command. "rm" "lsattr"

I've tried to delete my / tmp /  directory white "rm" but without luck.
I have the following with "lsattr" tried to look at the files I can not
delete. but I do not understand the attribute e "e--------------. /
​​plugtmp" or whatever it is denying me access to other files

lsattr: Adgang nægtet While reading flags on ./luxh2ybf.tmp
lsattr: Adgang nægtet While reading flags on ./luxh302n.tmp
-------------e- ./plugtmp
-------------e- ./virtual-hans.7Owu4o
lsattr: Adgang nægtet While reading flags on ./luxh302e.tmp
lsattr: Adgang nægtet While reading flags on ./luxh302l.tmp
-------------e- ./hans
-------------e- ./virtual-hans.tMgFSB
-------------e- ./virtual-hans.2bdkzC
lsattr: Adgang nægtet While reading flags on ./luxh2ybd.tmp

--
hhbuur

hhbuur

On 02/20/2012 07:36 PM, hhbuur wrote:
> I've tried to delete my / tmp  / directory

first, i do not believe Linux can run without a /tmp so unless it is
your purpose to kill your system, i would stop trying to remove the
directory..

second, i believe it is probably possible to learn what inside the /tmp
directory is not in use....but, i do not know offhand an easy way to
know what inside can be safely removed--so, i would (if i were you)
cease trying (i assume, you are working inside a up and running
system--if, on the other hand you have booted from a live CD and are
looking at the /tmp of a shutdown system, then everything you see in
/tmp (but NOT /tmp itself) can be deleted..

third, if you just want to make sure there is nothing in there which is
not needed then do this: 'Clear Temp Files at Boot - openSUSE Forums'
(http://tinyurl.com/yzmzp5b)

fourth, anyway, why did you want to remove tmp?

--
DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
0

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180

0
hcvv
2/20/2012 8:16:03 PM
ok I have not as written tried to delete / tmp but the contents of the
directory.
why I try to delete from / tmp. I am still going through "SUSE Linux
Toolbox-1000-Commands-for-opensuse-and-SUSE-Linux-Enterprise.pdf2" and
reached the command "lsattr" so I've just tried som.

--
hhbuur
hhbuur's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=52397

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 20:16:03 +0000, hhbuur wrote:

> ok I have not as written tried to delete / tmp but the contents of the
> directory.

Install tmpwatch to do this rather than trying to use rm to do it -
tmpwatch is a much safer way to do this as it checks to see if the files
are actually being used for something and leaves them alone if they are.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator

2) do not delete files in- /tmp- unless you know exectly what you do.
When you want to experiment, you beter do this on a test directory (and
files) within your own home directory.

3) you may of course use -lsattr, -but it is specialy for attributes of
files on ext2/3/4 file systems and not for the generaly used attibutes.
Most people will never use it, but use- ls -l- .

4) when you want to know more about -lsattr, -type:

Code:
--------------------
    man lsattr
--------------------

5) you will find there that it points to -chattr- for the meaning of
the attribute letters, thus do

Code:
--------------------
    man chattr
--------------------

for explanation about the -e- you see.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=472637

0
hcvv
2/20/2012 8:36:02 PM
And to know why you have no access to a file, do e.g.

Code:
--------------------
    ls -l /tmp/plugtmp
--------------------

because this gives you the owner, group and access bits of the file
which -lsattr- doesn't.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=472637

0
hcvv
2/20/2012 8:46:03 PM
I guess I can not afford permission.

Code:
--------------------
    :~> ls -l /tmp/plugtmp
  totalt 0

--------------------

And also thanks for the informative answer. wg hhb

--
hhbuur
hhbuur's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=52397
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=472637

0
hhbuur
2/21/2012 12:06:03 PM
When -/tmp/plugtemp- is a directory, you should do:

Code:
--------------------
    ls -ld /tmp/plugtmp
--------------------

Again, when you want to learn about a command like- ls,- do

Code:
--------------------
    man ls
--------------------

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=472637

0
hcvv
2/21/2012 12:46:03 PM
yes i begin to see wot you are saying. and it is root permission there
is requiter
i got tmpwatch install and it seems to be working, i added these line.

