Force Distribution works and works not

Hi,
I'm a little bit confused. I set up a policy for distributing a M$
Service Pack to some workstations. During the test of the policy I did

not use the option "Force run" and "Run once". I used the distribution

over a NAL icon and everything worked fine.

Now I tried to distribute the application to a group of workstations
with the option "Force run" and "Run once". I removed the option for
the
NAL icon and increased the version number.

But it doesn't work... pls help me get it working...

thx in advance

Marcus

0
Marcus
9/4/2003 11:43:39 AM
novell.zenworks.4x.management 2122 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Marcus Bungert says...
> Now I tried to distribute the application to a group of workstations

> with the option "Force run" and "Run once". I removed the option for
the
> NAL icon and increased the version number.

if you associate an app to a wks and check force run it will run as
soon
as the workstation starts, that can be a problem, there is an option
wait for user login in this case..
--
BTW: I will be on BS Europe and on vacation till 28. September
so please remind me of any open thread when I'm back ;-)

Marcus Breiden

Please change -- to - to mail me.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.edu-magic.net

0
Marcus
9/4/2003 2:23:12 PM
Marcus Breiden schrieb:

> if you associate an app to a wks and check force run it will run as
soon
> as the workstation starts, that can be a problem, there is an option
> wait for user login in this case..

I know the option to wait for user login (Run as unsecure system user)

and the option is already set.

thx,
Marcus

0
Marcus
9/4/2003 3:10:05 PM
Marcus Breiden schrieb:
> Marcus Bungert says...
>
>>Now I tried to distribute the application to a group of workstations

>>with the option "Force run" and "Run once". I removed the option for
the
>>NAL icon and increased the version number.
>>

> if you associate an app to a wks and check force run it will run as
soon
> as the workstation starts, that can be a problem, there is an option
> wait for user login in this case..

OK, I tried it again and with the following options it works. But this

is only for my testing enviroment:

Distribute always
Ask before distribution
Run as unsecure system user
Force run
App. Launcher Icon

Push the application out for automatic installation I changed it to
the
following:

Distribute always
Run Once
Run as unsecure system user
Force run

Then I tried the following settings:

Distribute always
Run once
Run as unsecure system user
Force run
App. Launcher Icon

Between the tries I increased the version number.

thx for help,
Marcus

0
Marcus
9/4/2003 4:34:14 PM
Marcus Bungert says...
>> if you associate an app to a wks and check force run it will run as
soon
>> as the workstation starts, that can be a problem, there is an
option to
>> wait for user login in this case..
>
> I know the option to wait for user login (Run as unsecure system
user)
> and the option is already set.

hmmmm... in this case.. did you configure the application launcher to
look for wks group associations? (disabled by default)
--
BTW: I will be on BS Europe and on vacation till 28. September
so please remind me of any open thread when I'm back ;-)

Marcus Breiden

Please change -- to - to mail me.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.edu-magic.net

0
Marcus
9/4/2003 4:55:05 PM
Marcus Breiden schrieb:
> Marcus Bungert says...

> hmmmm... in this case.. did you configure the application launcher
> look for wks group associations? (disabled by default)

I tried already both options. So I added each Workstation to the
policy
and after that I gave the Workstationgroup a try (after enabling it to

the App.Launcher).

thx,
Marcus

0
Marcus
9/4/2003 5:01:30 PM
Marcus Bungert schrieb:

> Marcus Breiden schrieb:
>
>> Marcus Bungert says...
>

>> hmmmm... in this case.. did you configure the application launcher
>> look for wks group associations? (disabled by default)
>

> I tried already both options. So I added each Workstation to the
policy
> and after that I gave the Workstationgroup a try (after enabling it
> the App.Launcher).
>
> thx,
> Marcus

Now, I noticed that after activating "Force run" the App.Launcher
hangs
(Tasklist: No Response) and the status bar of the Launcher says:
"Refreshing Application Launcher"

The Application Launcher is startet from the workstation via autostart

folder.

thx,
Marcus

0
Marcus
9/4/2003 5:34:47 PM
Marcus Bungert says...
> I tried already both options. So I added each Workstation to the
policy
> and after that I gave the Workstationgroup a try (after enabling it
> the App.Launcher).

why policy?
--
BTW: I will be on BS Europe and on vacation till 28. September
so please remind me of any open thread when I'm back ;-)

Marcus Breiden

Please change -- to - to mail me.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.edu-magic.net

