Installing nvidia drivers using their own installer.

I can install the nvidia driver for my card easily with yast but would
like to try using nvidia's own installer. There is a paths problem. I've
spent some time looking at 11.4 kernel build paths and they seem to be
circular so the installer will not find what it needs. The installers
help in this respect is as follows.

Code:
--------------------

  --kernel-source-path=KERNEL-SOURCE-PATH
  The directory containing the kernel source files that
  should be used when compiling the NVIDIA kernel module.
  When not specified, the installer will use
  '/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build', if that directory exists.
  Otherwise, it will use '/usr/src/linux'.

--------------------

Obviously it will fail on the build directory and fall back to
usr/............ where linux is a symbolic link
linux -> linux-2.6.37.1-1.2

which must be the one in the same directory but it fails to find either
type of auto conf file

From this I assumed that it just needed pointing at the correct build
directory but this turns out to be symbolic link

Build -> /usr/src/linux-2.6.37.1-1.2-obj/x86_64/desktop

However when pointed here it still doesn't find what it needs and falls
over looking for the kernel header this time.

I thought that the idea of the /usr/src/linux link was to standardise
kernel building but if suse use it for something else or nvidia make the
wrong assumptions just where should the installer be pointed?

--
John

Suse 11.4 64bit KDE 4.6.0 Issue 6
3.6gig 6700, 64bit 15kU300 Raid 5 home
10K SATA System, SATA swap

ajohnw
5/1/2011 1:06:01 PM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What I believe may be missing in your install attempt is the kernel
source file
Don't know what suse calls it - others call it linux-headers or
linux-kernal-dev or somthing like that.

--
kc1di-qrp
kc1di-qrp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=25476

0
kc1di
5/1/2011 1:06:01 PM
Make sure you have
gcc
make
kernel-source / kernel-devel
installed.
And have also a look at this:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way

--
PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.2 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
martin_helm;2333309 Wrote:

> And have also a look at this:
> 'SDB:NVIDIA the *hard way* - openSUSE'
> (http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way)

Which is not that hard actually. lol! (I could not resist).

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=459067

0
please
5/1/2011 2:06:02 PM
I normally do the following before I install the nVIDIA driver or
compile a kernel:

Normally you should consider doing the following:

Open YaST / Software / Software Management - Select the View Button on
the top left and pick Patterns. Now, you will see several Patterns
listed and you want to select:

Code:
--------------------
        Development

  [X] Base Development
  [X] Linux Kernel Development
  [X] C/C++ Development
--------------------
Then Press the Accept button on the bottom right and allow these
applications to install. This should allow you to install the nVIDIA
driver among other things.

I have a bash script file that can help if you decide to install the
driver the hard way.  Look at message #12:

'LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3'
(http://tinyurl.com/38sm9w9)

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas - Roses are Red, Violets are Blue,
I love openSUSE and so should You!
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=459067

0
jdmcdaniel3
5/1/2011 2:36:03 PM
please try again wrote:
> Which is not that hard actually. lol! (I could not resist).

I resisted this time to add that, thank you for doing it :-)

--
PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.2 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
ION | 3GB Ram
0
martin_helm
5/1/2011 3:16:22 PM

                     Yes I do have all of those installed.

> I've looked at the "hard way" too but that one doesn't look as bad as
> some of the others.
>
> I'd much prefer to find out what the nvidia installer should be pointed
> at rather than /user/src/linux link. Especially as I thought this was
> supposed to give all that could be needed for this sort of thing. It
> lacks autoconf.h / auto.conf Maybe even more. Nvidia do not state what
> directory tree it parses below the link if any either.
>
> I had intended to follow this route after my last re install to get
> back  to 64bit but the kernel upgrade gave me fbdev as a driver rather
> than  nouveau.  This gave me a max res of 800x600 on the desktop which
> is more  or less unusable so I used yast to install the nvidia driver
> again but  there will no doubt be other opportunities to try and get the
> nvidia  installer to run from scratch. - Another hard but easier way. I
> strongly  suspect it will work as well if it can find the files it
> needs.
> John just let me say I install the latest nVIDIA driver all of the time
and it works like a champ.  I do the following:

1. I Install the Driver the hard way and Do not use the repository
method.
2. I installed the required files to properly compile the nVIDIA driver
as suggested above.
3. I add the nomodeset kernel load option as shown in the loading
driver the hard way examples shown.
4. I install the driver on a reboot, using the kernel option 3, to stop
X from loading.
5. I use the bash script file lnvhw as shown above.

