Nvidia driver: to install or not to install

Why some one needs to (or should) install Nvidia driver instead of free
Graphic driver? What are the reasons? What are advantages of Nvidia
driver compare to free graphic driver?

--
_MrAli_
http://mgtman.blogfa.com

ilAli
1/11/2012 5:26:03 AM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Overall way better graphics and performance

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.7.2 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |

0
caf4926
1/11/2012 5:46:02 AM
ilAli;2429010 Wrote:
> Why some one needs to (or should) install Nvidia driver instead of free
> Graphic driver? What are the reasons? What are advantages of Nvidia
> driver compare to free graphic driver?

Further to what caf4926 noted, if for example you like to play HD (high
definition) videos of 1920x1080 resolution at a high 25MB/sec bit rate.
I doubt that your Hp pavilion dv2690ee notebook, Intel core2due 2.4 GH
CPU with a nvidia Gforce 8400 Gs Graphic card will play back the video
from my Canon HF S10 video camera smoothly without some jitter or lag
using the nouveau or nv video drivers.

To test better if you can play back nominal HD videos, if you have LOTS
of bandwidth, go to 'H.264 Demo Clips | H264info.com'
(http://www.h264info.com/clips.html) and select the Avengers 1080p
trailer for download ,.... or direct to here 'The Avengers (2012) -
H.264 HD 1080p Theatrical Trailer | Movies - Digital Digest'
(http://tinyurl.com/7a7ynh3) for the Avengers 1080p theatrical trailer
and after its downloaded, unzip the file and try to play it back.  This
is a relatively easy video to play back, at 1920x1056 @ only 7 Mbps.
Still you may find your PC struggles with this with SMPlayer and the
nouveau driver.

With the *proprietary* nVidia driver and mplayer using the VDPAU
setting, this should play back smoothly :

Code:
--------------------

  mplayer -vo vdpau ffh264vdpau The\ Avengers\ -\ Trailer.mp4

--------------------

and that is NOT a challenging video.  Note that 'vdpau' argument is
ONLY if you have the proprietary nVidia driver installed.

or even with nVidia driver and VLC (using xv setting) this should play
back smoothly.

or if that was too easy to play back try this example trailer
'Limitless - H.264 HD 1080p Theatrical Trailer | Movies - Digital
Digest' (http://tinyurl.com/7t2h4re) which is 1920x1080 @ 8MB/sec.  That
is also an EASY to play back HD video.

Now the bit rate and the resolution on these video examples are FAR FAR
less challenging than what I get from my old Canon HF S10 video camera's
recorded videos (which are 1920x1080 at 24MB/sec bit rate).  Here is are
a couple of examples of 1920x1080 @ 24MB/sec which is straight from this
old Canon:

- 'example1-00007.mts'
  (http://media.videomaker.com/content/video/article/14043/00007.MTS)
- 'example2-00010.mts'
  (http://media.videomaker.com/content/video/article/14043/00010.MTS)

which come from an old article on this website 'Canon VIXIA HF S10
First Look! | Video News' (http://tinyurl.com/7w2z3br) and that is NOT
me - I have nothing to do with the site.  Try playing those back on your
HP ?

If they playback fine with the nouveau driver, then may you could
consider staying with it.

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471027

0
oldcpu
1/11/2012 6:46:03 AM
On 01/11/2012 06:26 AM, ilAli wrote:
> Nvidia driver instead of free Graphic driver?

both drivers are free (as in beer, that is, you don't have to pay money
for either of them)

however only one driver is free--as in open source (and you are FREE
change the driver any way you wish)

there is a reason this distro is called openSUSE and not freeSUSE..

--
DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat http://tinyurl.com/DD-Hardware
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Software
DenverD;2429106 Wrote:

> both drivers are free (as in beer, that is, you don't have to pay money
> for either of them)

OK, i know the difference between free and open source, that was a
mistake.

--
ilAli's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=57655
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471027

0
ilAli
1/11/2012 2:16:02 PM
caf4926;2429013 Wrote:
> Overall way better graphics and performance

if so, why i feel my laptop now after installing Nvidia driver is
slower than before installing that?