0
Marcus
9/4/2003 5:55:45 PM
Marcus Bungert says...
> OK, I tried it again and with the following options it works. But
this
> is only for my testing enviroment:

good, come back if it doesn't work in your normal environment.
--
BTW: I will be on BS Europe and on vacation till 28. September
so please remind me of any open thread when I'm back ;-)

Marcus Breiden

Please change -- to - to mail me.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.edu-magic.net

0
Marcus
9/4/2003 5:55:46 PM
Marcus Bungert says...
> Now, I noticed that after activating "Force run" the App.Launcher
hangs
> (Tasklist: No Response) and the status bar of the Launcher says:
> "Refreshing Application Launcher"
>
> The Application Launcher is startet from the workstation via
autostart
> folder.

set it to unsecure system, looks like it's waiting for an input, but
make sure it is not starting before user login, otherwise it will
always
be secure system.
--
BTW: I will be on BS Europe and on vacation till 28. September
so please remind me of any open thread when I'm back ;-)

Marcus Breiden

Please change -- to - to mail me.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.edu-magic.net

0
Marcus
9/4/2003 6:41:13 PM
Marcus Breiden schrieb:

> Marcus Bungert says...
>
>>OK, I tried it again and with the following options it works. But
this
>>is only for my testing enviroment:
>>

> good, come back if it doesn't work in your normal environment.

It doesn't work the way I expected...

Now, Service Pack is distributed after each login to the workstation
without the 'Run once' option.

If set 'Run once' the service pack will never distribute (after
increasing the version number...)

What the hell am I doing wrong??

thx,
Marcus

0
Marcus
9/10/2003 11:49:47 AM
Marcus Bungert says...

> It doesn't work the way I expected...
>
> Now, Service Pack is distributed after each login to the workstation

> without the 'Run once' option.
>
> If set 'Run once' the service pack will never distribute (after
> increasing the version number...)
>
> What the hell am I doing wrong??

make a system requirement to a file or similar out of the SP and
configure it in a way so that the app will only show up if the file is

NOT there, so will only run if the sp is not installed.
--
BTW: I will be on BS Europe and on vacation till 28. September
so please remind me of any open thread when I'm back ;-)

Marcus Breiden

Please change -- to - to mail me.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.edu-magic.net

0
Marcus
9/10/2003 2:33:06 PM
Marcus Breiden schrieb:

> make a system requirement to a file or similar out of the SP and
> configure it in a way so that the app will only show up if the file
is
> NOT there, so will only run if the sp is not installed.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me because in most cases I do
not
know the files of a service pack.... I will try to make my problem
more
clear to you.

- Run once, Run as unsecure system user and show icon (NAL)
With these settings the user is able to run/install the application

- Run once, Run as unsecure system user, force run and show icon (NAL)

With these settings the icon disappears from NAL and doesn't show up
again after removing 'Run once'. The icon appears again after
increasing
the version number (without run force). No application is installed
with
the force run option.

Who can explain the distribution step by step by an example to me?
Yes,
I read the documentation... but as you can see, it doesn't work as I
understood it.

thx,
Marcus

0
Marcus
9/10/2003 4:06:53 PM
Try this

As part of the delivery of the service pack, create a registry entry
say
"HKLM\WSServicePack\ServiceackName and give it a value.
Then make this applciation object availiblity dependent on on this
string
NOT being there.

This way the applcaion will only deliver once to the workstations that
do
not have the key set.

Hope it helps

Fred Nolan
CNE 2/3/4/5

"Marcus Bungert" <marcus_ffm@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Marcus Breiden schrieb:
>
> > make a system requirement to a file or similar out of the SP and
> > configure it in a way so that the app will only show up if the
file is
> > NOT there, so will only run if the sp is not installed.
>
> Sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me because in most cases I do
not
> know the files of a service pack.... I will try to make my problem
more
> clear to you.
>
> - Run once, Run as unsecure system user and show icon (NAL)
> With these settings the user is able to run/install the application
>
> - Run once, Run as unsecure system user, force run and show icon
(NAL)
> With these settings the icon disappears from NAL and doesn't show up

> again after removing 'Run once'. The icon appears again after
increasing
> the version number (without run force). No application is installed
with
> the force run option.
>
> Who can explain the distribution step by step by an example to me?
Yes,
> I read the documentation... but as you can see, it doesn't work as I

> understood it.
>
> thx,
> Marcus

0
Fred

Working
I have two servers running NW65sp4A (different trees). I initially installed BM3.8 patched to sp4 with VPN services ( Firewall services to follow after I know I have VPN working). My problem is that it appears to be working but its not working. I can open my Windows Explorer (from the SLAVE side network) and reach the MASTER, authenticate and open files. The MASTER NRM VPN monitor shows 1 (one) Active Connections 0 (zero) Packets Received and lots of Packets Sent. The VPN Member List Status shows both servers as �Being Configured�. The Audit Log has two recurring RED entrie...

