Hard Disk and Linux

Hello
I have a dualboot installation of Linux and its commercial rivals.I
noticed that Linux makes great hard disk noise that I was not able to
hear while using Windows.Is it due to filesystem?
I hava a recent configuration.

--
Aatish910

Aatish910
3/2/2011 1:36:01 AM
opensuse.org.help.hardware 8187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> Hello
> I have a dualboot installation of Linux and its commercial rivals.I
> noticed that Linux makes great hard disk noise that I was not able to
> hear while using Windows.Is it due to filesystem?
> I hava a recent configuration.                 Hello Aatish910 and welcome to the openSUSE forums.  I must admit that I
have never noticed any sort of issue with hard drive noise created by
openSUSE loading.  I do not claim to have the best hearing however.
None the less, is it possible that you have loaded openSUSE onto a
portion of your hard drive that is going bad?  Does openSUSE load
without any errors?  Does it take a long time for openSUSE to load?  Can
you tell us any more about your computer or hard drive than it makes
noise?

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas (openSUSE 11.3 64 Bit, KDE 4.4.4,
Kernel 2.6.38-rc6, 3D driver:  NVIDIA 260.19.36)
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
jdmcdaniel3
3/2/2011 2:36:02 AM
Is it musical? Maybe you have the next Internet hit. ;)

But seriously I haven't noticed that Linux is noisier than other OSes.
You'll have to describe the nature of the noise: disk drive? fan?

--
ken_yap
ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=221
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
ken
3/2/2011 3:06:02 AM
Aatish910;2297106 Wrote:
> Hello
> I have a dualboot installation of Linux and its commercial rivals.I
> noticed that Linux makes great hard disk noise that I was not able to
> hear while using Windows.Is it due to filesystem?
> I hava a recent configuration.
If you have file indexing enabled that will use a lot of harddisk
activity and thusly, possible more noise. But I would also want to
suspect either a fan or harddisk going towards failure. Linux does a lot
more disk accesses during start-up when you have more features turned on
but in general handles file access in a more responsible way than say
Windows 7.

--
When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you
intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
techwiz03
3/2/2011 7:06:02 AM
OK
I have a good hard disk and my pc is fine.I hear a clicking sound which
is similar to old hard disks writing noise.But the hard disk itself is
in good condition.
I have also noticed this kind of noise in other pc using Linux which
donot make sound when using Windows.
The sound comes from hard disk.Its 100% sure and it only sounds using
LInux.
I respect the Linux community and hope that this problem will be
solved.
Among 10 pcs I could heard tha type of sound except that pc using solid
state hard disk.

--
Aatish910
Aatish910's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51990
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
Aatish910
3/2/2011 7:36:03 AM
On 03/02/2011 08:36 AM, Aatish910 wrote:

> The sound comes from hard disk.Its 100% sure and it only sounds using
> LInux.

are we talking about multiple disks? all internal? some in and some
out? which make noise? which don't?

what Linux file system is in use on the disks? are they set up as any
level of RAID or LVM?

you say you dual boot: do you hear the noise only when Linux is
accessing only the Linux partitions, or do you hear the noise only
when Linux is accessing the non-Linux partitions..

have you installed SMART? what does it say about the condition of your
drive(s)..

are you hearing a 'click' or more of a 'grind'....does it begin about
15 minutes after start up and continue for (say) ten minutes or 15
minutes and then slowly become less and less noticeable..

--
DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD

not sure what is causing it....

--
ftriscari12
ftriscari12's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=48855
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
ftriscari12
3/2/2011 9:36:02 AM
The filesystem in use is ext4.Smart is enabled.It doesnt report any bad
symptoms.It occurs upon accessing any partition right from when Linux is
booting.
The hard disk is internal SATA (WDC WD5000AADS-00S9B0).

--
Aatish910
Aatish910's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51990
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
Aatish910
3/2/2011 10:36:01 AM
On 2011-03-02 11:36, Aatish910 wrote:

> The filesystem in use is ext4.Smart is enabled.It doesnt report any bad
> symptoms.It occurs upon accessing any partition right from when Linux is
> booting.

Laptop?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
3/2/2011 1:33:07 PM
Check for any processes that are using up resources by using top

Code:
--------------------

  top

--------------------

Also check you I/O statistics with iostat

Code:
--------------------

  /usr/bin/iostat

--------------------

Please post your findings.