Code:
--------------------
    sudo /usr/sbin/tmpwatch -umc 1 /tmp
--------------------

i doe not think that i have -# /tmp/plugtemp- but only # /tmp

Code:
--------------------
    drwxrwxrwt 19 root root 4096 21 feb 14:35 .
--------------------

--
hhbuur
hhbuur's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=52397
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=472637

0
hhbuur
2/21/2012 2:06:03 PM
Well, it is nice that you begin to see what we are saying, but I am
still not realy seeing what you are doing.

Except that you try to follow some document, but I have not read the
document and thus do not realy know what you are doing. Only thing we
did was:

a) warn you to remove things from- /tm-p without precisely knowing what
you are doing. You may of course ask here to get that
knowledge, but you should tell then much, much more about your
goals/problems.

b) tell you that it is the -ls -tool that tells you about ownership and
access protection of files/directories and not the -lsattr- tool.

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=472637

0
hcvv
2/21/2012 2:26:03 PM
I realize that what the long list command to do and I have not used
lsattr as an ls command
As you can see the lsattr command is just an otter exercise in the book
that I read
this com From the book ”SUSE-Linux-Toolbox-1000-Commands” pages 70

Changing File Attributes
Files and directories in Linux file systems all have read, write, and
execute permissions
associated with user, group, and others. However, there are also other
attributes that
can be attached to files and directories that are specific to certain
file system types.
Files on ext2 and ext3 file systems have special attributes that you
may choose to use.
You can list these attributes with the lsattr command. Most attributes
are obscure and not
turned on by default. Here’s an example of using lsattr to see some
files’ attributes

Code:
--------------------

  # lsattr /etc/host*
  -------------- /etc/host.conf
  -------------- /etc/hosts
  -------------- /etc/hosts.allow
  -------------- /etc/hosts.deny
  -------------- /etc/hosts.equiv
  -------------- /etc/hosts.lpd
  -------------- /etc/hosts.YaST2save

--------------------

the output from my pc is whit an “e” but e dos to my knowledge not
exist as a attributes I the
man lsattr. what 1000 commands saying is that attributes can change
permissions to a file or directive in a way that can not be changed on
the file without first removing the attribute, and this also applies to
rood rights

Code:
--------------------

  #:~> lsattr /etc/host*
  -------------e- /etc/host.conf
  -------------e- /etc/hosts
  -------------e- /etc/hosts.allow
  -------------e- /etc/hosts.deny
  -------------e- /etc/hosts.equiv
  -------------e- /etc/hosts.lpd

--------------------

--
hhbuur
hhbuur's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=52397
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=472637

0
hhbuur
2/21/2012 5:56:03 PM
As I told you earlier, the -e- is explained in the -chattr- man page
(which is pointed to in the -lsattr- man page).

I am not going to read your exercise book. I can only say that almost
nobody ever uses -lsattr. -Maybe you should leave that book to other
times and try to use openSUSE

--
Henk van Velden
hcvv's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=180
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=472637

0
hcvv

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

Replacing "\\" with "\"

double quote

"-" not "_"

replace the "." with a ","

"Me" is better than "You"

"Using" or "With"

"To" and "From" missing

Using "+" or "||"

"JROC" / "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ"
I just started a new contract and the tech lead told me that he wanted me to become familiar with something called "JROC" (among some other tools). I've been searching the web and I haven't found any dev tool called "JROC." Based on the name of the tool, it sounds like it encapsulates some javascript functionality. I have tried searching for different spellings - "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ" but I haven't found any matches. Have you ever heard of a dev tool by this name?...

"SSL" "Mail" and "Code"
Does anybody know of any discussions taking place within Mozilla regarding these 3 bits in the certificate manager? Perhaps I've missed something in the discussions here. In any case, I think a new mechanism for indicating trust w/in the Mozilla apps are needed. Take for example the "StartCom Certification Authority" root. The Certificate Manager (I'm using Firefox on Windows) says it can identify web sites, email users, and code yet the cert itself says it can only be used for signing other certs (essentially, that is). At a minimum this is confusing but I have...

Web resources about - command. "rm" "lsattr" - opensuse.org.help.applications