Internet working. Package management not working
Hello all, I use an internet connection with a proxy. I have set the proxy in Firefox and systemsettings so now I can browse the web and I can ping Google from Console. But when I start Software Management, it says "Cannot access installation media". Whats wrong? -- wirate ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Did you setup the proxy on YaST2? Network Serveces -> Proxy -- VampirD Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning Stops working when you open a window. ------------------------------------------------------...

unescaping working or not working
I have created a very simple webservice, which returns a string like this : <div>hello world</div>. When returning the string, it is encoded like this:  "\u003cdiv\u003eHello world\u003c/div\u003e". I would then like to place the returned string (in the variable called value) on a div in my HTML like this:        $get('myDiv').innerHTML=unescape(value);But the value is not decoded/unescaped. If I then start firebug and enter: unescape( "\u003cdiv\u003eHello world\u003c/div\u003e") it is decoded/unescaped correct. Wh...

UA - Work Dashboard
Anyone seen this? How to fix? Some users continue to work, while others, this button no longer pops up the window to select someone's workflows. This was working before IE7, 8 & 9, and Firefox, but now it is not working, IE. these are the same browsers and same users. We already have (7) SR's open, should we open another? -- jabrownzz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ............and here is debug of html code...... showManage: function(where) { if (!this._managePopin) { /* * If they got to this point we kn...

PXE no work to do... was working
My imaging setup was working friday, and now all of a sudden all I get is "no work to do" I have done a DSREPAIR and still nothing happens... Any ideas? sending PROXY_CMD_PXE_FILE packet proxyGetPXEFilename returned workToDo = 1 proxyGetPXEFilename returned SUCCESS PXE Filename = /cmds/z_auto.cmd pxeProxyInit Success EXIT ZENGetPXEFilename returning (workToDo) 0 EXIT ZENGetPXEFilename returning (filename) /cmds/z_auto.cmd -- joshund On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:19:30 GMT, joshund wrote: > Any ideas? any change? could you post the imgserv log when yo...

Does not work as Safari works
Name: Norihide Kimura Email: nkimuraatwtadotattdotnedotjp Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Does not work as Safari works Comments: Please refer to the URL http://web.mac.com/nori44/. There is PHOTOS(PARTY) which is clicable name on the topline of the page. When you click of it, ther should be appeared the photographs and you will be able to enjoy slidshows on Mac Safari or Firefox Windows version. But it doesn't work on Firefox Mac version. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; ja-JP-mac; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051202 Firefox/3.0 From...

Work offline does not work
Name: Saad Shamsaei Email: saaddotshamsaeiatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Work offline does not work Comments: Hello. i use ff 3.1 beta 2. i usually use work offline. ff3.1b2 was ok. but when i change option->offline storage cashe from 50 to 200 mb my ff got slow and haevy. i delete my offline data. and then browsed the web. but after that my work offline doesnt work! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b2) Gecko/20081201 Firefox/3.1b2 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a...

What work with IE does NOT work in FireFox
Name: Bill Schultz Email: altmailatbresnandotnet Product: Firefox Summary: What work with IE does NOT work in FireFox Comments: If you open http://www.allseeingeye.whatshisface.org in Internet Explorer and click on the links you will hear Audio Files play that are attached to the different web pages. You will also notice dissolve transitions between the pages. When you click on the 1st small eyeball you will see a form appear. Now run the same Web Site in FireFox. 1. No Audio. 2. No page transitions. 3. Instead of the form appearing, FireFox gives an error message. It...

Worked in 7. no work 8.
Just wondering if something has changed in the PB logic from PB 7 to 8. The thing that's not working is too complicated to tell in detail, but the overview is this. I have a window that has a static text object on it . This object is passed values that tells the user you are on "Record x of x", for a datawindow that is part of the window. My problem is this. I have a retrieve dialog that the user enters criteria in. If before bringing up the dialog the user is viewing record 1 of 1 but as a result of the new retrieve the window now has 150 records, this static text ...

