so . . . .(?)

Thanks.

--
leadwts
leadwts's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=63972
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469092

0
leadwts

To install or not to install?

Help
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The server object and "servername-PS" objects have been created, but the = server seems to have stuck! Any ideas? I had to type IP address of server with replica, which seemed to work = (installing over VPN link, but I've done this before with no trouble and = there is no problem I'm aware of with the link - everything else works) Cheers, Peter. --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____WHPEPQY...

Help Please, how do I reinstall gnome/ati drivers from install dvd on an installed 11.2 sys?
Deleted my ati drivers accidently during a botched upgrade. Have been trying to fix the problem from things I read on here, made a thread but can't get online to execute it.Found my install dvd tried running repair and in the process deleted my windows partition(anyway to get that back?) and still no previous ati drivers or gnome installed. So my question is how do I install ati drivers from the dvd and how do I install gnome or kde from install dvd? -- Marslightyear ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Marslightyear;2166924 Wro...

Install hangs
Help!!! On a 6.5 install after hardware crash of raid controller. Hardware ok. It gets to installing eDirectory - putting server into existing tree - and says the server already exists. I answer replace - logon to the DS as admin - I see 'Established communication...' on console screen, but the install acreen pops a box saying 'Please Wait' with 'Installing eDirectory...' and has stayed that way for at least 16 hours. Attempted twice more - shorter duration waits - to no avail. ray Clean your tree before reinstalling the server. E.g. remove the server...

Nvidia driver: to install or not to install
Why some one needs to (or should) install Nvidia driver instead of free Graphic driver? What are the reasons? What are advantages of Nvidia driver compare to free graphic driver? -- _MrAli_ http://mgtman.blogfa.com *My System:* Hp pavilion dv2690ee notebook, Intel core2due 2.4 GH CPU, 3MB Cache, 250 GB HDD, 2 GB Ram, nvidia Gforce 8400 Gs Graphic ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Overall way better graphics and performance -- Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.7...

Install RAID drivers during install
Hi there, I have a new Dell R610 server with a H200 RAID controller onto which I am trying to install OpenSuse 11.1. That said, it does not appear to support the RAID controller. I see that Dell have the Linux drivers for the controller on their website (officially supporting ES10 / 11 and RHLE5). Is there an easy way to to install these drivers during the early part of the setup process? I'm a bit stuck as to where I load them in. Any help would be much appreciated. Regards, Rob -- robertdehaas ----------------------------------------------------------------...

Inspiron 1000 install problem (11.1, 11.2, net install, dvd install)
Ok, I have a plain jane Inspiron 1000, 2ghz celeron, 256m ram, 40gig hd, dvd. I burned 11.2 to dvd, 11.1 to dvd, tried installing both. Both get the dreaded "cannot create repository" (i'm paraphrasing). No problem, I download and burn 11.1, 11.2 net install's, checksums check out ok. I go through the first part where it downloads stuff from download.opensuse.com (or something similiar), then it fails again, not able to install. I get no message on the net installs. Just fails real quick with a red box. I tried a text install, fails. What gives? --...

Occassional appearance of Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install
Since upgrading to 3.1.1 I am getting the occasional redirection to Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install.  Is anyone else recieving this or does this suggest the installation script didn't complete?Jonathan Palmer Check your web.config and see if install=true.... In a previous version this was happening to me until i turned it off. ...

no install after installing jvm141
i have waited for a few days now to see if anyone would reply to my last response and got nothing so far so i figured i would repost everything in hopes that someone woudl be able to help me, please read below. ============================ In article , wrote: > i cant find the install opption on the GUI to install imanager. i just > updated to the newest jvm and the gui looks totally differnet, and the > start options all changed. any ideas? > What exact NetWare version are you using (including SP)? In theory, you should use the "install" option in ...

Is there a Gzip installer that I could install ?
Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop interface .. is direct package installed that I could use opening it on files using the right click method from windows ? "open with" / "chosen freeware" = click ! -- Cypher7 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cypher7 wrote: > > Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop > interface The linux desktop interface can be a lot of things, KDE,GNOME, windowmaker to name but a few. > .. is direct packa...

Installing nvidia drivers using their own installer.
I can install the nvidia driver for my card easily with yast but would like to try using nvidia's own installer. There is a paths problem. I've spent some time looking at 11.4 kernel build paths and they seem to be circular so the installer will not find what it needs. The installers help in this respect is as follows. Code: -------------------- --kernel-source-path=KERNEL-SOURCE-PATH The directory containing the kernel source files that should be used when compiling the NVIDIA kernel module. When not specified, the installer will use '/lib/mod...

DVD Install not different from LiveCD install?
I installed openSUSE once from the Live CD and couldn't do it and went back to Ubuntu. Then my friend who uses SUSE came and said that SUSE actually comes on a DVD and is loaded with stuff. I got the DVD (7h+ to download) and then I installed and the only difference is the install and options on installing KDE4, or GNOME, or KDE3. Should I re-install (don't have any data on here yet so it's safe) and choose a lot more software and load it? Otherwise the extra DVD download I could call a waste. -- blenderman345 -------------------------------------------------------...

installer-help.lang (stub installer failing -> fallback download page on mozilla.org)
Hi guys, I put a new lang file on mozilla.org, this is an help page that shows up of for some reason the stub installer for Firefox is not working and this page proposes a direct install: Generic: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/installer-help/ With a parameter added by the installer: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/installer-help/?channel=release It's 5 strings only to get this feature activated for your locale. Check your webdashboard status: http://l10n.mozilla-community.org/webdashboard/ Cheers Pascal ...

Web resources about - DVD install hangs at driver install . . - opensuse.org.help.install

Facebook Asks Users To Install Messenger For Windows
Just days after officially rolling out Messenger for Windows , Facebook has begun prompting people to install the application. Some Facebook ...

New ways to reach the right people with mobile app install ads
Since we launched mobile app install ads six months ago, we have added several new features to improve the product for users and developers. ...

Facebook Director of Product Management Doug Purdy discusses Parse, Mobile App Install Ads
... discussed about mobile app discovery difficulties faced by developers. He discussed how developers can use the platform to drive app installations ...

WA Premier Colin Barnett urges City of Joondalup to install shark net at Sorrento Beach - PerthNow Search ...
PREMIER Colin Barnett has urged the City of Joondalup to “get on with it” and install a shark net at Sorrento Beach.

Android adware can install itself even when users explicitly reject it
(credit: Lookout) Two weeks ago, Ars reported on newly discovered Android adware that is virtually impossible to uninstall . Now, researchers ...

FSS ePub Reader silently installs adware?
... of a range of popular Windows freeware, including FSS Video Downloader, FSS Google Books Downloader, FSS ePub Reader and more. You’ve installed ...

Microsoft confirms Windows 10 tried to secretly install itself on old machines
Yes, not too long ago, Microsoft apologized for automatically installing Windows 10 on older Windows 7 or Windows 8 machines. But although Microsoft ...

Don't want to install that smartphone app? With Google, you may not have to
The search giant is experimenting with tech that lets you use apps without downloading them. It's part of Google's plan to keep its crown when ...