--

ilAli;2429144 Wrote:
> if so, why i feel my laptop now after installing Nvidia driver is slower
> than before installing that?

Goodness knows
You should start a thread on that if you didn't already

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.7.2 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |
3GB RAM
Lap#2: 12.1  | KDE 4.7.2 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
*+EeePC | 11.4 | Gnome*
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471027

0
caf4926
1/11/2012 3:06:03 PM
ilAli;2429144 Wrote:
> if so, why i feel my laptop now after installing Nvidia driver is slower
> than before installing that?

Well remove it then.

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471027

0
oldcpu
1/11/2012 5:46:03 PM
oldcpu;2429236 Wrote:
> Well remove it then.
how can i remove it?

--
_MrAli_
http://mgtman.blogfa.com
*My System:* Hp pavilion dv2690ee notebook, Intel core2due 2.4 GH CPU,
3MB Cache, 250 GB HDD, 2 GB Ram, nvidia Gforce 8400 Gs Graphic
ilAli's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=57655
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471027

0
ilAli
1/11/2012 9:06:02 PM
I am actually using a dual monitor set up and the nvidia driver behaves
way smoother and better than the default open source one (I tried it
with the new 12.1 installation)

--
darlac
darlac's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=62439
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471027

0
darlac
1/11/2012 9:26:04 PM
On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 21:06:02 +0000, ilAli wrote:

> oldcpu;2429236 Wrote:
>> Well remove it then.
> how can i remove it?

Follow the instructions I gave you in the "How to go back to the default
free Graphic driver" thread in this very forum.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
ilAli;2429291 Wrote:
> how can i remove it?

Did you do any specific tests or is this a fuzzy 'feel' assessment  as
to performance ?  Did you compare the playback of any of the HD videos
that I pointed you do ?

--
oldcpu
oldcpu's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=77
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471027

0
oldcpu
1/12/2012 5:06:03 AM
darlac;2429304 Wrote:
> I am actually using a dual monitor set up and the nvidia driver behaves
> way smoother and better than the default open source one (I tried it
> with the new 12.1 installation)
but in my case i feel after insrtalling that, scrolling webpages in
firefox and also scrollng pdf dicuments has been slow.

--
_MrAli_
http://mgtman.blogfa.com
*My System:* Hp pavilion dv2690ee notebook, Intel core2due 2.4 GH CPU,
3MB Cache, 250 GB HDD, 2 GB Ram, nvidia Gforce 8400 Gs Graphic
ilAli's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=57655
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471027

0
ilAli
1/12/2012 7:06:02 AM
ilAli;2429418 Wrote:
> but in my case i feel after insrtalling that, scrolling webpages in
> firefox and also scrollng pdf dicuments has been slow.

That could be subjective
Did you start a thread to work on those issues? Was that with or
without effects? Did you tweak anything in nvidia-settings?

--
Box: 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM
Lap #1: 12.1 | Duo T4300 | KDE4.7.2 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 |
3GB RAM
Lap#2: 12.1  | KDE 4.7.2 | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 |
*+EeePC | 11.4 | Gnome*
'My_Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/6cabu2j)
caf4926's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471027

0
caf4926
1/12/2012 7:16:03 AM
caf4926;2429420 Wrote:
> That could be subjective
> Did you start a thread to work on those issues? Was that with or
> without effects? Did you tweak anything in nvidia-settings?
Yes, i started following thread:
'Nvidia driver is slower than open source driver'
(http://tinyurl.com/7fdoo6b)
i did not tweek anything at first but recently for improving the
performance i changed "PowerMizer setting" and set it to "Prefer Maximum
Performance" in nvidia setting.

--
_MrAli_
http://mgtman.blogfa.com
*My System:* Hp pavilion dv2690ee notebook, Intel core2due 2.4 GH CPU,
3MB Cache, 250 GB HDD, 2 GB Ram, nvidia Gforce 8400 Gs Graphic
ilAli's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=57655
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471027

0
ilAli
1/12/2012 9:06:03 AM
I've got a new setup and using an nVdia Corporation NV17GL [Quadro NVS]
dual VGA card.