As opposed to wondering why it does not work and so forth or trying to
swim upstream in some manner, just execute the required steps as
outlined above and it will work for you.

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas - Roses are Red, Violets are Blue,
I love openSUSE and so should You!
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=459067

0
jdmcdaniel3
5/1/2011 3:36:01 PM

ajohnw's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=57263
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=459067

0
ajohnw
5/1/2011 3:36:01 PM
Thanks James but that isn't the way I want to do it. I've installed the
driver 3 times on 11.4 with yast so why change. Basically because I
would like to find out just how to do it directly from the nvidia
installer from the safe mode prompt. Having looked at the options it
provides I'm fairly confident that it can be done that way with the
minimal amount of bother. I can probably unravel the kerenel links all
by myself over time but just hoped that some one here already knew.

--
John

Suse 11.4 64bit KDE 4.6.0 Issue 6
3.6gig 6700, 64bit 15kU300 Raid 5 home
10K SATA System, SATA swap
ajohnw's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=57263
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=459067

0
ajohnw
5/1/2011 4:36:02 PM

                     Thanks James but that isn't the way I want
> to do it. I've installed  the driver 3 times on 11.4 with yast so why
> change. Basically because I  would like to find out just how to do it
> directly from the nvidia  installer from the safe mode prompt. Having
> looked at the options it  provides I'm fairly confident that it can be
> done that way with the  minimal amount of bother. I can probably unravel
> the kerenel links all  by myself over time but just hoped that some one
> here already knew.
> John
> Each to his own then.  If you wish to understand how the nVIDIA combo
script/binary file installs, perhaps something of value will come from
it.  I seek only to use the driver and gain the benefits that it
provides.  I wish you luck in finding what you seek.

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas - Roses are Red, Violets are Blue,
I love openSUSE and so should You!
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=459067

0
jdmcdaniel3
5/1/2011 7:06:01 PM
Also as some have mentioned you will have to install it from a Runlevel
3 terminal with no xserver running durning install otherwise it will
fail
you got to have make and gcc + the kenral-source /development installed
also.
it works fine here for me and Though the one the repository works just
as well.

Cheers and good luck with your quest.  don't give up.

--
kc1di-qrp
kc1di-qrp's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=25476
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=459067

0
kc1di
5/1/2011 8:06:01 PM
Thanks all. Looking around at installing kernel things in particular I
have seen a couple of comments that suse and opensuse are a little
different. The solution seems to be

go to /usr/src/linux
su etc
make cloneconfig
make module_prepare

There is also a novel kernel compiling "cool solution"  that also
mentions this and also making sure that the kernel sources are up to
date after a kernel update. There is also mention of maybe having to
unpack Module.symvers.gz into the same directory to fix an error
"/bin/sh scripts/basic/fixdep: File not found".

On the installer there is an option to not check for X running and yet
another to allow it to continue if nouveau is installed. From what I
gather it can be running even if X isn't and that's what makes it
difficult to remove. Pass on if using either of these will be ok but I
thought X and the kernel were fixed once running and changes do not
appear until they are restarted.

If you look at the readme at the head of the repo it gives a link to
the very latest drivers which are now up 270-41. :\ This is tempting but
I need a rest from re installing for a while.

--
John

Suse 11.4 64bit KDE 4.6.0 Issue 6
3.6gig 6700, 64bit 15kU300 Raid 5 home
10K SATA System, SATA swap
ajohnw's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=57263
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=459067

0
ajohnw

Web resources about - Installing nvidia drivers using their own installer. - opensuse.org.help.hardware

Solar panels are lifted into place.

The builder of a south-west Sydney unit block where a young woman plunged to her death during a ferocious fire told a certifier to reduce ...

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper