Starting applications from command line?

All,
I am a redhat admin and also use Ubuntu.  Installed opensuse on my
home machine to give it a whirl.  I can't seem to figure out why i can't
open gui application from the command line.

I receive a GTK error when trying to open with sudo.  What am i doing
wrong?

EDIT: NM solved my own question, had to add DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY to
the sudoers file.

--
markdjones82

markdjones82

Sudo may not be configured. I have never had any problem opening a
console as a user and entering the application name there. If it
requires root privileges, I enter su -- give the password and then the
application name.

--
john_hudson
john_hudson's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1134

0
john

if you use KDE, kdesu <application> will generally be the best way to
start a graphical application requiring root privileges from the command
line.

There is an equivalent for Gnome, the name of which escapes me right
now.

HTH

Lenwolf

--
lenwolf
lenwolf's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=19438
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454424

0
lenwolf
2/21/2011 10:06:04 AM
lenwolf;2293064 Wrote:
> There is an equivalent for Gnome, the name of which escapes me right
> now.

If I remember correctly it is just gnomesu.

--
-*Thanks, Andrew*-
Desktop: openSUSE 11.4 RC1 KDE x86_64
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454424

0
ah7013
2/21/2011 10:06:04 AM
Correct, -kdesu- and -gnomesu- will take care of the -DISPLAY- and
-xhost- issues.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=454424

0
hcvv
2/21/2011 10:36:02 AM
On 2011-02-20 22:06, markdjones82 wrote:

> EDIT: NM solved my own question, had to add DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY to
> the sudoers file.

Could you explain what you did?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)
0
Carlos

Application to Application
Hi,  Curious on what different solutions there are for one application that is closing down to contact another application. I have the closing down applicaton sending something to the database and for the other application to monitor the database records, but I think that is a horrible solution. Another idea would be when the closing down application sends a message to the database for the database to then respond by sending a message to the other application, but that means the database would have to know where the other application is.  If possible, the security issue mak...

Starting the server application and stopping the server application from the client application
Hi , How do I do it ? I want to start the server application from my client app. After all my jobs are over , when I disconnect from the server, I want to close the server application. Both the client and server applications will be running on the desktop under NT or win95 environment. If the client app is abc.exe and the server app is pqr.exe when the user starts the client app from his desktop, the client should start pqr.exe . Now after finishing all the process when the user closes the client, I want to disconnect from server and close the server pqr then close abc...

Starting VCL application with command line parameters
I would like to send startup parameters to my VCL application. Could someone tell me how I can capture these in the application? Thanks, David > I would like to send startup parameters to my > VCL application. Could someone tell me how > I can capture these in the application? Look VCL Help: ParamCount(), ParamStr(). Example: for ( int i=0; i<=ParamCount(); i++ ) ShowMessage( ParamStr( i ) ); -- Best Regards, Vladimir Stefanovic "Vladimir Stefanovic" <antivari@sbb.co.yu> wrote in message news:8030@forums.codegear.com... > Look...

How can I start "Application Browser" from the command line?
How can I start "Application Browser" from the command line? I want to call Opensuse 11 Application Browser from the command line (terminal). How to do it? If I want to know how to call every program from the terminal could you please suggest me a book to read? Thanks. rotfl! -- ggyyree ------------------------------------------------------------------------ When I want to do that, I simply run the menu editor and see what command is in there. In KDE4 you simply right click on the menu button and select "Edit Menu", not sure about Gnome or...

Stop and Start a Web Application using Application Pool contains may Web Applications
Hi, In my IIS 6.0, there is a Application Pool. This Application Pool contains 5 Asp.net Web Application. But I need to stop and restart one particular Web Application. How to do that? What is the process to start and stop a Asp.net Web Application. when the Web Application uses a Application Pool and the Particular Application Pool contains other Web Application as well.?     if you want like that then create separate application pool for each web application. Then you can start and stop one particular web application. Other easy way is just modify the web.config file of you...

