10.2.0 to 10.3.3 - CASA install hang

When deploying an update to the ZCM Agent on various workstations from
10.2 (exact sub-version unknown, I can get it if necessary) to 10.3.3
with the requisite stopover at 10.3.0a, in many though not all cases the
update "hangs" waiting for CASA.MSI to be processed.

During the processing of CASA.MSI, it launches a sub-process of
'micasad.exe /install'. (In some cases it does this twice, the second
time with additional arguments for a REINSTALL scenario.)

micasad.exe itself then launches a sub-process of 'regsvr32 /s /n /i
lcredmgr.dll' (with full paths, et cetera). This process apparently
never returns.

If I run the regsvr32 command by hand, it completes instantly, with no
errors.

If I use Task Manager to kill the "hung" regsvr32 process which was
launched by micasad - with or without having run the same command by
hand - micasad proceeds from there, and the install continues, to finish
without errors. (In cases where micasad is launched again for a
REINSTALL scenario, the same hang often repeats, but the same fix of
killing regsvr32 fixes it.)

If I instead use Task Manager to kill micasad.exe, CASA rolls itself
back and the install continues, but finishes with an error (because CASA
wasn't upgraded properly). Repairing this scenario requires jumping
through quite a few hoops, and I haven't found a single consistent fix
yet.

Additional data:

* This update has been attempted on both XP SP2 and XP SP3, but to date
the hang has been seen only on SP3. (We are only now deploying Windows
7, so we're not deploying 10.3.3 there as an update, but it has had no
problems in from-scratch install so far.)

* The hang is not universally consistent. In a few cases, the install
proceeded flawlessly. The hardware involved in those cases is identical
to the ones where it failed, and the machines involved were built from
the same image, although that was in January and they may have diverged
since then. This success happened in roughly 4 cases out of 25; I have
not managed to identify any common factor.

* I am not positive, but I believe that the hang has occurred only in
the 10.3.0a phase of the update, not in the 10.3.3 phase.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Failing that, any ideas for how to work around it by automating the
"wait for regsvr32.exe to hang, then kill it so the install can proceed"
process? (Keeping in mind that of course we can't run bundles during all
this.)

--
inverseparadox

inverseparadox
6/25/2011 3:06:01 PM
novell.zenworks.cfg.10.agent 2099 articles. 0 followers. Follow

inverseparadox,

correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0
Automatic

10.0.3 agent updating to 10.0.1 instead of 10.0.3.2
MY ZCM10 server is windows 2003 SP2 R2 updated to zcm 10.0.3.2 When I deploy the ZCM agent to a workstation the workstation installs the 10.0.3 agent. After the reboot, the workstation then downloads and installs the 10.0.1 msi files. The ZAA still lists the agent as 10.0.3. Any idea why the 10.0.1 files are being downloaded to the workstation after 10.0.3 is installed on the workstation? Any idea how I can get 10.0.3.2 to install on the workstation? -- moffatt ------------------------------------------------------------------------ moffatt said on 7/23/2008, ...

10.0.3 agent imaged with 10.0.3.2
Hi, I have many devices with 10.0.3 agent on which I need to push a new image. Those devices are pending to receive the new 10.0.3.2 agent version. The new image contains the 10.0.3.2 agent. Is this image process could cause any damage ? Thanks. Normand said on 7/22/2008, >I have many devices with 10.0.3 agent on which I need to push a new image. >Those devices are pending to receive the new 10.0.3.2 agent version. > >The new image contains the 10.0.3.2 agent. > >Is this image process could cause any damage ? I don't think so, other than the nor...

10.0.3 agent update to 10.0.3.2
On some devices, when the update try to install, they are going in Error state and the error message is: "One or more pre-requisite updates failed to install to this device. Ensure all pre-requisite updates have been applied successfully and try again." What is that/those pre-requisite ? Thanks. I don't know if all I did help to resolve my problem but I: - reboot my ZCM server - unregister devices - re-register devices - refresh devices Now, update is applied. Refered to TID 7000785 "Normand" <nhudon@noreply.ca> a �crit dans le message...