Hiatt

--
jthiatt08
jthiatt08's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=7949
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
jthiatt08
3/2/2011 4:06:02 PM
Hello jthiatt08.  I had never even herd of the program *top* before and
its output appears to be very interesting.  As for iostat, seems like
you must install the application set called sysstat in order to get the
file */usr/bin/iostat* installed which was not installed by default in
my copy of openSUSE 11.4 RC2 anyway.  Again, very interesting programs
to run.

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas (openSUSE 11.3 64 Bit, KDE 4.4.4,
Kernel 2.6.38-rc6, 3D driver:  NVIDIA 260.19.36)
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
jdmcdaniel3
3/2/2011 11:06:01 PM
Aatish910;2297168 Wrote:
> OK
> I have a good hard disk and my pc is fine.I hear a clicking sound which
> is similar to old hard disks writing noise.But the hard disk itself is
> in good condition.
> I have also noticed this kind of noise in other pc using Linux which
> donot make sound when using Windows.
> The sound comes from hard disk.Its 100% sure and it only sounds using
> LInux.
> I respect the Linux community and hope that this problem will be
> solved.
> Among 10 pcs I could heard tha type of sound except that pc using solid
> state hard disk.

This is not a problem of operating systems, that means that your HDD
operates. Anyway if you want a HDD without this sound buy a ssd. Also my
Hdd has this sound when operates. Also maybe you have not enough ram, so
operating system uses Hdd as auxiliary memory. Check your ram.

--
CPU: AMD PHENOM II X3 ΣΤΑ 3,7 GHZ
VIDEO: AMD ATI RADEON 6970 2GB
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
stamostolias
3/3/2011 9:36:02 AM
I have 4 gb ddr3 ram. If i disable swap,will any bad thing occur?

--
Aatish910
Aatish910's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51990
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
Aatish910
3/4/2011 3:36:02 AM
> I have 4 gb ddr3 ram. If i disable swap,will any bad thing occur?
> While the SWAP hard disk partition is not used if you have enough RAM
memory, how much RAM is enough and do you know you will not run out due
to loading a bunch of programs?  What if one of the programs has a
memory leak? They are not supposed to have such a problem, but if you
run into this and you run out of RAM, your Linux OS could be dead or
near death all of a sudden if there is no SWAP to fall back on.  And, if
you use the Hibernate function, the SWAP is said to be where this
information is saved.  As most Linux OS systems think there is a SWAP
somewhere, unless you are running out of disk space, leave that SWAP
partition there and do not remove it.  As long as you are not swapping
programs in to it, it is not slowing you down.  And if you find you are
using it, it is keeping your system running.

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas (openSUSE 11.3 64 Bit, KDE 4.4.4,
Kernel 2.6.38-rc6, 3D driver:  NVIDIA 260.19.36)
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
jdmcdaniel3
3/4/2011 4:06:01 AM
On 03/04/2011 04:36 AM, Aatish910 wrote:

> I have 4 gb ddr3 ram. If i disable swap,will any bad thing occur?

sure might...if you fill your RAM do want the machine to lock up, or
keep going?

what might you expect to gain by disabling swap?

--
DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
"It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not." DD 23 Jan 11
0
DenverD
3/4/2011 10:29:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.
Opensuse community is a great community.

--
Aatish910
Aatish910's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=51990
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
Aatish910
3/4/2011 11:36:01 AM
On 03/04/2011 05:36 AM, Aatish910 wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion.
> Opensuse community is a great community.

Just for the record - If you have a lot of RAM, then you do not need swap;
however, not only do you risk the possibility of a system lockup if a process
leaks memory or runs away, but more importantly, you rob the kernel of an
important tool it uses in managing memory. Are you smarter than Linus Torvalds??
0
Larry
3/4/2011 3:57:22 PM
I have the same problem and i've been running linux since 1999, so is
this not a normal thing. i thought it might be the drives indexing. i
did an updatedb and it made no difference.

for some reason i put my ear on my pc's chassis last night. much like a
car mechanic uses their ear to hear timing or valves. one drive sort of
sounds like a coffee maker, but i've have heard that in hard drives
before. it's a brand new seagate 1TB. my seagate 500 is as quiet as they
come, but i was shocked to hear what the heck was going on. the actuator
arm simply never stops moving. it almost sounds like the thing is going
rip out of the chassis. but if i boot into windows nothing, it's quiet.
i do hear the drives, but it's the normal sound of an actuator arm
moving over the surface. i did a large file copy from one drive to the
other and while it did make noise as it should it is nothing like the
noise it makes while running linux or gnu/linux whatever. i thought of
using different linux distributions and disconnecting each drive. these
are "new" sata drives configured in ahci (one is one year and the other
2 months). i can't see how they would last a day running like i heard
them in linux. i just had one fail and wonders if it simply was worked
to death from bad controller code.