Can you tell me the procedure for getting things going?

Cheers.

--
chome4
chome4's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=65146
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=471027

0
chome4
1/21/2012 11:46:02 AM
On 01/21/2012 12:46 PM, chome4 wrote:

> Can you tell me the procedure for getting things going?

you are welcome in the openSUSE forum, but it is completely
inappropriate for you to hop into an thread where one user is trying to
sort out his/her nvidia Gforce 8400 Gs Graphic card and ask for help
with a totally different..

please go here: http://tinyurl.com/37v9y7m and see if you can work your
way to a smile....but, if you have questions please begin a new thread,
with a descriptive subject and include important information like, the
version of openSUSE installed, the desktop environment, something about
your hardware, the driver default installed, etc etc etc

--
DD
openSUSE®, the "German Engineered Automobiles" of operating systems!
0
DenverD
1/21/2012 2:38:17 PM
On 01/21/2012 03:38 PM, DenverD wrote:
> please begin a new thread

never mind, i now see you did that about 30 minutes after posting
here...please do NOT post the same problem twice!!

potential helpers should see this thread:
http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=65146

--
DD
0
DenverD

need help to install nvidia driver on GEFORCE 6150se hardware in opensuse11.4
hi all i need help with installing nvidia driver . i'm useing gnome desk top.thank's -- aburroughs92 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 'nVidia Driver via Repo in 11.3 & 11.4 - Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/29vv32s) -- Box: openSUSE 11.4 | Gnome 2.3 | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 4GB RAM Lap #1: openSUSE 11.4 | Duo T4300 | KDE 4.6 | Gnome 2.3 | Intel M4 Graphics | Lenovo G550 | 3GB RAM Lap#2: 11.4 | Gnome | Celeron 550 | Intel 965GM | Lenovo R61 | Tumbleweed 'My Guides' (http://tinyurl.com/...

Installing nvidia drivers using their own installer.
I can install the nvidia driver for my card easily with yast but would like to try using nvidia's own installer. There is a paths problem. I've spent some time looking at 11.4 kernel build paths and they seem to be circular so the installer will not find what it needs. The installers help in this respect is as follows. Code: -------------------- --kernel-source-path=KERNEL-SOURCE-PATH The directory containing the kernel source files that should be used when compiling the NVIDIA kernel module. When not specified, the installer will use '/lib/mod...

NVidia Driver Install Help
Hi all, I have a fear of using the 1 click install method of installing the NVidia (Propriety) Driver for my Opensuse 11.2. My Graphics Card is an nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX. I have attempted to use the 1 Click method to install this driver in the past, although once I have re-booted, the GUI or X-System would not load. 'NVIDIA - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/New_NVIDIA_cards) I have clicked the NVIDIA drivers in the above link and noticed that my card the 7900 GTX was not exactly written there in the list of supported hardware. I did try to install the NVIDIA dr...

Installing new NVIDIA drivers after installing the hard way
Hi, I installed the nvidia driver the hard way in 11.3 (works fine so far). However, when the driver becomes available in some near future :-) to install via the repositories, what can I do to switch to the repository driver? Do I have to uninstall the compiled one? If so, could somebody be kind enough to explain the procedure? Many thanks -G- Yes, you should uninstall the proprietary NVIDIA driver first. You should just be able to run: Code: -------------------- sh NVIDIA*.run --uninstall -------------------- -- DoctrSuSE --------------------------...

[HELP]problem when installing driver nvidia
[image: http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff334/makinan/Screenshot-rickylinux-qxsg.png] i dunno where that weird language come from.. does anybody know how to change it to english.. i got this when installing gcc to install nvidia driver.. -- makinan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ If you're Nvidia card is supported by opensuse just add to you're repositories you used http//download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.0 or whatever version you use from opensuse , and yast will do the rest dobby9 -- dobby9 -------------------...