Why work offline doesnt work ???
shit on firefox. Why work offline doesnt work ??? ...

Working alone or working with a team?
Which do you prefer?  I am not ashame to admit that I prefer to work alone, but I realize I don't know everything.  At the same time, I am not able to do as much as I want to because I am working in a team. Jonathan Cogley gave an interesting presentation on Pair Programming at a user group meeting I attended in January (the link to the presentation is in the blog comments). I like to work alone too, but I guess working on a team has its benefits, especially in a larger project. Just think what Microsoft Windows would be like if it was the work of just one person. ...

question on why something works/does not work
Hello all -    I have a web form in which I have a radiobuttonlist where the user answers a yes/no question, and depending on what they answer, a different set of controls become enabled.  These controls are initally disabled by design time settings. I initally tired using rb = document.getElementById('rbname') and it returned an object, but I could not get its length nor could I use something like rb[0].checked.  Both gave me undefined values. However, if I use document.forms[0].rbname everything works just fine.   Why???   Thanks, Joe   &nb...

iManager not works, but apache works
hello, question; the iManager works not. but the apache runs, i can access webpages over the remote manager. how do i have to configure iManager, to work with? thanks for ideas > hello, > > question; the iManager works not. but the apache runs, i can access > webpages over the remote manager. > > how do i have to configure iManager, to work with? > > thanks for ideas Is iManager installed? You can check by going to NWCONFIG > Product Options > View...installed products > iManager 2.5.0 Novell iManager 2.5, or something similar, ...

ODBC do not work, OpenClient work????
I try to connect to Asa 6.0.4 last ebf from W2k trough dial-up and ISDN-router. I can browse and connect with OpenClient but not with ODBC. I have tried all tricks described in the instructions in Sybase site. Does anybody know a better ODBC because this made by Sybase do not work. (Or is Sybase going to do something to it?) Pauli Sammalisto what tricks did you try ? What is the problem, or the error message ? "Pauli Sammalisto" <ent@icon.fi> wrote in message news:zdc30PvXCHA.161@forums.sybase.com... > I try to connect to Asa 6.0.4 last ebf from W2k trou...

Web resources about - Force Distribution works and works not - novell.zenworks.4x.management

Probability distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about probability distribution. For generalized functions in mathematical analysis, see Distribution (mathematics) . For other ...

Raid on Coles distribution centre uncovers truck defects and drug use
A raid on a Coles distribution centre at Sydney's Eastern Creek led to two drivers returning positive drug tests and 62 defect notices issued. ...

Apple opens subsidiary company for direct distribution in its fastest-growing iPhone market
... breaking coverage of AAPL Company , iOS Devices , and iPhone . What do you think? Discuss "Apple opens subsidiary company for direct distribution ...

With only one foot in the digital distribution door, Amazon fails where Netflix succeeds
The digital revolution isn't coming; it's been here for a while. For many, the decision to watch a movie or TV show hinges on whether they can ...

Tennessee School Bans Distribution of Bibles
A Tennessee school system has put in place a new ban on the distribution of all religious materials, including the Christian Bible

THE MOBILE DISTRIBUTION REPORT: Why social platforms and mobile apps are essential for delivering publisher ...
... time consuming media on mobile devices and less time reading on newspapers, magazines, and desktop computers, publishers must adapt their distribution ...

Tom Hiddleston’s ‘High Rise’ finally gets American distribution, but not until 2016
I’ve been complaining for a few months now that the Autumn/Winter of Hiddles ended up being a real let-down . Crimson Peak was released back ...

Chinese Internet Company Tencent Gets James Bond Films Online Distribution Rights
Chinatopix Chinese Internet Company Tencent Gets James Bond Films Online Distribution Rights Chinatopix (Photo : Photo by Adam Berry/Getty ...

CRN Exclusive: Cisco's Global Distribution Sales Leader Is 'Transforming ...
CRN CRN Exclusive: Cisco's Global Distribution Sales Leader Is 'Transforming ... CRN Cisco's global distribution organization is ripe for ...

Anchor Bay Nabs U.S. Distribution Rights To Crime Drama ‘What Lola Wants’
Starz subsidiary Anchor Bay Entertainment has acquired U.S. Rights, including Blu-ray/DVD, VOD and Digital HD, to What Lola Wants , a new crime ...