I want to prepare help document for my web application like microsoft applications help?
I want to prepare help document for my web application like microsoft applications help? Is there a tool for building help pages ? Thanks There's a program called HTML Help workshop you can use... It's free but in my humble opinion it sucks... you may want to take a look at it anyway: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00535334-c8a6-452f-9aa0-d597d16580cc&displaylang=en Hope it helps...

What is a Command Line Application??
What is a Command Line Application?? Is it a console application in visul studio, I was doing a tutorial here, on remoting, and the server project component is a CommandLineApplication, I don't have this option in visual studio as a project type. If some one can clarify. http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Tutorials/DnRemotingIntroDT001.asp A command line applicaiton is a console application. The correct name for the project type is a Console Application and that is how Visual Studio will refer to it. HTH,RyanRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryanolshan.comHow to ask a quest...

another Application starting
Please have a look at the following log my application has made: 9:33:38Application Starting (Application_Start) 9:33:38Application variable 'server' is really null 9:33:39Session Starting (Session_Start) 9:37:12Application Starting (Application_Start) 9:37:12Application variable 'server' is really null 9:37:12Session Starting (Session_Start) So the question is how is it ever possible that another instance of my web application is starting after 5 min when I have session timeout set to 30 min? I have problem with that because in each case the application creates ne...

Application State or HttpContext.Current.Application HELP !!
Hi, I used HttpContext.Current.Application in my class file to make the Application state. My friend told me that you should have used Application State instead of using HttpContext.Current.Application. So what do u guys think whats the difference between Application State and HttpContext.Current.Application. Thanks,HighOnCodingWanna get high! ...

Help with a Help application
 HelloI am looking for an application that can be integrated with my ASP.NET application to provide context sensitive help. When users navigate to different pages and click on the help icon, they should be able to see the help for the page they are on. The help text will be manually entered by a team that is not technically inclined.Currently, we have ASPX/HTML pages that holds the help information and link it from the header that has the help icon.Please let me know which products I can look at.Thanks! what I did: I put an help button on my masterpage....Javascript code on the maste...

Application Unavailable, .aspx applications not working! Help, Please!
Whenever I make and run an .aspx application, this happens, but when I run an .asp application, it doesn't: Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the system event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur. 1.) How do I get to the 'log entry'? 2.) A...

Application inside an Application...how?
Ok I have a public website and a local Intranet, each on its own web server. Each has its own IP, ect. What Im trying to do is create a virtual directory on the public website that would link to the Intranet. Now I can map it ok, I create a new virtual directory and make it an application, but theres a conflict because each applications has its own web.config and global.asax file. So when I go to the virtual directory in the browser, the application cannot load the global.asax. Has anyone figured out how to have completely independent applications (its own global.asax, its own web.con...

Help needed
Hi, I wrote an application (Delphi2010) and copied it (together with some other applications) to a customer's machine. They are working with a terminal server there. Now my problem: When they are logged in with admin-rights, everything works fine, when not, the icon of this application is white (DOS-icon) and when starting it, they get the error: "Auf das angegebene Gerät bzw. Pfad oder Datei kann nicht zugegriffen werden. Sie verfügen eventuell nicht über ausreichende Berechtigungen, um auf das Element zugreifen zu können" I try to tr...

Applications within applications
We Have a website that has a subfolder that is configured as an application... is it possible to now configure the root as an application? How would that affect application level variables in the "sub folder application"?----------------------------------------------------------- -rune ----------------------------------------------------------- ...

Web resources about - Starting applications from command line? - opensuse.org.help.applications

Miller accused's bail application adjourned until Friday
One of the two men charged with causing the one-punch death of Brisbane teenager Cole Miller will stay behind bars until at least Friday.

Apple Stores planned for India as application is filed with regulators
... India Times , the company has recently taken a major step in accomplishing that goal. According to the report, Apple has just filed an application ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 17% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Mortgage Applications Increase as Rates Fall in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 9.0 percent ...

Mortgage applications rebound
Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis, for the week ending January 8th, versus previous week,