Install NVIDIA Propriety Driver Help
Hi all, * My Graphics card is a NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GTX. * I am running OpenSUSE 11.2. I have attempted to install the Propriety NVIDIA Drivers (without success). I have added the repository to YAST, then proceeded to install the NVIDIA software. I then proceeded to reboot my computer into "init 3" mode. I ran the nvidia-xconfig tool as described in the 'openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users' (http://tinyurl.com/2vsv4rh) site I then proceeded to type "startx" and it failed to load. Can someone please assist me in installing ...

To install or not to install?

Need to install Nvidia driver, please help
I just installed OpenSUSE and I need to install the driver for my video card. I have a XFX Geforce 8800GT. I tried the instructions at the Nvidia website and updating the software repositories and then going to "Software Management" but there was none of the drivers there were automatically checked off, and when I tried picking either of the two x11-video-nvidia files, it said there was a conflict or something and I couldn't install them. So what do I do? I need to know exactly how to install them because my monitor refresh rate is too low. And also, I couldn't...

I need to install nVidia drivers, I need help with that...
Heya, I'm currently using the opensource drivers for my nVidia Geforce 9600M GT card. However I don't have openGL support it turns out. So I reckon I need to install the official nVidia drivers for OpenSUSE. So I go here: 'NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE' (http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA_drivers) And choose the 1-click install. However yast tells me I'm running a legacy nVidia card and suggests me to abort. I'm a n00b when it comes to drivers and OpenSUSE. In fact I'm not sure I need the official drivers. But I'm trying to run the game 'Zero ...

help installing nvidia gtx 285 drivers
Hey guys, just made the switch after using ubuntu a bit. I downloaded the latest 64bit nvidia gtx285 linux drivers for my i7 rig off the nvidia site. I am absolutely clueless as how to install the drivers even after using google. Can anyone tell me how to do this using terminal or whatever? I literally just installed Suse! -- rock3ralex ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Alright so here is how to install the nvidia driver manually, in case the one in the repo doesn't work or u just want to use the latest. Go to Yast>Soft...

Install RAID drivers during install
Hi there, I have a new Dell R610 server with a H200 RAID controller onto which I am trying to install OpenSuse 11.1. That said, it does not appear to support the RAID controller. I see that Dell have the Linux drivers for the controller on their website (officially supporting ES10 / 11 and RHLE5). Is there an easy way to to install these drivers during the early part of the setup process? I'm a bit stuck as to where I load them in. Any help would be much appreciated. Regards, Rob -- robertdehaas ----------------------------------------------------------------...

help request: installing nvidia drivers on kernel-rt
Dear All can anybody please let me know the sequence of commands to install the nvidia drivers while using the RT kernel in opensuse 11.0 ? Since the drivers are available only for the default and PAE kernels I tried the "sh driver -q procedure", but the driver gives me an error relative to the kernel not being configured properly. A similar procedure works for me instead with the other kernels or after recompiling a new kernel from the sources. Thank you very much for any help Algarues -- algarues ---------------------------------------------------------------...

installer-help.lang (stub installer failing -> fallback download page on mozilla.org)
Hi guys, I put a new lang file on mozilla.org, this is an help page that shows up of for some reason the stub installer for Firefox is not working and this page proposes a direct install: Generic: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/installer-help/ With a parameter added by the installer: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/installer-help/?channel=release It's 5 strings only to get this feature activated for your locale. Check your webdashboard status: http://l10n.mozilla-community.org/webdashboard/ Cheers Pascal ...

Help Please, how do I reinstall gnome/ati drivers from install dvd on an installed 11.2 sys?
Deleted my ati drivers accidently during a botched upgrade. Have been trying to fix the problem from things I read on here, made a thread but can't get online to execute it.Found my install dvd tried running repair and in the process deleted my windows partition(anyway to get that back?) and still no previous ati drivers or gnome installed. So my question is how do I install ati drivers from the dvd and how do I install gnome or kde from install dvd? -- Marslightyear ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Marslightyear;2166924 Wro...

Web resources about - Nvidia driver: to install or not to install - opensuse.org.help.hardware