Downgrade Zenworks 10.3.3 to Zenworks 10.3.2
Hi all..i got a request from customer to do downgrade Zenwork Agent from 10.3.3 to 10.3.2.. In before, we are using 10.3.2 and then, after download 10.3.3, the mark item in "System Update" move to 10.3.3.. And the status of 10.3.2 has been "Superceded"..while the status for 10.3.3 is "downloaded". Right now, all workstation and satellite server still using 10.3.2, and use change their mind to use back 10.3.2...even i suggest to upgrade all device with the latest version, but user still dont want it.. They ask me to use 10.3.2 back.. If i delete 10.3.3 ve...

Force 10.0.3 agent update to 10.0.3.2
Hi, Is it possible to force agents that are at 10.0.3 version to update to 10.0.3.2 ? I have many devices that are in pending state since many days (weeks) and some policies and/or bundles I made are not applying maybe because of this... Can someone help me ? Thanks. If the 10.0.3.2 has downloaded to the machines but just not run, you can try the following: > > C: > CD "C:\Program > Files\Novell\ZENworks\logs\system-update\5754c9d3833a435386c200e70e17a0b6" > "C:\Program Files\Novell\Zenworks\Bin\zenupdater.exe" -v -c > update_com...

ZCM 10.2.2 upgrade to ZCM 10.3.0/10.3.1
Hi All, I want to check if want to upgrade from ZCM 10.2.2 to ZCM 10..3.0/10.3.1 What kind of things I need to prepare? My server is under SLES 10 SP3 Hope you can provide me the solution and answer on that. -- wcpon ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Click the following link for the 10.3.1 update readme: 'Update for ZENworks 10 Configuration Management SP3 (10.3.1)' (http://www.novell.com/documentation/zcm10/readme/readme_zcm1031.html) See the support matrix table for the different supported versions. -- *DEV*...

10.0.3 to 10.0.3.2 Agent
This may have been briefly discussed but I figured that I'd throw my 2 cents worth in. Okay, I've had a number of my machines get the update to 10.0.3.2 and it's been running much better for me except for a couple of minor issues. One thing that I noticed though that the most recent of my installs weren't getting the patch. These are the machines that were originally installed with 10.0.3. I started looking into the problem and did a clean 10.0.3 install on a VM. To my dismay, the ZENupdater module was completely missing. No .dll, no .exe, nothing. So, I ...

10.2.2->10.3 Works, just 10.3 install doesn't
I have a very odd issue. If i install 10.2.2 and then upgrade it to 10.3 through the system update deployment, everything works fine. If i try to install 10.3 on a fresh machine without installing 10.2.2 first it starts failing on things like downloading DAU, downloading group policy files, etc. Any ideas? I have run the post-10.3 patch after installing it the day it came out. I have rebuilt my preagent packages.....still not working... Primary Server 1 10.3 Win2k8 Primary Server 2 10.3 Linux VMware appliance clients are all windows xp sp3 -- adisarro ---------...

A Mess, 10.0.3 to 10.0.3.2
Ok, I did the update over the weekend and we are in a slight mess. what has happened. previously we did the 10.0.3 update but didn't deploy the updated agent to machines due to the win32 collector issue (it only went to some workstations in a staging group). over the weekend, we updated our 2 zcm servers to 10.0.3, deployed the agents to 2 staging groups, one of which was all 10.0.3 agents, the other a mixed bag of 10.0.3 and 10.0.1. the 10.0.3 agents all updated and rebooted. the 10.0.1 is reporting that the update is assigned but the agents are not updating, they a...

Update 10.0.3 to 10.0.3.2
After a few attempts we got our Server to Version 10.0.3.2 Our clients won't Update to 10.0.3.2 also new Agent installations will only starts with Agent Version 10.0.3. Any solutions ?? Thx so far Jochen -- Jschwab72 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jschwab72, in the past, did you ever follow the process to manually update your agents on the server? -- Shaun Pond Shaun, yes we did it at the Update from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2. Jochen -- Jschwab72 --------------------------------------------------...