- gnu/linux #231826
- x58/ich10r | i7-950| 3@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt240 1GB [19"
16:10, 19" 4:3] | 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw [sata ahci] | 600W

--
carolinason
carolinason's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=58660
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
carolinason
5/16/2011 12:36:05 PM
> I have the same problem and i've been running linux since 1999, so is
> this not a normal thing. i thought it might be the drives indexing. i
> did an updatedb and it made no difference.
>
> for some reason i put my ear on my pc's chassis last night. much like a
> car mechanic uses their ear to hear timing or valves. one drive sort of
> sounds like a coffee maker, but i've have heard that in hard drives
> before. it's a brand new seagate 1TB. my seagate 500 is as quiet as they
> come, but i was shocked to hear what the heck was going on. the
> actuator arm simply never stops moving. it almost sounds like the thing
> is going rip out of the chassis. but if i boot into windows nothing,
> it's quiet. i do hear the drives, but it's the normal sound of an
> actuator arm moving over the surface. i did a large file copy from one
> drive to the other and while it did make noise as it should it is
> nothing like the noise it makes while running linux or gnu/linux
> whatever. i thought of using different linux distributions and
> disconnecting each drive. these are "new" sata drives configured in ahci
> (one is one year and the other 2 months). i can't see how they would
> last a day running like i heard them in linux. i just had one fail and
> wonders if it simply was worked to death from bad controller code.

Constant disk activity might be the fault of an application.  Once such
application is Tracker.  If you open up YaST / Software / Software
Management, search for tracker and then uninstall the four applications
(which you could always reinstall if you wanted to later) and see if the
crazy disk activity goes away.

Thank You,

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas - To err is human... to really foul
up requires the root password!
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
jdmcdaniel3
5/16/2011 11:06:05 PM
jdmcdaniel3;2340596 Wrote:
> Constant disk activity might be the fault of an application.  Once such
> application is Tracker.  If you open up YaST / Software / Software
> Management, search for tracker and then uninstall the four applications
> (which you could always reinstall if you wanted to later) and see if the
> crazy disk activity goes away.

Hi James, you don't need to uninstall tracker (although I agree that it
is annoying). It can be enabled or disabled in the session properties.
To disable it

- under KDE:
  Personal Settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> Autostart
  Uncheck *Tracker File System Miner* and *Tracker Store*

  If these entries are missing, copy the two files from
  /etc/xdg/autostart in ~/.config/autostart:

Code:
--------------------
        cp {/etc/xdg,~/.config}/autostart/tracker-miner-fs.desktop
    cp {/etc/xdg,~/.config}/autostart/tracker-store.desktop

--------------------

  You can then uncheck them.

- Under Gnome:
  System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications.
  Uncheck Tracker File System Miner and Tracker Store

- Under XFCE:
  Settings -> Preferences -> Settings Manager -> Session and Startup ->
  Application Autostart
  Uncheck Tracker File System Miner and Tracker Store

- Under LXDE (should be disabled by default):
  Session Settings
  Uncheck Tracker File System Miner and Tracker Store

When you disable these services under Gnome, the following key/value is
set in tracker-miner-fs.desktop and tracker-store.desktop located in
~/.config/autostart:

Code:
--------------------
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false
--------------------

When you disable them in KDE and XFCE, the following key/value is set:

Code:
--------------------
    Hidden=true
--------------------

--
please_try_again
please_try_again's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=10877
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
please
5/17/2011 7:06:04 AM
Hello please_try_again.  The real annoying thing is why does it go
berserk on a few installations while apparently working OK on most??
Since I have seen this issue more than once on my own computer and see
it ever so often in the forum, something is going on, but it does not
happen often enough to really figure out what is going on.  I do know it
can be disabled, but if you make me mad, you are out of here. lol!

--
Remember that little in Life is certain, including any advice you may
get from me, you poor soul, but at least I am trying to help.

:)Its James again from Austin Texas - To err is human... to really foul
up requires the root password!
jdmcdaniel3's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=43440
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
jdmcdaniel3
5/17/2011 11:06:02 AM
On 2011-05-17 13:06, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
> Hello please_try_again.  The real annoying thing is why does it go
> berserk on a few installations while apparently working OK on most??

Beagle went mad when searching certain files. Some patterns triggered bugs,
searching in loops, don't know. We reported them, and eventually they were
solved.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos
5/17/2011 12:33:06 PM
Aatish910;2297106 Wrote:
> Hello
> I have a dualboot installation of Linux and its commercial rivals.I
> noticed that Linux makes great hard disk noise that I was not able to
> hear while using Windows.Is it due to filesystem?
> I hava a recent configuration.

This subject has come up before about 3 or 4 weeks ago if you look.
I don't know about everybody else, If it does not look or in this case
sound like you are use to, Then there is more then likely a problem.
With that said, I have had this same crunching sound in the hard drives
upon a install or a re-install, More then once over the last 3 or 4
releases, It does not happen all the time and not often, But it has
happen enough to me that it is something that I look for , In this case
listen for on an new install.

If you have heard the drive before, It is easy to pick up on If you
hear it again, and I reinstall the system before I get to far.

Most of the time a re-install or two will fix it.
I will say , It has not damage any of my drives.

--
Vaio F12: i7-740QM 4GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
OpenSuse 11.4 64 bit
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
linclkh
5/18/2011 3:36:04 AM
Here it is. This maybe the problem, It is nothing I what to deal with.
So I re-install. Sometimes it is not that faint, If you don't have a
bunch of fans on and back ground noise.But this maybe different then
what I experience. Don't no.
'Hard Drive Heads frequently being set to rest position (Is this
normal?)' (http://tinyurl.com/6c33qe6)

--
Vaio F12: i7-740QM 4GB RAM Nvidia GT 330m
OpenSuse 11.4 64 bit
Qosmio i7-740QM 8GB RAM Nvidia GT 360m
500 GB HD 7200 | 1 TB HD
Opensuse 11.3 64 bit | VBox, Zoneminder & Mythtv
linclkh's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=37059
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454863

0
linclkh

Help adding large hard disk
Help, My last threat is in February 6. I added all the patches to the system, then "blew away" the Netware partition, leaving the DOS partition. I then ran install from the Netware 4.1 install disk. All ran great until the install program asks about whether want a manual or automatic installation of the HD. At this point, the machine just freezes up. Nothing happens, HD light not red, nada, nothing, zip, zippo. Tried both manual and automatic installations. Same result. Freezes at Netware Server Insatllation 4.1 screen. No options visible. Thanks Al...

Help Help Help Help Help Help

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Help: Replace the hard disk
Hello everyone, I want to replace the hard disk on my Pentium 133 system. I believe it needs a 8.4GB disk which have long been out of stock. The seller offers me a Seagate 20GB disk, saying that my computer can still recognise it as a 8.4GB disk. My questions are: Is she telling the truth? If she is, would there be any extra steps that I must perform when I install the drive? Many thanks in advance. > I want to replace the hard disk on my Pentium 133 system. I believe it needs > a 8.4GB disk which have long been out of stock. The seller offers me a > Seagate 20GB ...

help help help help

Linux Hard Disk name
Hi Guys I need to know the Linux device names that it would assign to my Hard Disk , so that in AutoYast's autoinst.xml file I can ask it to partition the right disk. So as an e.g., if I have 3 disks on my system and I need to use a particular disk to install SLES on - The name could be /dev/hda, or /dev/hdb etc. How would I get to know what Linux name does the HD (that I want to partition ) have? Please help thanks, Nikhil -- nikhilfake ------------------------------------------------------------------------ These days usually sda, sdb, sdc and so o...

Help Help Help Help

Aix Hard disk help
Hello, I am a little out of my know zone here. We are working on a suspected AIX box at work. its an ibm risc 6000. that won't boot to its os. I have tried knoppix boot disks to see if the hd was visible. So In all our troubleshooting we bought a similar box off ebay. This new(er) one boots into aix. (the user said the old box didn't use a gui) We put the hd from the old box into this one. and are trying to see if there is data on it. I know some linux commands and have tried mounting the hd with: mount /dev/hdisk1 /mnt/dan and get can not determine log device...