Issues updating to 10.0.3.2 from 10.0.3.0
Can anyone confirm that they have update to 10.0.3.2 and whether or not there were any issues or if the clients noticed anything? ZCM 10.1.0 is now available. It is recommended to update to this and not 10.0.3.2 ZCM 10.1.0 is only available via download.novell.com Please be sure to backup your DB prior to the upgrade. -- Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop Novell does not officially monitor these forums. Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own. These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational hum...

10.3.0a top 10.3.3 help>>about satys 10.3.2
Greetings, I have just upgraded to 10.3.3 from 10.3.0a When i open nalwin and go to about >> help it says 10.3.2 The file versions all say 10.3.3 Is this merely cosmetic? -- Don ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Donasutton, > I have just upgraded to 10.3.3 from 10.3.0a > > When i open nalwin and go to about >> help it says 10.3.2 > > The file versions all say 10.3.3 > > Is this merely cosmetic? You are correct. Never noticed it when I upgraded. NALWIN is merely a "wra...

Update 10.3.2 to 10.3.3 on primary server (sles 10) fails?
we tried to upgrade from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3 on the primary server first (Sles 10 SP3). Although the deployment stage reported success - the server shows still 10.3.2 for ZCM, ZAM und ZPM. we then tried to deploy 10.3.3 for one win7 sp1 workstation - with success. so, what can be done to bring the primary server to 10.3.3 or is it just showing the wrong version? Thanks for any help Andrej Hi! I've same here -- "Update for ZCM (10.3.3) - Update Completed", but server (SLES 11) show via ZCC 10.2.2. All updated WS's show 10.3.3. But, I have "slight"...

Old 10.0.3 agent rolls out after I install a new 10.2 machine
If I install 10.2 to a new machine I will get bundles from 10.0.3 rolling out to the machine after the reboot. Searching in the bundles cache(C:\Program Files\Novell\ZENworks\cache\zmd\ZenCache\) on the server I see all the MSIs are there for the 10.0.3 install. I don't have any bundles that do this install in ZCC. I am guessing this is happening at some deeper system level. How to I clear these out if they are not in my bundle list? Best Regards, Jim Koerner If you look at your SystemUpdate Tab, Do you still see 10.0.3 Listed? If so, I wou...

Bundles from 10.0.3 install after a new 10.1.2 install
I have installed 10.1.2 on some new client machines and after the install I am noticing bundles from 10.0.3 are installing from somewhere. I don't make any 10.0.3 bundles so I am guessing it is some type of auto update that did not get shut off. Anyone have a idea where I can kill this off? Windows 2003SP2 server w/ ZCM 10.1.2 Thanks, Jim Koerner Jim, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might tr...

Web resources about - 10.2.0 to 10.3.3 - CASA install hang - novell.zenworks.cfg.10.agent

Facebook Asks Users To Install Messenger For Windows
Just days after officially rolling out Messenger for Windows , Facebook has begun prompting people to install the application. Some Facebook ...

New ways to reach the right people with mobile app install ads
Since we launched mobile app install ads six months ago, we have added several new features to improve the product for users and developers. ...

Facebook Director of Product Management Doug Purdy discusses Parse, Mobile App Install Ads
... discussed about mobile app discovery difficulties faced by developers. He discussed how developers can use the platform to drive app installations ...

WA Premier Colin Barnett urges City of Joondalup to install shark net at Sorrento Beach - PerthNow Search ...
PREMIER Colin Barnett has urged the City of Joondalup to “get on with it” and install a shark net at Sorrento Beach.

Vermont utility says it will be the first to install Tesla powerwalls in the US
... Power) Customers of Green Mountain Power (GMP) in Vermont will be the first in the US to have Tesla Powerwall stationary batteries installed ...

Adware uses Android's accessibility features to install malware
There’s an adware out there which uses features for the visually impaired to install malicious apps on an Android-powered device. The worst part ...

Microsoft confirms Windows 10 tried to secretly install itself on old machines
Yes, not too long ago, Microsoft apologized for automatically installing Windows 10 on older Windows 7 or Windows 8 machines. But although Microsoft ...

Don't want to install that smartphone app? With Google, you may not have to
The search giant is experimenting with tech that lets you use apps without downloading them. It's part of Google's plan to keep its crown when ...