Help: Mounting New Hard Disk
helo buddies i got new problem arise I have a hard disk formatted in fat32 format i want to mount it plz help me. -- rajnostradamus1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excellent graphical guide 'here.' (http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtosusediskaccesspermissions.html) If you need further help, then run this command as root user and post output: fdisk -l -- deano_ferrari ------------------------------------------------------------------------ deano_ferrari's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php...

HELP! Linux is hogging my hard drive!
I have only recently installed open SUSE 11.3 and i would like to point out that i am totally new to this OS so please forgive me if i don�t understand your answer. During instillation i ticked a box saying that Linux could use the whole of my D:\ drive not knowing that by doing this i effectively wiped it therefore losing quite a few of my files >:(. Is there any way i could make it so that the drive can be accessed by my Windows OS and my Linux OS? Thank you in advance. -- Beep06 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Beep06 wrote: ...

linux log in/password on hard disk boot

HELP HELP HELP
Hi again: Just tested my first test and proceeded to test and install a second time. This time I let the server run the update after registering with Novell. However, upon reboot the server was dorked as it could not read my /usr and /var partitions (fstab was bad). Now here is what changed between my first the second build: I added a separate partition for /usr, that is all. I could really use a hand here. If I can't trust the update mechanism ...... Chris. Chris wrote: > Hi again: Just tested my first test and proceeded to test > and install a second...

Calling Disk drive/hardware geeks! (help)
Hi, I committed a cardinal sin when working on my wife's PC. I made two changes at once. 1) I added a hard disk and copied the original C: partition to the new drive and removed the old. 2) I added an IDE Zip 100 drive from an older DELL someone gave me. I ran Spinrite on the new drive and left the office for home. When I came back next day, the prog had frozen after 17 minutes. Subsequent tests show that the machine not only freezes but sometimes goes black with the disk lite on. Turning power off sometimes doesn't clear this except leaving it off for 5 minutes...

HELP!!!HELP!!!HELP!!!
I try set picture to database and import it to picture control. Why SetPicture funktio dosen�t work? blob b, tot_b integer li_FileNum, loops, i, ret long flen, bytes_read, new_pos string txtname, named string defext = "BMP", Filter = "bitmap Files (*.bmp), *.bmp" ret = GetFileOpenName("Open Bitmap", txtname, named, defext, filter) SetPointer(HourGlass!) flen = FileLength(txtname) li_FileNum = FileOpen(txtname, StreamMode!, Read!, LockRead!) IF flen > 32765 THEN IF Mod(flen, 32765) = 0 THEN loops = flen/32765 ELSE loops = (flen/32765...

Web resources about - Hard Disk and Linux - opensuse.org.help.hardware

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Visual Studio now supports debugging Linux apps; Code editor now open source
... Studio Code editor, now open source, editing TypeScript on OS X. (credit: Microsoft) NEW YORK—Developers can now debug apps running on Linux ...

HP AMD-powered t730 is first thin client with native 4K offers Windows or Linux
... flash memory Graphics: AMD Fire Pro W2100; AMD Radeon GPU System Memory: Up to 16GBDDR3L-1600 SDRAM What I really love is that both Linux ...

Pay what you want to master Ruby, HTML5, Linux, Git and more
Whether you want to learn PHP, Ruby, or Linux, we got a bundle that can teach it all—and then some. Pay what you want for this nine-course Learn ...

File-encrypting ransomware starts targeting Linux Web servers
After targeting consumer and then business computers, ransomware authors are now going after Web servers.

Review: 5 memory debuggers for Linux coding
As a programmer, I'm aware that I tend to make mistakes and why not? Even programmers are human. Some errors are detected during code compilation, ...

Microsoft Unveils Tools for Android, Azure, iOS, Linux, Office, Windows
At its annual Connect(); developer event, Microsoft introduced new tools and services for a variety of platforms, from Windows to iOS and Android. ...

Microsoft courts Linux, iOS and Android developers with new wave of technologies
... to expand its software development platform and tools further beyond its traditional Windows base — aiming in part to reach more iOS, Linux ...